Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

bloodbourne doesn't have shields.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

that's only there to pander to the saddos I was talking about before tho

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Waltzing Along posted:

Elden Ring is the most overrated game since Breath of the Wild which is the most overrated game since Bloodborne.

I was a big huge fan of dark souls 1 and 2, didn't like 3, didn't care about bloodborne enough to beat it, thought sekiro was alright. Basically dark souls died with dark souls 2 imo. Elden Ring was fun and ate up my time for like 2 weeks but looking back at it I have zero desire to ever play it again. There's far too much 'nothing', big huge open areas that were neat to explore and discover once but now that the joy of discovery is gone they would be pretty annoying. The joy of finding new weapons and spells is gone because A) I already know what they are and B) I know there's like 6 good ones in the whole game, I mean you can absolutely choose to not use them and it's totally fine but those good ones are the only ones that are like, exciting to find.

It's really weird that they'd take a series that is known for its cultish replayability and the fact that people pour hundreds of hours into multiple playthroughs and then... focus it around exploration, a thing that's notably only possible the first time you explore and after that it's just a boring rehash of things you've done before. Which is ultimately the downfall of exploration as a mechanic in videogames - if it's interesting it's only interesting once, and if it's different every time that means it's procedural and therefore incredibly unexciting with no hand-placed points of interest.

I thought BotW was a straight-up bad game and its popularity confounds me though. I played up until the desert place, I think fighting the second titan? And there was not a single moment of fun in that game, I kept pushing forward and exploring and stuff because people kept telling me how incredible it was but no, there's nothing of value there. Everything BotW does has been standard open world fare for over a decade that's done better in other games, it's kind of sickening how much of the playtime in BotW is literally just "hold down Up on the stick for 8 and a half minutes to climb this tower" or whatever. I think people are only excited by it because Nintendo is perpetually about a decade behind the times and Nintendo Fans have not played an open-world RPG since Secret of Mana.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Sep 24, 2022

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

deep dish peat moss posted:

I was a big huge fan of dark souls 1 and 2, didn't like 3, didn't care about bloodborne enough to beat it, thought sekiro was alright. Basically dark souls died with dark souls 2 imo. Elden Ring was fun and ate up my time for like 2 weeks but looking back at it I have zero desire to ever play it again. There's far too much 'nothing', big huge open areas that were neat to explore and discover once but now that the joy of discovery is gone they would be pretty annoying. The joy of finding new weapons and spells is gone because A) I already know what they are and B) I know there's like 6 good ones in the whole game, I mean you can absolutely choose to not use them and it's totally fine but those good ones are the only ones that are like, exciting to find.

It's really weird that they'd take a series that is known for its cultish replayability and the fact that people pour hundreds of hours into multiple playthroughs and then... focus it around exploration, a thing that's notably only possible the first time you explore and after that it's just a boring rehash of things you've done before. Which is ultimately the downfall of exploration as a mechanic in videogames - if it's interesting it's only interesting once, and if it's different every time that means it's procedural and therefore incredibly unexciting with no hand-placed points of interest.

I thought BotW was a straight-up bad game and its popularity confounds me though.

exploration in Dark Souls 1 was great. although it wasn't an open world and was more of a maze, it was satisfying to fight your way through a tough area, then find a shortcut to unlock or whatever.

they've yet to make a world as good as the DS1 world imo

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

I thought BotW was a straight-up bad game and its popularity confounds me though. I played up until the desert place, I think fighting the second titan? And there was not a single moment of fun in that game, I kept pushing forward and exploring and stuff because people kept telling me how incredible it was but no, there's nothing of value there. Everything BotW does has been standard open world fare for over a decade that's done better in other games, it's kind of sickening how much of the playtime in BotW is literally just "hold down Up on the stick for 8 and a half minutes to climb this tower" or whatever. I think people are only excited by it because Nintendo is perpetually about a decade behind the times and Nintendo Fans have not played an open-world RPG since Secret of Mana.

I've been saying it since the Spring. Horizon Forbidden West is the better game overall and in nearly every way. It is in every technical/production way. Story wise. Exploration wise it's better, too. The combat is the stickinng point and really comes down to preference as they are both so different.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Horizon Forbidden West is a completely forgettable experience, obviously that's all that I can say about it

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Elden Ring, is too. At least w/ HFW, I remember the graphics and sound and exploration being amazing. I remember a ton of repetitiveness in ER and the constant thought it would be so much better without the pointless open world that added nothing to the experience.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Dark Souls 1 rules so hard that its unfair to compare it to the other games in the series

Especially Sekiro which is just hard for the sake of being hard, at least FROM learned not to do that with Elden Ring and gave you a countless amount of options to progress rather than just battering your head against the same challenge with the same boring toolset until you eventually overcome it

World of Warcraft secretly continues to be the best game ever made

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Sekiro is a good game. It's not a souls game, though and should not be compared.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
I refunded Sekiro, and nearly 100% for Horizon Zero Dawn (both on PC)

I dont need a game to be hard to be fun

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Casual

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Vampire Panties posted:

Luckily Sekiro is both fun and hard

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Waltzing Along posted:

I've been saying it since the Spring. Horizon Forbidden West is the better game overall and in nearly every way. It is in every technical/production way. Story wise. Exploration wise it's better, too. The combat is the stickinng point and really comes down to preference as they are both so different.

The first Horizon was so bland I didn't even know there was a second one until like a week after it came out and then I immediately forgot that fact too.

But I am 100% incapable of liking or appreciating or finding a single redeeming factor in most AAA videogames these days, especially I guess console exclusive games which isn't "because they're popular" but because any kind of art of creative project that is undertaken with profit as the primary motivator reeks of like, focus groups and making things as approachably bland and recognizably non-distinct as possible to not scare off any potential buyers with things like 'complexity' or 'depth'. They become predictable, you know exactly where they're going (gameplay-wise) if you've played a few of them and they hold no surprises for you in that department. And those are the same games that force you through 30+ minute long unskippable tutorials that teach you basics like how to walk forward and strafe (thinking of Gears of War 5 here, lmao). Horizon had to feel 100% identical to every other Ubisoft Open World type game ever made or else it would scare off casual console gamers who don't want to do something as difficult as learn how to play a new game, the demographic that spends the most money on videogames.

(I'm not saying everyone who likes Horizon is a casual console gamer or whatever, just that I don't like it because it was made to appeal to the tastes of casual console gamers which precludes it from having anything interesting [to me, a jaded nerd who has been playing video games for 30 years] going on)

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Sep 25, 2022

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Vampire Panties posted:

It sounds more like you need a game to not be hard to be fun

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

I thought the horizon games were just another couple of boring overdone open world games imo.

The dinobots and combat were a bit more interesting at first but not enough to carry the games. They were also about 3 times as long as they should have been. I miss a solid 10 hour single player campaign. Side quests especially can gently caress off in most games now too imo, just padding because for some reason every open world game has to have at least 60 hours of content or some poo poo. And if I have to craft one more thing in any game ever I'm gonna craft a knife and stab my eyes out.

It's like Far Cry 3 was kind of rad when it first came out, but that kind of open world formula has been beaten to death now.

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

HZD Is one of those games I think is best played on the hardest difficulty. The setting suits the survivalist vibe, and making use of every skill and trap you have with the knowledge of environments and target weaknesses felt really rewarding.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

The first Horizon was so bland I didn't even know there was a second one until like a week after it came out and then I immediately forgot that fact too.

But I am 100% incapable of liking or appreciating or finding a single redeeming factor in most AAA videogames these days, especially I guess console exclusive games which isn't "because they're popular" but because any kind of art of creative project that is undertaken with profit as the primary motivator reeks of like, focus groups and making things as approachably bland and recognizably non-distinct as possible to not scare off any potential buyers with things like 'complexity' or 'depth'. They become predictable, you know exactly where they're going (gameplay-wise) if you've played a few of them and they hold no surprises for you in that department. And those are the same games that force you through 30+ minute long unskippable tutorials that teach you basics like how to walk forward and strafe (thinking of Gears of War 5 here, lmao). Horizon had to feel 100% identical to every other Ubisoft Open World type game ever made or else it would scare off casual console gamers who don't want to do something as difficult as learn how to play a new game, the demographic that spends the most money on videogames.

(I'm not saying everyone who likes Horizon is a casual console gamer or whatever, just that I don't like it because it was made to appeal to the tastes of casual console gamers which precludes it from having anything interesting [to me, a jaded nerd who has been playing video games for 30 years] going on)

All I could think when I was playing Horizon The First One was gee I've played this game before. Played Farcry 3. Don't need Farcry 20. Just so completely devoid of any reason to exist besides it'll make them money. Games can be fun, interesting, and profitable but that's not enough they have to make all the money ALL OF IT. I think the last AAA title I liked was Doom Eternal and before that... uhh I don't know. Dota? Which doesn't really count. Dishonored probably doesn't count as triple a either. I guess the mario karts would still be fun but I can't justify a console just for like the 3 games I'd get.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Sep 25, 2022

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Redezga posted:

HZD Is one of those games I think is best played on the hardest difficulty. The setting suits the survivalist vibe, and making use of every skill and trap you have with the knowledge of environments and target weaknesses felt really rewarding.

I played it on the hardest difficulty (I think?) but I just shot a few Tear Arrows at everything and that was enough to kill them. If I ran out of Tear Arrows I immediately went hunting for more of whatever materials I needed to make them and stockpiled them. I am incapable of not min/maxing in videogames.

I didn't beat it though because I hated all the long story segments where you just held down forward to run through some cyberpunk hallway for 20 minutes while listening to dialog, and all the discussion I was reading about the game online was talking about how those were the best part

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Sep 25, 2022

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Redezga posted:

Nah. It is more fun to play in normal, because you don't have to deal with all that survivalist bullshit.

Just mow down some robodinos. :blastu:

Clowner
Dec 13, 2006

Further in
I like Elden Ring enough as my first serious attempt at a FROM game (completely bombed and gave up on dark souls 3 and blood borne) that I went out and bought demon souls and the dark souls remaster so I might be a total idiot but

Horizon forbidden west was a garbage dump and one of the most boring games around. Nothing about it was surprising or exciting, just rote and predictable. Playing on the hardest difficulty setting sounds awful. You'd have to spend absurd amounts of time grinding for crafting materials (none of which would be fun) for each and every encounter (which aren't fun to begin with) because every single robot becomes an ridiculous arrow sponge. Also they really failed to make Aloy interesting on any level, like, give her some dimension, geez.

It's one is the bigger letdowns of my hobby recently and I'll be salty about it for at least another few months

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Clowner posted:

Horizon forbidden west was a garbage dump and one of the most boring games around. Nothing about it was surprising or exciting, just rote and predictable. Playing on the hardest difficulty setting sounds awful. You'd have to spend absurd amounts of time grinding for crafting materials (none of which would be fun) for each and every encounter (which aren't fun to begin with) because every single robot becomes an ridiculous arrow sponge. Also they really failed to make Aloy interesting on any level, like, give her some dimension, geez.

It's one is the bigger letdowns of my hobby recently and I'll be salty about it for at least another few months

I agree. Made it through maybe a third of the game. Probably less actually. And that was after forcing myself to keep playing to see if I could get more interested. It's not a very good game

Crafting sucks, combat isn't great and just feels like a slog plus you generally want to avoid it where you can because you just spend resources that then you have to go recollect. Good effort but nah

Anyways as for new games Jack Move, Metal Hellsinger, There Is No Light and Fashion Police Squad are all really fun. Also I do like Steelrising

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Theres a second shield in Bloodborne that is situationally useful. Theres also the fact that the number of enemies where I used the side arms was less than five and the only time I ever felt like I genuinely could not progress without it was the final boss leads me to view the shield troll as kind of pathetic.

Honestly, Bloodborne is a really mediocre 15 hour game with bad implementations of its few unique ideas saved almost entirely by its early game aesthetic.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Barudak spitting truths and destroying goons.

--

Mario Kart Wii is the best Mario Kart.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Clowner posted:

It was really a piece of poo poo compared to the first one. They really hosed up the combat in some way, I think a big part of it is that the robots rush the hell out of you can get in your face the entire time.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Oh I didn't even realize you were talking about the new one because the old one is just as bad

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Horizon (the first one) does a lot of what Breath of the Wild does but much better

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
90% of modern fps levels are an order of magnitude less fun to play through than the average random doom engine/build engine player-built custom level downloaded via dialup in the late 90s.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Breetai posted:

90% of modern fps levels are an order of magnitude less fun to play through than the average random doom engine/build engine player-built custom level downloaded via dialup in the late 90s.

80% of modern fps levels are worse than levels made by OBLIGE random Doom level generator

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
doom wasn't that good :smug:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Collapsing Farts posted:

Yes, which makes it all the more pathetic that barely anything has even matched it for the last three decades

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Collapsing Farts posted:

Even in this thread some things are sacred you monster

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
"speed running" is what i call it when i get a large latte for breakfast and panera's bathroom is closed :grin:

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Collapsing Farts posted:

I'm sure it was really good for awhile but then DN3D and Quake came out and for some reason the old timers just couldn't move on from Doom.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

is pepsi ok posted:

I'm sure it was really good for awhile but then DN3D and Quake came out and for some reason the old timers just couldn't move on from Doom.

For a long time I held the position that id made great engines and bad games. I've come around on Doom since seeing decades of everyone doing FPS badly made me appreciate it a lot more, but Quake is still a bad game to play. Even Quake 2 is better and Quake 2 is also bad.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Random Stranger posted:

For a long time I held the position that id made great engines and bad games. I've come around on Doom since seeing decades of everyone doing FPS badly made me appreciate it a lot more, but Quake is still a bad game to play. Even Quake 2 is better and Quake 2 is also bad.

Amen to that. I remember trying out the demo for Project Warlock, one of those "boomer shooters" that starting cropping up like mushrooms after rain. The demo had dozens of different enemies, all prettily animated in a pixel style... who just stood there shooting slow projectiles and/or shuffling forwards slowly to bite you. Tapping sidestep or backpedal every few seconds rendered all enemies impotent. That's just a single example, but I see all sorts of boneheaded poo poo all over the place.

Like, iD created the fps genre, and even by Doom2 they figured out a lot of flaws with the gameplay and made things better. It's been almost thirty loving years and people are still releasing bad fps games, doubly shameful are the recent ones aimed at people who've already played better.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Quake 2 is not good, but it is the first fumbling step towards a linear no "level" fps game with objective tracking and radio buddies. Its just, man its not good to actually play.

Devil May Cry 2 is the Quake 2 of Character Action Games.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Barudak posted:

Quake 2 is not good, but it is the first fumbling step towards a linear no "level" fps game with objective tracking and radio buddies. Its just, man its not good to actually play.
That was System Shock, released a few years earlier. It's first person, you shoot, the level is an open ended ship, there is objectives and radio buddies.

e: oops missed the linear part! I guess it might have been the first one of those, not a huge differentiator but it definitely is one.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Sep 25, 2022

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
having no "levels" is not an improvement
it's a technical accomplishment sure but it doesn't really improve gameplay

Barudak
May 7, 2007

SCheeseman posted:

That was System Shock, released a few years earlier. It's first person, you shoot, the level is an open ended ship, there is objectives and radio buddies.

e: oops missed the linear part! I guess it might have been the first one of those, not a huge differentiator but it definitely is one.

Yeah System Shock 2 is has way more open design and combat isnt really the thing it does good. Quake 2 wants to focus on action and, oof, boy it doesn't do that good either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Collapsing Farts posted:

Ironically Doom (the originals) is the best VR game available right now. And the only good VR game available right now. That includes the same VR app being able to play Chex Quest and stuff too but the whole qzdoom or whatever for oculus quest owns and is the only fun VR thing

I was never big on Doom but Doom clone Prodeus (which just came out of early access 2 days ago) is unironically very good

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Sep 25, 2022