Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

MonkeyforaHead posted:

I get the feeling this difficulty is going to be there regardless of whether you're clicking or tapping. It can be unintuitive, but it's easier to avoid as long as you make sure you're dragging onto something that doesn't have an interaction. If you're trying to multi-drop stuff it'll auto-stack with the relevant cards. What's got me stumped is trying to find a quicker way to multi-drop stuff, like when I cut a tree down and end up with a dozen fronds pinning me to the ground. Once or twice I've accidentally dropped multiple of one card onto another for crafting, but it doesn't seem to work with just dropping to an empty space.

Don't know how it translates to the mobile, but on the pc version, holding click on the top or bottom of a stacks card will rapidly dump them to/from your inventory/containers inventory.

You get a little yellow arrow and it just yeets everything:

Jawnycat fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Sep 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Jawnycat posted:

Don't know how it translates to the mobile, but on the pc version, holding click on the top or bottom of a stacks card will rapidly dump them to/from your inventory/containers inventory.

On mobile you keep holding after dragging the whole stack and it'll slowly tick up 2,3,4, etc and as far as I can tell you just have to let go when you don't want to transfer any more.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Jawnycat posted:

Well son of a gun, there it is. Yeah, works the exact same.

explosivo posted:

On mobile you keep holding after dragging the whole stack and it'll slowly tick up 2,3,4, etc and as far as I can tell you just have to let go when you don't want to transfer any more.

Can't get that to work at all. :psyduck:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Well son of a gun, there it is. Yeah, works the exact same.

Can't get that to work at all. :psyduck:

Okay I played more last night and figured out that the dragging the stack thing only seems to work when dragging something into a container, like the aforementioned fronds into a fire to fuel it. For other stack moving purposes I just discovered there are actually quadrants at the top and bottom of the cards (as seen in the image from Jawnycat) that only show when you tap on it, so you just have to tap in the top or bottom part of the card for it to send a whole stack.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

explosivo posted:

Okay I played more last night and figured out that the dragging the stack thing only seems to work when dragging something into a container, like the aforementioned fronds into a fire to fuel it.

Ah yeah, that's a thing. Also works on instant transition zones, like caves/huts/enclosures, basically anywhere that you don't actually need to spend time to traverse to you can literally huck items into without entering yourself.

Oh, other good tip, some recipes you don't actually have to research first, they can be done manually by dragging objects together and this will instantly unlock the blueprint for free. Coconut milk (coconut meat + bowl), wood shavings (metal/flint knife + wood), and clay bowls (clay + temper) are the three I know about off the top of my head.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Anything like card survival for ios? The only thing I found was maybe Frost survival card game. Is that worth the $4?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

VegasGoat posted:

Anything like card survival for ios? The only thing I found was maybe Frost survival card game. Is that worth the $4?

Definitely worth 4 imo if I'm thinking of the right game (you're fleeing ahead of a blizzard).

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
For anyone sleeping on the shed, seriously build one. I was thinking of just waiting to build a mud hut but god drat the shed beats the poo poo out of a shelter

Macaques still get in though so don't leave your meat curing on the floor :argh:

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
Oh, unexplained? mechanic with the shelter that I only found out about yesterday on accident, you can combine it with the leaf bed by dragging the cards together. Gives the comfort and bug repellant bonus of the leaf bed with the weather protection of the shelter.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

VegasGoat posted:

Fwiw it’s coming to iOS eventually. From what I saw it was supposed to have come out already but maybe ios 16 caused some issues?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Got bit by a Krait snake and got the pop up a short while later that said "my leg feels funny", but no wound and no bar on the side popped up. Not even nausea. Did I just get super lucky? :confused:

E: just googled "Krait snake bite" and :stonk: Definitely doesn't look like a "walk it off" venom

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

Danaru posted:

Got bit by a Krait snake and got the pop up a short while later that said "my leg feels funny", but no wound and no bar on the side popped up. Not even nausea. Did I just get super lucky? :confused:

Instead of a proper wound it gives you internal venom, you can check this on the extended stats screen 'chemical' section, it's at the very bottom. If that bar fills to max you die, otherwise you progressively lose mobility till it empties out. You can get to the stats screen by selecting equipment, character, stats. The bar will show up on your sidebar if it gets more than half-full, but one bite generally won't get you there.

A lone bite won't kill you, but if you don't have a camp near where you got bit you're best heading home asap before you have to crawl home. Having leather pants and proper shoes will protect you from Krait bites iirc.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
You know what's great in card survivor? You build a cellar, which makes food last longer, then you stick the clay pot cooler in the cellar and food in that and it will last for a long, long long time.

Also this game is really fantastic but boy howdy do you get ultra slowdown if you have too many cards in an area. My homebase in the jungle takes forever to load because of all the crap I have.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

What's the early early method of getting water or hydration in card survivor that is not drinking coconut milk? I assumed I could boil water in a coconut shell but I guess the water evaporates or something. It's a cool game but it's real hard especially when I constantly forget I have poo poo on the fire and it turns to ash :argh:

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
It always rains on day 2, so try to have a bunch of coconut halves ready to catch the rain. There's no telling when it will rain again after that. There's a wetland location with puddles of dirty water that can be boiled clean, that's your only hope. You have to enter insect territory aka the malaria zone to get there, so good luck.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

explosivo posted:

What's the early early method of getting water or hydration in card survivor that is not drinking coconut milk? I assumed I could boil water in a coconut shell but I guess the water evaporates or something. It's a cool game but it's real hard especially when I constantly forget I have poo poo on the fire and it turns to ash :argh:

No amount of boiling is going to desalinate sea water. You CAN boil water from puddles and pits in the wetlands, but your best bet is collecting rain water. Any coconut shell or whatever with water will slowly fill while it's raining so just click on them and set them to collect rainwater

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Thanks! I thought about the coconuts in the rain but didn't realize I had to enable "collect rainwater" mode for that to work, haha.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
Later on the solution is to build reservoirs or cisterns, which will fill during the rain and evaporate slowly or not at all in the cistern's case. Tho those are Projects, much like making a mud or stone hut.

Some starting conditions (Parachute, Life Raft, Survival Chest) give you two plastic sheets, or you can get some by diving in a specific location in the world (you'll need near maxed swimming), which can be used to make either rain catchers, which function like a reservoir that can hold up to ten servings of water, or solar distillers, which very slowly make a small amount of water when filled with fronds. Or a raincoat, which I have never used.

Storing water is also important for when the dry comes, those puddles in the wetlands won't last the entire season. Plastic bottles (1 serving), clay jars (0.5), glazed clay vases (3), and all types of canteens/waterskins (2-3) don't suffer from evaporation. You can also use drained but unbroken coconuts to hold a single serving of any liquid without evaporation, but it'll be ruined once the coconut rots. You can find plastic bottles very rarely while exploring the rocks.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
Had a really great run ended because I forgot to wash my hands after doing extensive claycraft.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Card survival: how do I tourniquet, I just got bit by a shark but I can't figure out how to put it on.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Card survival: how do I tourniquet, I just got bit by a shark but I can't figure out how to put it on.

You put it on like a bandage, click equipment -> wounds -> specific wound and drag it onto the injury. Leave it on till the bleeding icon on the wound hits 100% then replace it immediately with a bandage. If you keep it on too long you'll suffer nerve damage.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

GreyjoyBastard posted:

texts from Australia

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Card Survival is fantastic. My first custom character (survival raft in the bay) was cruising along just fine until every single day turned into non-stop heat and sunshine without a speck of rain. Desperately trying to not heatstroke out while harvesting water is 10/10 survival gameplay.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Vasler posted:

You know what's great in card survivor? You build a cellar, which makes food last longer, then you stick the clay pot cooler in the cellar and food in that and it will last for a long, long long time.

That's a great way to sell a game in a single sentence to me. Sold (or at least, added to my wishlist because I can't stop playing Project Zomboid because that's another great game for little details)

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Away all Goats posted:

That's a great way to sell a game in a single sentence to me. Sold (or at least, added to my wishlist because I can't stop playing Project Zomboid because that's another great game for little details)

Chat moved to the dedicated thread mostly but this also hits hard in vintage story and rules hard.

Once fall hit and I wouldn’t get any more fruit I finally sealed up and made fruit wines that’ll last me all winter. Now I spend my dark snowy evenings getting shithoused on wine before I turn in late and hope I sleep through most of the extra frigid temps in the morning before I go out and run whatever chores I need to do outside for the day.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Card Survival is rough as hell, even with like the survival raft I cannot keep hydrated more then a week or so.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
Breaking into claycrafting is really important for preserving and expanding your water supplies, it'll be very hard to survive the dry season without decent stores and transport methods, and the only reliable way to get these is via claycrafting. Also clay jars allow you to ration water for specific tasks much better, as they only hold half a bowl, which just so happens to be the cutoff for many things that require water to craft/process that will happily use a full bowl when they only need half.

But here's a buncha info about water:

The puddles in the wetlands are critical, they are your early game reservoirs, and your main source of mud for claycrafting, explore the wetlands till you have both puddles show up asap, as they spawn at 50% filled, so the earlier you get them the sooner they can fill to 100% from rain. They do suffer from faster evaporation than a proper reservoir however, and are unclean water.

Also in the wetlands is the dark cave, you'll need to build a fire inside it to explore it properly, but it has a very small unclean water pool inside that will refill slowly at all times.

Coconut milk provides a little extra hydration on top of the coconut water, but will give you diarrhea quickly. Best used to supplement other sources.

You can use perforated coconuts to store water safe from evaporation. It will be lost when they rot however. Plastic bottles can also be used for this purpose without the rotting problem, but if you don't start with any you can only very rarely find them by exploring rocky shore areas.

Aloe Gel can be eaten for a chunk of decent hydration, but this is unenjoyable and also can give you diarrhea if you eat too much of it.

After fully harvesting a banana tree, you can chop it down and use it's trunk to slowly generate water over time by shoving a bowl in it. Works constantly and will give 1-2 full bowls a day, but the trunk eventually rots.

Open water containers evaporate slightly slower if kept out of the sun inside a hut/cave.

After harvesting the nut from nipa palms in the mangroves, you can leave a liquid container in the tree to collect sap until the tree rots. The sap provides mediocre hydration and a negligible amount of diarrhea, if you leave it too long however it'll ferment to wine, which will dehydrate you. Getting drunk can be useful for certain things however.

If you start with a parachute, life raft, or survivor chest, you'll have plastic sheets (Disassemble the raft/chute with a knife). Make raincatchers and/or solar stills. Solar stills produce a trickle of water when filled with palm fronds regardless of the weather, about one bowl a full day, while raincatchers are mini-reservoirs with increased evaporation. If you don't start with those, you'll have to get high swimming, swim to bird rock then explore the shipwreck for a high risk way to get some, this can go bad and practically outright kill you, given the location, and is mostly a lategame thing. Bring a form of painkillers, bandages, a torquinet and be in good shape.

Your guaranteed (this may be out of date, since this location was moved at some point during EA and I've yet to get one since) to eventually find at least one jerry can at that same location, which is the best mobile liquid container in the game. Holds eight bowls with no evaporation and is relatively light when empty. The plane crash start condition starts you with one.

Oh, and as for the whole wet/dry season, you start in a special less-dry season with guaranteed rainfall on day two and a much higher overall chance for rain throughout than a normal dry season, then wet season starts at day 30, dry at day 60, and then it flips back and forth between wet and dry from there every 30 days.

Jawnycat fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Sep 25, 2022

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I've given Card Survival a try and while I do feel I'm getting the hang of some specific things (and I've learned a lot of smaller scope tips and tricks from the thread) it's the big picture I'm still kinda lost on. What blueprints do I aim for first? What should my early goals be in the first few days? Do I want to keep exploring the beach or beeline to the wet jungle as soon as possible? What's a good place to settle, and how soon should I start building a hut? Is it worth practicing some skills early on or should I be primarily hoarding food and water? What about tools? I can reach the end of the day okay so far, but it's the big picture that worries me.

Monkeys bother me a lot, not just for what they steal but for how long out of my day they take to deal with. Only a few days in and sometimes they pop up 3-4 times a day.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Vib Rib posted:

I've given Card Survival a try and while I do feel I'm getting the hang of some specific things (and I've learned a lot of smaller scope tips and tricks from the thread) it's the big picture I'm still kinda lost on. What blueprints do I aim for first? What should my early goals be in the first few days? Do I want to keep exploring the beach or beeline to the wet jungle as soon as possible? What's a good place to settle, and how soon should I start building a hut? Is it worth practicing some skills early on or should I be primarily hoarding food and water? What about tools? I can reach the end of the day okay so far, but it's the big picture that worries me.

Monkeys bother me a lot, not just for what they steal but for how long out of my day they take to deal with. Only a few days in and sometimes they pop up 3-4 times a day.

Gonna just say going in completely blind and winging it as I go has worked out just fine for the most basic of starts. There seems to be plenty of outs and ways to survive that you don't have to worry much about being optimal. The shed is absolutely worth getting within the first week, though. Protection from the weather is so, so nice.

This probably changes with the harder starting conditions / settings but haven't gotten to those yet.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?

Vib Rib posted:

The most reliable things I've found to do are right after starting are:
1. Beeline to Jungle asap. This will be your homebase.
2. Get to the wetlands and uncover the two puddles so you can start making bricks while it's raining.
3. Make a kiln.
4. Make clay vases.
5. Make a reservoir.

Since you're so close to the bay, go there once/twice a day and dive, climb and spear fish until you have enough food. You'll get those skills maxxed pretty easily doing that. When you're in your base you can train spears and throw rocks too.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
You're free to approach survival how you like, with one exception: Isolation. There's an isolation bar (separate from the loneliness bar) that fills up in the background. It maxes out around day 90 and adds upward pressure to loneliness, to the point where you can no longer reduce loneliness at all by talking to Weston. The only counter to this is comfort, if you don't have a highly comfortable home to spend time in you will develop mental issues that steal your action economy and suddenly you can't survive even though things were easy a second ago.

To get to high comfort you need a good home, upgraded and filled with woodworked furniture and art. I haven't played since they added the house that's better than the mud hut, so maybe that makes it easier, but if not you really have to push hard on a high comfort home fast. By the time you see the isolation bar and realize what's happening, it's too late! Hopefully they adjust this mechanic somewhat, I lost a day 100+ character to it and felt robbed.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I just want to find flint :negative: I have everything I need to make a fire except for a cutting tool and I've looked all the way until finding the cave to find it

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

CuddleCryptid posted:

I just want to find flint :negative: I have everything I need to make a fire except for a cutting tool and I've looked all the way until finding the cave to find it

Sharpened stone should work, takes a small rock and a big rock.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Man I was hoping it would come sooner

https://twitter.com/winterspringgm/status/1445384544279007249?s=46&t=6zmHbZmEmYiUzGaqxvjQEw

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Sokani posted:

Tried it and yeah it did work. The icon was showing a series of knives so I thought it needed a knife.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
You can find some flint on the rocky section of the beach, as well as any highland area, but can only find large amounts easily along the desolate beach on the other side of the island near the volcano.

Flint tools are nice since they count as high tier tools, and are renewable, but have dogshit durability as the tradeoff. But if you want to do woodworking and don't have metal yet, flint is your only choice.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Sokani posted:

also works with two small rocks

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

RandomBlue posted:

Has a time reduction for using a big rock tho, from 2h to 1h.

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009

CuddleCryptid posted:

Tried it and yeah it did work. The icon was showing a series of knives so I thought it needed a knife.

This confused me at first also but I think the sharpened rock is like, the 4th or so icon in the series and I just missed it because after the first 3 knives I didn't expect pic 4 to be a sharpened rock. Seems like a no-brainer to have the sharpened rock first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

RandomBlue posted:

Does it still? I thought they changed that by 1.0.

Jawnycat posted:

Flint tools are nice since they count as high tier tools, and are renewable, but have dogshit durability as the tradeoff.
Better or worse than plain stone? Is there any way to actually view how much total durability a tool has in-game?