Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

This is the reality of this increasingly stagnant war. "All quiet on the front" -> 50 dead. With no end in sight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

it is beginning

https://twitter.com/TpyxaNews/status/1574059122399629313?s=20&t=Zdpt-aYkMNRXM7S6gjMENw

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
https://twitter.com/austinjdahmer/status/1569396251703103489?t=qLIcmGURPekK9Ze6H0v9PA&s=19

Here's some numbers what US production capacity for artillery shells looks like. I hope there's a plan what to do when GMLRS stockpiles run low, and Ukraine may no longer be able to suppress Russian ammo depots the way they're doing now.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

FishBulbia posted:

This is the reality of this increasingly stagnant war. "All quiet on the front" -> 50 dead. With no end in sight.

There's been lots of movement in the last month. The war is not stagnant

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Charlz Guybon posted:

There's been lots of movement in the last month. The war is not stagnant

And even on the fronts that do not move there is immense death constantly. Today may be a slow news day, but it never stops.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

https://twitter.com/bneeditor/status/1574010324407173121

good precedent i guess

saratoga
Mar 5, 2001
This is a Randbrick post. It goes in that D&D megathread on page 294

"i think obama was mediocre in that debate, but hillary was fucking terrible. also russert is filth."

-randbrick, 12/26/08

FishBulbia posted:

And even on the fronts that do not move there is immense death constantly. Today may be a slow news day, but it never stops.

The clusterfuck of Russian mobilization is dominating Twitter, but today is not a slow day. There is heavy fighting Ukraine pushes around lyman, which is nearly encircled and the Russians are fighting to relieve.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

saratoga posted:

The clusterfuck of Russian mobilization is dominating Twitter, but today is not a slow day. There is heavy fighting Ukraine pushes around lyman, which is nearly encircled and the Russians are fighting to relieve.

The article was about the Kherson front though

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Are you still trying to suggest this is a ‘stagnant’ war after the events of this last month, and what is still happening right now on the ground?

Repeating things by rote does not make them true. This is not a stagnant war or a frozen conflict; that’s not to say it could not eventually become one, but it is prima facie not the case that it is one now.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

ZombieLenin posted:

Are you still trying to suggest this is a ‘stagnant’ war after the events of this last month, and what is still happening right now on the ground?

Repeating things by rote does not make them true. This is not a stagnant war or a frozen conflict; that’s not to say it could not eventually become one, but it is prima facie not the case that it is one now.

I'm saying the mud season is starting

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

saratoga posted:

We can go weeks without hearing about advances in the southern front but the artillery war carries on, this was the allusion I was making with the Remarque quote.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Dagestan was the most problematic region with implementing covid lockdowns so it is no surprise that another government interference into private lives (this time to kill them, not save) is facing resistance. Aligns with what most analysts described in that covid has shown cracks in Putin's social contract with population and mobilization is going to shatter it. Hopefully it spreads across the country and into federal center.

fatherboxx fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Sep 25, 2022

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

fatherboxx posted:

Dagestan was the most problematic region with implementing covid lockdowns so it is no surprise that another government interference into private lives (this time to kill them, not save) is facing resistance. Aligns with what most analysts described in that covid has shown cracks in Putin's social contract with population and mobilization is going to shatter it. Hopefully it spreads across the country and into federal center.

The mobilization of the African colonies during the world wars played a role in setting up independence movements. This will be a much faster version of that.

Part of the reason I shy away from totalitarian comparisons for Putin is that totalitarian states are great at mobilizing, Putin is an extremely effective autocrat for his ability to demobilize. "Do what you want, as long is it doesn't overly affect me" is basically the persistent popular opinion in Russia. Standing up is not worth it when you can kinda just dissociate from reality.

FishBulbia fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Sep 25, 2022

Keisari
May 24, 2011

FishBulbia posted:

I'm saying the mud season is starting

That doesn't make it a stagnant war. Ww2 eastern front also had pauses during the mud season, yet I don't believe anyone would consider it was ever stagnant.

Also, the war can seem slow day by day, but jesus this massively successful counteroffensive literally just happened. Let's not be that myopic. Russia is still headed for disaster in the months to come.

How warm coats and boots do you believe this Great Power(tm) can send to the front? What about winter tires for their trucks? Perhaps top-shelf one's from Shanghai?

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Keisari posted:

That doesn't make it a stagnant war. Ww2 eastern front also had pauses during the mud season, yet I don't believe anyone would consider it was ever stagnant.

Also, the war can seem slow day by day, but jesus this massively successful counteroffensive literally just happened. Let's not be that myopic. Russia is still headed for disaster in the months to come.

How warm coats and boots do you believe this Great Power(tm) can send to the front? What about winter tires for their trucks? Perhaps top-shelf one's from Shanghai?

2 unrelated statements and I'm just waxing about how immense death fades from the headlines as a state of war becomes normalized, the point of title "nothing new on the western front"

saratoga
Mar 5, 2001

"i think obama was mediocre in that debate, but hillary was fucking terrible. also russert is filth."

-randbrick, 12/26/08

FishBulbia posted:

We can go weeks without hearing about advances in the southern front but the artillery war carries on, this was the allusion I was making with the Remarque quote.

The 50 dead per day is a result of more rapid advances around Kharkov, not the slow artillery war in Kherson.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

saratoga posted:

The 50 dead per day is a result of more rapid advances around Kharkov, not the slow artillery war in Kherson.

The article we're talking about suggests there's a lot of losses around Kherson

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

FishBulbia posted:

The mobilization of the African colonies during the world wars played a role in setting up independence movements. This will be a much faster version of that.

Part of the reason I shy away from totalitarian comparisons for Putin is that totalitarian states are great at mobilizing, Putin is an extremely effective autocrat for his ability to demobilize. "Do what you want, as long is it doesn't overly affect me" is basically the persistent popular opinion in Russia. Standing up is not worth it when you can kinda just dissociate from reality.

That makes sense. In a totalitarian state people are oppressed and subdued until something, might, snap and you end up with a revolution or civil war. In the Russian version the majority of people are indifferent? disaffected?

I've been wondering about it because there have been constant speculation of coups, uprisings, protests etc on social media first in response to the war, then to losses and defeats and then to mobilization. It just doesn't happen. Obviously what we see in Dagestan could grow and spiral but for the moment it's small scale localized events. Instead we have this sizable exodus of people that choose to leave rather than protest.

Thing is we also don't see massive pro-war rallies. There has been accounts of public employees being bussed in and paid to wave flags at rallies which, if accurate, does not suggest the presence of a popular and engaged pro-war base.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012
Jake Sullivan confirms that the direct channels of communications between Russia and the US severed at the start of war have been reestablished, which all things being equal has to count as good news

https://twitter.com/MeetThePress/status/1574050861189419009?s=20&t=r5X4d9URgi0BA5hHFt-TEA

The specific contents of these conversations are kept confidential because no one wants a game of public rhetorical one-upmanship that could escalate things
https://twitter.com/ABCPolitics/status/1574032584262418432?s=20&t=r5X4d9URgi0BA5hHFt-TEA

saratoga
Mar 5, 2001

-randbrick, 12/26/08

TheRat posted:

The article we're talking about suggests there's a lot of losses around Kherson

Yes, but those losses are small compared to the larger front. That is the point. Soldiers are killed when the front moves, much less so when it's static. The high rate of loses the last week is a reflection of the advances around karkov and the oskil, not the attritional fighting in Kherson.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

At least we had the Makhachkala video with the cop fleeing from women. :smith:

Owling Howl posted:

That makes sense. In a totalitarian state people are oppressed and subdued until something, might, snap and you end up with a revolution or civil war. In the Russian version the majority of people are indifferent? disaffected?

I've been wondering about it because there have been constant speculation of coups, uprisings, protests etc on social media first in response to the war, then to losses and defeats and then to mobilization. It just doesn't happen. Obviously what we see in Dagestan could grow and spiral but for the moment it's small scale localized events. Instead we have this sizable exodus of people that choose to leave rather than protest.

Thing is we also don't see massive pro-war rallies. There has been accounts of public employees being bussed in and paid to wave flags at rallies which, if accurate, does not suggest the presence of a popular and engaged pro-war base.

The level of civic political activity is very low, when it comes to national politics. People care quite a bit about the local stuff, but on the national level the attitudes are mostly passive, even though quite nuanced.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Owling Howl posted:

Putin's government was really good at making things shockingly normal for middle class people (the most revolutionary class). Nothing would ever be pressing enough to risk major defiance. Average day to day life would essentially be indistinguishable from any other European city. This is changing with the war, but the government has an extremely developed security apparatus and can prevent Kazakhstan or Maidan situations from developing in the first place due to the level of a monopoly of force it has. It can crush small protests non-lethally, not even requiring the more violent means that could cause more unrest/defection from security apperatus.

It is rare in modern history to have a "people" overthrow a domestic government. Three things happen, either the coercive apparatus turns against the leadership (military coup), the coercive apparatus fractures (civil war), or the coercive apparatus chooses to stay neutral, thereby taking the side of the protesters (peaceful revolution).

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/gerashchenko_en/status/1574075892472619011

saratoga
Mar 5, 2001

-randbrick, 12/26/08
https://twitter.com/DefMon3/status/1574093348796760064

Still not really clear what the situation is north of lyman. Looks like Ukraine has breached the oskil, and the Russians took heavy losses trying to hold it, but not certain how many forces they have or if they'll even commit past Lyman once it falls.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Yeah IIRC ISW last night also had these crossing. Its entirely possible (but obvious not certain) that Ukraine may be attempting a Kharkiv Offensive 2.0 here. Though apparently issues with mud is slowing it down.

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Sep 25, 2022

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Ukraine has tough choices right now. Keeping up the pressure could reap enormous dividends - pushing Russian logistics to the breaking point is probably the only way the Kherson offensive actually succeeds. But if it doesn't work they'll have expended their best units right as Russia is preparing to reinforce heavily.

A lot of the conscription wave will probably go to third-tier posts so that they can be further plundered for manpower, so not everyone showing up in Ukraine is going to be a scrub.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

FishBulbia posted:

It is rare in modern history to have a "people" overthrow a domestic government. Three things happen, either the coercive apparatus turns against the leadership (military coup), the coercive apparatus fractures (civil war), or the coercive apparatus chooses to stay neutral, thereby taking the side of the protesters (peaceful revolution).

Yeah that's my take as well. A while ago I actually asked the Milhist thread if there were any examples of a people overthrowing a government which retained full loyalty of police and military. They came up with one example: Haiti, 1804 - sort of.

Perhaps a palace coup is the most probable scenario in Russia but it's not really clear how bad things would have to get for that to happen or if they can get that bad.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
And a palace coup would likely end up with someone even less stable in charge.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

FishBulbia posted:

If support gets low enough, one of those three things will happen though. The military/security forces aren't completely separated from the people, and in general if unrest gets bad enough someone with power within that group will get the bright idea to suspend whatever government is in power.

I don't know if it will happen to Russia, but even governments can't survive with indefinite ultra-low approval ratings. In general, if approval ratings slink below something like 10%, that regime isn't long for this world.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

MegaZeroX posted:

In general, if approval ratings slink below something like 10%, that regime isn't long for this world.

In August, 67% said that the country is moving in the right direction, and 83% approved of Putin.

https://www.levada.ru/2022/08/31/odobrenie-institutov-rejtingi-politikov/

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Kim Jong-il, Jean-Bédel Bokassa and Robert Mugabe are all examples of oppressive leaders who lasted years, low approval doesn't matter if you have the security apparatus keeping a boot firmly on the peoples' necks.

saratoga
Mar 5, 2001

-randbrick, 12/26/08

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Ukraine has tough choices right now. Keeping up the pressure could reap enormous dividends - pushing Russian logistics to the breaking point is probably the only way the Kherson offensive actually succeeds. But if it doesn't work they'll have expended their best units right as Russia is preparing to reinforce heavily.

Looks like Russian lines still haven't really solidified after the route at Izyum and they're throwing in whatever is available to plug the gap. They will probably keep up pressure until the Russians reassemble a coherent defensive line, since no point in stopping while they're still in disarray. I don't know what they do next though. Eventually Russia will redeploy enough to make their advance a lot harder. They could keep up the pressure and push into into the east, or rotate to another axis thinned out by the defense along the oskil.

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

A lot of the conscription wave will probably go to third-tier posts so that they can be further plundered for manpower, so not everyone showing up in Ukraine is going to be a scrub.

I don't think mobilization is really a factor on the front for a while yet. Fighting now is about exploiting their advantage and positioning for the winter and spring.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

NASAMS, with what missiles? If they're firing off surface versions of AMRAAM, that is something that could easily nix 5th gen fighters out of the sky far better than any manpad alone.

That is a complicated machine and I look forward to seeing what's next on the menu -- has anyone confirmed Ukraine received those C-RAM batteries promised by Congress?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

cinci zoo sniper posted:

In August, 67% said that the country is moving in the right direction, and 83% approved of Putin.

I wonder what it is now :allears:

Probably nowhere near low enough to actually bring down the regime via popular dissent or even spark mass protests on the scale we see in Iran. But that's not necessarily the only way for him to go. Coup chat doesn't seem to be explicitly against the rules, so. From the Coup d'État practical handbook:

quote:

If a coup does not make use of the masses, or of warfare, what
instrument of power will enable it to seize control of the state? The short
answer is that the power will come from the state itself. The long answer
makes up the bulk of this book. The following is our formal and functional
definition of a coup:

A coup consists of the infiltration of a small but critical segment of the
state apparatus, which is then used to displace the government from its
control of the remainder.
I think that's what everyone's been hoping for the entire time though. That a small but powerful group will realize that it would be to their benefit if the whole clusterfuck ended immediately and made sure that Putin would never return from his Sochi vacation for example. This doesn't seem likely so far but perhaps if the mobilization protests grow, it could encourage some people to do it.

Chill Monster
Apr 23, 2014

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I’ve been wondering this for a while and I’m not Russian so I am talking completely out of my rear end when I write this, but

How accurate are opinion polls going to be in Russia right now? Even if the entity which is doing the polling is independent of the government, people might still be paranoid and give answers which they think won’t incriminate them in some way. We’ve recently seen people in Russia locked up for some absolutely ridiculous poo poo, so people might be obfuscating their actual opinions on the matter

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

You only have to look at the ongoing horror in Myanmar for how a government with 0 popular support can stay in power so long as the security services remain loyal.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Owling Howl posted:

Yeah that's my take as well. A while ago I actually asked the Milhist thread if there were any examples of a people overthrowing a government which retained full loyalty of police and military. They came up with one example: Haiti, 1804 - sort of.

Perhaps a palace coup is the most probable scenario in Russia but it's not really clear how bad things would have to get for that to happen or if they can get that bad.

Haven't most revolutions or overthrows needed an outside influence helping people too?

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

A Bad King posted:

surface versions of AMRAAM

Say it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SLAMRAAM

No I won't stop talking about SLAMRAAMs.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

I wonder how widespread this sort of thing is:

https://twitter.com/Rebel44CZ/status/1574135116624019456

Corruption is one hell of a thing. Nobody cares about the actual outcome of anything they ever do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Pennsylvanian posted:

Say it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SLAMRAAM

No I won't stop talking about SLAMRAAMs.

In a decade the Navy will be procuring SM-69's and we won't bat an eye, given how we just let them keep getting away with it.

edit: Standard Missiles are prefixed with RIM and I just missed it. RIM-69. hurf durf.