Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

you call yourself a meteorologist yet you can't instantly recognize a tropical NAM plot.......................

Lots of people have repressed memories of Nam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

SirPablo posted:

Oh it's the 3km NAM lol sure why not

it’s really funny. these are all for Wednesday Zulu time, (so Tuesday late afternoon/evening). it shows up in view of the model at 1003 drifts down to 965 over 12 hours then:
00z: 972
01z: 965
02z: 956
03z: 933
04z: 908
05z: 880
06z: 874

seems legit, lockitin.

sorry to disappoint the hypercane fans though, they’d go down to like 700 hPa. hurricane Wilma has the record for the Atlantic basin at 882 hPa, the worldwide record is typhoon tip at 870 hPa.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/currently/status/1574196611919527937

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nature is healing. Tampa is an open sore on the face of the Earth.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

That scenario looks really similar to how Katrina hosed up New Orleans, by just hanging out near the city for a long while instead of actually hitting the coast and rapidly losing power.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

SKULL.GIF posted:

That scenario looks really similar to how Katrina hosed up New Orleans, by just hanging out near the city for a long while instead of actually hitting the coast and rapidly losing power.

Also Harvey/Houston, and Dorian/Bahamas, no?

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

I’m in danger lol

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

RandolphCarter posted:

I’m in danger lol

Get out now

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Good thing DeSantis already established air service from Florida to Martha's Vineyard.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I feel like that's the first one that's done that. I would be incredibly surprised if it did that exactly. Usually when I have looked at the Euro it's dipping into the west coast and crossing the peninsula.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

lol they have a suburb named Brandon

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/ExtremeStorms/status/1574180785636114433

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

actionjackson posted:

Glebz Glooub Glahngbon

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I hope the hurricane destroys all of Florida

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

actionjackson posted:

There’s tons of hype for the evacuation.

Let’s go, Brandon!

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Lots of people have repressed memories of Nam.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Lol, lmao

OK baizuo
Mar 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Looks like Ian's finally starting to get its act together on the Cayman Islands radar, an eye is clearly visible

https://www.weather.gov.ky/radar

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

tam-pa hyper-cane *clap clap clapclapclap*

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

OK baizuo posted:

Looks like Ian's finally starting to get its act together on the Cayman Islands radar, an eye is clearly visible

https://www.weather.gov.ky/radar

.KY, huh?

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

MLK Ultra posted:

i know this is wrong and isn't going to happen but

#LOCKitIN

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ IAN TAKE MY ENERGY ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

tam-pa hyper-cane *clap clap clapclapclap*

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

MLK Ultra posted:

i know this is wrong and isn't going to happen but

#LOCKitIN

You just got NAM’d

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
RIP Touchdown Tom

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

WaryWarren posted:

RIP Touchdown Tom

The ‘M’ stands for ‘MILD’.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

latest NAM run still is trying to make 878 happen lol

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What does the M stand for? I assume H is hurricane and S is uh storm?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

ekuNNN posted:

What does the M stand for? I assume H is hurricane and S is uh storm?

both correct, M is “major” for major hurricane (3 or above)

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Murdercane

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stereotype posted:

both correct, M is “major” for major hurricane (3 or above)

Oh so it's actually worse than H? I assumed hitting Cuba weakened it and turned it to uh Medium or something

I guess Cuba is too skinny for it to really have an impact on the strength of the hurricane then

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Cuba has some solid mountains but usually it’s the eastern part of the island that will slow down storms

It’s not like the big island of Hawaii where Mauna Loa can just eat a tropical storm

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

:stonk: tampa is totally hosed

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Pryor on Fire posted:

Good

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

There was a lot of uncertainty and wobbling in this forecast, so only two days to evacuate or less. get the gently caress out of tampa tonight if you can, roads will be a complete shitshow tomorrow

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Can we write our eulogies for Tampa here??

Dearest Tampa
I love your many bays
Your shopping centers
Your traffic
You're an ugly lady but a solid one
Tarpon Springs is pretty cool

Hopefully everything works out and old Tampa doesn't get sponged off the map

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
It seems like maybe it's worthwhile to raise some alarms even when there's still a lot of uncertainty in the forecast, especially when you're talking about major cities. But I guess that would mean worrying about things or not always assuming that everything will work out so it's probably a bad idea.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

hobbesmaster posted:

Cuba has some solid mountains but usually it’s the eastern part of the island that will slow down storms

It’s not like the big island of Hawaii where Mauna Loa can just eat a tropical storm

it's very funny to me that so far my experience has been that it seems like either forecast models don't include any effects from the mauna's, or that they do it incorrectly. it always projects that hurricanes are gonna move through them with little effect and then the volcanoes devour the storm and we just get some rain

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
oh i have a real question: where can i get satellite or nextrad weather maps from a time that isn't within the past 72 hours? even maps going back a week or a month would be cool, and i can't even find those. i'd love to be able to pull up the measurements from years ago too, there's one hurricane that i distinctly remember was supposed to smash honolulu as like a cat 4 (which would be the end of honolulu) but then it just, stopped spinning. just came to a complete halt as it passed the big island, and we just got rain clouds.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Stereotype posted:

it's very funny to me that so far my experience has been that it seems like either forecast models don't include any effects from the mauna's, or that they do it incorrectly. it always projects that hurricanes are gonna move through them with little effect and then the volcanoes devour the storm and we just get some rain

At least for the West Indies, the GFS and Euro do a reasonable job of tropical systems interacting with mountains, but it still is one of those bifurcation points that can cause major model inconsistency. Irma was a real good example of this.

Stereotype posted:

oh i have a real question: where can i get satellite or nextrad weather maps from a time that isn't within the past 72 hours? even maps going back a week or a month would be cool, and i can't even find those. i'd love to be able to pull up the measurements from years ago too, there's one hurricane that i distinctly remember was supposed to smash honolulu as like a cat 4 (which would be the end of honolulu) but then it just, stopped spinning. just came to a complete halt as it passed the big island, and we just got rain clouds.

I don't know if there are sites that save long histories of radar in general. For old tropical systems though, I bet you can find some saved radar loops on the storm2k.org forums in the relevant archived storm thread. Although there are significantly less posts on systems that aren't gulf or atlantic threats.

Notorious R.I.M. has issued a correction as of 06:48 on Sep 26, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pryor on Fire posted:

As I accidentally said in the thread for normal people: Tampa must and shall be destroyed.

This hubris cannot stand:

ekuNNN has issued a correction as of 06:48 on Sep 26, 2022