Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

orange juche posted:

I love that you've kept this av ever since I made the cursed thing for you all those years ago

its the perfect av

im forbidden from posting in ycs on my rapsheet bc of it

im riding it until the servers burn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I hope I never lose this custom title.

Also two weeks to Hardspace on xbox gamepass.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I hope I never lose this custom title.

Also two weeks to Hardspace on xbox gamepass.

you'll get a kick outta it

its a fantastic puzzle game imo

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

What are they going to do.... probate you? Thats just a tax on coward posters.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

its the perfect av

no mods no masters, post in ycs

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Turns out the Guardians of the Galaxy PS4 game is awesome, I was surprised how it made having a five person team fun and with interesting environments to explore and enemies to blast. Not as memey as the movies and no Chris Pratt, so that’s wonderful. Not quite up to Arkham or Spider-Man but not too far off either.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

its the perfect av

I just realized I lost my gang tags for this bit. lol

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

holy poo poo so much yakuza coming

also kiryu is going full silver fox

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

The THPS 1+2 download is 25$ as part of the Switch sale. Goes through next Monday. A lot of Doom stuff and the Lego Star Wars thing is 42 bucks.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

SquirrelyPSU posted:

The THPS 1+2 download is 25$ as part of the Switch sale. Goes through next Monday. A lot of Doom stuff and the Lego Star Wars thing is 42 bucks.

THPS 1+2 is best enjoyed on anything other than switch tbh. If its all you've got for a console or no pc then its totally fine, but it's infinitely more playable on ps4/xbox/pc

fantastic remake tho for reals

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Shipbreaker is alright so far. Sunk about an hour into it. I don't know if it will break my farm sim habit.

Farm sim is just great for setting an AI in a tractor and spacing out to a podcast. Shipbreaker is power wash simulator levels of attention compared to harvesting canola.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It’s normally pretty chill with some exceptions.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Turns out the Guardians of the Galaxy PS4 game is awesome, I was surprised how it made having a five person team fun and with interesting environments to explore and enemies to blast. Not as memey as the movies and no Chris Pratt, so that’s wonderful. Not quite up to Arkham or Spider-Man but not too far off either.

I retract my endorsement of this game, got dull after a promising start. Same fights over and over and too much talking. Not a disaster but nowhere near Spider-Man.

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

THPS 1+2 is best enjoyed on anything other than switch tbh. If its all you've got for a console or no pc then its totally fine, but it's infinitely more playable on ps4/xbox/pc

fantastic remake tho for reals

Oh yeah just got that on my PS pass and it’s a lot of fun. Glad my mediocre skills are enough to get level unlocks.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Shipbreaker is alright so far. Sunk about an hour into it. I don't know if it will break my farm sim habit.

Farm sim is just great for setting an AI in a tractor and spacing out to a podcast. Shipbreaker is power wash simulator levels of attention compared to harvesting canola.

There's some tense moments, but I'm past that. I can just zen out and tear apart a Heavy Cargo Javelin now.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

yeah thps remake was fantastic, I got 100% on every skater during covid and i still am working on getting every gap checked off

if you loved thps back in the day its so drat good

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

yeah thps remake was fantastic, I got 100% on every skater during covid and i still am working on getting every gap checked off

if you loved thps back in the day its so drat good

Did the soundtrack change at all? The game was already good, but the soundtrack way back when was what pushed it to perfection.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Icon Of Sin posted:

Did the soundtrack change at all? The game was already good, but the soundtrack way back when was what pushed it to perfection.

its got like 95% of the tracks from the old games. They added a bunch of new stuff too and it all fits super well.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

So here I am

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

GD_American posted:

There's some tense moments, but I'm past that. I can just zen out and tear apart a Heavy Cargo Javelin now.

I put another hour into it today, can't find any of my first ship, thought I scrapped it all, but apparently I'm missing 15%~ of it. Must have flung a chunk off and not noticed. Took me too long to realize what walls I could cut.

I'll easily sink a few more hours into it, still not 100% on it's vibe, but I do like it.

Also is the music supposed to remind me of Firefly? Because it's reminding me of Firefly. Not a bad thing.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Also is the music supposed to remind me of Firefly? Because it's reminding me of Firefly. Not a bad thing.

I got more of a StarCraft 1 intro vibe from it when I tried it. At least, before the Protoss showed up :v:

https://youtu.be/gld_NAgBgwE

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

i put over 120 hours in it during early access, its a rad game and im glad youre finally trying it out

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Icon Of Sin posted:

I got more of a StarCraft 1 intro vibe from it when I tried it. At least, before the Protoss showed up :v:

https://youtu.be/gld_NAgBgwE

I think space trucker with a southern twang is my favorite sci-fi trope.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I put another hour into it today, can't find any of my first ship, thought I scrapped it all, but apparently I'm missing 15%~ of it. Must have flung a chunk off and not noticed. Took me too long to realize what walls I could cut.

I'll easily sink a few more hours into it, still not 100% on it's vibe, but I do like it.

It’s a puzzle game at heart. Defuse the few hazards that exist (more types are added as you get experience), and tear it apart the way you most enjoy.

Tethers are a major anti-frustration device. Tie one end on the junk, tie the other to the destination, let it fly.

I generally rip exterior poo poo off Mackerels first (fuel tank, antennas), decompress the ship, then pop off the roof and floor panels (each one has two yellow cut points). Tether them out to the processor, and now you can basically float along the top of the ship’s center corridor, ripping off pieces and sending them to the barge below easily.

Cut the four cut points keeping the nose section attached. Bump that away, then cut the three cut points on either side of the cockpit. Now that hull piece either falls away in one piece (if the exterior bull bars are there) or 3 pieces. Either way, tether them to the processor. Now start pulling seats/terminals from the cockpit section and barging them. Then furnace the empty cockpit.

Exterior walls cut away pretty easily (at first; later Mackerels have weirder and weirder connection points). Only complication is the airlock. You’ve got six cut points there; the four holding the frames around it together, and the two semi-hidden ones holding the airlock to the exterior frame.

By the way, that airlock design is in every ship in the game. Master it and you get a lot quicker overall.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
My strategy is generally this: day one: salvage engine and valuable exterior components. Decompress and pop the cork on the hull. Time allowing get the reactor too.

Day 2: skin the ship and then start tossing in every easy valuable item. Make safe any additional hazards like explosives, cryo, and electrics.

Day 3: chop up the frame and just toss in large sections into the green bin. 100% doesn't matter, just getting the final milestone makes any difference.

That timetable works for the largest ships. The smallest ones I can process in a single day.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I'm going to jump on it again in a bit but it's only going to be my second ship, and I'm still getting used to maneuvering. The whole floating around bit takes a lot of getting used to, and I don't think I can set tethers yet.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Yea, once you get tethers the game is entirely different.

Also one thing I dislike about it is that eventually you get to a point where you will always have an explosive decompression.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

CainFortea posted:

Also one thing I dislike about it is that eventually you get to a point where you will always have an explosive decompression.

Holding onto something negates all of the threat of decompression except for flying objects. If shipwide decompression is inevitable, close all of the bulkheads and do it one compartment at a time. You usually have a second to get away from the door and grab into a wall.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I'm going to jump on it again in a bit but it's only going to be my second ship, and I'm still getting used to maneuvering. The whole floating around bit takes a lot of getting used to, and I don't think I can set tethers yet.

oh yeah teathers change everything

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Nuclear Tourist posted:

I think space trucker with a southern twang is my favorite sci-fi trope.

Who the gently caress else gonna live in the loving space boonies and how else will they fuel their space meth addictions?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

CainFortea posted:

It becomes trivial when you figure out the game physics. Never pop it from outside. Find the one working pressure regulator (they’ve patched it so every ship has at least one). Vent that compartment. Grab a wall, open the door (or cut it, in a ghost ship). Rinse, repeat.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I'm at the tether training part.

Did not realize at all there was a timer, almost died from forgetting to get oxygen a few times, blew up a gas cylinder, and have lost countless parts, because I lose track of them as they float away.

Not bad. Not bad at all. Controls are still going to take getting used to, I have farm sim controls locked in my head and they don't mesh.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
I generally didn't use the right/left hand-grab function much, but I used the gently caress out of the suit's brake function. Don't need to hold something to keep stable if you're always stable with the brake on! :eng101:

This may not be useful if you don't have a mouse with a ring finger button you can set as the brake.

Edit for below response: holy crap that's a bad default combination for the brake considering how much I hammered it for precise cuts

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Sep 22, 2022

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Yeah, this is on xbone and the brake is pushing in on both sticks. Individually, pushing in on the sticks rotate the character.

I should be more proactive about changing the preset controls.

E: this game throws off my normal routine of muting the tv and just listening to podcasts or music.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Sep 22, 2022

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I had zero issues just absolutely going buck wild moving in zero G and it only underscores the fact that I was born too early to have my own career getting annihilated in space reactor explosions

I liked mouse and keyboard way better than controller

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I used brake more than anything. Two sticks is terrible, change that. Brake is basically “kill all inertia”. You’ll use it as much as you would the gas pedal in a racing game.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I think they went with the sticks for brake because your thumbs are already there, but they're a huge pain in the rear end compared to using a shoulder button that seems to have nothing assigned to it.

I'll look into it tomorrow.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

GD_American posted:

It becomes trivial when you figure out the game physics. Never pop it from outside. Find the one working pressure regulator (they’ve patched it so every ship has at least one). Vent that compartment. Grab a wall, open the door (or cut it, in a ghost ship). Rinse, repeat.

Oh, I know how to handle it. I just hate it.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

*tries Mafia 3, wonders if gators will go for tossing an unconscious guard in the bayou water*

*ding! Trophy!*

This game is alright

lol it has one of my favorite dumb things to do in open world crime games: have my no name low level crime guy drive a rustheap at 100mph into a line of limos outside the local crime boss’s mansion then run inside and have no one acknowledge this. Always good for a cheap laugh.

Hyrax Attack! fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Sep 25, 2022

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I didnt see it mentioned, but Satisfactory Update 6 is out for early access folks. It's been on Experimental since June.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Mafia 3 is fabulous.

The sheer joy I had breaking up a Klan Rally with a well coordinated ambush is unrivaled in video games.