Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

e:

YF-23 posted:

The circumnavigation of Africa opening up trade with Asia is probably a bigger deal for that time frame, you could abstract away a lot of early European colonisation of the Americas, mechanically. Don't see a way of getting around Portuguese ships going to India the same way.

EricBauman posted:

I just wish there was a full world map mod (that would also push out the end date as you suggest). Freeze out the new world or anything below Congo until certain techs have been developed for all I care. A separate maritime tech (not just shipyards) would make sense in that situation.

But I guess all of that would create a new problem. You'd have to limit the playable titles to the currently playable ones. East Asian nations would need entirely different mechanics, which is exactly why they don't exist in the current game. And you'd still run up to completely nonsense things like Persia colonizing all of East Africa and Indochina, which is more of an EU4 thing.

I feel that at that point you've moved too far away from the dynastic politics and interpersonal intrigue that are at the heart of Crusader Kings. It's scope creep.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Sep 25, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Popoto posted:

How -is- EU4 nowadays? Have they recovered from the downfall of the patch last year (?) that broke the game all ways to Sunday? Any recent DLCs worth it or is the game now a poor mule breaking down under the weight of its myriad of differing mechanics?

Anbennar makes great use of Leviathan which is all that really matters :v:

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

ThaumPenguin posted:

e:

I feel that at that point you've moved too far away from the dynastic politics and interpersonal intrigue that are at the heart of Crusader Kings. It's scope creep.

Yeah, absolutely. I guess I just want EU4 with personal lower level titles and a character focus

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Only thing I want from Ck3 with regards to timeline is to push back the start date even further. Gimme that Charlemagne dlc.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

trapped mouse posted:

They have definitely recovered from the Leviathan debacle. The most recent patch and DLC have been quite well reviewed actually. The Origins DLC is a bit niche, if you enjoy playing in Africa (or want to play with the Jewish religion) then you can pick it up but there's nothing game changing in there. The Leviathan DLC is fixed now and includes a ton of extra content, and the Lions of the North DLC has a bunch of new Government Reforms. I would recommend both of them, with the caveat that buying them does make the game easier.

I haven't really bought DLC since The Art Of War, I'm guessing the monthly subscription is better for me if all I intend is one campaign in the next month or two yeah? Just looking for some map painting before the 25th of October basically :)

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I just noticed this in the achievements list.

:v:

Nice one, paradevs!

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

DrSunshine posted:

I just noticed this in the achievements list.

:v:

Nice one, paradevs!

Next dlc has one for the pope taking Moscow

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Popoto posted:

I haven't really bought DLC since The Art Of War, I'm guessing the monthly subscription is better for me if all I intend is one campaign in the next month or two yeah? Just looking for some map painting before the 25th of October basically :)

Yeah, I’d recommend it, it gives you literally everything for while you’re subscribed and wasn’t a pain at all to cancel. I’m at the point where I only play like 1 campaign annually and its perfect for that sort of thing.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

really queer Christmas posted:

Next dlc has one for the pope taking Moscow

Moscow and Istanbul I hope. Gotta catch 'em all!

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

RabidWeasel posted:

Moscow and Istanbul I hope. Gotta catch 'em all!

You forgot Sofia.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

BigglesSWE posted:

Only thing I want from Ck3 with regards to timeline is to push back the start date even further. Gimme that Charlemagne dlc.

This would require pretty significant mechanical changes. The start date is already far enough back that a lot of the nobles are literally the first people who managed to make their (previously appointed at the discretion of the king) titles hereditary. Push the start date back just 30 years and you need to replace the feudal mechanics with some kind of "king appoints his friends for a limited time" thing, massively changing the game.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Tuna-Fish posted:

This would require pretty significant mechanical changes. The start date is already far enough back that a lot of the nobles are literally the first people who managed to make their (previously appointed at the discretion of the king) titles hereditary. Push the start date back just 30 years and you need to replace the feudal mechanics with some kind of "king appoints his friends for a limited time" thing, massively changing the game.

This wouldn't be a bad thing.

I say that without having played CK3 for even a second, though, but I'd love for there to be systems that support stuff like Roman imperial (it's hereditary, but actually everyone adopts) succession.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Tuna-Fish posted:

Isn't that just viceroys

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If you want the date number to start lower and have a different starting set of characters, you can probably install a mod for that. If you really want to spend several generations grinding through filler cultural techs just to get to the point where you actually begin the game now, there's probably a mod for that too.

That doesn't really sound very fun to me though. It would be probably be better served by a different, separate game that starts with the collapse of Rome and is explicitly about modelling the transition from a centralized state, through the various stages of warlordism that followed, to the emergence of larger kingdoms and the development of systems of vassalage and personal fealty.

Piling more mechanics into a single game doesn't necessarily make it better.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

EricBauman posted:

I'd love for there to be systems that support stuff like Roman imperial (it's hereditary, but actually everyone adopts) succession.

That is not how Roman succession worked in the CK3 period, or for centuries preceding it. Only two post-Constantinian Emperors were adopted, Tiberius II (r. 578-582); and Michael V (r. 1041-1042), who was already the nephew of the previous Emperor and who's adoption was an attempt to associate him with the female line of the Macedonians.

It was still obviously viewed as a legitimate tradition (unsurprisingly) but succession was overwhelmingly to the Emperor's child or close relative, or based on the Emperor being deposed, typically through a rebellion in the army.

poo poo it's not even how it worked during the famous adoptive period of the 5 Good Emperors. The only reason they were adopting was because they had no male children to pass the throne to, and the first one who had one did so.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Oct 1, 2022

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Hey I'm having trouble with the EU4 wiki so I wonder if anyone here can answer my question:

I was doing a Sweden achievement run recently and when I was right on the cusp of getting the last Baltic province I got an event that would have allowed me to change my primary culture from Swedish to Mbundu for the cost of some stability etc. Because I was about to get an achievement that I had been beating my head against the wall to get for a while I clicked "no" and finished my run before I thought about copying save files etc.

What I'm wondering now is if I missed the opportunity to do something extremely weird and funny like forming Zimbabwe as Sweden. I can't tell from how the wiki is organized what kind of nation formation/reformation that the Mbundu culture would have unlocked. Anyone know?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

mbundu is a congo culture and the region is basically geared around being kongo rather than forming anything, so i don't think you missed out on much

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

EricBauman posted:

This wouldn't be a bad thing.

I say that without having played CK3 for even a second, though, but I'd love for there to be systems that support stuff like Roman imperial (it's hereditary, but actually everyone adopts) succession.

The devs explicitly said that they don't plan to release earlier start dates for just the reason Tuna-Fish posted. The feudal system is already not a good fit for a lot of places outside of Europe, and even in Europe it's borderline.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
:thunk:

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/video-games-could-be-serious-tools-for-historical-research?utm_source=pocket-newtab

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

The PDS eSports scene is, uh, heating up?

https://twitter.com/bmeproduction/status/1581965577236586496

https://twitter.com/PdxInteractive/status/1581968408563761152

I’m unironically interested in good competitive grand strategy so I guess good luck to this thing.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
I wonder if there exists a PDX game you can run at speed 5 in multiplayer without slowdowns or desyncs.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
i wonder if there exists a PDX game balanced enough competitive game play is possible

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Lady Radia posted:

i wonder if there exists a PDX game balanced enough competitive game play is possible
If the game is rushing past so quickly you can barely keep up with half of it, that might not matter too much.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Lady Radia posted:

I mean it was (is, probably) a community of EU3 players who do competitive. Office MP is also how the game is actually balanced at Paradox (which I do not care for at all).

But in neither scene do you play at Speed 5, it honestly seems hilarious to even attempt, and I assume they won't actually do it.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

PittTheElder posted:

I mean it was (is, probably) a community of EU3 players who do competitive. Office MP is also how the game is actually balanced at Paradox (which I do not care for at all).

But in neither scene do you play at Speed 5, it honestly seems hilarious to even attempt, and I assume they won't actually do it.

yeah but neither of those cases are well balanced competitive - office MP for example is where Johan generates patches based on “I don’t like this happening” or “I’m mad I lost that way” lol, tho I think it’s been a bit since the latter. EU3 requires an insanely long laundry list of house rules to pretend at balance

as you note the office mp games aren’t a great source of balance period, but I think to even discuss balance the decision has to land on how much roleplaying vs board game strategy vs curated strategy narrative the games should be. and paradox hasn’t made a decision yet there. the one time they tried, Imperator on release, was certainly not balanced, but you could see how it’s extremely streamlined currencies could get there. but tje community and myself hated it because it was super sterile and boring lol

lots of words all I guess to say “yea”

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Wargames have dealt with the issue of having factions imbalanced by design by having asymmetric goals. Britain wins if it controls Paris, Berlin and Madrid while Spain wins if it just holds Madrid by the end of the game or something like that.

I don't know why would you play Paradox games for that but there are worse paths to fun.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

ilitarist posted:

Wargames have dealt with the issue of having factions imbalanced by design by having asymmetric goals. Britain wins if it controls Paris, Berlin and Madrid while Spain wins if it just holds Madrid by the end of the game or something like that.

I don't know why would you play Paradox games for that but there are worse paths to fun.

yeah, asymmetry is also exactly the sort of thing I’ve been hoping Paradox would really embrace when Stellaris first started getting dlcs. they moved away pretty quick though :(

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I have to wonder if Stellaris 2 will have asymmetrical starts.

pdxjohan
Sep 9, 2011

Paradox dev dude.

Lady Radia posted:

yeah but neither of those cases are well balanced competitive - office MP for example is where Johan generates patches based on “I don’t like this happening” or “I’m mad I lost that way” lol, tho I think it’s been a bit since the latter. EU3 requires an insanely long laundry list of house rules to pretend at balance

I remember patching and fixing stuff that way back from playing eu2 in mp over the weekends. We did eu3 office mp and lots of vicky2 as well which we used for balance. Eu4 devclash was just more visible.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

pdxjohan posted:

I remember patching and fixing stuff that way back from playing eu2 in mp over the weekends. We did eu3 office mp and lots of vicky2 as well which we used for balance. Eu4 devclash was just more visible.

you were still playing in some Tempest games for EU3 for a bit publicly too iirc! mp has been a driving force of the series for its whole existence
but i don't think that makes it functionally competitive

pdxjohan
Sep 9, 2011

Paradox dev dude.

Lady Radia posted:

you were still playing in some Tempest games for EU3 for a bit publicly too iirc! mp has been a driving force of the series for its whole existence
but i don't think that makes it functionally competitive

You are probably right.

I just love the mp campaigns, its the core player fantasy for me.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

MP is the only way you get truely hostile other nations you have to think about.

But as Civ5 and Civ6 show, there is a large market for strategy games where the AI is not actually a aggressive threat to the player. "Number-goes-up" itself is engaging gameplay loop for many.

Given your love of competitive MP did you ever play dominions?

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

pdxjohan posted:

You are probably right.

I just love the mp campaigns, its the core player fantasy for me.

MP is one of my fave parts of these games, I won't argue. I also don't even know that it makes sense to balance it competitively in that sense - I really feel like when playing MP, people really are still roleplaying their nations. A player Prussia who goes naval-colonial would literally get beat up FOR that alone, for example.

I'm not pretending I know how to square that problem - but it might just not be a problem.

pdxjohan
Sep 9, 2011

Paradox dev dude.

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Given your love of competitive MP did you ever play dominions?

Yeah, tried a few versions, but the UI always makes me bounce of.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I have to wonder if Stellaris 2 will have asymmetrical starts.

Advanced starts kind of do this? I would absolutely love a "static" map to start on though, similar to how EU/Vicky/etc. work. Working around asymmetrical powers and worming your way into relevance is fun, and the asymmetrical starts make the game interesting.

It'd be a hell of an undertaking though, and Stellaris doesn't have any notable catalogue of alien species in the way Galciv or MoO do, so there would be a lot of work to establish something like that, build the scenario, and then also update the scenario when different species packs come out.

And in the end, who knows how many people would even end up playing it. It'd also probably require an overhaul to the way exploration works, with some way to continue to explore the territory you already have.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Obliterati posted:

:siren:It's time. Signups for the first ever Victoria 3 Saturday game, 8PM UTC, are now live on the Discord!:siren:

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003
I'm looking to get into one of these games. I see that the OP says CK3 would be the easiest to start with. Would y'all definitely recommend that over EU4 and Vic3?

Edit: I do kind of like the idea of focusing on socioeconomics which seems to be Vic 3's focus.

retpocileh fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Nov 4, 2022

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

retpocileh posted:

I'm looking to get into one of these games. I see that the OP says CK3 would be the easiest to start with. Would y'all definitely recommend that over EU4 and Vic3?

That and HoI4 are probably the easiest, I'd say? I guess it also depends on which period you like the look of the most, but yeah CK3 isn't a bad pick IMO

feller
Jul 5, 2006

CK3 is probably the easiest one to get into (and it's on gamepass iirc), but there's something magical about the first few months of a paradox release so go vicky3 imo.

EU4 is probably my favorite of the three, but I find it hard to recommend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Picking Paradox games based on what's easiest to get into is a bit of a trap, I think - they're all complex, but they're all complex in different ways because they're focusing on different things, one game isn't really going to "ease you into" another. The real question is which kind of complexity and which subject you think will tickle your brain more.

Like for me personally I'd stick Vicky 3 right up near the top of Paradox games right now because diving down into an endless series of nested tooltips to realize the effect of worker's cooperatives on dividends and tax incomes and the consumer economy does illegal things to my brain, but someone who's way more into interpersonal conflict and drama would find CK3 the brain sticker instead. Ask yourself what it is you think you'd like to do more in the context of a strategy game and then go with that, whether it's in-depth socio-economic analysis, map-painting, or planning how liberate Nazi Europe.