Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Sanatogen tonic wine still has the very thinnest layer of *if I squint really hard* distantly plausible deniability, but did you know that Buckfast is also a tonic wine?

For those who have never heard of it, Buckfast is tonic wine made by monks and its major ingredient after a shitload of alcohol is caffeine, so it is SUPER popular with crazy street drunks.
I used to know a guy from Northern Ireland who, when sober, had a really mild manner and accent. After a bottle of bucky, he was a wildman with the densest nordie accent :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
daddy needs his medicine.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

"two [?] teaspoons every 3 hours"

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Legit the only time I've ever tried whiskey was for medicinal purposes. I was coming down with a gunky sore throat and someone told me JD would clear it out. It did not.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Pookah posted:

Buckfast

there's a comic about Scottish wizards currently being posted in the comics thread you might enjoy. someone cooks eggs in Buckfast...

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Empty Sandwich posted:

there's a comic about Scottish wizards currently being posted in the comics thread you might enjoy. someone cooks eggs in Buckfast...

I'll check it out for sure. Bucky jokes are rare enough in the wild.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Captain Hygiene posted:

Legit the only time I've ever tried whiskey was for medicinal purposes. I was coming down with a gunky sore throat and someone told me JD would clear it out. It did not.

But did you feel better after you gargled and spat the aftertaste of that awful thing?

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Captain Hygiene posted:

I've always thought whiskey tastes like some kind of fuel that no-one ought to be consuming but that was Irish standard blended whiskeys.
I tried a few single malts recently, and while they were not my absolute cup of tea, they were a lot less aggressive.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Iron Crowned posted:

I guess I'll have to star drinking tequila with a soup spoon!

Tijuana Dimetapp

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Pookah posted:

I'll check it out for sure. Bucky jokes are rare enough in the wild.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3794989&pagenumber=4&perpage=40&userid=202427#post526445578

that's the Bucky post but the rest of the comic is charming (despite/bc of the hideous art)

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

That's so weird, because the early half is very Scots, and the latter is very not; the latter tone is, to my not very expert eye, very not accurately Scottish at all.
I'm no Scot, but Ive spent plenty of time in the company of highland Scots and they are not quiet about being loving Scottish.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

uber_stoat posted:

daddy needs his medicine.

ngl I think MDs/Pharmacists/Drug Makers have all been profiting on recreational drug use for a very long time.

Beardcrumb
Sep 24, 2018

An absolute gronk with a face like a chewed mango.

quote:

Also available, Sanatogen Tonic Wine 'with added iron' which retains the delightful taste of the original product.

:psyduck:

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Ladies after giving birth sometimes need iron supplements, this is aimed at those who will claim they have this wine for medicinal purposes.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Pookah posted:

Some long-deceased relative of my father's took to her bed in late middle-age and basically stayed there for the rest of her life.
Nothing diagnosed, but she was very fond of tonic wine, but purely for medicinal reasons.
The rule is: It's medicine if you drink it from a soup spoon, it's booze if you drink it from a glass!

Holy poo poo, you can still get it https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/255247732

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i just chugged an entire bottle. i feel like i could fly! up to the roof i go!

edit: going down a bit of a tonic wine rabbit hole here. this one probably makes your eyes glow or maybe your skeleton.

vigorton :getin:

uber_stoat has a new favorite as of 23:03 on Sep 25, 2022

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

uber_stoat posted:

i just chugged an entire bottle. i feel like i could fly! up to the roof i go!

edit: going down a bit of a tonic wine rabbit hole here. this one probably makes your eyes glow or maybe your skeleton.

vigorton :getin:

Going by the label it seems to give you Predator-style thermal scan vision.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Captain Hygiene posted:

When I was a kid and had pneumonia my mom used to give me whiskey mixed with honey for my cough. I think that she just ran out of Nyquil and didn't want to go to the store.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

https://twitter.com/inthesedeserts/status/1573264383274373123

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I'm not gonna go hard against it, a bit of dark chocolate can be good in chili and I imagine coffee would do something similar. I could see that extending to tomato based pasta sauce more generally, I dunno if it's bolognese in the end though.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Spag bol is the worst phrase

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Brawnfire posted:

Spag bol is the worst phrase
:hai:

Our first encounter with the phrase was on a bag of spag bol potato chips in NZ, the mere sight of which sent our teen into uncontrollable fits of jetlagged laughter.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
In Australia they call it Spagi Bolo

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Captain Hygiene posted:

I'm not gonna go hard against it, a bit of dark chocolate can be good in chili and I imagine coffee would do something similar. I could see that extending to tomato based pasta sauce more generally, I dunno if it's bolognese in the end though.

Yeah strong brewed coffee is a trick to add some depth of flavor to a dish if you don’t have time to go low and slow or don’t take the time to develop some flavor through browning when starting it out. It doesn’t make the dish taste like coffee, but it does help bring a little balance to something that would otherwise be very umami-heavy and one-note.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Spag Bol sounds like a slur.

For what marginalized group? Couldn’t tell you. But it’s got that vibe where you can imagine someone screaming it at you out of a car.

E: lmao guess what my partner is making. Slurs for dinner. You all did this.

teen witch has a new favorite as of 09:37 on Sep 26, 2022

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Spaghetti-Bolshevism

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Ninurta posted:

When I was a kid and had pneumonia my mom used to give me whiskey mixed with honey for my cough. I think that she just ran out of Nyquil and didn't want to go to the store.
It's sweet so you'll drink it, and it's alcohol so you'll go to sleep.

Just a simpler version of nyquil, really

One Weird Home Remedy, the Makers of NyQuil Hate It!

stringless has a new favorite as of 09:45 on Sep 26, 2022

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Mymla posted:

Spaghetti-Bolshevism

This is absolutely what my brain does everytime.

It's impastabowl to avoid.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pookah posted:

I've always thought whiskey tastes like some kind of fuel that no-one ought to be consuming but that was Irish standard blended whiskeys.
I tried a few single malts recently, and while they were not my absolute cup of tea, they were a lot less aggressive.

I don't like whisk/ey but I once tried laphroig and I would describe the experience as being like eating out a particularly foisty bog mummy.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Freaquency posted:

Yeah strong brewed coffee is a trick to add some depth of flavor to a dish if you don’t have time to go low and slow or don’t take the time to develop some flavor through browning when starting it out. It doesn’t make the dish taste like coffee, but it does help bring a little balance to something that would otherwise be very umami-heavy and one-note.

Just make sure your spag bol develops proper crema as you pull it through the espresso machine

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

OwlFancier posted:

I don't like whisk/ey but I once tried laphroig and I would describe the experience as being like eating out a particularly foisty bog mummy.

Pro drink enjoyers always drink Laphrog with ice and Coke. Takes the edge of the harsh flavors!

Grab Im Moor
Apr 4, 2022

My late great aunt used to put coffee grounds into her goulash. It was black as tar and really rich, hella good :yum: I don't do it myself but I like to use dark chocolate/cocoa sometimes.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Adding small amounts of chocolate or coffee to savoury dishes sounds strange, but it isn't much more crazy then adding salt to sweet dishes.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Coffee or chocolate goes great in Japanese curry.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

hallo spacedog posted:

Coffee or chocolate goes great in Japanese curry.

:yeah:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
The secret ingredient to Skyline Chili is cocoa powder.

You want to make it from scratch, buying it from actual Skyline, is nowhere near as good

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I tried adding a touch of cinnamon to a batch of chili the last time I made it, like maybe 1/4 teaspoon in the whole batch and I won’t be doing it again.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

axolotl farmer posted:

Pro drink enjoyers always drink Laphrog with ice and Coke. Takes the edge of the harsh flavors!

I could just do that with kaluha/tia maria though and get two things that I like.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Laphroaig is designed to be as peaty as possible and should never be anyone’s first introduction to scotch or whisky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007