Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
How in the gently caress did the Mass Effect: Andromeda tie in prequel books somehow pull in NK Jemisin and Catherynne Valente as authors? It's just such a weird mishmash of author quality and abandoned video game prequel novels that I still can't wrap my head around it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
The E1 episodes on YA fiction do a pretty good job of summarizing why it's awful.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Ravenfood posted:

How in the gently caress did the Mass Effect: Andromeda tie in prequel books somehow pull in NK Jemisin and Catherynne Valente as authors? It's just such a weird mishmash of author quality and abandoned video game prequel novels that I still can't wrap my head around it.

They were big Mass Effect fans! And then they had to work on Andromeda tie-ins!

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

FPyat posted:

Anyone read Viriconium? It's supposed to be a huge thing that Wolfe and Mieville were indebted to but I bounced off it quickly.

As someone that loves Wolfe, Moorcock, Vance etc I have tried to read The Pastel City twice and tapped out both times. It's just bland, pulpy in a bad way, and frankly has more in common with Lin Carter's Conan pastiches than Moorcock's psychedelia.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Sailor Viy posted:

As someone that loves Wolfe, Moorcock, Vance etc I have tried to read The Pastel City twice and tapped out both times. It's just bland, pulpy in a bad way, and frankly has more in common with Lin Carter's Conan pastiches than Moorcock's psychedelia.
Skip to A Storm of Wings.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

thotsky posted:

The E1 episodes on YA fiction do a pretty good job of summarizing why it's awful.

Look, people getting bit by a dog and dying is certainly an overused trope but it's not reasonable to hold it against the entire genre

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
There's also the adults perving on teenagers and endless Harry Potter ripoff bits.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

I feel like Locked Tomb is too loving confusing to be YA.

Also too many swears. And very vivid depictions of gore. I guess I don't know what YA is anymore.

Sinatrapod
Sep 24, 2007

The "Latin" is too dangerous, my queen!

A Proper Uppercut posted:

I feel like Locked Tomb is too loving confusing to be YA.

Also too many swears. And very vivid depictions of gore. I guess I don't know what YA is anymore.

I can kinda see how you could apply YA to Gideon if you were of a mind, it's got a decent amount of YA tropes. Trying to apply the label to the second and third books is a pretty heroic stretch, though.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Wolf Hall is YA. :colbert:

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Childhood's End is majorly YA

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kazzah posted:

Childhood's End is majorly YA

i liked it about as much as most YA books so this tracks

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
the ya baru cormorant

she does start by being picked out for her gifts and attending a special school

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

It feels like there's at least three different definitions of "YA" floating around this thread:

(1) Books aimed at teens in general.
(2) Books specifically marketed as "young adult".
(3) Books engaging in a specific set of tropes popularized by Harry Potter and/or The Hunger Games, whether or not they're in categories 1 or 2 and regardless of what the expected age of the reader is.

The Sweet Hereafter
Jan 11, 2010

ToxicFrog posted:

It feels like there's at least three different definitions of "YA" floating around this thread:

(1) Books aimed at teens in general.
(2) Books specifically marketed as "young adult".
(3) Books engaging in a specific set of tropes popularized by Harry Potter and/or The Hunger Games, whether or not they're in categories 1 or 2 and regardless of what the expected age of the reader is.

(4) Wolf Hall

a computing pun
Jan 1, 2013
I liked the YA books 'Chaos Walking' by Patrick Ness. I think they are the specific best example of a series that fits squarely in the YA category, even fits squarely in its modern form of 'a niche horribly warped by the perverse incentives created by a publishing industry that desperately wants safely packaged recreations of previous lightning-in-a-bottle hits ', while also being good and not bad?

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
When does it go from children's lit to YA?

a computing pun
Jan 1, 2013

Zurtilik posted:

the boundary between children's lit and YA is: in YA the characters are allowed to die messily.
the boundary between YA and adult is: in adult fiction the characters are allowed to say "gently caress" more than once per book, and to say "titties" without using a weirdass fantasy substitute word like "glorgs".

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Zurtilik posted:

Twitter thunderdome?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

a computing pun posted:

the boundary between children's lit and YA is: in YA the characters are allowed to die messily.
the boundary between YA and adult is: in adult fiction the characters are allowed to say "gently caress" more than once per book, and to say "titties" without using a weirdass fantasy substitute word like "glorgs".

Narnia is YA?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Gaius Marius posted:

Narnia is YA?
Yes, it's bad.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Narnia good

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Narni-ya

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

The Master and Margaritya

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Bits of Narnia good.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
the deplorable wordfilter is censorship

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

War & Peace is YA.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

There's gotta be one of those 3x3 charts for this

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I associate YA with a simple sentence structure and limited vocabulary, so eg Blake Crouch seems like YA to me.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

General Battuta posted:

The Master and Margaritya

Dhyalgren.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

silvergoose posted:

There's gotta be one of those 3x3 charts for this

Content scale and reading level scale.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

habeasdorkus posted:

War & Peace is YA.

Wyar and Pyace

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
Gryadon Saunders

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

The second and third Commonweal books absolutely fit the "YA is when these things are present" standard.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
tbh half the time when someone calls something YA without directly pointing to a shelf at a bookstore, they just mean a woman wrote it and they don't like it

it's a useful marketing category but the only information it conveys is "can I give this to a high schooler"

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Two books in the Age of Madness series by Joe Abercrombie
The Trouble with Peace (#2) - $4.99 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0847KH373/
The Wisdom of Crowds (#3) - $4.99 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08RYR6XY2/

Inhibitor Phase (Revelation Space) by Alistair Reynolds - $4.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08HLQV5ZG/

Season of Storms (Witcher #6) by Andrzej Sapkowski - $4.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075CT6XHW/

First two Codex Alera books by Jim Butcher
Furies of Calderon (#1) - $1.99 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001DISRBC/
Academ's Fury (#2) - $2.99 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001L10YA8/

The Burning White (Lightbringer #5) by Brent Weeks - $4.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07L2VT8QB/

Thin Air by Richard Morgan - $4.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0738K33YC/

Tezer
Jul 9, 2001

neongrey posted:

it's a useful marketing category but the only information it conveys is "can I give this to a high schooler"

what books are high school students not allowed to have

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
ask their mom but usually it's based on how explicit the sex can be

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?
Didn’t stop my jr. high library from having a copy of Bio of a Space Tyrant

Reading Piers Anthony’s chapter 1 gang rape scene featuring language like “purple-headed warrior” at 11 years old made me stop reading Piers Anthony forever right then and there, which is an overall positive though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Is there any author more retroactively horrifying than piers Anthony