Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
I know the market doesn't work on principles of justice and such, but changes like that revolt against the nature of a man. One thing would be raising the price of something in production. I imagine the average person's brain instantly reacts with "those things must have already paid for their development, they should only go down in price". I already own them so it doesn't concern me but I wonder how does this kind of marketing trick affect the reputation and sales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

ilitarist posted:

I know the market doesn't work on principles of justice and such, but changes like that revolt against the nature of a man. One thing would be raising the price of something in production. I imagine the average person's brain instantly reacts with "those things must have already paid for their development, they should only go down in price". I already own them so it doesn't concern me but I wonder how does this kind of marketing trick affect the reputation and sales.

quote:

They tore away my ability to respect anything, and they tore away my ability to feel human.

E: just to be clear, I agree with the point. Retroactively raising prices on released stuff should be a big no-no especially if your reason for it is "making flavor packs bigger and better".. ok so raise price on the new bigger and better ones

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Paradox are so good at finding new ways to generate bad PR with their DLCs, it is amazing

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
Northern Lords and Iberia were both kinda badly priced to begin with imo, resulting in a situation where if they change the price only going forward, even if it were a decrease, it devalues either past or future story packs and revives this exact discussion every time a new one is released. I can see the logic, without getting into exact pricing decisions.

Still sucks for the consumer tho

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Star posted:

This feels like a strange change https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/ck3-changes-to-flavor-pack-pricing.1538700/
It also makes me worried about any future V3 DLCs.

Just when I started to feel human again.... :negative:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Vichan posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_J0PlLw-vI

This game just popped in my head today, it's a shame it got cancelled.

I played a build of it at the PDX booth at Gamescom 2014.
At that stage in its dev it... wasn't good. Or memorable at all.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
How's Imperator Rome?

I've played a ton of CK2 and Ck3 and some EU4 and I'm looking for a new (old) map look at

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

verbal enema posted:

How's Imperator Rome?

I've played a ton of CK2 and Ck3 and some EU4 and I'm looking for a new (old) map look at

Abandoned. They tried to save it but it's just aggressively mediocre.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Well sheeit

Yuiiut
Jul 3, 2022

I've got something to tell you. Something that may shock and discredit you. And that thing is as follows: I'm not wearing a tie at all.

verbal enema posted:

How's Imperator Rome?

Good for a few games at least, but never gonna be a endless timesink like CK/EU imo.
Does have the bones of a fun civilisation/society builder a la Vic 2 with the pops.

If you do pick it up nab the Invictus mod, effectively vanilla+

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

verbal enema posted:

How's Imperator Rome?

It's pretty fun now, at least if you're into the period. If you try it i'd recommend the invictus mod, just fleshes out some more tags. It plays closer to eu than ck, if that makes a difference to you.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Rynoto posted:

Abandoned. They tried to save it but it's just aggressively mediocre.

it's the only game in paradox's "mainline" games (i.e. not march of the eagles, sengoku, etc.) that felt like it was created without the input of anyone who actually knows the time period inside and out, it just has a weird vibe that's very pop-history-rome instead of real-history-rome

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Jazerus posted:

it's the only game in paradox's "mainline" games (i.e. not march of the eagles, sengoku, etc.) that felt like it was created without the input of anyone who actually knows the time period inside and out, it just has a weird vibe that's very pop-history-rome instead of real-history-rome

well double sheeit

guess ill probably pick it up sometime but im not hurting that bad to try it right now

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Jazerus posted:

This is a weird take imo. Like rome at release had only one consul which was annoying, but the map's attention to detail and different polities is incredible. The game ended up in a good place

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Jazerus posted:

How so?

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

It's a modern Paradox game that you can play without constantly waiting for new cool addition they're going to add!

It also feels very similar to EU4 in many regards. Mechanics are very different, there's a character and population simulation. There are hints of civilization building you don't get in EU4 (and thus a lot of indirect control), but in general outside of the setting it's about the same empire building fantasy.

One other thing about it is a harsher learning curve. EU4 starts relatively simple with a lot of mechanics missing but I:R throws everything at you at once. Interesting countries like Alexander's successors basically start in a world war with plenty of internal troubles. Small manageable tribes have their fun but then grand empires come and there's nothing you can do about them unless you really know what you're doing.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
Is Paradox done with the mini experimental games like Sengoku and March of the Eagles? Not that I ever played them

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

I:R was so close to just being better EU4 with Roman clothes but even though they ended up implementing a ton of great new systems, the poo poo ones (tribes being awful is the biggest problem, but also the diplomacy is extremely basic and miles below EU4's) make the game have limited appeal long term. Which is even more of a shame because some of the systems are just better versions of EU4's (levies, the tech system, the whole pop migration / assimilation system, battles and unit types). The 2.0 changes were all fantastic and I'm sure if the game continued to be developed I'd still be playing it regularly.

Ironically, "many systems are a straight improvement on EU but boring tribes make the game have no longevity" was also my analysis of why EU:Rome wasn't great, so it's interesting that its sequel suffered from the exact same problem. I would love to be able to speak to someone who was in the internal testing for I:R because I refuse to believe that the design issues the 1.0 release had weren't shouted about earlier.

I should probably try the Invictus mod some time because I think a lot of the game's remaining issues are probably solvable through modding, though I'd assume that the almost nonexistent diplo game is unfortunately still going to be a thing unless they came up with some very clever event driven stuff. It's a huge shame that the pre-2.0 proposed subject / governor rework never got done.

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Aug 25, 2022

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Star posted:

This feels like a strange change https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/ck3-changes-to-flavor-pack-pricing.1538700/
It also makes me worried about any future V3 DLCs.
Unless the other DLC also nearly doubles in price, it does seem like it'd encourage Paradox to focus heavily on flavor packs instead of universal systems.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

They did make the change to fewer, but larger full price expansions on CK3. So I could see that becoming a new price range where the expansion is $40 and smaller DLC's are $15-20.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

RabidWeasel posted:

tribes being awful is the biggest problem, but also the diplomacy is extremely basic and miles below EU4's

My big problem with the game is that somehow it misses the diplomatic macrobuilder and it's much more needed than in EU4. The map is much denser than in EU4 and you can interact with more countries than in EU4 where you're very limited in the beginning and by the time you see most of the world it's consolidated. In I:R some countries start with dozens of vassals/tributaries, trade makes it so that you have a lot of relationships with other countries around the world, and you have no good tools to see who would agree to an alliance or royal marriage or non-agression pact or vassalization or annexation.

Similarly, the character system needs more tools too. 80% of the effort in choosing someone for a government position is spent on looking for someone from a disgruntled family which requires me to remember surnames I can't spell or rely on color-coding.

There are plenty of little niggles like this, nothing that couldn't be fixed with a patch or two, so it's even more depressing to see this game finished.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

It's not just that there's no diplo macro builder, but also that most of the diplomatic "posturing" from EU4 is missing. No rivals, no trust system to make allies useful outside of very short term alliances of convenience, no defensive alliances against a major threat. It makes the world feel incredibly sterile and empty when every country is just "big blob, small blob, medium blob, none of these states have any desire to do anything except occasionally start a war with a weaker neighbour"

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

I think this is compensated by the variety in economics and types of holdings. Like in EU4 provinces and countries have strategic value to you cause there are trade centers or more rarely high development, great projects, and province modifiers. In I:R trade goods play a big role, there are important temples, population, metropolises. True, it doesn't give you an interesting international web of rivalries and alliances but I don't think it's fair to refer to countries as a variety of blobs they are in, say, Stellaris.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

RabidWeasel posted:

I should probably try the Invictus mod some time because I think a lot of the game's remaining issues are probably solvable through modding, though I'd assume that the almost nonexistent diplo game is unfortunately still going to be a thing unless they came up with some very clever event driven stuff. It's a huge shame that the pre-2.0 proposed subject / governor rework never got done.

So, Invictus is a very conservative mod, by intent. Mostly a borders/missions/events type of content thing, not a lot of systems work. Some rebalancing of unit types and buildings.

There is a submod from some of the team members that is a bit more aggressive, the Full Mechanical Overhaul, but uh, I've never found the feature list particularly appealing.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

So, Invictus is a very conservative mod, by intent. Mostly a borders/missions/events type of content thing, not a lot of systems work. Some rebalancing of unit types and buildings.

There is a submod from some of the team members that is a bit more aggressive, the Full Mechanical Overhaul, but uh, I've never found the feature list particularly appealing.

Do you know if Invictus changes the unit balance of levies? One of the big problems with the basic gameplay of Imperator is that a lot of cultures just have crap levy compositions (usually too much LI / LC) and there's no way to fix it; if you want to play as one of those cultures and have an even passable army you need to use legions. Meanwhile, other cultures have very respectable levies with HI and/or HC and often archers or even horse archers as well. Most cultures should field at least some heavy units if you have a big enough levy, and shouldn't be almost entirely LI.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Hmm. There have been so many Invictus releases it's kind of hard to keep track.

They did introduce a new unit type a while back, "Spearmen", because there was a segment of the community that got real insistent that spearmen and swordsmen should not be the same unit type, and they ended up being this sort of medium weight infantry thing that is disadvantaged against swordsmen, for some reason, so now we've got Macedonian phalanxes that lose to Roman armies on flat ground and...

Well, that's a lost argument. Point is, they added that thing, and added it to some levy comps, so they've changed in that fashion. I think HI is less common overall, now? Otherwise, I'm not certain. I know the continental Gauls were changed to have less chariots and more HI at some point, but that might have been a vanilla change? There are absolutely still cultures around that are heavy (40+%) on LI and die like flies.

But, I'm not wholly sympathetic to the idea that all cultures levies should be equally or even similarly effective? I don't like that LI exists just to suck (that's something Invictus hasn't fixed), and I don't think composition should be wholly static over the long term, but I do think comp being sticky and something you have to work around are good things. Legions are an alright proxy for military reform, imo.

There are a lot (a lot) of new military tradition groups.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

The Narrator posted:

Is Paradox done with the mini experimental games like Sengoku and March of the Eagles? Not that I ever played them

march of the eagles 2 will be the next paradox game

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

ItohRespectArmy posted:

march of the eagles 2 will be the next paradox game

April of the Eagles

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

But, I'm not wholly sympathetic to the idea that all cultures levies should be equally or even similarly effective? I don't like that LI exists just to suck (that's something Invictus hasn't fixed), and I don't think composition should be wholly static over the long term, but I do think comp being sticky and something you have to work around are good things. Legions are an alright proxy for military reform, imo.

There are a lot (a lot) of new military tradition groups.

It's more like you have "levies which are functional" vs. "levies which are only usable as chaff". If they made Gauls have more HI then that's a good sign (this definitely wasn't a vanilla change). I'll definitely try it out, anyway, it sounds like they've done a fair bit.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

The Narrator posted:

sengoku was a pretty shameless and soulless beta for CK2 they charged money for pretending it was a big release

march of the eagles just had a really long and kinda funny development history with AGEOD that Paradox had to push over the line after they broke up (rip)

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

When will they release the tapes for East vs West

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
At least the March of the Eagles: East v West mod looks good.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

VostokProgram posted:

When will they release the tapes for East vs West

The game was leaked when they cancelled it

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
TNO basically has you covered

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

EricBauman posted:

EU4 is the only game I've ever preordered in my life. And I ended up not playing a lot of it because it came with a free copy of CK2 which was way more interesting. Coming from EU3, the mechanisms in EU4 just didn't seem as big a step forward as the ones in CK2.

And I do actually still think that the focus on individual persons rather than the state would be an ever better fit for EU than it is for CK. So many wars in the EU timeframe were over dynastic stuff (at least as justification) and personal relations between leaders.

I feel like you could easily update CK to run until 1648, if it were not for the pesky fact that the America's are not on the map.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

The circumnavigation of Africa opening up trade with Asia is probably a bigger deal for that time frame, you could abstract away a lot of early European colonisation of the Americas, mechanically. Don't see a way of getting around Portuguese ships going to India the same way.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
How -is- EU4 nowadays? Have they recovered from the downfall of the patch last year (?) that broke the game all ways to Sunday? Any recent DLCs worth it or is the game now a poor mule breaking down under the weight of its myriad of differing mechanics?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Popoto posted:

How -is- EU4 nowadays? Have they recovered from the downfall of the patch last year (?) that broke the game all ways to Sunday? Any recent DLCs worth it or is the game now a poor mule breaking down under the weight of its myriad of differing mechanics?
I havent played the most recent DLC/patch that came out about two weeks ago I think, but playing a lot on the patch before that I felt that the game was as good as it had ever been. They added some nice QoL features in the most recent patch but also some *very* complex mission trees that having read the DD's about them and heard feedback from people that have played on the patch, I do not think I would like. But I'm the kind of person that got turned off of HoI4 by the overly complex focus trees they added, starting with the patch that added Mexico and Spain. I already didnt like EU4 mission trees that I had to research certain things out of game (like when a mission says "upon completion an event will fire".... well, uh, what does hte event do? Why do I have to look this up on the wiki?) and now there are hidden parts and exclusive branches and stuff so I'm worried I wont like it.

edit: But overall I still love the game. I look forward to EU5 making trade more interesting and hopefully making fighting wars less tedious, but there are things I really really like; I just love the deep diplomatic systems that use opinion, favors, and rivals to make a deep and complex but manageable experience interacting with the world.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Sep 25, 2022

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Popoto posted:

They have definitely recovered from the Leviathan debacle. The most recent patch and DLC have been quite well reviewed actually. The Origins DLC is a bit niche, if you enjoy playing in Africa (or want to play with the Jewish religion) then you can pick it up but there's nothing game changing in there. The Leviathan DLC is fixed now and includes a ton of extra content, and the Lions of the North DLC has a bunch of new Government Reforms. I would recommend both of them, with the caveat that buying them does make the game easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Charlz Guybon posted:

I feel like you could easily update CK to run until 1648, if it were not for the pesky fact that the America's are not on the map.

YF-23 posted:

The circumnavigation of Africa opening up trade with Asia is probably a bigger deal for that time frame, you could abstract away a lot of early European colonisation of the Americas, mechanically. Don't see a way of getting around Portuguese ships going to India the same way.

I just wish there was a full world map mod (that would also push out the end date as you suggest). Freeze out the new world or anything below Congo until certain techs have been developed for all I care. A separate maritime tech (not just shipyards) would make sense in that situation.

But I guess all of that would create a new problem. You'd have to limit the playable titles to the currently playable ones. East Asian nations would need entirely different mechanics, which is exactly why they don't exist in the current game. And you'd still run up to completely nonsense things like Persia colonizing all of East Africa and Indochina, which is more of an EU4 thing.