Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

It is true that China leads the world in polysilicon and solar cell production and that they are trying to build new nuclear power plants. But currently they are still very heavily dependent on coal-powered electricity. China in 2019 was 2/3rds coal powered.

The US's electricity generation mix will probably eventually become something like 1/3 solar, 1/3 wind, 1/3 natural gas, not necessarily due to US gov't and utility companies' love of the environment, but because wind and solar in recent history have become extremely economical sources of electricity. Coal-powered-electricity is dying in the US not due to again, a love of the environment, but because it is too expensive compared to the above 3 energy sources.

I think China (and to a smaller extent, the US) should be cut a little bit of slack--being major industrial countries and heavy users of electricity, they are under way more pressure to keep electricity prices low than a random European country with small, maybe more 'boutique' industrial output which could way more easily absorb higher prices for electricity.

silence_kit has a new favorite as of 13:51 on Sep 25, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

thetoughestbean posted:

Of course it isn’t, we need to move to geothermal, hydro, and solar power with nuclear as a way to help make the bridge to relying solely on them, but until that’s possible, we need to rely on fossil fuels to meet our energy needs

My point is that even the nominally communist states use fossil fuels as their primary source of power

I don't disagree but I think we're making two different arguments. I'm simply saying that the oil and gas industry has us by the balls and there's no incentive for them to stop polluting.

e: To balance out the more serious topic - Bandcamp is a better platform than Spotify. They have a fairly wide variety of music and you can support the artists directly on there.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald has a new favorite as of 19:30 on Sep 25, 2022

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
i have never been struck and injured by a car while walking. i have been struck and injured by a cyclist on the sidewalk while walking

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I feel cyclists just zoom around wherever and don’t pay any attention to cars. Even if the car is at fault you’re the one who is hurt/dead. Have fun on your death machines!

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

oldpainless posted:

I feel cyclists just zoom around wherever and don’t pay any attention to cars. Even if the car is at fault you’re the one who is hurt/dead. Have fun on your death machines!

lol at the idea that it's bikes that are "death machines" in this scenario

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

They are tho. I can run over hundreds of cyclists before my life is put at risk

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Gaius Marius posted:

They are tho. I can run over hundreds of cyclists before my life is put at risk

ok, i'm glad we're in agreement that cars are the source of danger here

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
A lot of bicyclists ride around like they have a death wish

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Muscle Tracer posted:

ok, i'm glad we're in agreement that cars are the source of danger here

Cyclist's rights end where my bumper begins

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Your windshield's rights end where my golf club begins

e: just had a great idea, has anyone ever tried car jousting?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Gripweed posted:

That makes no sense unless you define "reasonable level" as 0.

There is a non-zero level of human population that can exist while maintaining a healthy planet. I'd define that with a totally not pulled out of my rear end number of under 1 billion.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

yeah I eat rear end posted:

There is a non-zero level of human population that can exist while maintaining a healthy planet. I'd define that with a totally not pulled out of my rear end number of under 1 billion.

How did you feel when your guide stones got blown up?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Cyclists are to pedestrians as cars are to cyclists (cars are also cars to pedestrians)

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Segways don’t fit into the food chain which is why they went extinct

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

PHUO: Anyone who believes this planet is overpopulated is by necessity a eugenicist, and they should start the depopulation with themselves if their belief is so heartfelt and sincere (as opposed to edgy nihilism that went stale when they were a teenager)

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Manager Hoyden posted:

PHUO: Anyone who believes this planet is overpopulated is by necessity a eugenicist, and they should start the depopulation with themselves if their belief is so heartfelt and sincere (as opposed to edgy nihilism that went stale when they were a teenager)

If I could be assured that the world would follow through with it, sign me up. For the greater good.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Look you may find it unsavory but the science is undeniable and it says that there's only room for me and the people I like on this planet.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

That’s not what you said, you said a level at which our political decisions “wouldn’t matter”

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Gripweed posted:

That’s not what you said, you said a level at which our political decisions “wouldn’t matter”

That's what I meant. With a small enough population, it wouldn't matter if we drilled for oil or deforested areas to support our "needs" as long as we did so at a rate that is in balance with how nature replenishes itself.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

it's dumb to send nudes

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

That's what I meant. With a small enough population, it wouldn't matter if we drilled for oil or deforested areas to support our "needs" as long as we did so at a rate that is in balance with how nature replenishes itself.

The solution has been under our nose this whole time:

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

hawowanlawow posted:

it's dumb to send nudes

People in ye olde days where we had to use letters sexted so much better, it’s a lost art

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
https://twitter.com/brianthehuman/status/1574077520332619776?s=46&t=lP217sYltUbGtSgJyJwMjg

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001
That is the worst bike rack I've ever seen.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

It's cool that I have a way of transporting my mode of transport, but where will I get a giant bicycle to transport this car? And if I find such a thing, where will I find a truck large enough to travel with it? And if there's a truck big enough for that,

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I don't mind cyclists on main roads, but on narrow country roads it's really harrowing to encounter a bike and have to pass them.

e: The Vegas Strip is overrated. Just one big tourist trap. I don't even need to go see Vegas; I can get the same effect from taking my wallet and setting it on fire.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald has a new favorite as of 14:59 on Sep 26, 2022

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

docbeard posted:

Look you may find it unsavory but the science is undeniable and it says that there's only room for me and the people I like on this planet.

That's the gist of it

You want to ask these depopulation-flavored eugenicists exactly which kind of people there should be less of, exactly. And what is the mechanism for enforcement, exactly

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
It's "poor foreigners" and "genocide through negligence" I'm betting.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
and *nobody should have a kid

*except us of course when her clock starts ticking, that's not me deciding to have a kid like those irresponsible depopulates

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Bringing children into a world getting torn apart by climate change and the re-re-resurgence of fascism seems like child abuse at this point.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Bringing children into a world getting torn apart by climate change and the re-re-resurgence of fascism seems like child abuse at this point.

This is the most peaceful and secure time to be a human being in the history of the species, with some ups and downs on a short-term scale

Sorry to break it to you but the world is not ending (this sentence needed to be told to someone every year since humans gained the ability to communicate)

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Manager Hoyden posted:

This is the most peaceful and secure time to be a human being in the history of the species, with some ups and downs on a short-term scale

Sorry to break it to you but the world is not ending (this sentence needed to be told to someone every year since humans gained the ability to communicate)

I don't think it is, but if climate change gets to be as bad as climate scientists suspect, civilization, at least as it currently exists, could end. Who would want to bring kids into an environment like that?

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

silence_kit posted:

It is true that China leads the world in polysilicon and solar cell production and that they are trying to build new nuclear power plants. But currently they are still very heavily dependent on coal-powered electricity. China in 2019 was 2/3rds coal powered.

The US's electricity generation mix will probably eventually become something like 1/3 solar, 1/3 wind, 1/3 natural gas, not necessarily due to US gov't and utility companies' love of the environment, but because wind and solar in recent history have become extremely economical sources of electricity. Coal-powered-electricity is dying in the US not due to again, a love of the environment, but because it is too expensive compared to the above 3 energy sources.

I think China (and to a smaller extent, the US) should be cut a little bit of slack--being major industrial countries and heavy users of electricity, they are under way more pressure to keep electricity prices low than a random European country with small, maybe more 'boutique' industrial output which could way more easily absorb higher prices for electricity.

China also subsidizes garbage-quality solar cells so they can flood the market and push out the non-Chinese stuff that actually has a positive energy balance over the product lifetime. Go cheap enough on the solar efficiency and it costs more to make than you get out, but that price is low enough for a corrupt command economy to leap forward through like a 21st century pig-iron party

"Why did we give your cousin a contract for these cells when they're provably garbage?"

"No why."

Analytic Engine has a new favorite as of 17:01 on Sep 26, 2022

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I don't think it is, but if climate change gets to be as bad as climate scientists suspect, civilization, at least as it currently exists, could end. Who would want to bring kids into an environment like that?

What exactly do you believe is going to happen? I mean precisely. Looking at current climate trends, not catastrophic worst-case scenarios, how do you believe a human life will play out differently for someone living from 2022 to 2092 versus someone living 1992 to 2062?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Manager Hoyden posted:

This is largely dependent on where in the world you happen to be a human being. Like I wouldn’t say this to someone in Pakistan where a third of their country flooded this summer, displacing millions.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Manager Hoyden posted:

What exactly do you believe is going to happen? I mean precisely. Looking at current climate trends, not catastrophic worst-case scenarios, how do you believe a human life will play out differently for someone living from 2022 to 2092 versus someone living 1992 to 2062?

Greater flooding; record, unlivable heat; probably skirmishes over water sources. These have already been happening in the western US and in Europe, which experienced ridiculously high temperatures back over the summer. It's only going to get worse as governments continue to do as little as possible to protect the climate.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Whole lotta people think it's okay to have anxiety in here it seems.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

The world isn't going to be fixed by a bunch of old people.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Greater flooding; record, unlivable heat; probably skirmishes over water sources. These have already been happening in the western US and in Europe, which experienced ridiculously high temperatures back over the summer. It's only going to get worse as governments continue to do as little as possible to protect the climate.

The human race has lived through much, much worse

And honestly, maybe it sounds offensive, but the only ones who are going to have a tougher time than they are right this moment are vulnerable populations in less developed parts of the world. That is not to say that these people are not important or to minimize human suffering, but rather that they would be the only ones to whom refusing to have children due to climate stress would make sense. A baby born in any place they can sit around reading SA posts is going to have largely the same life your generation did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Manager Hoyden posted:

The human race has lived through much, much worse

And honestly, maybe it sounds offensive, but the only ones who are going to have a tougher time than they are right this moment are vulnerable populations in less developed parts of the world. That is not to say that these people are not important or to minimize human suffering, but rather that they would be the only ones to whom refusing to have children due to climate stress would make sense. A baby born in any place they can sit around reading SA posts is going to have largely the same life your generation did.

Yeah, I wouldn't bet the farm on any of that. Better that we try to make the world a livable place now for ourselves and our descendants than keep doing what we're doing while bringing more children into the world to suffer for our mistakes and blind spots. That's not being depressed; just correctly reading the situation for what it is.