Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

is taurox's rampage mechanic broken? i did a harsh rampage and got the reward for it but didn't unlock the campaign movement refresh button which you're supposed to get. it kind of makes getting any higher rampage very difficult without it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Turn-times and generally battle loading times are the only thing holding me back from playing IE games to completion. I already have a beefy 3070ti GPU and the game on an old-ish SSD. Would a faster processor or newer kind of SSD improve load-times/turn-speeds or is it just something we all have to live with?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I hear the guys at Fermilab have it running smoothly, might wanna ask them what their hardware is like?

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Ravenfood posted:

Sacking and then occupying takes two turns but gets you more cash. It also degrades the level of the settlement more, which matters if you take a really nice one. If you want to move a bit faster you can use two armies, one to sack and the other to occupy on the next turn, but that is still slower than just doing it all on the combined option.

I do think the sacking bonuses you get do apply though.

You can sack a city then occupy it the same turn (if you have the movement). The thing you can't do is sack then raze.

AFAIK sacking bonuses only apply to sacking, and looting bonuses only apply to looting.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
Yes but sacking downgrades 1 level, for example t4 -> t3, then occupying it the same turn takes it a further level, t3 -> t2. While loot and occupy just takes it t4 -> t3, potentially saving you a ton of growth time.

Edit woops misread what part of the post you where replying to sorry :v:

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Noir89 posted:

Yes but sacking downgrades 1 level, for example t4 -> t3, then occupying it the same turn takes it a further level, t3 -> t2. While loot and occupy just takes it t4 -> t3, potentially saving you a ton of growth time.

Edit woops misread what part of the post you where replying to sorry :v:

But sacking then occupying lets you afford to buy growth buildings and get set up.

Factions like tomb kings live and die off the sack + occupy. Hell if you aren't planning to keep it, Sack + occupy + sell it to someone you aren't at war with for even more cash the next turn after you slap some fresh paint on the buildings you just burned. its... easy money

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I'm still learning how to git gud at this game, and have recently had my eyes open how on amzing sacking is. It probably helps that we're not playing TW1 anymore where you need to slowly paint the map building up all conquered provinces as you go (as your capital is already filled up, ugh). Like ^^^ said, you can just sack the crap outa everything nowadays and put that money back into your actually good provinces. Even if you keep the settlement at a net loss of gold&growth, the sudden cash transfer being put into a more useful place does wonders for the campaign tempo.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Sacking is great since if you occupy, you have to spend your resources which are limited.

But sacking is taking someone elses resources they spend instead.

If you need cash, don't expand, just sack.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back
Allied with Greasus, he asks me to go to war with one of the minor Ogre factions, I check to make sure I don't have a non-aggression pact with them and then say yes

Turns out I had a trade agreement with them, and declaring on someone you trade with tanks your reliability just as badly as declaring on someone you have a non-aggression pact with

Next turn, two factions declare war on me and another one cancels their non-aggression pact with me

If it's going to punish you that hard for diplomatic mishaps it should really put a warning in, learning the specifics of how Reliability works the hard way sucks

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Serephina posted:

I hear the guys at Fermilab have it running smoothly, might wanna ask them what their hardware is like?
For faster load times I would work at Fermilab.

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!
I wish more factions had access to an encamp like stance, the main reason I wind up occupying poo poo territory is for a chance to replenish troops in the doom stack.

Dark elves in particular should have an encamp stance or like raiding or something should recover hp but leave them winded idk

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Pierson posted:

Turn-times and generally battle loading times are the only thing holding me back from playing IE games to completion. I already have a beefy 3070ti GPU and the game on an old-ish SSD. Would a faster processor or newer kind of SSD improve load-times/turn-speeds or is it just something we all have to live with?

turn times are mainly processor bound but you should also turn up the animation speeds on factions you don't care about. i set all heroes and neutral lords to off/fastest. i almost always set all enemy lords to medium/fastest and usually allies to off/fastest, but i may turn off a particularly distant enemy or turn on a particularly important ally.

load times are mainly drive loading and memory bound. i have a not-even-particularly-fast SSD and they seem fine to me though?

wet_goods posted:

I wish more factions had access to an encamp like stance, the main reason I wind up occupying poo poo territory is for a chance to replenish troops in the doom stack.

Dark elves in particular should have an encamp stance or like raiding or something should recover hp but leave them winded idk

black arks have a stance that gives replenish to all armies within their circle. that's the dark elf replacement for encamp

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
unrelated to replying to people, i finally get flamers now. they are just grenade troops. and they loving wreck dwarfs.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Vizuyos posted:

If it's going to punish you that hard for diplomatic mishaps it should really put a warning in, learning the specifics of how Reliability works the hard way sucks

Yeah I've fallen foul of this a few times, since you can have separate NAPs and trade agreements you'd think the latter wouldn't cover aggression but who knows

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!

Cease to Hope posted:

turn times are mainly processor bound but you should also turn up the animation speeds on factions you don't care about. i set all heroes and neutral lords to off/fastest. i almost always set all enemy lords to medium/fastest and usually allies to off/fastest, but i may turn off a particularly distant enemy or turn on a particularly important ally.

load times are mainly drive loading and memory bound. i have a not-even-particularly-fast SSD and they seem fine to me though?

black arks have a stance that gives replenish to all armies within their circle. that's the dark elf replacement for encamp

Oh i never realized that, speaking of which during my last game my black arks didn’t heal on their own even when in the expansion stance, am I missing something there too?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

wet_goods posted:

Oh i never realized that, speaking of which during my last game my black arks didn’t heal on their own even when in the expansion stance, am I missing something there too?

no it's just bugged

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

It was supposed to be that all naval units only heal in the seas with no enemy ports touching it. But it gets wonky and black arks are supposed to always heal. But it doesn't seem to do that.

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!

Cease to Hope posted:

no it's just bugged

Oh cool, that was a massive pita during my malakith game

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

In my Throt game, he's turning into the last bulwark of civilization against the Wintertooth tide right now. Trolls quietly picked up almost 20 settlements while I've been taking out Kislev, and now it's up to a three-armed rat with a vs. Large bonus to save the world.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(

AtomikKrab posted:

But sacking then occupying lets you afford to buy growth buildings and get set up.

Factions like tomb kings live and die off the sack + occupy. Hell if you aren't planning to keep it, Sack + occupy + sell it to someone you aren't at war with for even more cash the next turn after you slap some fresh paint on the buildings you just burned. its... easy money

Oh yeah I just wanted to highlight that there are a difference between them other than "Straightly worse" :)

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
this Mannfred campaign has been one of the hardest I've ever played. took out Volkmar turn 5, then Tik'taq'to, Kroq-Gar, Top Knots, Settra, Skarbrand, Jungle Orcs, Oreon, and loving Kairos have war decc'ed me. I'm just waiting for Thorek to join the party

all my minors can't get walls since everyone sends armies to snipe my territories. on the flip side all my capitols are tier 3 with walls and awakened battlefields making them incredibly hard to actually take. there are battle fields everywhere ranging from 3k to 6k bodies. my actual problem is not having the money to maintain anything more than zombie stacks for everyone but Mannfred

Kairos pulled a fast one on me by teleporting into a spot where my ambushing army was and ambushing me. I'm fairly sure I wasn't discovered but those zombies and Master Necromancer went down hard

I think Mannfred has to deal with Kairos quickly or I risk the army wide freeze and getting caught up

oh and Skarbrand apparently couldn't take a tier 3 settlement with a Master Necromancer with a crap stack of zombies. Vampire magic truly is OP

it's turn 35 now and I still haven't had time to go after the closest book to do my second quest battle

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

If I don't want to over-extend I usually loot and occupy, followed up by demolishing all of the buildings. Here you go AI you can have it back now.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

AtomikKrab posted:

Even better, sack then raze with Tomb Kings and have your special Necrotect dude come in and instantly revert it to a T3 settlement. This is especially nice vs a T2 major settlement which will take considerable time and money to get up to T3 vs getting a chunk of money+having it at T3 already. And Tomb Kings' relavent blue skill gives bonuses for sacking, looting, and raiding all in the same skill.

The one I seldom use is loot+occupy. It's a huge public order hit and damages buildings so you're getting a bit more money up front in exchange for a bunch of penalties. I guess you can do it and immediately hand the place over to an ally for more money.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I’m still unclear as to how I play Wood Elves on the battlefield. I played Drycha and just literally rushed the whole world down with tree dudes, but I want to try Orion and field a more elf army.

Do I play them like high elves and just use a lot of archers, or am I supposed to be really cavalry heavy? I feel like their melee units aren’t great anvils, and I always end up getting my lines broken then all my archers get wrecked.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Alright, did a Kislev RoC campaign (cool concept but never doing that again) and then an IE Archaon shitstomp for catharsis that I long victory'd on Turn 87 because lmao WoC tuning

I dunno how CA managed to make IE play so well but they loving did it. Game owns, forever.

Gonna take a break for a bit and then probably do a Zhao Ming or Noctilus IE run next - are Cathay or Vampirates busted on the IE map in any way I should be aware of? I know Bretts and Dorfs are at least.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
loot & occupy is for 3 territory provinces where you want to fight a rebellion at the capitol. so say skaven, vampires or dark elves. it's also a good option when you know you're going to sell it to an ally

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Greenskins have a pretty decent chance not to degrade the settlement level at all when they loot and occupy. So I always use that option with them.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

I’m still unclear as to how I play Wood Elves on the battlefield. I played Drycha and just literally rushed the whole world down with tree dudes, but I want to try Orion and field a more elf army.

Do I play them like high elves and just use a lot of archers, or am I supposed to be really cavalry heavy? I feel like their melee units aren’t great anvils, and I always end up getting my lines broken then all my archers get wrecked.

This is based off WH1 and WH2, I haven't played Wood Elves in WH3 yet.

Late game Orion plays kind of like beastmen with better skirmishers. The only anvil unit they have is the basic Eternal Guard, every other infantry unit is based around attacking. You use your killer skirmishers to kill high value targets and get the enemy to spread out. Your cavalry is one of the only decent late game fast cavalry out there, and murders on the charge, so pick off some of those isolated groups and protect your skirmishers from cavalry and hunt their archers. Your infantry, too, is pretty fragile but kills well, and in WH2 welfs were some of the only factions who still did really good work with their infantry. You just need to try and pick isolated groups if possible because they are fairly fragile. Spear dancers can hold for awhile in melee with their mdef though, but get shot to poo poo.

Wood elves have good archers but actually can lose pretty badly in shooting matches. Their high tier units come with a great range, stalk, and fire while moving but also have 2/3rds the unit size of something like crossbows and do not do 50% more damage, so a unit of crossbows and a unit of Waywatchers actually trade fairly well if you let the crossbows get in range. (Crossbows do a tiny bit more damage per volley). Compared to shades, Waywatchers actually have less damage per model AND fewer models, so you really cannot get into a slugging match. But that's why they come with 190 range at base. Glade guard are fantastic archers but the faction doesn't really have a high end line, as you found out. Eternal Guard and Glade Guard at the beginning are good, but by late game the idea of a fixed front line for Wood elves kind of vanishes. Your top tier archers can't hold in a fixed shooting match, your cavalry is medium weight shock cav, and your infantry can kill things but isn't that durable. What they all are is fast for their class, so you need to pick things off by locally outnumbering enemies.

E: think of your infantry kind of like witch elves or slaanesh daemonettes if that helps. I like a mix of speardancers and bladesingers. They are not durable.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Sep 25, 2022

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I don't remember, but can glade guard fire on the move when chasing something down

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

yeti friend posted:

Greenskins have a pretty decent chance not to degrade the settlement level at all when they loot and occupy. So I always use that option with them.

Yeah that combined with their huge sack/loot bonuses makes it my default tactic as GS nowadays.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

I like that Skaven can sack and then establish undercity, but sometimes what I really wish I could do is capture a city, then transfer settlement to an ally while keeping the undercity.

I also wish I could finish this Ikit Claw campaign, it involves playing whackamole with the Tomb Kings crisis while trying to ignore the rest of the world chain-declaring on me. Alarielle showed up with five stacks! I got the pyramid but those TK jerks somehow took a province way far away.

Also while I’m whining the single feature I want most is a skill point queue. Are there any mods for that yet?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Third World Reagan posted:

I don't remember, but can glade guard fire on the move when chasing something down

They can, yes. All Wood Elf archers get fire on the move. Glade Guard get the normal forward firing arc and so can only fire while moving forward. Deepwood scouts and up get the 360 firing angle and so can skirmish as well.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
My biggest problem is being allied with queek and finding out I need to eliminate him to win a short victory and he controls the entire badlands.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Time to tank that reliability rating

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
they finally got me to install my first mod. I confederated Azhag at level 30. It's not looking good folks. He went 100% in on his melee line and ignored everything else. Respec mod here I come.

Holy gently caress azhag gives all orcs Vanguard deployment. THIS IS RIDICULOUS

Jarvisi fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Sep 25, 2022

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009

VSOKUL girl posted:

just embrace the new tehenahuin campaign. you get to fight everything! lizardmen! empire! helves! vamps! skarbrand! more lizardmen! tomb kings! more tomb kings! orcs! it's all there!

at least you've got a nice defensible southern front (until oxyotl sails in).
Oxyotl is locked in a stalemate with the Tzeentch minor, I ate the Nurglish faction and set up a truce with the crab gals.

Glad I persevered with the campaign - I was enjoying it, it was just more stressful than anticipated. I pushed northwards until I met some more villains and got my borders secure. I got the Grudge Too Far endgame event on turn 101, which was the one I was fearing - Thorek came back from the dead with four stacks. I put them down after 6 turns of very frenetic battles and I’m thinking I’ll call the campaign done here. Good fun despite my initial dismay at the lack of any way to meaningfully engage with the diplomacy system.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

I think I hate Ku'gath's start more than anything I've played so far, even the bugged ones? You've got the slowest army growth in the history of the universe, your buildings are too expensive to do anything with, and by the time you get off your little fail-peninsula Helman Ghorst has like 5 stacks of zombies just chilling.

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.
Tzeentch has terrible replenishment and a bad economy

BUT

every time Kairos said "Come to Fateweaver" I repeated it in the Butthead voice and that got me through to the VH campaign victory

Hur hur hur.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Ripper Swarm posted:

Tzeentch has terrible replenishment and a bad economy

why do people keep saying this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.
I did Kairos immediately after Skarbrand, who can full heal his whole army from nearly dead in only 2-3 turns in any stance, anywhere, all the while rolling in cash from chain sacking because he so rarely has to stop.

The difference was noticeable :shrug: