Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006
I would like to see more erotic robots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Jorge Bell posted:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I said come in! posted:

Is a Season 5 confirmed yet? I kinda hope it isn't, even though I like this show, it really is fine if it ends now.

It hasn't been, and it's officially the longest the show's had without renewal news (season 2 confirmed halfway into season 1, season 3 confirmed after two episodes of 2, and season 4 was confirmed a month after season 3 ended even after it was revealed the season averaged half the viewership of season 2), so my guess is it's done

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

On the one had I would like to see whatever the hell they quote unquote intended, on the other I would be pretty salty if this got renewed and raised by wolves didn’t.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jorge Bell posted:

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

The only chance this had of renewal, was a cliffhanger that made people hit twitter with a #savewestworld campaign.
It'll quietly be "not renewed" in one of those list-dumps of tedious procedurals being re-announced.

Law & Order Anchorage: renewed season 12
NCIS Wilmington: renewed season 31
Westworld: not renewed
CSI Wichita: renewed season 23

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I always get them mixed up, Don Johnson is the star of CSI Wichita but his character was introduced in NCIS Wilmington as a temporary replacement for Jan-Michael Vincent's lead, right?

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
I skipped out on season 4

Did the show get good again or was it more of season 3?

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

DamnGlitch posted:

On the one had I would like to see whatever the hell they quote unquote intended, on the other I would be pretty salty if this got renewed and raised by wolves didn’t.

The Cylons never had a plan, op.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Their plan was to gently caress with the humans.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Captain Splendid posted:

You're probably fine to not bother imo. There's one effective sequence in one episode that is genuinely quite creepy and weird but apart from that Season 4 was a pretty big nothing personally.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Collateral posted:

Their plan was to gently caress with the humans.

lol no the plan was just "kill the rest of the humans" and, turns out, they're just as dumb as the dumbass humans! :buddy:

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Captain Splendid posted:

There were fans online (and even here) saying that they thought season 4 was good as the season started. I don't know what they're talking about, since I recognized it as poo poo the whole way through. It's a very slight improvement over season 3.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

That one Battlestar Galactica movie directed by Edward James Olmos is great because there’s a scene with a bunch of nudity and he insisted that there be a zoom-in on a dude’s dick.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Lister posted:

All religion is untrue. But yeah, someone can find something to relate to in a religious text that can be meaningful to them. It would just have more meaning if it were real. The people who think it is real then allow themselves to be bound by it and all the rules and traditions that come with it.

This is actually a really lovely thing to say about people who believe.

e:

I AM GRANDO posted:

Most of the religious people I know don’t believe in supernatural things and participate in their religion because they like the ideas, community, and ritual. There is something to be said for participating in a tradition that gives you meaning and binds you to others in the face of long-lasting hostility. They are mostly not christians, I suppose, though I know quakers and methodists who are like that as well.

yeah i know there are a lot of religious people who don't believe or whatever, but to open up a post with "all religion is untrue" really rubs me the wrong way, especially as someone who is converting to a religion and does sincerely believe in a good bit of the supernatural bits

aBagorn fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Sep 24, 2022

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Most of the religious people I know don’t believe in supernatural things and participate in their religion because they like the ideas, community, and ritual. There is something to be said for participating in a tradition that gives you meaning and binds you to others in the face of long-lasting hostility. They are mostly not christians, I suppose, though I know quakers and methodists who are like that as well.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Captain Splendid posted:

I thought season 4 was good! But if you skipped it that is fine too. I don’t hold it against anyone who gave up after season 2.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I just finished watching S4 and I already don't understand what happened. Is there a tl;dr of the season? Are all the humans dead except for the refugees in the desert? what was the point of opening the door and closing it and how does that even work?

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

Elendil004 posted:

I just finished watching S4 and I already don't understand what happened. Is there a tl;dr of the season? Are all the humans dead except for the refugees in the desert? what was the point of opening the door and closing it and how does that even work?

S4 tl;dr: Hale took over the park and reopened it to capture more data on humans to make the scans faster, then used the data to make a black ooze to mind control humans. Sets humans up in cities and uses Delores to pump out crappy fanfic stories for them to follow along to as programming. Tortures Aaron Paul by sticking him the world's worst Groundhog's Day loop and kills Maeve for a while. Meanwhile, Bernard has been running Mar I/O in parallel to figure out how to stop Hale and gets magic powers to be able to see the future. 10900 iterations later, he's solved the problem of humans and hosts going extinct by setting up everything to have Man in Black-bot kill all the humans by turning on chaos mode and dies along with Maeve (again). Delores takes the red pill and sort of breaks out of the Matrix for a few minutes and gets to narrate over the end credits to try and be cryptic to get people to want season 5.

Also, Man in Black-bot calls a kid a loving camper and that was the high point of the season.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Also, no main characters are still alive other than Aaron Paul’s daughter and some proportion of her friends. Dolores is alive in the sense that she has been uploaded to the cloud. And no other humans or hosts are alive either, unless there were other areas of human resistance like that desert base.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I AM GRANDO posted:

And no other humans or hosts are alive either, unless there were other areas of human resistance like that desert base.

They state that there are, it's who Clementine was going to hunt down for unspecified reasons.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
The entire world seemed to just be America

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Collapsing Farts posted:

Don’t forget they showed us that Paris was nuked at some point, although I can’t remember any of the circumstances around it, nor any impacts that resulted from it. Or who did it. Or why.

rich thick and creamy
May 23, 2005

To whip it, Whip it good
Pillbug

Collapsing Farts posted:

Can you imagine a more dystopian future?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

although I can’t remember any of the circumstances around it, nor any impacts that resulted from it. Or who did it. Or why.

Honestly if they could keep the robot/human/AI story intriguing I don't really care if they explain any of that stuff. Humans suck and blew each other up and left the world smaller and the rich had more tech to maintain control. Great.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I thought the season was mostly good. The middle is the strongest part when it's the adventures of Caleb and Maeve. But that final episode is really not satisfying at all so just stains the whole season.

I wouldn't recommend watching if you're on the fence.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Why did Hale suicide at the end?

I would have figured she’d either build more robbits to repopulate the world or if she gave up on that idea, at least continue to live on taking care of the server farm to protect the matrix

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Because she didn't care anymore. The hosts didn't want to do her ascension thing, her big project failed. What was the point?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I finished watching it recently and I think I'd have to go back and binge the entire series to understand what was happening. I had forgotten basic stuff like that Hale is a version of Dolores.

Aertuun
Dec 18, 2012

Collapsing Farts posted:

Why did Hale suicide at the end?

My entirely speculative interpretation is that the writers knew the show wasn't going to get renewed by the time the last episode came around, and so everyone got killed off.

I've known at least two shows to do this; the second-to-last episode allows the final episode to go in at least two directions.

It was the same in this case; as mentioned by a few others the last episode was were the Major Mortalities went down.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Halloween Jack posted:

I finished watching it recently and I think I'd have to go back and binge the entire series to understand what was happening. I had forgotten basic stuff like that Hale is a version of Dolores.

I don't think understanding what is happening really adds anything viewing experience at this point.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

I recommend cuz it’ll remind you how good it started and you can then just stop after the first season

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

Yeah, the real Hale is long dead, she was killed in season 2. Replaced by Dolores, or more specifically replaced by the worst aspects and darker side of Dolores only, which ended up being a terrible combination when seperated from all of the best of Dolores. The story ends up being really tragic because Deloroes sacrifices herself literally and gives up on every part of herself to create a world where hosts can be free, and ends up getting nothing, now everyone on earth is dead.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Sep 29, 2022

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Thank you for the explanation, but...the idea that you can take a Dolores, turn down the Nice Meter, and flip on Darkside Mode is contrary to the themes of the series, isn't it?

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

I AM GRANDO posted:

That one Battlestar Galactica movie directed by Edward James Olmos is great because there’s a scene with a bunch of nudity and he insisted that there be a zoom-in on a dude’s dick.

The zoom in on the dick occurs during a sex scene with Olmos's wife's character

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

Thank you for the explanation, but...the idea that you can take a Dolores, turn down the Nice Meter, and flip on Darkside Mode is contrary to the themes of the series, isn't it?

Yes, the show changed directions completely after season 2 and became something entirely different. I didn't hate it, but it was a bit disappointing how all of the characters from season 1 and 2 turned into entirely different people.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

I mean they literally have these personality control points so it’s within the universe at least.

The themes of the series are largely intangible and unimportant in presentation, which is part of the problem.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Sort of, but they don't really work, do they? The people who build the Hosts know that their personality development is something of a black box. They can't even be sure that the Hosts are turned off when they're turned off.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

One of the things about the hosts is that their settings and emotions are alterable, but they're still real to the host. even if they know that they're a construct. Maeve knows that her "daughter" is nothing of the kind, just a smaller model of robot that she's been programmed to love, but decides that she still matters to her.

EDIT: Awakened hosts aren't really "free" from their programming, just aware of it and able to act against it. But it's still their core.

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Sep 29, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006
My cornerstone is wanting westworld to be a less stupid & meandering show