Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Rockman Reserve posted:

Is Burncycle good? Talk me out of it, it looks cool.

It's really expensive, has a pile of rules and doesn't manage to deliver a top tier game play that would justify the cost and complexity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Rockman Reserve posted:

Is Burncycle good? Talk me out of it, it looks cool.

I watched several videos about it when the original campaign was going on, and it just seemed like several weird disconnected systems thrown together. I wanted to like it, but it never really grabbed me when I watched gameplay of it so I didn't end up backing it. Also it's hella expensive.

Mouzer
May 9, 2006
Feed the fish!

Big same for me. I wanted to jump on the latest campaign, but after teaching and playing a run on TTS I couldn't justify the cost. It's just too many systems on systems

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I don't want to play In A Pickle.

Just wanna play Burncycle.

And I don't want to play Tac-Tickle.

I'd rather play Burncycle.

And I don't want a die.

Just wanna play Burncy

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
cle.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I like Burncycle. It’s like Invisible Inc the game. The systems seem disconnected but they really work fine together and create some interconnected turn planning between the IRL and the Burncycle and Pings.

Also, like all CTG games, the experience playing is a different feel than watching videos or tabletop simulator or whatever. Component quality is unmatched and has better tactility than like Too Many Bones even.

Though, it’s probably not a good value for a game, if you buy games based on cost-benefit analysis or equally spreadsheetian metrics.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Sep 25, 2022

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Eh, honestly I've bought dumber things at that price point and I was looking for something big and stupid as kind of a personal celebration thing anyway, I ended up grabbing it because the components looked incredible and the theme was neat.

FirstAidKite posted:

I don't want to play In A Pickle.

Just wanna play Burncycle.

And I don't want to play Tac-Tickle.

I'd rather play Burncycle.

And I don't want a die.

Just wanna play Burncy

read this to the tune of Gene's "I'm not afraid of ghosts" song from Bob's Burgers even though the syllables were way off

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Rockman Reserve posted:

read this to the tune of Gene's "I'm not afraid of ghosts" song from Bob's Burgers even though the syllables were way off

Different song

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Rockman Reserve posted:

Eh, honestly I've bought dumber things at that price point and I was looking for something big and stupid as kind of a personal celebration thing anyway, I ended up grabbing it because the components looked incredible and the theme was neat.

Components are superb, they have a new finishing process for the chips that makes them more matte and metallic than the finish in Too Many Bones. BrassMags are too, but they’re like $70 more or something.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Not a Children posted:

Hello thread! I'm on the hunt for new co-op games. My group has gone through the typical gamut of cooperative games and we're looking for more.

Others have mentioned the Arkham Horror LCG but I figured I'd plug the thread I made for it here if you haven't seen it. I wrote a brief overview of how the game works and I put lots of card images into it because pictures are cool, but you can also find a heap of Youtubes of the game to get a feel for how it works too.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

PRADA SLUT posted:

I like Burncycle. It’s like Invisible Inc the game. The systems seem disconnected but they really work fine together and create some interconnected turn planning between the IRL and the Burncycle and Pings.

Also, like all CTG games, the experience playing is a different feel than watching videos or tabletop simulator or whatever. Component quality is unmatched and has better tactility than like Too Many Bones even.

Though, it’s probably not a good value for a game, if you buy games based on cost-benefit analysis or equally spreadsheetian metrics.

The components etc are good the deal breaker with Burncycle is the lack of scenario building mechanics. So you set up for a game and it's a complete blow out one way or the other. If they had put more effort into scenario design so you were guaranteed a good game then it would be different.

Maybe there are 3rd preset scenarios which do this, I don't know how many blanaced combinations there are.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Update: Roll Camera was really good

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Played Block and Key the other day as it arrived from KS. Its pretty good I think for a light game. There's a 4 side board, the game goes up to 4 players, and you each sit on one side. You're then pulling these 3d tetris blocks out and placing them on the playing surface so they make patterns on the 2d plane facing you.

It's low interaction but as you're placing into a common playing area there are always unintended consequences.

For a light game it's nice and pretty short, the blocks are pretty heavy and feel really nice. The box is also the playing board which is neat.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
I got this but haven't played it yet. I might dark wash the seams in the blocks though. For as much discussion along the fulfillment timeline as there was about the block quality, the glued seams are an eyesore. (At least a simple wash should hide that though.)

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I've been playing some of the EU board game, the new one, the board game of the computer game of the board game, and it's pretty good.

I will say this- the stuff where they say you can play as any realm is kinda just ad copy because this game really isn't about the OPM experience.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

armorer posted:

I got this but haven't played it yet. I might dark wash the seams in the blocks though. For as much discussion along the fulfillment timeline as there was about the block quality, the glued seams are an eyesore. (At least a simple wash should hide that though.)

I don't mind them personally but I do think over time the blocks will wear and chip so I'll need to see what it's like over time.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Aramoro posted:

The components etc are good the deal breaker with Burncycle is the lack of scenario building mechanics. So you set up for a game and it's a complete blow out one way or the other. If they had put more effort into scenario design so you were guaranteed a good game then it would be different.

Maybe there are 3rd preset scenarios which do this, I don't know how many blanaced combinations there are.

I agree with this. Some scenarios are way easier/harder with the right robots.

However, I still had a good experience even while completely rolling the corporation, so I don’t rate that down too heavily.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

ESPN did a segment this morning on the Buffalo Bills and Catan.

we've gone even more mainstream!

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Llyranor posted:

You're in luck, it's available for purchase on Steam.

Double luck: It's also available on GOG (https://www.gog.com/en/game/gloomhaven)

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Fate Accomplice posted:

ESPN did a segment this morning on the Buffalo Bills and Catan.

we've gone even more mainstream!

That’s an old trend. Some NFL/MLB teams banned it like 5-6 years ago because the players were getting addicted and doing nothing but play Catan all the time. I assume they were gambling.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Any thread opinions on Dead Reckoning? I am perpetually in search of a good, flavorful seafaring board game.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Bottom Liner posted:

That’s an old trend. Some NFL/MLB teams banned it like 5-6 years ago because the players were getting addicted and doing nothing but play Catan all the time. I assume they were gambling.

Yeah Andrew Luck apparently played the poo poo out of it, which should show how long ago that was since he died retired in 2019.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

there's a marked difference between articles about Bhaktiari and Luck enjoying board games and a sit down interview with the odds-on NFL MVP frontrunner / one of the league's most popular players gushing about and showing video of Catan on ESPN's pregame show.

I thought it was neat and worth sharing; thank you for correcting me!

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

I mean, Asmodee (who now owns Catan) was bought by / sold to Embracer Group, so it may well have been the PE firm trying to increase the value of its investments by increasing its profile as well. That's the way of brand management these days.

Also, I think hobbyist gamers are coming back around on Catan in some ways. A few years ago, to suggest playing Catan to entrenched groups would have been like earnestly suggesting Tornado Rex. I've got no data on this but I get the feeling that is softening, possibly in one of those 25-year waves of nostalgia. And I am sure there are a fairly large number of people who still just play Catan, like groups who only play Bridge or whatever, and are perfectly happy.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Yeah, I know a few random people - family, co-workers - who did the Catan cycle ("wow so neat", "wow so neat except politics at the end", "huh actually this whole game is samey and frustrating", "maybe expansions/house-rules fix it?", "I promise I will never play Catan again") post Covid.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Had some store credit from trading in the last of my old MTG cards so I decided to pick up Unfathomable and I tried it out with a 5-player group on the weekend. The group wasn't accustomed to heavy board games (is it heavy?) but I did introduce them to Eldritch Horror a while ago and they liked it so I figured this one would be fine. It went down really well, with only a couple of rules snags.

The first was that we decided on the fly to make the Deep Ones move back out onto the deck before invading a new interior space instead of just going directly, because the board had those arrow markers for their other movement and it seemed kind of crazy if they could just spread out very quickly and break the whole ship (I know now that this was incorrect). And I also hit a speed bump for a few minutes when I couldn't find any definition in the guide or reference book about how to "risk" fuel/food/souls, and then I realized it was on the reference sheet that contained the room actions.

And the final rules question we had was whether or not Ishmael Marsh could tell everyone if someone was a hybrid after using his feat to look at their loyalty cards. We decided the player couldn't just outright say it, but it makes more sense for them to be able to because of the whole accusation mini-game thing (like, the player could also lie about what they learned if it suited them).

As I was playing I kept thinking about how I'd read other trip reports in this thread and the consensus seemed to be that it's very difficult for the humans to win, and while the humans in my own game didn't really come close, it wasn't by an enormous margin or anything. It did feel like the humans needed to have a much better grip on how the game works (or at least a more comprehensive mental map of the game state at any point) than the hybrids in order to make progress though; it felt like the humans just needed to do more "work" at any point, which is perhaps how it should be given the nature of the game and the fact that there are more human players at any point.

Overall, I give it a big thumbs up, and I'm kind of surprised that there hasn't been an expansion announcement yet since FFG generally churn them out pretty quickly.

million dollar mack
Aug 20, 2006
Larson ain't getting this cow.
My Food Chain Magnate reprint copy
arrived yesterday. I am very excited, but now I have to work out which gaming group this will work best with.

Whichever is the more cutthroat, I think?

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Played my first Modern Art. I absolutely bodied my two opponents (also first timers) who couldn't break $150 (can't remember exactly) while I ended with like $600. This lead to some feels bad from one opponent who accused me of fumbling the banking role? [To be fair my strategy looked way different than theirs, in the first two rounds they had collectively bought far more paintings than I did, I had like two or three per round. I just drove up bids on stuff and got them to chase, pulling bids as high as $100 and $200 rather than rely on selling to the bank as heavily as they did. I played them more than the board/bank while they hyperfocused on the end of the round.] I won't play with them again til November but it's funny that one of them just loves auction games (newly discovered) while the other doesn't like losing to a score only shown on that end. Is that irreconcilable? Doesn't really matter just curious.

The game is really fun and I definitely recommend it. But we ran into one immediate thing we kind of didn't like, which is that ties go to the left. So the cards do have inherent value beyond what's in your hand and what you think is pretty which is... I'm not sure if it's good or bad. I don't know, I like getting into character and I'd rather things lean more towards subjectivity.

Perry Mason Jar fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Sep 26, 2022

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Ties go to the left is balanced by the fact that the suits furthest to the left also have fewer cards.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
For the parents in the thread: my kid and I have been loving Zombie Teenz. If only Rob Daviau had played this before making Seafall. This is legacy done right.

It's a painfully simple game. My son is six (reasonably smart, reads at 3rd, likes boardgames like Forbidden [Island/Desert/Skies], Dragonwood/Dragonrealm, King/Queendomino, Draftosaurus), and this is on the simpler end for him ruleswise. The game has a fair amount of luck, but it does present interesting choices.

The legacy mechanics are spot on. The zombies get more powerful, you get a dog, you get cool powers like jet packs and dynamite fireworks. All around rock solid simple game, very fast, quick set up. If you've got some younger ones (I'd say 6 - 12), this is a fantastic value for the price. I think I've played this 20 times in the last two weeks with my kid.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Played my first Modern Art. I absolutely bodied my two opponents (also first timers) who couldn't break $150 (can't remember exactly) while I ended with like $600. This lead to some feels bad from one opponent who accused me of fumbling the banking role? [To be fair my strategy looked way different than theirs, in the first two rounds they had collectively bought far more paintings than I did, I had like two or three per round. I just drove up bids on stuff and got them to chase, pulling bids as high as $100 and $200 rather than rely on selling to the bank as heavily as they did. I played them more than the board/bank while they hyperfocused on the end of the round.] I won't play with them again til November but it's funny that one of them just loves auction games (newly discovered) while the other doesn't like losing to a score only shown on that end. Is that irreconcilable? Doesn't really matter just curious.

The game is really fun and I definitely recommend it. But we ran into one immediate thing we kind of didn't like, which is that ties go to the left. So the cards do have inherent value beyond what's in your hand and what you think is pretty which is... I'm not sure if it's good or bad. I don't know, I like getting into character and I'd rather things lean more towards subjectivity.

I love Modern Art but I've had basically this exact experience with it. Players don't remember that they pay to the player selling a card, and chase five point payouts while the person who's selling cards is making 5x that. I think a table that fully understood the game would try for way higher profit margins. But we all enjoyed it a lot even in a janky table, one of the players basically chased whatever art they liked the most Lol

Anyway I actually like the ties go to the left feature, the card counts are balanced around it and makes each artist feel unique in a numbers way. And yeah, there can be only one that gets to 5 so it isn't like game defining.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

You can absolutely run the table by selling big and never buying with inexperienced players. One or two of them usually catch on too late.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

an actual dog posted:

I love Modern Art but I've had basically this exact experience with it. Players don't remember that they pay to the player selling a card, and chase five point payouts while the person who's selling cards is making 5x that. I think a table that fully understood the game would try for way higher profit margins. But we all enjoyed it a lot even in a janky table, one of the players basically chased whatever art they liked the most Lol

Anyway I actually like the ties go to the left feature, the card counts are balanced around it and makes each artist feel unique in a numbers way. And yeah, there can be only one that gets to 5 so it isn't like game defining.

Wait but the fifth card is immediately discarded when it's played, no? It's not auctioned off? This was so unclear in the rules and video but it's the only interpretation we could get. Play the fifth to close the round but don't auction it. This meant most of the rounds had four count ties.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
So, sorry again to bring up what I imagine is run into the ground Root chat, (if someone knows a page that has a bunch on I'll just go read that) but, just played a bunch this weekend, was great! I get why you're all saying don't play six, but I think actually our group could withstand it. You're definitely right to recommend against though.

But like... I mean, this MUST have come up a bunch but... How is the vagabond ok?

We found, either, you beat the poo poo out of them as often as you all can, and just ruin their game totally, or they win without it being close. No real inbetween.

The fact they can get friendly with someone then just hand them a bunch of cards and jump up a third of the track seems kind of impossible to ever be in balance?

It felt like we had some rules wrong, but, couldn't find any. Every first turn for the vagabond just felt like they'd taken an insurmountable lead, and then either it was, and they won, or we beat them the gently caress up, and whoever spent the least resources doing this ended up striding ahead.

The idea of two vagabonds seems insane.

I imagine there's something we're missing, or, some new rules or...? It just felt so weird, all the other factions were dope as hell (otters were my personal fave)

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Wait but the fifth card is immediately discarded when it's played, no? It's not auctioned off? This was so unclear in the rules and video but it's the only interpretation we could get. Play the fifth to close the round but don't auction it. This meant most of the rounds had four count ties.

The 5th card isn't auctioned off, but it does help decide what cards are worth that season. At least that's the case in the Mayfair version. I remember because the helpful little explainer highlights some ill-considered terminology. Something like "Remember to evaluate all sold cards, even the 5th card which is not auctioned off :)". Modern Art has enough editions, each having to rewrite the rulebook, that edge cases are even hazier than normal. Other examples are does art always pay its value(s) from previous seasons, even if they weren't in the top 3 this year? (no in Mayfair, seems to be yes in Oink), or what the gently caress happens if you only play 1 "double auction" card.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

!Klams posted:

But like... I mean, this MUST have come up a bunch but... How is the vagabond ok?
The vagabond is not OK. Nobody likes the vagabond. They were in the game only because the designer wanted an Adventurer type character in the game for personal flavour reasons. A game of Root is made poorer for the inclusion of the Vagabond.

Fortunately, between all the expansions, there are 9 non-Vagabond races to choose from!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The publisher* wanted an adventurer type character.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
The vagabond with 5 other factions and new players to farm sounds like hell yeah.

I don’t like playing against them that much, but that’s mainly because while they interact with others a lot, every other faction’s interaction with them boils down to ‘you have to skip a turn’ or giving them points. Playing them is good fun. Some vagabond subtypes are way better than others, might be worth banning the tinker for example

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

!Klams posted:

You are not alone. Tons and tons of Root fans hate the Vagabond, including SUSD's Tom Brewster and Lord of the Board, who is a channel that has Root as his all time favorite game and has been sponsored by Leder in the past. It's gotta be at least 50%-50% VB enjoyers-haters out there, if not more.

I don't really like the VB too much either, but I think it's important it exists. To quote myself:

Magnetic North posted:

I think I've said it before, but I feel that the idea of having an asymmetric war game where a faction is just one guy is such a mindfuck that it helped Root garner even more mindshare on top of the wonderful art, deep asymmetry and quality gameplay. Like, how Vast had people running around going, "One player plays THE CAVE!" That Patrick Leder is a creative guy, even if a lot of us do agree that the Vagabond is not the best to play with.
There is also Vagabond Despot Infamy which is a house rule that many feel helps bring down the VB power level a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Magnetic North posted:

You are not alone. Tons and tons of Root fans hate the Vagabond, including SUSD's Tom Brewster and Lord of the Board, who is a channel that has Root as his all time favorite game and has been sponsored by Leder in the past. It's gotta be at least 50%-50% VB enjoyers-haters out there, if not more.

I don't really like the VB too much either, but I think it's important it exists. To quote myself:

There is also Vagabond Despot Infamy which is a house rule that many feel helps bring down the VB power level a bit.

Yeah, I absolutely 100 agree with this take, and "you can be the cave" is how I come to own Root, I totally see that.

Its a shame that they did a vagabond specific expansion that didn't fix the vagabond, but I'm intrigued to see what this house rule plays like. Still didn't seem enough to me at first blush but will try it at least once before passing judgement! Thanks!