Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Donald Trump was a fed on January 6th though? At least I'm pretty sure the president is the top fed guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Lmao

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Dr. Stab posted:

The nazis who agree with me on the present issue are cool. The rest are federal agents trying to make us look bad, but also I agree with them.

I'm real interested in what he thinks. He seems to say insurrectionism is a false flag. Like, everyone who stormed the capital was a federal agent? Is Donald Trump a federal agent? Is Tucker Carlson a fed?

It's hard to tell because iirc his reaction to it when it happened was "both sides are equally bad, the (((devilcorp))) that owns the media is stirring up partisan conflict to control us." He's probably not really thought about it since then.

His shift to the far right has happened so fast that it's hard to even remember how recently he was a both-sides-I'm-above-politics guy.

If I had to guess what he'd say if you asked him now, it would probably be along the lines of what Ben Garrison eventually settled on: those peaceful patriots showed up to politely and nonviolently protest for election integrity but FBI and ANTIFA infiltrators incited and goaded those innocent souls into going inside the building so they could be arrested and shot.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

:psyduck:
So climate change is real now or is this a metaphor for something else

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

wizzardstaff posted:

No one stormed the capitol, it was practically a tour group who stayed behind the ropes in The People's House. Okay maybe there were one or two people who went a little too far, but they were FBI plants trying to stir up the rest of the crowd. But hypothetically if some patriots had stood up against the oppressive government, it would have been entirely justified.

I like the idea that Baked Alaska is playing 7 dimensional chess and the last decade has all been setup for this.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

BonHair posted:

Donald Trump was a fed on January 6th though? At least I'm pretty sure the president is the top fed guy.

I think you'll find that Trump has been fed on many occasions, he's very well fed.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

By popular demand posted:

I think you'll find that Trump has been fed on many occasions, he's very well fed.

By that logic, I totally by the entire January 6th crowd being fed

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

VitalSigns posted:

:psyduck:
So climate change is real now or is this a metaphor for something else

Inflation.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Dr. Stab posted:

The nazis who agree with me on the present issue are cool. The rest are federal agents trying to make us look bad, but also I agree with them.

I'm real interested in what he thinks. He seems to say insurrectionism is a false flag. Like, everyone who stormed the capital was a federal agent? Is Donald Trump a federal agent? Is Tucker Carlson a fed?

Ishida is trying to Godwin his cake and eat it too.

In his mind, the people being called Nazis aren't really Nazis, they're only being labeled as such by the Real Nazis (See: The Wokes) in order to demonize them for being brave enough to say that trans women are all dudes in drag and women are mindless cattle incapable of possessing any true agency and that's why any of them could ever think they want to be sex workers.

As such, anyone seen flying swastikas around while screaming "I believe everything that Ishida believes, also Heil Hitler" are obviously just Feds following the orders of the Wokes in order to make him and his Real American allies look bad.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Little known-fact: the dinosaurs survived the so-called 'asteroid impact' completely unharmed, but were done in by the namby-pamby dinoliberal refusal to cut taxes for the 1%.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i’m pretty sure no one has written the sentence “can someone explain to me the symbolism of the flying LED mind control pimp hats” in human history so i’m proud to be the one to do it

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

the_steve posted:

In his mind, the people being called Nazis aren't really Nazis, they're only being labeled as such by the Real Nazis (See: The Wokes) in order to demonize them for being brave enough to say that trans women are all dudes in drag and women are mindless cattle incapable of possessing any true agency and that's why any of them could ever think they want to be sex workers.
But it's fine to visit them as long as my wife doesn't find out.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Observer:

"Flying pig or Kwasi Kwarteng’s mini-budget? – The new chancellor launches his economic plan for growth. But is it just so much hot air?"

Sunday Telegraph:

Your guess is as good as mine.

Matt:

Sunday Times:

Mail on Sunday:

‘I’m sorry, Sir. We’re completely sold out. There are so many parties going on... Bankers, frackers, big energy companies.’

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Cowcaster posted:

i’m pretty sure no one has written the sentence “can someone explain to me the symbolism of the flying LED mind control pimp hats” in human history so i’m proud to be the one to do it

God I can't actually remember the supposed political alignment of Ishida's pimps anymore, I think that they're misogyny but also the government? I don't know why the flying pimp hats turned them into people who film the cops, though, that's new

Lychnis
Jul 22, 2015

Flowers are beautiful, and smell nice.

Branco's elephant trunks really bother me. They're too short, and because of that, I can never help but read the pink nostril bit as the raw-flesh cut end of a fresh amputation. Half the time I don't even parse the comic's actual meaning, because I'm too busy cringing in sympathy and wondering what monster sliced half of that poor elephant's trunk off.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Ah. Thank you.

Also lol.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Nihilarian posted:

I just picked the first article i saw about it to show the comic was about a specific incident that happened and not a nebulous left-wingers want to kill right-wingers diatribe.

Ah yeah sorry if it seemed like I was getting too personal about your choice of link (although yeah don't link NY Post articles unless it's to say "look at this dumb bullshit in the Post"). And while the cartoon is about a specific event, it's still definitely meant to say "Look at how horrible leftists are for trying to murder people over having different political beliefs (and then being wrongfully set free by liberal soft on crime policies)."

Kellies Nomination: Most Easily Reinterpreted

I mean I'm assuming Sinfest is eligible for the Kellies, because this really is just straight up AGC.

lol how is this not actually a slam against right wing climate denial? This is incredible.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Stupid handmaid is clearly supposed to be the butt of the joke here, but "gently caress off nazis" "that's not nazis, that's just feds dressed like nazis" "yeah, nazis" is a far better and more astute observation than any of his mouthpieces have ever made.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

OK so are cops good or not.

The FBI, who are cops, are bad, but also we're supposed to think the handmaid is bad and dumb for saying yes cops are bad?

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

VitalSigns posted:

The FBI, who are cops, are bad, but also we're supposed to think the handmaid is bad and dumb for saying yes cops are bad?

Well, you see, Cops are all the guardians of Small-Town America, the Real America, or keeping the handful of Good People in cities safe from the ravening hordes of the inner city. The FBI are not Cops, they're Feds who the real Cops hate for being involved in the Fake America, AKA the Government. And whoever the real Cops hate, Good People are also supposed to hate, however that shifts around from moment to moment.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

He pretty much sees the federal government the way a sovereign citizen sees their legal identity, completely distinct from anything he actually depends on.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost
So antifa zombies, under the command of joker Biden, are being mind controlled by the devil's sexualisation hats into filming the FBI pretending to be Nazis hanging out in the free speech parts of the internet, in order to... what, exactly?

There is the tiniest little seed of actual events in there, specifically that activists have been taking down sites by reporting their membership and leadership to their hosting services, which tend to take the reasonable business decision of, in pursuit of not being investigated for hate crimes, killing off the low-value sites. In Ishida's world that's twisted into brainless left-aligned woke zombies being controlled by corporations into reporting fake government-aligned Nazis who we promise just showed up and were super obvious. The results of this and the ultimate goal is yet to be explained but can be assumed to be nefarious.

The throughline is tenuous but present. In both reality and the comic, the real problem isn't the attempt by (potentially fake) Nazis to invade spaces; it's the complete lack of awareness and response from those spaces. In Ishida's world, though, you can tell the difference between good and evil because good is passive or reactive, and evil is active. The world is good by default and any attempt to change anything is evil. The free speech zone is good because it does nothing and makes no decisions- you'll notice that it is presented as having always been there and always having been like that, despite the relative youth of all of the sites in it. The folks filming the cops are evil because they are doing something; cops are also evil because they are doing something. Good active people exist; however, they exist to remember how things used to be and are only ever acting to get back to that place.

SA gets the occasional flameout obvious neo-nazi but they get banned and the ten dollar entrance fee keeps them out.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Please go take a nap Somthin, it's very unhealthy to get this deep into the toxic sludge Ishida calls comics.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Kudelka:

This is about the Hawthorn racism report (i.e. the two teams in the Grand Final were not Hawthorn), AFL teams run through a giant banner with messages written on them before the start of a match.

Knight:

In a one-sided Grand Final Geelong Cats defeat Sydney Swans in a one-sided Grand Final: Geelong 20.13 (133) to Sydney 8.4 (52). The talking cow thing is cut off, he is saying "A Cat-astophe for the Swans".

Broelman:

Syndey Swans lost in the football.

Downes:

Music venues hit with increasing public liability insurance premiums as fears grow for future of industry (ABC).

Badiuaco:

Leak, Son of Leak:

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost
I think the part that we've all missed about Ishidaverse is that the metaphors are not accumulative and presented in aggregate, they're more of a tags system; zombies in a given comic are not necessarily misogynists or hellspawn or wokes or antifa or men (bad), they're better described as being any of them as suits the needs of the current situation being described.

In the following essay, "Three Uncles Sam: Age and Death in Sinfest," I will

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

VitalSigns posted:

Well, cops in the Sinfest universe are presented as a sort of gay mafia that only care about defending trans people and taking down TERF owned small businesses, so he could also be saying LGBT people are the real Nazis?

The metaphors are so mixed at this point it's hard to be sure.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Somfin posted:

they're better described as being any of them as suits the needs of the current situation being described.

This results in the comic being inherently incomprehensible to anyone that’s not Ishida because the meaning of an individual symbol or character can change even within the span of a single week.
:umberto:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

disposablewords posted:

Well, you see, Cops are all the guardians of Small-Town America, the Real America, or keeping the handful of Good People in cities safe from the ravening hordes of the inner city. The FBI are not Cops, they're Feds who the real Cops hate for being involved in the Fake America, AKA the Government. And whoever the real Cops hate, Good People are also supposed to hate, however that shifts around from moment to moment.

I guess, although when is the last time we saw a Real Cop in the Ishidaverse, as Space Cadet pointed out, all the cops are big ol flaming homo transgender mafia types now.

He portrays the people protesting cops as violent zombies, but has he drawn a single cop as a good guy since he started getting posted in this thread?

Maybe once when he drew a cop working for the literal Devil because it was the only job he could take after liberals defunded the police? And I'm not sure that cop was supposed to be a good guy (do Good Guys become Satan's minions for the paycheck?), but more of an unintended consequences thing. If you defund the cops they'll only go work for someone worse!

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

:kstare:Sinfest Sunday!:kstare:

AGC

quote:

AGC

quote:

Also AGC

quote:

Mr. Family Values is taking his family for a stroll through The Bad Place and he's not a fed, ergo he's a hypocritical conservative who cheats on his wife. AGC.

quote:

They are indeed in the bad place, AGC

Or - and bear with me here, Stantis, I know it may be a difficult concept to grasp, as you're drawinglazily writing a comic featuring a 30 year old little girl in love with Reagan - or the geeks who loved comic books actually...grew up and are the adults now? And have been for a very long time?

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

kartikeya posted:

Or - and bear with me here, Stantis, I know it may be a difficult concept to grasp, as you're drawinglazily writing a comic featuring a 30 year old little girl in love with Reagan - or the geeks who loved comic books actually...grew up and are the adults now? And have been for a very long time?

Eh, the kids who loved comic books in the 40s and 50s grew up and it didn't do the next generation any favors in terms of making comics mainstream.

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

Haschel Cedricson posted:

Eh, the kids who loved comic books in the 40s and 50s grew up and it didn't do the next generation any favors in terms of making comics mainstream.

People who grew up with comic books in the 40s made poo poo like the Batman tv series and some really, really bad comics-based movies (and more comic books). People who grew up with what they made created the Superman movies, then the Batman movies, and as those caught on a whole lot of animated series, video games, merchandise, and more movies (and more comic books). People who grew up with those are the ones making comic book movies/games/shows/etc now. Obviously Disney being a giant money monster that owns the entire media industry has supercharged things to the point they're incredibly oversaturated, but it's a snowball rolling down a hill that consists of people who are passionate/nostalgic for their childhood interests and people with money realizing they can make more money off of said people and their peers.

Video games were exactly the same way. Some niche, weird hobby that only nerds cared about grew exponentially when those nerds got older and started making their own games for younger nerds who grew up and started making their own games until capitalism devoured the whole thing and marketed it to every possible demographic with cash in hand.

Basically, Stantis' assertion that geek culture is some sort of separate thing that just burst fully formed into the mainstream (and recently), and gosh golly it's a surprise, is the kind of dipshit boomer observation that he excels at.

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013
Robert Ariail

Clay Bennett

Steve Breen

Jeff Danziger

Matt Davies

Clay Jones

Steve Kelley

Pedro X. Molina

Jack Ohman

Michael Ramirez

drat, California gonna annex a ton of land.

Jeff Stahler

Tom Stiglich

Tony Branco

quote:

Designated Driver: Many feel that Gov Walz is Driving Minnesota into the ground or is he asleep while crime and economic disaster rage?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Raised By Birds posted:

Michael Ramirez

Kellies nomination: Worst map

Seriously, what are those state borders?

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

"Biden's open border policy will vastly increase US territory. This is bad because there will be brown people in it." - Michael Ramirez, apparently.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I believe Florida also gets Cuba.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Technowolf posted:

Kellies nomination: Worst map

Seriously, what are those state borders?

Texas is apparently some other country so, overall, big win

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Raised By Birds posted:

Michael Ramirez

How do you gently caress up drawing Colorado and Wyoming? They're literally squares!

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Scratch a libertarian, and a monarchist bleeds?