Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
So far Andor could be any sci fi evil empire vs rebels story and that's good. Do we think the producers learned from ObiWan's issues?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

The Modern Leper posted:

Oh, perhaps. I noted it more to distinguish from what appears to be a non-rated version of Nymphomaniac.

I think it might be the same cut, but after the ratings committee gave it an NC-17 von Trier decided to release it as unrated because it changes restrictions on promotion and marketing or something. Now, there are apparently two cuts, though: one that's around four hours total and one that's closer to five, with the latter being more explicit.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Keyser_Soze posted:

So far Andor could be any sci fi evil empire vs rebels story and that's good. Do we think the producers learned from ObiWan's issues?

Not likely, it was probably in the can before Obi Wan aired.

mystes
May 31, 2006

If it's good enough the execs will step in to gently caress it up anyway

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

LFL created both Book of Boba Fett AND Obi-Wan in the production timespan that Andor was created in. Andor filmed for like 2 years and was being cooked up for 4 years. Any lessons learned here will need to be applied to something new like Acolyte or Skeleton Crew. Hopefully they put more care into those than the extremely rushed and poorly written BOBF and Obi-wan.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Confess, Fletch (VOD) is the most minor of movies, but it's tremendously reassuring to know that Jon Hamm will be ready to play Frank Drebin in 10 years.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

that, and Obi-Wan is inexplicably well-reviewed and liked. I think it's just that the people who don't like it REALLY don't like it.

magiccarpet posted:

Reboot has a tempo kind of like Arrested Development. Worth a watch.

I also enjoyed the first episodes. It's very Steven Levitan (Modern Family) without the talking head / 4th wall break thing and has a great cast. Plus it's not network TV so you've got F bombs and topless Judy Greer.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Don't hug me I'm scared new season is out and it is as amazing as it always was

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Chris James 2 posted:

edit:

Invisible Man, Her Smell, Us, Shirley, Mad Men, at least the first two seasons of Handmaid's Tale

I still need to see Queen of Earth and The One I Love, those have been on my list forever

The One I Love owns

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Andor is fantastic, just completely stacked with talented actors working their asses off. No cloying nods to the fandom, just a grounded story so far through 3 episodes. I liked Mandalorian, Boba Fett sucked and couldn't make it through 2 episodes of ObiWan for the record.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Thinking about giving up on Rings of Power for now, unless I absolutely have nothing else to watch. I'm just really struggling to get through these episodes, out of boredom.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Rings of Power was marketed as a companion piece to the Peter Jackson movies, and on that criterion it's a dismal failure. It also doesn't quite manage the level of "watchable show" either. However, if you're judging it on the basis of whether Ar-Pharazon is in it, then it's a wild success.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Counterpoint, it's a tremendous show for your wife to watch while you're listening to podcasts/audiobooks and doing chores in the evening because it looks pretty whenever you glance over and triggers zero feelings of missing out.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
It has way too many boring characters and locations. The whole bit in Numenor has been weak even if the CGI for the city is good.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Finished Cyberpunk Edgerunners last night. Show was pretty wild. I was never a fan of Studio Trigger's anime art style, but it suits Cyberpunk 2077's visual language really, really well. Story and characters are cool; reminded me a bit of Blomkamp's District 9 at times with its fair bit of cyberaugmenting body horror stuff, hyper violence, and one of the plot threads is pretty similar. If you're averse to anime you probably won't like it since it leans heavy into a bunch of anime tropes, but if you're a fan of animation in general and other cyberpunk works like like Ghost in the Shell or Blade Runner, I'd say the show is absolutely worth a watch.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Yeah I was commenting to my wife last night that we're 5 hours into The Rings of Power and almost nothing has happened, meanwhile at 5 hours into the movies you'd have gone through the entire Fellowship and onto the Two Towers.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Class Warcraft posted:

Yeah I was commenting to my wife last night that we're 5 hours into The Rings of Power and almost nothing has happened, meanwhile at 5 hours into the movies you'd have gone through the entire Fellowship and onto the Two Towers.
That would only be like 1% into the extended version of Fellowship

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Rings of Power is ok so far. All the Numenor stuff is painfully boring though.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I’m actually so far okay with the slow pace because dear Lord it’s been a while since we had a fantasy anything that looked this nice.

Also on that note Morfydd Clark.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
House of the dragon is way better than Rings of power. That said I'm going to continue watching both.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I'm fine with the pace of LotR but the whole Numenor plot just feels like a GoT knockoff.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

mcmagic posted:

House of the dragon is way better than Rings of power. That said I'm going to continue watching both.

I'm enjoying both, and will continue to watch both, but I am genuinely surprised at how much I'm enjoying HotD.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Do any Canada goons know if there’s a way to stream Better Call Saul season 6 up here? It doesn’t seem to be on amc plus or Netflix.

I hope the only option isn’t :filez: because it’s such a pain to actually watch them on my tv.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
For whatever reason I had missed Blue Ruin and it's on Prime now. What an incredible film. I'm going to be thinking about it for a few days for sure.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

House of the Dragon is pretty solid so far, but in contrast to Rings of Power it moves at a very brisk pace, bordering on feeling rushed. Major plot points are introduced only to be resolved in the very same episode, where the original Game of Thrones would've kept something like that going as a subplot for several episodes if not an entire season.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Perestroika posted:

House of the Dragon is pretty solid so far, but in contrast to Rings of Power it moves at a very brisk pace, bordering on feeling rushed. Major plot points are introduced only to be resolved in the very same episode, where the original Game of Thrones would've kept something like that going as a subplot for several episodes if not an entire season.

That's because everything we're seeing is more of a prelude to the main event. They're showing why the Dance of Dragons happens, and why people choose which sides they choose. Once the Dance happens, there won't be any more time jumps. I think they're doing a pretty good job so far covering a time period of about 30 years during this first season.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
finally watched See How They Run and man that was heckin dope, like Knives Out but even better

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Edgerunners has no right being as good as it is. Fast. Brief. Devastating.

Now I feel like blowing 90 hours of my life on a stapled together game -- That's how you do advertising.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It’s like the only anime I’ve watched in 20 years besides Cowboy Bebop

It’s good

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Edgerunners has no right being as good as it is. Fast. Brief. Devastating.

Now I feel like blowing 90 hours of my life on a stapled together game -- That's how you do advertising.

Believe it or not, the game's good. It suffered from a lot of bugs at launch, but mostly on consoles. I played on my PC and encountered very few during my time playing it. It doesn't live up to the expectations after Witcher 3, but now that they've ironed everything out, I wouldn't call it stapled together anymore. Since the launch of the show, apparently the game has the highest number of people playing it that it's ever had.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I feel like the anime raised my expecations too high and I'm gonna be disappointed in the game. Still, the anime did its job and got me interested in grabbing CP2077 at least. I'll wait till BF though, I'm sure it'll have a steep discount for PC around then.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Nihonniboku posted:

Believe it or not, the game's good. It suffered from a lot of bugs at launch, but mostly on consoles. I played on my PC and encountered very few during my time playing it. It doesn't live up to the expectations after Witcher 3, but now that they've ironed everything out, I wouldn't call it stapled together anymore. Since the launch of the show, apparently the game has the highest number of people playing it that it's ever had.

I've got a PS5 and it looks like it won't be too bad as long as I'm in performance mode.

Ugh might pull the trigger now though instead of waiting another half a year for the dlc.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Ugh might pull the trigger now though instead of waiting another half a year for the dlc.

That's the issue I'm having. I beat the game a couple months after launch and haven't played since. At some point they rebalanced the game, and reset all of the traits and perks. I went into the game last week to see what was the new content they added related to the show, and it's been so long that I don't know where to allocate my trait points. I don't know if I should start over again now, or wait until the DLC comes out next year.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Cyberpunk 2077 is in reasonably good shape and is in no way stapled together or messed up at this point. They really did beat that thing into shape after being forced to release it early.

I had a few open world glitches and poo poo but it was the same kind of stuff I had in GTA 5. The real problem I had with it was that I just didn't like the car handling and some of the art direction. Everything else was <some Cyperpunk word for "good">. That is, if you like Bioware/CDPR style RPGs. It's very much a poorly-balanced action game if you go at it from that angle.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

There are three different starting backgrounds, so you could play the second now and the third for dlc playthrough if you wanna get crazy.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Enos Cabell posted:

There are three different starting backgrounds, so you could play the second now and the third for dlc playthrough if you wanna get crazy.

That's a good idea. I did the nomad play through the first time and got the best ending.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Nihonniboku posted:

That's the issue I'm having. I beat the game a couple months after launch and haven't played since. At some point they rebalanced the game, and reset all of the traits and perks. I went into the game last week to see what was the new content they added related to the show, and it's been so long that I don't know where to allocate my trait points. I don't know if I should start over again now, or wait until the DLC comes out next year.

My save was from a few months after release and I tried to pick it up but I felt super underpowered. Decided it was easier to just start over.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
Holy poo poo the Escape from Kabul documentary is grim. My heart breaks for the children stuck outside that gate for days on end. I also sympathize with the lose-lose situation for the marines.

Wish the documentary had focused more on the policy, intelligence, and leadership blunders that led to such a botched evacuation but I definitely think this film succeeds in showing the American public the hell that the civilians and marines went through.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

teagone posted:

Finished Cyberpunk Edgerunners last night. Show was pretty wild. I was never a fan of Studio Trigger's anime art style, but it suits Cyberpunk 2077's visual language really, really well. Story and characters are cool; reminded me a bit of Blomkamp's District 9 at times with its fair bit of cyberaugmenting body horror stuff, hyper violence, and one of the plot threads is pretty similar. If you're averse to anime you probably won't like it since it leans heavy into a bunch of anime tropes, but if you're a fan of animation in general and other cyberpunk works like like Ghost in the Shell or Blade Runner, I'd say the show is absolutely worth a watch.

I think the show wasn't as imaginative as it could be and was def stuck in a retro take on futurism, down to the 80s like exploitation of female nudity, but I thought the short number of eps and how decisively it dealt with its various characters, aping a noir like mindset, was pretty cool, esp for anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

It’s like the only anime I’ve watched in 20 years besides Cowboy Bebop

It’s good

You can do better