Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Morrow posted:

I don't understand why he wants to mess with the great thing he has going: his father's the hand of the king, his brother is banging the crown princess, and he's a close councilor to the queen. Whichever way the succession plays out he's going to come out on top.

This way he gets to inherit Harrenhal which never would've happened otherwise since he's a 2nd son, and also his brother's poo poo would've ruined the family if it ever got out. Plus he's guaranteed a high position if Aegon wins the succession struggle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

give the mute prisoner some crayons, booms, you got your guy in 40 seconds

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

In this episode they developed probably three of the most likeable characters so far and then killed them all. I’m a little pissed lol. I know it’s game of thrones and I shouldn’t be mad but it felt rushed. Like I JUST started to like Harwin, Laenora and papa Strong.

Also, is Otto still around?

Starks fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Sep 26, 2022

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Starks posted:

Also, is Otto still around?
He left for Oldtown last episode and is still alive, so far as we know.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Also, I accept that it's a problem that Rhaenyra's kids are bastards, but since the crown is passing through her matrilineally I don't really understand why. Like, with a king's bastards you don't know for certainty that they came from him. Rhaenyra is the king's daughter and heir, and these kids literally came out of her body. Her husband doesn't enter into the succession calculation at all. And can't bastards be legitimized? Roose makes Ramsay a Bolton, and Robb was going to make Jon a Stark.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
Pretty good episode. Not as great as 5, which was peak GoT quality, but had some great developments and acting. Shame the deaths of Laena and the Strongs felt rushed.

I love how every character in this show is a prestige drama archetype, except for Larys Strong, who wants to become a Batman villain.

Given a crazy leak I heard, that scene of Alicent taking off her shoes before talking to him filled me with dread, though. :stare:

arrowdust
Jan 26, 2015

That DICK! posted:

give the mute prisoner some crayons, booms, you got your guy in 40 seconds

lmao

Like this is great, and I thank you for illustrating your point, but crayons don't exist either, and I doubt the criminals would know Larys's name for confirmation purposes. Which dude with a cane in King's Landing are they after?? Are the investigators just gonna walk them through each of them by the process of elimination??

Also I imagine straight-up accusing Larys (a nobleman) of murdering his dad and brother would go down so well. The only "evidence" comes from death row common crooks!

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

William Bear posted:

I love how every character in this show is a prestige drama archetype, except for Larys Strong, who wants to become a Batman villain.

He's giving me heavy Richard III vibes.

arrowdust
Jan 26, 2015

Anyway this was again a rad episode and I'm hoping for both Rhaenyra and Laenor's sake that their marriage improves. She's not looking too likeable as of late and popping out a not-insult heir would definitely improve that

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
kinda wish we'd seen laena finding and taming vhagar...seems like a big deal

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Tender Bender posted:

Also, I accept that it's a problem that Rhaenyra's kids are bastards, but since the crown is passing through her matrilineally I don't really understand why. Like, with a king's bastards you don't know for certainty that they came from him. Rhaenyra is the king's daughter and heir, and these kids literally came out of her body. Her husband doesn't enter into the succession calculation at all. And can't bastards be legitimized? Roose makes Ramsay a Bolton, and Robb was going to make Jon a Stark.

GoT folks only care about the King's hair color, consider how ridiculous their white hair look.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Tender Bender posted:

Yeah, but they don’t look like Targaryens, which is what counts. To Alicent, it’s another sign that Rhaenyra isn’t fit to be queen, she’s obviously sleeping around on her husband and lying to everyone about it, which is not befitting of her station or whatever. Her kids and Rhaenyra’s kids are exactly the same amount of Targaryen, but Alicent’s kids look like true Targaryens, which is another sign they’re more worthy. Obviously male rulers get away with this stuff all the time, but a female ruler is going to be subject to much harsher judgements.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

That ending was whack! I loved the Harwin actor. Super charismatic. That death wrecked me. I’m slightly willing to believe the circumstances given that fire absolutely was an awful problem back then.

The recasting shook me at first. But Emma D’Arcy is absolutely terrific. Olivia Cooke, I’m still on the fence about. The performance was slightly one-note. I’m sure we’ll see more once they branch her beyond the sanctimonious wife character.

Overall I’m super into the show and excited that they haven’t wrecked this yet.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Also lol that they got the Me and Earl and the Dying Girl actress. What a big jump this is gonna be for her.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Favorite line of the episode …..WOT…..

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Shout out for not making the gay character a huge pussy like Renly.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Also, kinda disappointed they’re not pronouncing Jace as Jake.

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS

That DICK! posted:

are strongs a baratheon cadet house?

they are supposed to be descendants of the first men, like the starks. guess that means the 'traditional' baratheon features come from the durrandon side of the family.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I really thought that episode loving blew the rest of the show so far absolutely out of the water *completely*. Like, to me that was just head and shoulders above the first five episode in so many ways. Emma D’Arcy is actually a real actress who can really hold her own, and I am so happy to see her absolutely owning this character from the get-go. Almost all the recastings were dramatic improvements, I thought.

Was absolutely blown away by the ending with Larys Clubfoot, that was some chilling Littlefinger-esque narration he gave at the end about the follies of love. I really love the actor they got to play him, appropriately soft-spoken and creepy. Clever of him to cut out the tongues of the agents he sent to Harrenhall to murder his own father and brother. Quite a guy.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I do kiiiinda wish we got another pre-skip episode before this one to flesh out Larys, Laena, and Harwin more though. Maybe even show us Laenor and Rhaenyra's early marriage life. I mean Larys only really had two scenes before this on-screen rise to pure villainy, and Harwin barely had poo poo. But I guess you can only do so much.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

arrowdust posted:

Also I imagine straight-up accusing Larys (a nobleman) of murdering his dad and brother would go down so well. The only "evidence" comes from death row common crooks!
"Just one more thing...can you explain why these men accusing you of planning the murder of your kin each have a brooch matching the one on your cane?"

Ubersandwich
Jun 1, 2003

kaworu posted:

I really thought that episode loving blew the rest of the show so far absolutely out of the water *completely*. Like, to me that was just head and shoulders above the first five episode in so many ways. Emma D’Arcy is actually a real actress who can really hold her own, and I am so happy to see her absolutely owning this character from the get-go. Almost all the recastings were dramatic improvements, I thought.

Hard agree. It feels like not only the plot is hitting its stride, D'Arcy and Cooke are really bringing it.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

But seriously gently caress Alicent and her “oh but that’s not what I wanted!” bullshit

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

A Buttery Pastry posted:

"Just one more thing...can you explain why these men accusing you of planning the murder of your kin each have a brooch matching the one on your cane?"

This was extremely dumb and they think the audience is even dumber. Even if you don't clock that those men are the released prisoners the villain has a monologue explaining it right after.

It's like how Hightower's brother seemingly only existed to further explain his scheming to the audience.

Still, these last two episodes have been legit good. I wasn't that into it at the start of the season but it's got me now.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

The brooch they all had was a bee so I thought it was a layer of protection if they got caught to tie them to Lord Beesbury, who I presume is associated with bees. But the less convoluted explanation that assumes the audience is stupid is probably correct.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

ruddiger posted:

But seriously gently caress Alicent and her “oh but that’s not what I wanted!” bullshit
I dunno, based on the conversation we saw I don’t think she could reasonably expect the razing of a castle. It’s clear Larys just decided that forcing her hand was the way to go.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Vegetable posted:

I dunno, based on the conversation we saw I don’t think she could reasonably expect the razing of a castle. It’s clear Larys just decided that forcing her hand was the way to go.

She’s literally pitting her children to the death with their cousin/nephews. And this episode established Aegon and Rhaenyra’s boys actually like each other! Viserys is absolutely right that the boys would’ve grown and bonded with each other, but Alicent and Criston are clearly trying to poison that relationship before it can cement.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I don't understand how what Larys did benefits Alicent? Was it just so that her dad Otto could become Hand of the King?

It also seems kind of dumb that like 10 random prisoners could work so collaboratively to assassinate the lords of a great fortress.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

ruddiger posted:

She’s literally pitting her children to the death with their cousin/nephews. And this episode established Aegon and Rhaenyra’s boys actually like each other! Viserys is absolutely right that the boys would’ve grown and bonded with each other, but Alicent and Criston are clearly trying to poison that relationship before it can cement.

It's a great bit of characterisation, isn't it? She wants them out of the way but oh, not like that! She never asked for that! She tells her son he's going to be king but she doesn't want anyone killed, that's not what that means!

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I don't understand how what Larys did benefits Alicent? Was it just so that her dad Otto could become Hand of the King?

It also seems kind of dumb that like 10 random prisoners could work so collaboratively to assassinate the lords of a great fortress.

I think there's really two things going on. One that is her dad can become hand of the king. The other is that... it makes Alicent frightened of Larys because if he's willing to kinslay there's no telling what else he's willing to do. It's not actually about benefiting her as much being able to SAY that he did this horrific act to benefit her. "You are riding a tiger, do you dare attempt to get off?"

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Cirofren posted:

This was extremely dumb and they think the audience is even dumber. Even if you don't clock that those men are the released prisoners the villain has a monologue explaining it right after.
Yeah, I kinda accepted it as essentially a non-diegetic way to make triple sure the audience understood what was happening. I mean, I get that it is actually diegetic, but it was so blatant that you might as well have had a fourth wall break.

Larys' Eleven. The rapist distracts some of the guards, the murderer kills some of the others, the pedophile uses their trickery to recruit a kid, and so on, until finally the arsonists gets to set fire to the whole castle.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

pretty big win to take out the insanely honest & good hand that your husband the king is super big into, who also happens to be the father of the father of the bastards you think will be killing your kids should your incredible old fat and sick husband die

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I like the new actresses, and them fighting each other all the time seems like an improvement. But man, King Goon just keeps living his own, oblivious best life. Rock on, rotting man! :yeah:

Also Matt Daemon seemed to be doing sort of okay there, but now he's all sad again :smith: I hope he becomes a weird chaos goblin again, sorry Matt Daemon daughters!

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS

all of the strong forces and bannermen are now loyal to the queen, maybe. dunno how much I'd trust larys. harrenhall might be a ruin but it's also one of the most strategically located castles in westeros. it gives pretty good control over the riverlands and all traffic coming from the westerlands as well as the north.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

Punkin Spunkin posted:

kinda wish we'd seen laena finding and taming vhagar...seems like a big deal

Fun fact! They actually did film Laena doing just that, but choose to cut the scene. It was a pre-timeskip scene that would have occurred when she was still a teen. I was actually surprised that they didn't have her fly into the wedding next to her mom and brother last episode. Lots of us were convinced the shot would open with those two, and then Vhagar would come into the scene dwarfing the other two dragons. Seriously, Vhagar is loving huge. She takes shits bigger than the other dragons.

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~
:lmao: at Alicent not even bothering to touch on the subject of her firstborn treating his body like an amusement park while a few inches away from Tommen-ing himself.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The Westerosi equivalent of the “WE DID IT” medallions from The Righteous Gemstones.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
I just want to comment to say that the people making this season must be huge fans of the books because they are throwing in so much foreshadowing and flat out buried references to future events that it's absolutely stunning. When this series is finally done people re-watching it are going to laugh at how so many events that occur way later are being straight referenced, but viewers are missing it because it's being done so well.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Just so we're all on the same page : that cool rear end model that king goon loves so much is loving toast long term, right?

Like just from a metatextual standpoint, you don't feature a giant prop like that, that's even been established to be breakable, and then it somehow outlives all the characters. Someone's totally getting stabbed so they can fall on it followed by a shot from above.

This isn't magic book poo poo, I don't even know if Verys' model train set is in there, this is my own supposition.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

King Goon: I have hosed up prophetic dreams about the death of all humanity. I’m gonna make my daughter heir which would lead to a catastrophic succession crises if I were ever to have a son. Oh whoops I had two and have a terrible progressive incurable disease. Now if you’ll excuse me I’m going to spend 15 years playing with my Legos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Was the traitor in the black cells a character we've met already? He looks familiar, but I don't seem to remember any specific treason.