Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Oh, this is rich:

quote:

You said the yards were really big with plenty of space?

OP posted:

They are the RV is huge. The house sits on one side of the property leaving the other side open. The tree was planted on the open side right in the middle of where the RV needed to go.

quote:

So you knew the tree was going to have to be cut and you lied about that here on your post?

Why was your dad so entitled to use your husband's aunt's property that he was mad when she said no?

Still TA

OP posted:

I knew if the RV was going there it would have to be removed. I just wanted my dad to finish the gate not move the RV in.

And from another thread:

OP posted:

No we can’t replant the tree. We can plant a new one and try and do better in the future. My dad said he wouldn’t have cut down the tree if he had known it’s sentimental aspect. It was a mistake. I do feel like his ain’t ghosting is is not ok we should be able to sit down and have a conversation about it.
https://twitter.com/dril/status/1279814327776624640

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Foo Diddley posted:

i like how dad isn't even the one renting the place, he just brings a construction crew over to his daughter's husband's aunt's place. three degrees of audacity right there, the owner probably doesn't know him from adam

e: lmao OP really doesn't get it
yeah good luck finding some sort of compromise

What compromise is this moron expecting to find? "Oh sure my parents would be willing to pay for the tree necromancer, our bad! The black druids of Nixl'thorple have an opening next week!"

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

QuarkJets posted:

What compromise is this moron expecting to find? "Oh sure my parents would be willing to pay for the tree necromancer, our bad! The black druids of Nixl'thorple have an opening next week!"

Something like that, yeah:

quote:

YTA, obviously and hugely. Everybody else already told you that.

However — if the felled tree is still there and still has live branches on it, you might be able to take some cuttings and make clones for your husband’s aunt. is won’t save you from getting evicted or from other consequences, but it might be a good start for showing contrition. The tree appreciation sub r/marijuanaenthusiasts (yes, really) can provide more instruction on taking and rooting fruit tree cuttings — and give you an idea of what the law thinks of your liability for the tree.

OP posted:

Thank you I will look into this. It’s a good first step.

Good news for husband, though:

OP posted:

My husband told me I had to find an apartment. If I don’t then he will go live with my in-laws. Who are mad at me right now. I am hoping it’s just out of anger and he will calm down. Either way I will keep trying.
She's just delusional, it's sad. Also I can't look away from this trainwreck, AITA?

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Absurd Alhazred posted:

“No we can’t replant the tree. We can plant a new one and try and do better in the future”

I don’t know if “tree planted by my beloved late husband” and “tree planted by my nephew’s dumbass wife and her idiot dad after they chopped down the tree planted by my beloved late husband” are really on equal levels here.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

wizardofloneliness posted:

I don’t know if “tree planted by my beloved late husband” and “tree planted by my nephew’s dumbass wife and her idiot dad after they chopped down the tree planted by my beloved late husband” are really on equal levels here.

Abloo bloo bloo, you're not even willing to compromise, so really, it's all your fault and we're blameless.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Cowslips Warren posted:

no one I know has such big of boob

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I don’t think she’s delusional as so much something is flat out missing. Like fundamentally not understanding cause and effect.

Plus a lovely dad who exploited that.

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

Considering who raised her I can't 100% find her at fault for not understanding normal interactions in society.

She's still at like 97% at fault though.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Her dad's a huge prick, and she seems to dumb to function. I wonder how much Dad will care once her husband leaves.

I also want to know how old everyone is.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

teen witch posted:

I don’t think she’s delusional as so much something is flat out missing. Like fundamentally not understanding cause and effect.

Plus a lovely dad who exploited that.
Or created it.

quote:

DEAR ABBY: I've read your column for years, frequently taking advice you provide to others and applying it to my circumstances. I have developed a mutual bond with a woman who is 30 -- 28 years younger than myself. She's a waitress at a diner I frequent. I've seen her children grow over the past six or seven years. We have had many meaningful conversations and shared our highs and lows. She's naturally friendly.

Three or four years ago, she began sharing casual side hugs when I arrived. I never ask for them. Over the last year, these hugs have become more intimate, not in a sexual way -- just a deeper bond of friendship. We occasionally IM when she's off work, but I don't see her socially.

Lately she has been teasing that she'll be my next ex. I reciprocate the flirting and teasing. I believe there is a mutual attraction. If not for the age difference, which I'm OK with, or the fear of causing issues with our friendship, I'd ask her out. Societal taboos weigh heavily on my mind, and I am pragmatic. Should I or shouldn't I? Or am I reading too much into our friendship? -- UNSURE IN THE MIDWEST

DEAR UNSURE: Not having witnessed the chemistry between the two of you, I couldn't say. However, nothing ventured, nothing gained. The next time you see her, after one of those "more intimate" hugs, tell her teasingly that you have been thinking about her comment that she'll be your next ex and ask if she'd like to have dinner with you sometime. Her response will tell you if you have been reading too much into the friendship.
Prepare for heartbreak, old man

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I feel like any one of us could write a better relationship advice column than any one that exists today, if only newspaper editors weren't so dead set against the phrase "acid vat"

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

therobit posted:

I’m gonna say that while what the 15 year old kid did was a discreet lovely act, the Dad and step-mom are the assholes for turning their home into a group home and adopting 7 kids when there are also two bio children there. I loving guarantee you that the bio kids are not getting gifts, choice snack food, and attention like the adopted 15 year old is and the bio 15 year old is obviously jealous. The parents are probably ignoring the bio kids in favor of adopting a million foster kids (probably for the money). This is not meant as a dig against people who foster or adopt a reasonable number of kids, but at a certain point you can’t do right by all of them.

I don't know how different this is in the US obviously, but where I'm from, the money you get for fostering children boils down to an income of about 40 cents an hour, and I kind of doubt it's that much more anywhere else. Doesn't even cover the normal costs of raising a child, and it's definitely not enough to buy the kid their own stash of headphones and sweets and still come out on top.

I do agree that seven foster children plus two biological ones is way too much and definitely means they can't give any child the care they need.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Cowslips Warren posted:

TREE LAW meets RENTAL.

AITA for my husbands aunts tree being cut down?

I hope the hammer of TREE LAW lands on these people hard.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

This image is...wait for it...evergreen :dadjoke:

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Fir gently caress’s sake.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Cloacamazing! posted:

I don't know how different this is in the US obviously, but where I'm from, the money you get for fostering children boils down to an income of about 40 cents an hour, and I kind of doubt it's that much more anywhere else. Doesn't even cover the normal costs of raising a child, and it's definitely not enough to buy the kid their own stash of headphones and sweets and still come out on top.

I do agree that seven foster children plus two biological ones is way too much and definitely means they can't give any child the care they need.

It depends greatly on the state but there are people who make a living doing it and there are also like farmers that just keep getting more foster kids to exploit for child labor. There are wonderful, loving people who really care but they don’t normally take in more kids than is reasonable. Also if you already have kids choosing to take on a high needs foster kid is going to be really detrimental to the existing kids.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for calling my sister useless and tell her she has to start pulling her weight?

quote:

I (33F) have a sister (23F) named Hannah. I am a SAHM and have 3 kids. I am incharge of 100% of the house hold duties while my husband takes care of the bills. Hannah met her husband (30M) when she was in college. They got married shortly after she graduated. Hannah is on the spectrum, gets overwhelmed very easily, and is a little slow. Because of this her husband told her that if she doesn't want to work she doesn't have to work and he will take care of everything. Hannah has never worked a day in her life. Her husband is a high earner and comes from a wealthy family, so money isn't a problem for them. She also rarely cooks or cleans. The most she will do is load the dishwasher and put dirty clothes in the washing machine. The only thing Hannah does during the day is play with her four cats or read. She likes to knit too.

Recently we were over at my parents house for dinner. During the dinner my mom would not stop gushing over how good my bil treats my sister. She almost started crying because of how happy she was my sister found someone who loves her and takes care of her. My mom even gave my bil a hug and thanked him for taking such good care of her. At the end of the dinner my mom picked up my dads plate, I picked up my husband plate, and I was expecting my sister to pick up her husbands plate. But no. My bil picked up my sisters plate and told her to go relax and when he does they can head back home. She asked him to hurry but don't rush because she is tired. He gave her a Kidd and told her he would be in a heartbeat. This didn't sit right with me.

When I got done doing mine and my husband dishes I went to the living room and saw my laying down on the couch. I went over to her and told her she should start contributing more to her household or her husband will get tired of her. She seemed confused at first and I said to her no man wants a useless wife. My bil walked in on me saying this and got very mad. He yelled at me that my sister isn't useless and worth isn't measured in how often she does dishes. He called me bitter and told me I was pathetic for talking to my sister that way. He thanked my parents for the lovely nigh and barged out of the house. My parents agreed with him and told me that I was being harsh and shouldn't intervene on my sisters marriage. They said that I should apologize to my sister and that I sound jealous of her. My husband told me I was right and that nobody but my bil would want to marry my sister and that she doesn't contribute anything to her household.

AITA for trying to give my sister marriage advice?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Strong unreliable narrator vibes from that post

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

God imagine having a partner so rich you can just not work, what a dream. Sounds like the "lazy" sister hit the jackpot and gets to live a chill life of leisure. Sounds nice.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

that sister's living the life vs bitter op whos Definitely Not jealous of her and hates her for petty reasons (and her ableist attitude)

AITA For causing a scene on my father's birthday by telling my elderly parents that my brother isn't special because he was "gifted" as a child or change the fact that he's doing nothing with his life?

quote:

(38m) My brother (40m) Alex was a "gifted" child. He believed he was above others because he got good grades without studying. Our parents enabled it and always told him he was special. The school often requested parent meetings to explain that Alex was being rude to others kids. They would come home and say how the school was jealous of Alex since he was so much smarter than "regular" kids.

Alex cruised through elementary, middle, and high school, but he crashed and burned in college because then he couldn't just ace an exam by skimming the textbook once. On top of his lack of study skills, none of the other students wanted to work with him or invite him to study groups because of his bad attitude. Alex barely graduated.

Alex is unable to keep a job because he cannot work with others and wants everything his own way. He lives with our parents, who handle all his adult responsibilities and tell him the world is wrong because he's special and average people just can't understand his problems. I can't deal with Alex most days and I only visit my parents on special occasions like last week.

Last week was my father's birthday. I, my wife, and stepdaughter (13f) Cristina came to their house for dinner. Cristina is a great kid and my wife and I are both extremely proud of her. We just finished dinner and were talking at the table, so Cristina went to the den to practice her lines. (She was cast as Ophelia in her school's production of Hamlet!) Alex asked where Cristina went and I explained that she was practicing for her school play.

Alex started saying theater was useless and it was just for obnoxious people who aren't of a "high intellectual standing" like him. I told Alex he was out of line and to drop it. Alex responded that "Hey, I know she'll never be as smart as me. But she can at least do something useful with her time." I told Alex to shut the hell up and he would know a lot about being useless because at 40 he's living off our parents like a baby.

My parents tried to scold me while insisting Alex is exceptional and other people don't understand him. I told them that Alex isn't special nor exceptional just because he was a "gifted" child and he has no right to attack Cristina's passion, especially when he's doing nothing with his life. My wife and I got Cristina from the den and left.

I've been getting non-stop calls and texts from the rest of the family telling me what an immature dick I was. They're saying how Cristina couldn't even hear what Alex was saying from the den, but I had to cause a scene on my father's birthday and give my elderly parents stress by calling Alex useless and arguing with them. They said that they don't approve of Alex living with my parents, but their lives are their choice and I should have shown sympathy because I know it can be hard with Alex. I won't apologize for defending Cristina, but my family is making me worry that I did it the wrong way.

alex is So Gifted, which is why hes picking on a 13 year old; god hes like one of those characters in movies where they peaked in high school

https://twitter.com/OnTheDownLoTho/status/1572386908348755968

Old Woman Island
Feb 21, 2011

bell jar posted:

In grade 1 or 2, the local bank would come around and hand out educational merch on how banking works, and get all the kids set up with their own bank account. They've stopped it now because it's anti-competitive, which is a shame! But I do know a lot of adults with Commonwealth Bank accounts because they've had the same account since they were 7 years old.

How could you remind me of this...
All of my Dollarmites, lost to time... :negative:

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Old Woman Island posted:

How could you remind me of this...
All of my Dollarmites, lost to time... :negative:

forever in our hearts

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

bell jar posted:

You can do it from 12 years old here (Australia)

Something similar in the UK. I've literally had the same bank account since I was like 14 (though the name of the bank's changed since it got bought out).

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Hughlander posted:

How is that even posh? I thought the whole posh thing with tea is that the water never boils because the boiling water will scald the tea and is less flavorful. Think that's just a bunch of Americans writing a post about how they imagine posh brits to be like.

Making tea with a teabag in a cup is posh?! Err, no, mate, that's how my granny on the council estate (and everyone else) does it. Like, if you're actually going to be fancy, you've heard of teapots, yes? And you'd use loose leaf tea. And stereotypically lemon juice instead of milk.

Her way is still better than boiling a teabag in a saucepan though, wtaf.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I opened an account with Barclays when I was 12 because they had a branch in my village. That's long gone of course. And I never even got the ceramic pigs they were supposed to send out.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

feedmegin posted:

And stereotypically lemon juice instead of milk.
This would depend on the tea, of course.

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

Mx. posted:

forever in our hearts
School banking... :allears:

Evil Willow posted:

I’m (25F) straight, but my best friend (24F) keeps making comments that the way how I present myself is bisexual
...Queer coding is a thing in media where a character is intended to be queer, but it's implied instead of said outright for whatever reason. It's impossible for a real person to be queer coded. Also, why would it matter if she was single or not? Being in a relationship doesn't make a bi person not bi.

Shwoo fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Sep 25, 2022

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for calling my sister useless and tell her she has to start pulling her weight?

At the end of the dinner my mom picked up my dads plate, I picked up my husband plate, and I was expecting my sister to pick up her husbands plate.

Is this some weird tradwife stuff? Why would the wives just take their husbands plates, and not whoever is clearing the table take as many as they can carry?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
One of the fun parts of autism is when people spontaneously invent new social conventions specifically to gently caress you over and everyone goes along with it.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Elfface posted:

Is this some weird tradwife stuff? Why would the wives just take their husbands plates, and not whoever is clearing the table take as many as they can carry?

That's the weird part for me. If you're a guest in my house then I clear the dishes, generally if it's my MIL ill clear them and if it's my parents my wife will. It would be absurd for my mum to try and clear my dad's plate.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Barudak posted:

Someone posted something like "1/4th of all Americans can't understand If/Then statements" and I thought that was ridiculous but heres apple lady

You're giving me flashbacks to all the times I've tried to talk to patients about if/then situations. Most recently, talking with someone about whether they would want open heart salvage if their transcatheter surgery had a complication. I talked about the (very low) likelihood of the complication and options available and answered all the questions and explained that she was likely to have a high rate of complications if she did have to have emergency open heart surgery for x y and z reasons. She kept saying "thats nice dear. I'm just planning on not having a complication" and did not seem to understand the concept of "if". Just...such a long conversation fundamentally predicated on someone refusing to understand "if this thing that we don't think will happens does happen, we would like to have a contingency plan in place." If. Not a hard concept.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

The Maroon Hawk posted:

It is a pretty poplar image.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Batterypowered7 posted:

It is a pretty poplar image.

Honestly, we were all pining for it

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

The Maroon Hawk posted:

I can't beleaf you'd post that old chestnut.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Guildenstern Mother posted:

I can't beleaf you'd post that old chestnut.

C'mon, it really spruces up a thread.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Lemniscate Blue posted:

C'mon, it really spruces up a thread.

Oak, if you insist.

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
Maple

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
ah I hosed it up sorry

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

ah I hosed it up sorry

ah, its cool. we were all thicket it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

I just found 4 boxes of Lean Cusine microwavable dinners in my girlfriend’s outside trash bin. Two were from our dinner tonight, and two from Thursday dinner. Chicken parmesan and Chang’s Szechuan chicken. Two of my favorite meals that she “ cooks” for our date nights.

quote:

I honestly might be overthinking this but I (m23) have been dating my same age gf for 5ish months and one of my favorite things to do on date nights is to go over and enjoy the dinners she prepares. In fact Im always mind blown and compliment her to no end. Today I decide to throw out the her trash as she’s loading the dishwasher and boom, right in plain site is the boxes of Lean cusine and PF chang’s microwavable dinners.

I’m almost certain that her and her roommate are the only two that use this trash bin and I know for a fact her roommate is going through a vegiterian phase right now. And now that I think of it I’m almost certain I’ve never seen her cook because dinner is always ready before I get there. I decide to go on Instacart to look through the catalog of the grocery store we both shop at and lo and behold every single meal we’ve had at her place is on there.

I’m no great cook either but when I make us tacos or pasta I just look at a YouTube video and serve it with a disclaimer that it might taste like poo poo. Not that this is a deal breaker but is this a serious lying issue (I hope not) and do I tell her I know about this? And how do I bring it up

Edit: Yes you guessed it, If I host we usually get takeout. But I usually try to cook breakfast early if she crashes.

I like the gal and we could honestly eat dino nuggets for the next year and I’d be fine but Im just tryna process the whole thing tbh

I definitely have asked cooking related questions in the past. I usually get vague or funny answers. :-) And I’m pretty sure there’s always at least a pan/pot and those stirring sticks that have to be washed after. So I guess i usually see everything but the ingredients.

Yes she hosts like 60% of the time cause has to get up early AF and it just makes sense.

To the comments saying I must have a bad palate to think lean cuisine was pretty good, yeaa you’re probably right. But thinking about the different types of dishes, I think there’s at least 3 different brands involved lol. Seriously tho, I appreciate the comments, I’m thinking I’ll try to mention it in a funny or nonchalant way since I’m not sure if I’m supposed to know or not.