Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

thetoughestbean posted:

Lol I was in the middle of writing up a post about how if you mean by “US dominance creating a fundamental paradigm shift that disincentivized actual military control of colonies” I could maybe sort of see it.

Even then that raises the idea of global hegemony having some upsides, which tankies would absolutely agree with*

*so long as it’s “their” side in control of the hegemon

Anyone is free to correct me if I m wrong but a interesting example would be taiwan. under japanese occupation it was to provide japan with sugar and rice.

under the US order they got TSMC. (I m sure TSMC is basically a happy accident and not the result of 6D chess of lets be the worlds supplier of chips and thus important enought to get us protection etc.)

In the old order the colonly doesnt do or cant not afford to compete up the value added chain.

Now yes the US benefits came with strings regarding your feelings towards communism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
The key point is, the enemy of your enemy really isn't necessarily your friend.

When people can't or won't understand that, you get a lot of weird positions being taken.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Anyone who believes Taiwan belongs to Beijing is a raging fuckwit whose opinions can be safely ignored.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I remember seeing a tweet that went along the lines of 'Some people base their entire personality on America/THE WEST bad and call it a day'.

Three guesses what I immediately thought of.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

mercantilism is def a big part of colonialism historically, but it's not the only way to do colonies/empire.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

WarpedNaba posted:

America/THE WEST bad

A silly, yet kinda serious thought I had about this.

When someone says "The West" we all assume we know what they mean. (Rich, largely white English speaking countries.) But if asked to give a definition, then it gets murkier.

Europe is part of "the west" yeah? Especially "Western Europe". Then what about Portugal? They are literally the westernmost European nation, yet are not 1st to mind, or even 15th place that comes to mind when thinking of a "Western" country. What about Greece? They are European, so does that make them part of the great hivemind that is "The West"? Even though they are geographically and regionally Mediterranean? Should we count South Africa as "The West"? They have a large white population and speak English. What about Brazil? They are resource rich, and have a large white population also.

This leads me to my next bugbear. I hate it that "the west" all gets lumped together. The two countries I have mentioned have vastly differing populations, cultures, mindsets, and political systems. Just as the Germans, Americans, British, and Australians all have cultures, political systems and attitudes, (not to mention each's own different set of goals and national interests), that are enormously different from each other.

To keep it thread relevant, it's like the people who say "Chinese people do X. Chinese culture is Y" when, sure there may be similarities, but people in Sichuan have a very different culture to people in Hainan to people in Shanghai. It's a big loving country.

It annoys me is all.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

And I don't have the energy, but the US has never and will never call it's empire building colonialism. They always call it War.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

BrigadierSensible posted:

When someone says "The West" we all assume we know what they mean. (Rich, largely white English speaking countries.) But if asked to give a definition, then it gets murkier.

Europe is part of "the west" yeah? Especially "Western Europe". Then what about Portugal? They are literally the westernmost European nation, yet are not 1st to mind, or even 15th place that comes to mind when thinking of a "Western" country. What about Greece? They are European, so does that make them part of the great hivemind that is "The West"? Even though they are geographically and regionally Mediterranean? Should we count South Africa as "The West"? They have a large white population and speak English. What about Brazil? They are resource rich, and have a large white population also.

This leads me to my next bugbear. I hate it that "the west" all gets lumped together. The two countries I have mentioned have vastly differing populations, cultures, mindsets, and political systems. Just as the Germans, Americans, British, and Australians all have cultures, political systems and attitudes, (not to mention each's own different set of goals and national interests), that are enormously different from each other.

are people just figuring this out now or what lol

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Fojar38 posted:

Hakimashou got a ban + 30 for saying the Chinese government is culpable for the Covid-19 pandemic, and that's a pretty hosed up ban+probe IMO for what is an increasingly mainstream position

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

this is still the most egregious thing I've seen ever on SA. it's incomprehensible that it happened

edit: I mean hakimashou's ban, but this probation is also atrocious lol

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

What most people assume they mean is the parts of the world claiming some sort of descent or influence from the Roman Catholic Church or [western] Roman Empire. But dividing the world in this way is vague and stupid, yes.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

To keep it thread relevant, it's like the people who say "Chinese people do X. Chinese culture is Y" when, sure there may be similarities, but people in Sichuan have a very different culture to people in Hainan to people in Shanghai. It's a big loving country.

It annoys me is all.

"The West" means the UN and international law to countries that aren't at least hosting those things.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

The Great Autismo! posted:

this is still the most egregious thing I've seen ever on SA. it's incomprehensible that it happened

edit: I mean hakimashou's ban, but this probation is also atrocious lol

probing because I'm not mad. I'm not mad guys

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer

ninjoatse.cx posted:

"The West" means the UN and international law to countries that aren't at least hosting those things.

I would say it’s less “the UN” than it is NATO.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

ninjoatse.cx posted:

please do not put in the people's daily that I got mad

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

ninjoatse.cx posted:

be a lot easier to move on it bad faith mods weren’t still conflating criticism of the chinese government with racism against han chinese

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

hypnophant posted:

be a lot easier to move on it bad faith mods weren’t still conflating criticism of the chinese government with racism against han chinese

Or this threads awful attitude toward chinese farmers and agricultural workers.

as for covid. It was first reported in a Chinese city and first cases are right next to a place that studies viruses. Most likely someone collected something out in the field or miss handled a sample.

Then the government response.

I dont know whats so controversial. about all that

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Not to get too far into forum management, but Literally A Person did do their best to understand this thread after that Fojar probe and went to bat for it in QCS. The problem is that LC entries are forever while there's no record of mod contrition.

We've had a pretty good run with Fleta and now Seth. Hopefully that continues.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ups_rail posted:

as for covid. It was first reported in a Chinese city and first cases are right next to a place that studies viruses. Most likely someone collected something out in the field or miss handled a sample.

The underplaying of the whole transmission by air molecules.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Honestly I hold every governments insistence on vaccination being optional/use of low efficacy vaccines/not bothered about trying to inoculate the world beyond its borders, as much more horrid than the initial loosing control of loving sars-2. It's a disease that could have been eradicated and instead it can continually mutate in an evolutionary infinite population medium.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

No Pants posted:

What most people assume they mean is the parts of the world claiming some sort of descent or influence from the Roman Catholic Church or [western] Roman Empire. But dividing the world in this way is vague and stupid, yes.

What? So the whole Anglosphere is not part of the West, being protestant or Anglican and all? Latin America on the other hand is mostly Catholic, is that more West than the USA? Or if you mean a very broad definition of Catholic influence, then most of Africa should be counted as West too. As should Japan and many parts of SEA.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

bad_fmr posted:

What? So the whole Anglosphere is not part of the West, being protestant or Anglican and all? Latin America on the other hand is mostly Catholic, is that more West than the USA? Or if you mean a very broad definition of Catholic influence, then most of Africa should be counted as West too. As should Japan and many parts of SEA.

I think he's referring to Russia's term for "the west" and less China's. Identities are defined by their exclusions, and what no pants stated is really where the line is drawn where west meets east.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

And the Brits made a whole century about how they were the children of GrekoRoman civilisation

And the US did as well, in the same century even

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Haven't seen someone have it all figured out this much since Pangzai (RIP)

https://twitter.com/__Scipio__/status/1573895655130546176

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

I wish I can some day find such harmony and balance.

bad_fmr fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Sep 25, 2022

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

Haven't seen someone have it all figured out this much since Pangzai (RIP)

https://twitter.com/__Scipio__/status/1573895655130546176

What’s he eating / drinking?

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

It's a disease that could have been eradicated and instead it can continually mutate in an evolutionary infinite population medium.
It sure could have, but, you know, CCP bureaucracy, saving face, etc. No doubt at all that the world definitely bungled the response to the pandemic, but the CCP still bungled harder than anyone else.

quote:

Why it matters: A study published in March indicated that if Chinese authorities had acted three weeks earlier than they did, the number of coronavirus cases could have been reduced by 95% and its geographic spread limited.

This timeline, compiled from information reported by the Wall Street Journal, the Washington Post, the South China Morning Post and other sources, shows that China's cover-up and the delay in serious measures to contain the virus lasted about three weeks.

Dec. 10: Wei Guixian, one of the earliest known coronavirus patients, starts feeling ill.

Dec. 16: Patient admitted to Wuhan Central Hospital with infection in both lungs but resistant to anti-flu drugs. Staff later learned he worked at a wildlife market connected to the outbreak.

Dec. 27: Wuhan health officials are told that a new coronavirus is causing the illness.

Dec. 30:
--Ai Fen, a top director at Wuhan Central Hospital, posts information on WeChat about the new virus. She was reprimanded for doing so and told not to spread information about it.
--Wuhan doctor Li Wenliang also shares information on WeChat about the new SARS-like virus. He is called in for questioning shortly afterward.
--Wuhan health commission notifies hospitals of a “pneumonia of unclear cause” and orders them to report any related information.

Dec. 31:
--Wuhan health officials confirm 27 cases of illness and close a market they think is related to the virus' spread.
--China tells the World Health Organization’s China office about the cases of an unknown illness.

Jan. 1:
--Wuhan Public Security Bureau brings in for questioning eight doctors who had posted information about the illness on WeChat.
--An official at the Hubei Provincial Health Commission orders labs, which had already determined that the novel virus was similar to SARS, to stop testing samples and to destroy existing samples.

Jan. 2: Chinese researchers map the new coronavirus' complete genetic information. This information is not made public until Jan. 9.

Jan. 7: Xi Jinping becomes involved in the response.

Jan. 9: China announces it has mapped the coronavirus genome.

Jan. 11–17: Important prescheduled CCP meeting held in Wuhan. During that time, the Wuhan Health Commission insists there are no new cases.

Jan. 13: First coronavirus case reported in Thailand, the first known case outside China.

Jan. 14: WHO announces Chinese authorities have seen "no clear evidence of human-to-human transmission of the novel coronavirus."

Jan. 15: The patient who becomes the first confirmed U.S. case leaves Wuhan and arrives in the U.S., carrying the coronavirus.

Jan. 18:
--The Wuhan Health Commission announces four new cases.
--Annual Wuhan Lunar New Year banquet. Tens of thousands of people gathered for a potluck.

Jan. 19: Beijing sends epidemiologists to Wuhan.

Jan. 20:
--The first case announced in South Korea.
--Zhong Nanshan, a top Chinese doctor who is helping to coordinate the coronavirus response, announces the virus can be passed between people.

Jan. 21:
--The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention confirms the first coronavirus case in the United States.
--CCP flagship newspaper People’s Daily mentions the coronavirus epidemic and Xi's actions to fight it for the first time.
--China's top political commission in charge of law and order warns that “anyone who deliberately delays and hides the reporting of [virus] cases out of his or her own self-interest will be nailed on the pillar of shame for eternity."

Jan. 23: Wuhan and three other cities are put on lockdown. Right around this time, approximately 5 million people leave the city without being screened for the illness.

Jan. 24–30: China celebrates the Lunar New Year holiday. Hundreds of millions of people are in transit around the country as they visit relatives.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

The Cubelodyte posted:

I would say it’s less “the UN” than it is NATO.

It's this.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

bad_fmr posted:

What? So the whole Anglosphere is not part of the West, being protestant or Anglican and all?
Both the Protestant and Anglican churches are direct descendants of the Roman Church.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Crosspost - Is anyone in Vietnam? I've been tasked with finding a Vietnamese-English interpreter, based in Vietnam, for a week in November. Hopefully someone with living experience and active ties to the US/Australia.

I know the normal routes like checking agencies or posting a job on Proz.com but want to check goons or their partners first.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

quote:

A poster of a boxing, rings, and bodybuilding exhibition match in 1952 (Source: National Museum of Taiwan History, collection number 2006.002.1499)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

That’s pretty cool. I’d hang that up in my office for sure.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Got home today and found these, homemade moon cakes:

Pretty good if I say so myself, the salty yolk ones are different though, chicken yolks.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

tua ded

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Ups_rail posted:

Does anyone outside of China believe that it didn’t escape a lab?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Tnuctip posted:

A lot of people. The lab leak theory is still a minority belief, it just had annoyingly high profile believers

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Tnuctip posted:

I wasn't aware anyone serious believed it came from any lab, no.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I mean the big WHO report was pretty clear that their PPE procedures were lacking at best when studying the poo poo they were.

I do believe the Chinese government’s response was “well it’s never jumped to humans before so what’s the big deal”.

I’m sure there was something that was supposed to be destroyed that was mishandled and here we are. It’s not the craziest thing but in the end it just doesn’t change anything so :shrug:

Tomn posted:

I wasn't aware anyone serious believed it came from any lab, no.

I think there’s also the distinction between grown intentionally in the lab as a weapon, and oops something we were studying got mishandled.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

There are two forms of the lab leak hypothesis. There's the it was being studied and there was a fuckup, whoops version, which is plausible and non-crazy people think should be investigated. And there's the CHINA GAVE US BIOENGINEERED SPACE AIDS!!! form which is uh, not serious.

Majority opinion is it was a natural crossover but I certainly wouldn't be surprised if it was a lab accident. There is a lot of questionable virus study being done all around the world, not just China. loving around with them in ways that may not be worth the risks.

It wasn't intentional, in either case.

E: Though, in China the government narrative has by all accounts been remarkably successful in convincing people it was actually a US bioweapon attack.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
The reason the lab theory gained popularity in the research community is that signs now point to the initial number of infected being much larger than a singular patient zero.

We’ll never know for certain because the ccp had a serious chat with everyone who did the initial investigation and they all tow the party line that it came from America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

It's amusing that there are a bunch of people in both China and the USA going on and on about lab leak.

The original virus had no signs of engineering. It was a solid match to previously observed strains circulating in wildlife in the region. People there frequently ate wildlife. That's it.

It's not possible to *disprove* a lab leak, hell, it's not possible to disprove deliberate engineering by China / USA / space bats, because maybe they covered their traces perfectly, but it's still a significantly less likely explanation than the standard one.

And if people are deliberately taking the less likely explanation in the absence of evidence, well, what does that tell you about them?