Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I finally got shipping info today after buying it Monday afternoon, and it suggests next Thursday evening, week and a half, though they claim it's 8 business days, I count weekends because that's still time.

:argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

The Anime Liker posted:

Help me out, if I have paid for it, like the full $700 is paid up as of monday, it's shipping roughly this week, right? Payment means it's not reserved for months from now, but actually physically exists and is being put on a truck now?

njsykora posted:

If you go into your Steam purchase history you'll also find the tracking info in there so you can see what's going on and refresh it obsessively every hour.

Hot drat, I took your advice to :f5: and it just updated to a Wednesday delivery.

I seriously thought I wouldn't see this thing until Christmas based on that calculator thing.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Detective No. 27 posted:

Now that you mention it, I could go for a Nitro Cold Brew.

So I’ve got the hang of Emudeck and the Steam Rom Manager. Sometimes the Rom Manager thinks a game has a different name so it won’t download any artwork for it from SteamGridDB. I could download the art manually, but I’m sure that it’ll be easier for it to scrape the art if it’ll get the name right. Is there a way to manually change the name so that it scrapes the art correctly? For example, it misnamed Ico as “Iconic.”

Add a year after the name like (2000).

e: Had this problem with the original Resident Evil

Vic fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Sep 24, 2022

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

The Something Awful Forums > Video Games > Steam Deck FedEx Update Thread

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Vic posted:

Add a year after the name like (2000).

e: Had this problem with the original Resident Evil

That didn't work, but it lead me to the right direction. Renaming it from "Ico" to "ico" worked. I'll add in the year if it doesn't work in the future.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Natsuumi posted:

I come to 2001's top comedy forum on the internet to know the exact shipping statuses of strangers electronic toys.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Playing games is like 4th at most on the list of Steam related thread priorities after buying things and tech support.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
You can play games on this thing?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Waltzing Along posted:

Sick. I was just going to use it to store old roms and buy new games that I never touch.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Waltzing Along posted:

Only Vampire Survivors I'm afraid.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The back buttons are god send for mapping L3 and R3

Telltolin
Apr 4, 2004

Recently received steam deck #2, now me and the husband both have one :)

After setting up a dedicated filesharing thing on our local network we've been doing a ton of emulation and dumping our game collection. I'm sad xbox 360 games are a pain to dump, but I can't get xenia to work so :shrug:
i tried it thru lutris and directly through steam to no avail, so if anybody has advice for getting an x360 emu to work on SD lemme know. i know they're gonna release a linux version eventually so it might just be a matter of waiting for that

i've been playing through fallout: NV on my deck while waiting for mobs to spawn in project 1999, just as god intended

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I finally got shipping info today after buying it Monday afternoon, and it suggests next Thursday evening, week and a half, though they claim it's 8 business days, I count weekends because that's still time.

:argh:

Exact same dates here.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

The first thing I do in every game is map run to top left back button and jump to top right back button.

I'm salty my PS and Xbox controllers dont have back buttons now

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Natsuumi posted:

Seriously.

I've been playing the new Monkey Island. It's great. Ron Gilbert is such a master of this genre, Thimbleweed Park was excellent, too.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Does the on-screen keyboard come from Steam or from KDE?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Steam. Nearly all the desktop navigation stuff including the keyboard relies on steam input and requires steam to be running. It all works the same way in Windows also although you get the old UI until they backport the Deck stuff.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

MarcusSA posted:

I really don't like the position and feel of L1 and R1 so that's been my use case for the back ones.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Don't discount mapping one to whatever confirm or advance text is in a JRPG, it's a god send for lazy one handed leveling.

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008

Disappointing Pie posted:

Don't discount mapping one to whatever confirm or advance text is in a JRPG, it's a god send for lazy one handed leveling.

You just blew my mind, I’m so stupid.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Arrgh, I am looking through the thread, does anyone have a link to the effort post that one guy made about quality portable bluetooth amps?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

v1ld posted:

TL;DR: The Deck's audio jack output is excellent and if you're already happy with their output using headphones or in-ear earphones, don't bother reading this long effort post.

The built-in speakers on the Deck are very good indeed, but they are still limited in what they can do for output that needs a very full range. It's noticeable in Elden Ring where gameplay audio comes through very clearly on the speakers but the background orchestral score has lots of missing detail when compared to using headphones. I.e., game is a blast to play without headphones but good headphones make a noticeable and enjoyable difference.

I've been looking at how best to hook up headphones to the Deck - beyond "plug them in!" of course - so here's an effort post. Will repeat that the speakers on the Deck are very good for typical gameplay audio, there's absolutely no need to go down this rabbit hole.

- Connecting a wired headphone directly to your Deck's audio jack is the lowest latency possible and is excellent for gaming.
- If your (wired) headphone is very efficient, which means it doesn't need a lot of power to achieve a good volume and, more importantly, its full range then you're all set. This isn't just about hearing it loudly, it's about the headphones having enough power to drive the full range of audio being fed to them - you may not hear some of the detail if the phones are not efficient and are not receiving enough power. ER's soundtrack is actually a pretty good test, even some wind noise doesn't show up on the speaker output for example.
- If they're not efficient you'll need some form of amplification to drive them or the source audio jack must itself provide enough power.
- The Deck's audio jack is running at higher power than most devices. Certainly more than most, but not all, phones or even your typical Windows laptop or desktop (Macs seem to do better here).
- My current best pair of headphones, a 6+ year old B&O H6 2nd Gen, isn't efficient at all though they sound lovely. Most portable devices struggle to drive them well but I'm quite impressed by how much the Deck can drive them - but it's still not as good as with an amp in the flow.

Things are different on the unwired/Bluetooth side:
- The Bluetooth connection is purely data and power for the headphone is in the BT headphone itself which was presumably designed with balanced power/efficiency in mind and that shouldn't be your primary problem.
- BT latency is a real problem. I tried out my voice calling/exercise/outdoor music BT earphones with the Deck and the lag is very very obvious even to me and I'm not very sensitive to that kind of lag usually. It's bad enough that using those earphones is a non-starter for me.
- Lag is typically a function of the codecs in use. The Steam Deck can use just about any codec under the sun, which is brilliant. It's like the most fully featured BT stack going of any console or even most phones. Thank you, Linux.
- But your BT headset may not support a low or even medium latency codec whose lag is acceptable to you, especially if you bought them to be primarily focused on other activities instead of gaming. Try it out and see.
- AptX LL (low latency) is one low latency codec that's supported by the Deck. AptX Adaptive is a newer codec that isn't focused on latency as much as varying the bit rate on the fly, but it's supposedly in the medium latency region and may suffice - I haven't used it.
- AptX LL didn't take off though the tech is neat, may be because of licensing and cost overhead. Adaptive seems to be in more devices. Check codecs before buying any BT gear!

Two other options exist to address the power and latency issues:
- Use wired headphones with an external amplifier to address any power issues.
- Use wired headphones with an external Bluetooth DAC with a low latency codec.

You can get portable combined amp/dacs that do both of the above. The (excellent) video below covers the most popular options here but the target audience is music listeners so latency is not a primary concern that's covered in it.

The approach is to buy wired headphones that are not for gaming but instead are great for all audio and then let the dac handle all of the low-latency connectivity to the deck while the amp handles powering them. So while the dac/amp is an added cost, I prefer buying good general purpose headphones because I use them for non-gaming as my primary use case.

If you're buying new headphones be sure to consider where you'll use them. Closed back headphones don't leak as much sound but can be more uncomfortable over a long session and the sound may not be quite as good or more expensive to be as good. The H6 I have is closed back and was bought for listening while traveling as the primary focus. The Deck is such a great device I'm going to use all the time that I've ordered an open back set to use primarily at home.

The Qudelix-5K that they recommend is indeed a great buy, but a few points worth noting.
- Is perennially out of stock since it's such a good deal, but check their website too. I haven't had any luck in a couple weeks of looking.
- Has best in class BT connectivity in terms of antenna and range, they designed for this.
- Doesn't do AptX LL but does do AptX Adaptive so low latency isn't a given. From their forums the team has said they'll never do LL because of the increased licensing costs and the poor coverage in existing headsets, again because of the increased licensing costs. Adaptive is supposedly pretty decent but it's not a fixed latency or even bitrate, so ymmv depending on game and other, environmental conditions.
- The major squee factor on the Qudelix for audiophiles is its fantastic coverage of Parametric EQ and the preset configs for each headset that are in vogue in that community. It's still the best device by many other factors but this is the killer feature that no one else can match. It's not important to me, though it would have been nice to have - I don't plan to spend a lot of time messing with EQ curves. But I would have like to have the possibility.
- Has a killer phone app that gives you access to the EQ and more.
- Has ok power output on a normal audio jack (single ended or SE jack) and also has decent power delivery on its balanced output if your headphones support balanced power delivery, which is typically twice or more what you can do on an SE jack. When I say decent, it means it should be able to drive most even ineffiencent headphones with no problem.

Their other choice, the iFi Blu Go:
- Has excellent power delivery over both the SE and the balanced outputs. It's best in class by a long way here.
- No app or no EQ possible, but they have 3 presets that address common needs you can switch through with a button.
- Has AptX LL support and broader codec support than the Qudelix in general.
- Has reports of BT connectivity issues at even medium ranges so if your use case is to walk around without the transmitter near you, it will probably have problems.

They've both got decent batteries, though the Qudelix is slightly larger. Should get 6-10 hours out of them depending on lots of factors, even the efficiency of your headphones.

The iFi costs almost 2x what the Qudelix does, but is actually available. There's also a new Shanling UP5 device but it has lots of reports of BT dropouts that haven't been addressed in firmware updates yet.

Both of these devices will let you connect either wired over USB C or wireless over BT. If you connect wired, both devices will charge themselves while acting as a dac and an amp for the connected wired headphones. I plan to try both setups. Wireless to the dac/amp with AptX LL. Wired to the dac/amp using a hub that is connected to the Deck which the dac/amp and a USB PD power source is then connected to as needed.

I'm going with the iFi Blu Go because I want the extra power output as that gives a wider range of headphones you can drive and the AptX LL codec is important for the Deck IMO. I plan to use the BT connectivity so there's no need for a USB hub in the path and the USB C port on the Deck is only used for power.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTI1VBLGY4c

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
How does Titanfall 2 run?

It's listed as "playable" but just looks like it's minor stuff holding it back from "verified"

veni veni veni posted:

I come to 2001's top comedy forum on the internet to know the exact shipping statuses of strangers electronic toys.

My delivery date just updated to Tuesday.

The Anime Liker fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Sep 25, 2022

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Redownloaded Halo MCC. Tried running it again with Anti-Cheat disabled. It tries to boot but just goes back to the Steam Deck menu.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Both the iFi Blu Go and Qudelix 5k have been great, by the way. The Qudelix is way the better price/feature deal, no comparison, but the Blu Go's completely self-contained, no-phone UI means I use it more.

... is a heavily modded Skyrim running on the Deck. Sharing because I added a weather mod with an integrated ENB today and the Deck still manages to produce around 26-30 fps with no wild jitter or sudden drops in fps. The GPU is maxed and CPU is usually north of 45% which means you're draining battery ridiculously quickly, but the game is running smoothly on this tiny little machine with an ENB active. I threw the mod on there just to see how badly the Deck would do and it turns out to be playable. Pretty incredible.

Love this machine.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

fedex claims tuesday instead of thursday

I want my goddamn steam deck already

waiting for the shipping is worse than the 3+ month wait for seeing when I'll get my purchase email

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Badly Jester posted:

Since they're in that bundle: I've heard people rave about KotOR for years now. I really don't care about Star Wars - as in I've watched a few of the movies and I just don't see what everyone is so in love with. Not in a contrarian-type of way; that universe just doesn't do anything for me. Are the KotOR games worth it to someone like me, who's just looking for a good RPG to play on Deck?

I don't give a poo poo about Star Wars and enjoyed both games. The first one is perfectly decent, 2 is one of the best RPGs ever made.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The Anime Liker posted:

How does Titanfall 2 run?

It's listed as "playable" but just looks like it's minor stuff holding it back from "verified"

My delivery date just updated to Tuesday.

Titanfall 2 runs loving flawlessly.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Why do the different versions of proton gently caress with the launchers like the rockstar one? It wants me to reinstall it if I change versions.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

sigher posted:

Titanfall 2 runs loving flawlessly.

Man I'm so hyped.

Now to figure out what to do first, replay Halo, Dead Space, or Titanfall 2...

Or... play for the first time New Vegas or Metal Gear Rising.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The Anime Liker posted:

Man I'm so hyped.

Now to figure out what to do first, replay Halo, Dead Space, or Titanfall 2...

Or... play for the first time New Vegas or Metal Gear Rising.

I think Titanfall 2 is one of the best things I have played on Steam Deck. It was also one of the first things I played through on it so i was just kind of in awe that it looked as good as it does on PC/console and still pulled 60fps the whole time. I even played some multiplayer and managed to do passably.

Lol we must have the same line of thinking, because all of those were some of the first games I installed. They all run great so pick your poison. I'd do TF2 personally.

Edit: except Halo. I haven't even installed that cause of the anti cheat thing.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Sep 25, 2022

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Really hoping that reddit post / YouTube I saw about how to get Halo:MCC to run actually works because that was like half of the selling point, having all of them on the go.

For reference I don't give a poo poo about multiplayer, this was just a fix to get the campaigns working.

The other selling point was of course the previously mentioned games and roms of games that never got moved to anything current, like the Metroid back catalog and oddballs like the X-Men arcade game.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Alrighty, I was busy for a week or so but caught up on the thread. Are people still interested in a comparison/review of third-party Dreck carrying cases?

Hammer Bro. posted:

It's the Deck Steam :ssh:

PantsBandit posted:

I sniffed my vent.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/xjky9v/refill_packs_when/

Tamba posted:

The battery in the deck is a bit over 5000mAH, so something like the Anker 737 or 537 should be enough to get you over 8 hours on even the most power hungry games.

e: the cheapest you could go with those requirements is probably this Anker Powercore III . 19200 mAh and 45 W output (which is the maximum the Deck can draw)

A couple things (not exclusively directed towards Tamba.) First, can we cut down on the "thousand + milli-" notation? "5000 mAh" is just 5 Ah. Simple! That's how metric prefixes work.

Second, ampere-hours is electric charge, and is basically a useless value unless you also know the voltage, because then you can easily calculate wattage. Watt-hours is a unit of energy, which is actually useful.

veni veni veni posted:

Man, I need to loving cut down on buying games. I'm mostly a console player so my Steam Library was only maybe 75 games when I got the Deck. But I'm so enamored with the idea of "ooh I can play that portable now" I just keep buying poo poo. Most of it I already own. Must have bought 60+ games in the last few months lol. Most of it was bundles fortunately,. But still it's like, calm down Veni you have enough games it would take 5 years to get through this backlog. Or maybe buy a new game you haven't already played to death? I am dumb.

My friend, allow me to introduce you to my 18+ year-old Steam account...

sigher posted:

Valve really needs to make an easy way to just purge games off an account because lord knows I have tons of crap I don't ever want to play.

You could just mark them as hidden.

MockingQuantum posted:

I think I may finally pull the trigger on ordering a Steam Deck. Is the thread consensus still that you're best off saving money and getting the 64gig model, and just using high capacity SD cards?

I think basically everyone is going to use an SD card with their Dreck (just like with the Switch, even though both have internal storage.) I suggest the 512 model for people who will never try to upgrade the internal SSD, the 64 model for those who definitely will do so, and the 256 is the middle choice for people who may or may not upgrade it but will primarily rely on the SD card for game storage and reserve the SSD for shaders, OS stuff, and other files that can't stay on the SD card for one reason or another.

nerox posted:

At first glance this thing is both larger than I imagined it would be, but at the same time is not as heavy as I thought it would be.

My first impression was that it wasn't as big as people were describing it. It's wide, sure, but the other two dimensions are reasonable and the weight is about where it should be for its size.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I've been having a weird issue. I am streaming a game from my PC to the Deck, which is plugged into my TV. Twice while playing, after about 30-45 minutes, the deck just shut down. I had to press the power button then go back to my PC and click the Connect button on steam. It was like it was timing out or something... any idea what was going on?

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

I'm becoming interested in the deck so I have a two questions. hopefully they haven't been beaten to death already

1. I'm not planning on having more than one or two games installed at a time and I can grab more storage and a screen protector on my own. Because of this and the wording in the OP it sounds like the 64 would be the version for me - this check out?

2. Do we think this thing has long legs? I know valve has made chatter that they plan on it but I was initially thinking of holding off and waiting for a revision / version 2 because I wasn't sure about their history with hardware... but the reception as far as I can tell has been overwhelmingly positive especially in comparison to the link and steam machines. Since i don't, like, need this thing I can hold off but I'd like to play my steam library and I have a good use case for it (extended periods at the desktop is a no go for unfun reasons right now)

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Sleng Teng posted:

I'm becoming interested in the deck so I have a two questions. hopefully they haven't been beaten to death already

1. I'm not planning on having more than one or two games installed at a time and I can grab more storage and a screen protector on my own. Because of this and the wording in the OP it sounds like the 64 would be the version for me - this check out?

2. Do we think this thing has long legs? I know valve has made chatter that they plan on it but I was initially thinking of holding off and waiting for a revision / version 2 because I wasn't sure about their history with hardware... but the reception as far as I can tell has been overwhelmingly positive especially in comparison to the link and steam machines. Since i don't, like, need this thing I can hold off but I'd like to play my steam library and I have a good use case for it (extended periods at the desktop is a no go for unfun reasons right now)

If you're certain you won't have that many games installed the 64gb is a perfectly cromulent option especially if you insert an SD card or if you are confident in your DIY abilities enough to install an SSD down the line.

It seems extremely unlikely Valve has any reason to work on a revision of the Steam Deck while the current one is still backordered, which will likely be until at least early next year. You could also get into some speculation about how much the PC gaming market will really be interested in pushing further graphics enhancements in a market where NVIDIA seems keen on pricing more and more gamers out of the hobby, but long story short, if you pre-order one now you're going to have a very long time before you start getting pangs about generation two. The only time Valve ever rushed a successor to market was Left 4 Dead 2.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Pirate Jet posted:

It seems extremely unlikely Valve has any reason to work on a revision of the Steam Deck while the current one is still backordered, which will likely be until at least early next year. You could also get into some speculation about how much the PC gaming market will really be interested in pushing further graphics enhancements in a market where NVIDIA seems keen on pricing more and more gamers out of the hobby, but long story short, if you pre-order one now you're going to have a very long time before you start getting pangs about generation two. The only time Valve ever rushed a successor to market was Left 4 Dead 2.

yeah sorry I worded that question poorly, because the speculation part of this is more what I was curious about.

also didn't catch the bit about the ssd, that's probably enough for me to bump up to the mid tier because lazy. thanks!

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Sleng Teng posted:

yeah sorry I worded that question poorly, because the speculation part of this is more what I was curious about.

also didn't catch the bit about the ssd, that's probably enough for me to bump up to the mid tier because lazy. thanks!

You could also just buy a 512 microsd for like, 50 bucks and have plenty of storage to go around. Iirc read/write tests with decent sd cards have been roughly the same as the internal ssd.

SteamOS will let you hotswap them while the device is on as well, so you could have a couple if you wanted one for emulation and one for proper Steam titles, etc. There’s even a neat little thing somebody made called the Deckmate that’s got a clip-on bracket for the back and some kickstands and other attachments which has a couple little slots in the clip for extra sd cards that I thought was pretty cool.

The 256 model is in kind of a weird place - with the 512 you at least get the fancy etched screen to make it stand out a bit, but I’d go 64 plus a bigger SD card for a budget device or 512 for the bells and whistles.

Vegastar fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Sep 25, 2022

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Any hardware revision of the Deck is unlikely to come before 2024 imo, and that would probably be a spec bump to AMD's latest architectures (most prominently RDNA3) most likely. The Deck seems to have been a solid success and they're starting to push more mainstream marketing out there as the wait period from reservation to order shrinks so I doubt there's any danger of them abandoning it, and even if they do abandon it the progress of gaming hardware requirements seems to be massively slowing down to the point where even with no hardware revision ever it'll likely be fine to play with for a while yet. Frankly the biggest sign that the Deck's in solid health is that even big companies like Square Enix are highlighting when games like FF7R are Deck Verified.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The way Gabe talked about the Deck after the initial announcement made it seem that they have long term plans for the Steam Deck. Something along the lines of revolutionizing PC gaming the way the iPhone revolutionized phones. I think he may have overstated the importance and I didn’t take that to mean it’ll have yearly iterations. But it’s clear there’s a confidence and vision that wasn’t there with the Steam Machine a decade ago.