Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
Okay. Spent a while now (less than an hour) trying to figure this one out.

Saw a movie in a theater, late 1990s. There were two movies to choose between, and one of them was I think some kind of Shakespeare-y romance movie. Might've been Shakespeare in Love, might've not been. (I feel like there were a few matching that description around then, right?) My brother and I, as teen/preteen boys, decided against that one and so our dad took us to the other.

Afterwards, we all agreed this was a mistake.

So. Mid or late 90s. Kind of a Sci-Fi Horror, modern setting. Set mostly/entirely on a ship at sea. Decent amount of the time, the ship was in the middle of the eye of a hurricane. Obligatory talk about it being calm/clear but the eyewall being the strongest part of the storm.

I think maybe the ship was some kind of research vessel, maybe everyone on board had died and the main cast were investigating the mystery.

Somewhere in this, lightning(?) is involved. Maybe lightning strikes the ship, maybe the ship was designed for that. I feel like lightning is either making the ship itself a hostile entity (like Event Horizon) or maybe people are being threatened by electrical arcs within the ship.

It was not a good movie. My other memory of it was that the print had a massive scratch and so there was a green line running down one side of the screen for almost the entire film. But that doesn't help identify it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crackmaster
Feb 6, 2004
Sounds like it could be Virus? I remember liking it at the time as a teenager, but I haven't seen it since, and from what I've seen everyone (including its cast, e.g. Jamie Lee Curtis) say it really is a huge piece of poo poo.

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

Any chance that was Virus, starring Jamie Lee Curtis and some Baldwin?

edit: beaten, but holy poo poo were those cyber-monsters memorable in a bad way.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
That looks like it! Thank you both!

Now to never watch it again.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Crackmaster posted:

Sounds like it could be Virus? I remember liking it at the time as a teenager, but I haven't seen it since, and from what I've seen everyone (including its cast, e.g. Jamie Lee Curtis) say it really is a huge piece of poo poo.

Wow, I just read the Trivia on its IMDB page and:

quote:

Jamie Lee Curtis has admitted to hating this film, calling it "the worst movie ever made". She added that she lobbied hard to have the director fired and replaced by Steve Miner, with whom she had made Halloween H20: 20 Years Later (1998). However, he wasn't available, as he was working on Dawson's Creek (1998)).

quote:

In an IGN.com interview, Jamie Lee Curtis said the following about Virus (1999): "Rob Reiner, for his 40th birthday, had a bad show business party where everybody brought show business clips. Rob's was playing a hippie on Gomer Pyle: USMC (1964) singing 'Blowin' in the Wind'. Virus (1999) is so bad that it's shocking. That would be the all time piece of poo poo. It's just dreadful. That's the only good reason to be in bad movies. Then when your friends have [bad] movies you can say 'Ahhhh, I've got the best one. I'm bringing Virus (1999).'"

Reading the plot, it sounds like it would have been rendered better as an X-Files episode.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Reading the plot, it sounds like it would have been rendered better as an X-Files episode.

It was so bad.

Might've been a decent X-Files episode, yeah.

Edit: And checking the release date, Virus came out January 15, 1999, while Shakespeare in Love had its USA wide release January 8, 1999. (Limited release was in December 1998, so it gets called a 1998 movie.) Mystery solved!

Maybe I should watch Shakespeare in Love. I don't think I ever have.

Vavrek fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Sep 19, 2022

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Honestly, I don’t get the hate for it. I liked it when I rewatched it a few months ago. Makes for a great double feature with Deep Rising.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Deep rising is so schlocky and yet it has some of the nastiest most hosed up monster movie deaths

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Hannibal Rex posted:

That's awesome. Hilarious that it worked in real life.

Yeah, that's the one. Maybe it works for you without the timestamp?

https://youtu.be/MfRi-a8hPh0

Ahhh, that’s the good stuff.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Alan Smithee posted:

Deep rising is so schlocky and yet it has some of the nastiest most hosed up monster movie deaths

I really love Deep Rising because they go all in at every corner. Heavy gore, ridiculously over the top mercenaries, 80s one liners, and the most hyperactive monster cgi imaginable. The DNA for The Mummy is really visible.

Virus is like the toned down version of this in every day. Lower energy, grimmer, grimier, and less fun. That said, one character freaks out and becomes an insane tinkerer so there's that and there's a few moments of conceptual horror that make it worthwhile. At one point a character parlays with the monster which is unique.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Ape Agitator posted:

I really love Deep Rising because they go all in at every corner. Heavy gore, ridiculously over the top mercenaries, 80s one liners, and the most hyperactive monster cgi imaginable. The DNA for The Mummy is really visible.

Virus is like the toned down version of this in every day. Lower energy, grimmer, grimier, and less fun. That said, one character freaks out and becomes an insane tinkerer so there's that and there's a few moments of conceptual horror that make it worthwhile. At one point a character parlays with the monster which is unique.

I kind of liked Evil Cyborg Donald Sutherland.

Not how he was used in the movie, mind you. But like, conceptually it made me pretty happy.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I have two I've been trying to track down but can remember very little about. The first is French. A young woman dies in a suicide that may not have been a suicide and her brother is heartbroken. The main character, another young woman, makes a bargain with the dead woman's ex boyfriend. She agrees to seduce the brother and cheer him up. In return, the ex boyfriend will sleep with her. A lot of it is set at a Lysee, an elite school and she spends a lot of the movie watching the dead woman's video diaries.

EDIT: I'm reasonably sure this was a 90s film, possibly late 80s.

The other I remember far less about. I think it's Italian or Spanish. It's mostly about a playboy screwing up and ruining his own life. There's only two scenes I really remember. One is a hilarious scene (possibly unintentionally) where he helps a beautiful woman cross a road before a smash cut to them having sex in a hotel. He says, in voiceover, "Women love me, it is my gift." The other scene is much later in the film. He gets out of prison and a woman who lives nearby takes him in and they very awkardly seduce each other when she drops something, gets on the floor to pick it up and crawls towards him. Those very strange scenes have been stuck in my head for years and I'm desperate to put them in context.

EDIT: no idea when this was made, but probably the 70s or 80s.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Sep 22, 2022

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I believe Chinese movie from the 80s or 90s (or no later than early 2000s), there was a commercial for it on the Internation channel (i channel) back in....I wanna say early 2000s (or late 90s)

it's about policemen in Asia who have to clean the streets of wild dogs using limited resources which is contrasted with the iirc Dolph Lundgren action movie they watch on a tv where he's firing a machine gun

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Animation (might have been anime) from the 70s or maybe early 80s where people (including a wizard) play cats like guitars. Saw it on YouTube a year or two ago and can't find it again.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

TTBF posted:

Animation (might have been anime) from the 70s or maybe early 80s where people (including a wizard) play cats like guitars. Saw it on YouTube a year or two ago and can't find it again.
Oruorane the Cat Player [neko hiki no oruorane]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44YQvek1JZ8

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erLCGSb56KI&t=1474s

what's this car chase originally from?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Short Time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXIZdhoJmY4

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

ty

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Oruorane the Cat Player [neko hiki no oruorane]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44YQvek1JZ8

Yep that's it, thank you

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth
Can someone help me find a documentary? Watched it about 8-9 years ago in media studies undergrad. Made in the late 00s I think. Called Mediocracy or Media-ocracy or something like that. It's (at least partially) about the Italian news and entertainment media, Silvio Berlusconi, and Italian attitudes toward gender roles. There was a recurring motif of gloved hands shuffling playing cards with media logos on them, I think.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

Gertrude Perkins posted:

Can someone help me find a documentary? Watched it about 8-9 years ago in media studies undergrad. Made in the late 00s I think. Called Mediocracy or Media-ocracy or something like that. It's (at least partially) about the Italian news and entertainment media, Silvio Berlusconi, and Italian attitudes toward gender roles. There was a recurring motif of gloved hands shuffling playing cards with media logos on them, I think.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Videocracy_(film)

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
Trying to remember an obscure sci fi movie, it was spoken of in the 2001 book The Horror Movie Survival Guide. All I can remember is 1) It seemed based on environmental issues, 2) It had a scientist somehow get turned into a swarm of unnatural insects/other stuff that might be microscopic, 3) The scientist swarm could swarm people with certain injuries or diseases and heal them, 4) He genetically modified his son to survive in the bad future screwed up enviroment (I think it was a 'ozone's gone, sun is deadly now' thing, and 5) There's a quote from the scientist espousing about himself that begins with "I'm the sneeze."

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Cornwind Evil posted:

Trying to remember an obscure sci fi movie, it was spoken of in the 2001 book The Horror Movie Survival Guide. All I can remember is 1) It seemed based on environmental issues, 2) It had a scientist somehow get turned into a swarm of unnatural insects/other stuff that might be microscopic, 3) The scientist swarm could swarm people with certain injuries or diseases and heal them, 4) He genetically modified his son to survive in the bad future screwed up enviroment (I think it was a 'ozone's gone, sun is deadly now' thing, and 5) There's a quote from the scientist espousing about himself that begins with "I'm the sneeze."

You mean Habitat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_bhJM297v0

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Philadelphia Experiment 2.

Okay. Here's the thing, this ISN'T the movie I'm thinking of, but the trailer is the thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OeF97LDr84&t=57s
For a few seconds in the trailer there's a 'melting effect' in the trailer with the toaster I'm 100% sure I saw in the trailer for another film a year or so before or after this. The IMDB nor Wiki seem to give any clues to this effect being reused in another film or an alternate title of PE2 that I might have seen as a trailer.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
That’s a fairly standard mild warping effect used all over the place in the mid 90s. I remember both Sliders and The X-Files doing very similar.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mbBbFH9fAg

Soundgarden - Black Hole Sun uses the same morph effects

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

happyhippy posted:

Soundgarden - Black Hole Sun uses the same morph effects
Yeah, that poo poo was everywhere in the 90s - real "we have a new toy" vibes.

As an aside, I actually remember the original version of the Black Hole Sun video that used the morph effect much more sparingly and, as a result, didn't look like complete dogshit :v:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It was also on a bunch of Nickelodeon shows, iirc. It must have been part of whatever standard low-budget graphics package everyone was using.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Cross posting from the silly questions thread.

McCracAttack posted:

Does anyone remember a WW2 movie about American and Japanese soldiers getting stranded on an island and having to form a truce in order to protect the only fresh water spring on the island from flooding with sea water during a storm?

Someone already said that sounded like Hell in the Pacific but I seem to remember more than one soldier on each side. Were there any other movies with this plot?

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

McCracAttack posted:

Someone already said that sounded like Hell in the Pacific but I seem to remember more than one soldier on each side. Were there any other movies with this plot?

Kong: Skull Island, but its still only two soldiers total. And there is nothing about protecting the water supply. And its mostly a backstory for a supporting character. Also, I feel like you'd remember the giant ape.

Pretty sure this isn't your movie.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Cat Hatter posted:

Kong: Skull Island, but its still only two soldiers total. And there is nothing about protecting the water supply. And its mostly a backstory for a supporting character. Also, I feel like you'd remember the giant ape.

Pretty sure this isn't your movie.

Yeah but John C Reilly can paper over a lot of problems like that.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

McCracAttack posted:

Could it be None but the Brave?

Haven't seen it so I dunno about the specific spring water thing, but it sounds pretty similar.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Martman posted:

Could it be None but the Brave?

Haven't seen it so I dunno about the specific spring water thing, but it sounds pretty similar.

Yeah, this looks like it. Thanks! Hadn't thought about this movie in forever then it just randomly popped back into my head the other day.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
OK, this is one for Swedish goons:

It's a comedy about someone trying to make a movie for a film festival like Cannes. Through lies and cheats, they get a famous actor and tries to get him to have sex with a moose. Someone gets stabbed in the leg with a fork. Everyone masturbates while having fantasies about each other or the movie succeeding. In the end they win the award.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

evobatman posted:

OK, this is one for Swedish goons:

It's a comedy about someone trying to make a movie for a film festival like Cannes. Through lies and cheats, they get a famous actor and tries to get him to have sex with a moose. Someone gets stabbed in the leg with a fork. Everyone masturbates while having fantasies about each other or the movie succeeding. In the end they win the award.

I haven't seen it but it's not
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0173716/

right

i tried googling swedish but that hornied up my search results

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
So this scene popped into my head earlier today and I can't for the life of me remember where it's from or who's in it. It goes about like this:

Guy (possibly the main antagonist) gets shot in the chest.
He barely flinches and the bullet just leaves a neat little hole in his jacket, so there's this fleeting moment of "wait, did he have a vest or something?"
Then the guy just nonchalantly puts a cigarette in his mouth, is about to light (or possibly actually lights) it, and THEN the hole starts bleeding and he collapses.

I can't even remember the setting of the movie; It might have been a western, or set in the 50s-ish, or more modern day. The scene was obviously made to be slightly comical, but I don't think the movie was some kind of super wacky goofball comedy. It's not a very recent movie but not super old either: I don't wanna give too tight an estimate because I don't remember it well enough, but I'd say the timeframe is 80s to early 2000s.

There also may actually be several movies with similar scenes blending together in my head, so feel free to suggest even something where any of the details (sparse though they are) are different somehow.

EDIT: It suddenly came to me that the scene I'm (mainly) thinking about was in a Finnish action/thriller film Raid, from 2003, though I sadly can't find a clip of said scene. However I still feel like there may have been other similar scenes that were making my memory so hazy, so if the description reminds anyone of some other movie, do speak up.

EDIT 2: To specify, the last bit with the cigarette-before-collapsing is the key part here that got this whole thing stuck in my head.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Oct 17, 2022

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Nordick posted:

So this scene popped into my head earlier today and I can't for the life of me remember where it's from or who's in it. It goes about like this:

Guy (possibly the main antagonist) gets shot in the chest.
He barely flinches and the bullet just leaves a neat little hole in his jacket, so there's this fleeting moment of "wait, did he have a vest or something?"
Then the guy just nonchalantly puts a cigarette in his mouth, is about to light (or possibly actually lights) it, and THEN the hole starts bleeding and he collapses.

I can't even remember the setting of the movie; It might have been a western, or set in the 50s-ish, or more modern day. The scene was obviously made to be slightly comical, but I don't think the movie was some kind of super wacky goofball comedy. It's not a very recent movie but not super old either: I don't wanna give too tight an estimate because I don't remember it well enough, but I'd say the timeframe is 80s to early 2000s.

There also may actually be several movies with similar scenes blending together in my head, so feel free to suggest even something where any of the details (sparse though they are) are different somehow.

I feel like the Quick and the Dead had all the good gunshot reactions

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Trevor Hale posted:

I feel like the Quick and the Dead had all the good gunshot reactions

Nope, haven't watched that one (also, see the edit in my last post), but I looked up the final duel with Gene Hackman, and sure enough there was this similar fleeting "wait, did he get hit?" moment.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Nordick posted:

EDIT: It suddenly came to me that the scene I'm (mainly) thinking about was in a Finnish action/thriller film Raid, from 2003, though I sadly can't find a clip of said scene. However I still feel like there may have been other similar scenes that were making my memory so hazy, so if the description reminds anyone of some other movie, do speak up.
The same gag happens at the end of Kiss Kiss Bang Bang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

King of New York has a similar ending too.