Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

I'm GMing for a group of 4 players, only one of whom has prior TTRPG experience (and that was just a handful of 5e sessions in grad school). We are playing in person, and I was expecting them to have trouble keeping track of everything. But actually they've all been really good at it. Pathbuilder keeps track of most of it for them, and they haven't had any issues filling in the gaps. We've even had a no-TTRPG-experience guest player drop in and play a (pre-made) druid without any issues. I think this speaks really highly of the system — it's pretty easy to just pick up on the fly in my experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
A lot of the stuff is just fairly self explanatory which is very nice even as a ttg vet. It's a good system!

Now give me starfinder 2e, paizo

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Can someone TLDR what makes p2e so much more complicated/crunchy whatever than 5e?

Because p2e just doesn't seem that complex to me? I've only played Fighter/Rogues so far though.

Like I've got a friend who showed some interest in getting a ttg going, but refused to do pathfinder because it's way to complicated.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Can someone TLDR what makes p2e so much more complicated/crunchy whatever than 5e?

Because p2e just doesn't seem that complex to me? I've only played Fighter/Rogues so far though.

Like I've got a friend who showed some interest in getting a ttg going, but refused to do pathfinder because it's way to complicated.

So, a simple and ubiquitous example is degrees of success.

In 5e, things either succeed or fail - bounded accuracy means that the general numbers involved don’t change too much from 1-20, and attacks will crit on a nat 20.

In pf2e, the target numbers escalate pretty dramatically from 1-20 (as do the size of your bonuses to your roll), and you need to be cognizant if results that are -10 and +10 from the success mark because crit success and crit failure is a thing on dozens of different rolls.

Now, this isn’t that complicated or crunchy. But it is definitely more so than 5e.

Similarly, character building in pathfinder just involves making many many more choices over the course of building and leveling a character compared to 5e - and each of those choices in turn is going to be linked to a table with ten or a dozen or a hundred choices.

There’s just a lot more there, for better and worse.

This is further compounded by the bad reputation of the Mathfinder 1e/3.5 days which were even crunchier still with a ton more interactions and systemic complexity. A lot of the criticisms from those days no longer apply, but when we’re talking about someone who is hard disinterested based purely on reputation, it’s likely a factor.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Pathfinder 1e was a lot worse because it was based on DnD3.5 which went for a full on "the rules are the actual physics of the game world" approach. PF2e has somewhat inherited this approach but tried to make it more streamlined 'behind the scenes'. This means, for example, that basically nothing is 'per encounter', or 'per short rest'... instead it 'requires a 10 minute activity to recharge', e.g. the Refocus action, or the Repair action to repair a damaged shield.

Otherwise there's a couple of big differences that can add to initial complexity:
- No adv/disadv, instead you need to track the numeric bonuses
- three-action system and the multiple-attack-penalty that comes with it
- character creation needing a bunch of choices

At level 1 in DnD5e you're making basically three choices - stat allocation, race and class. In PF2e you're adding a bunch of feats on top of that, which is especially daunting if you're looking at Pathbuilder or AON and so you're seeing every possible non-core option too.
Once you do have a character, though, it's pretty simple.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
3.5/PF1e did not have "the rules are the physics of the game world," that's a common misconception but it's absolutely not a physics-simulationist system, far from it.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Ah ok I can see if dnd doesn't have like ok I'm doing my second attack on a flat footed opponent who's behind cover etc etc that that could get sorta confusing.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Well, for a simple example, take a look at the Pathfinder 2e fighter class table and the number of moving parts you have at level 10 (ancestry feats, class abilities, class feats, skill feats, skill proficiencies, various items that will often have a daily or encounter ability, etc), and compare to how much more limited the set of abilities and choices a level 10 fighter in 5e will have.

Even the simplest PF 2e character will have a noticeably higher complexity floor than a simple 5e character, and will have at least a handful of situational things to actively choose between in combats rather than "move and attack and bonus attack".

Roadie fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Sep 26, 2022

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

i've never played 5e, but pf2e is orders of magnitude less complex than pf1e. it seems complicated if you're looking at the rulebook for the first time, but once you play the game it's incredibly straightforward

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

hyphz posted:

Ruby Phoenix

I've never used the chase system before, what's broken about it?

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Procrastine posted:

I've never used the chase system before, what's broken about it?

Part of it is that it's generally designed with the assumption of characters on foot with no extraordinary movement abilities and approximately equal base speeds, is my understanding?

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

The Golux posted:

Part of it is that it's generally designed with the assumption of characters on foot with no extraordinary movement abilities and approximately equal base speeds, is my understanding?

Basically yes. The big problem is that there’s no mapping from “chase points” to actual ranges or anything else in the system. If the PCs want to do basically anything other than follow the target and use the standard listed ways to defeat obstacles, it’s pure handwavium, which is jarring compared to the rest of PF2e.

Also air chases and combats can be really screwed up if anyone has a weapon that knocks prone.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Arivia posted:

An item is anything that's not a one-time use consumable, like a potion or an elixir. This is one of those cases where it's much easier to suss this out looking at the printed rulebook since it's got nice tables breaking down consumable versus permanent items by level.

Finally got back to my books to look at this stuff, and it looks like I'd be better off taking the lump sum and buying scrolls since I'm playing a Sorcerer? I certainly don't need half plate or an everburning torch after all.

There doesn't seem to be much data around on what equipment is useful for what yet that I can find and it's a bit vexing.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Hunter Noventa posted:

Finally got back to my books to look at this stuff, and it looks like I'd be better off taking the lump sum and buying scrolls since I'm playing a Sorcerer? I certainly don't need half plate or an everburning torch after all.

There doesn't seem to be much data around on what equipment is useful for what yet that I can find and it's a bit vexing.

I don't know what level you are but spellcasters really want a magical staff and a Shadow Signet.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

KPC_Mammon posted:

I don't know what level you are but spellcasters really want a magical staff and a Shadow Signet.

Based on previous posts, 2.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

what do those do in 2e? Do you just mean a staff that is a magical weapon or an actual casting staff? And as a 1e player not familiar with shadow signet.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

The Golux posted:

what do those do in 2e? Do you just mean a staff that is a magical weapon or an actual casting staff? And as a 1e player not familiar with shadow signet.

staves are one of the main items casters use and they basically give you extra spells

Shadow SIgnet:
https://2e.aonprd.com/Equipment.aspx?ID=1073

changes a spell attack to a reflex or fort dc instead, i haven't seen this item before and that is insanely good

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

sugar free jazz posted:

staves are one of the main items casters use and they basically give you extra spells

Shadow SIgnet:
https://2e.aonprd.com/Equipment.aspx?ID=1073

changes a spell attack to a reflex or fort dc instead, i haven't seen this item before and that is insanely good

Ah that does sound good.

I suppose if staves work similarly to 1e they must have slashed the price on them if they're desirable now, they were good in 1e but generally horrifically expensive.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Yes, they are as low as item level 3, are nearly all common meaning they can be found in most towns/cities, and are affordable all throughout a campaign.

Staff of Fire is only 60gp

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Generally all the 2e magic item stuff has rebalanced costs so anything up to level 15 items is merely "really expensive", and it's only past that point that things escalate from "mortgage for a fancy house" up towards "small country's GDP". It fits the thematics of the setting a lot better than the clumsy pretending of the 1e rules that all magic items are inherently ultra-rare.

For example, a type IV bag of holding is 2,400 gp, which is the same cost as 80 suits of full plate armor or hiring an unskilled labor force of 65 people for a full year—pricey, but you can no longer break the economy by selling one in the wrong place.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

KPC_Mammon posted:

Yeah, it's level 2 to start, so its a single level 1 item. So it really only benefits martials or people who can't see in darkness to take an item over the gold. I filtered the AoN equipment list and there's a lot of neat circumstantial items, but nothing of much use for a Sorcerer at that level.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
Are all the ongoing campaign foundry modules as good as the Beginner's Box? Looking at this, there's like, 0 prep work needed to run this aside from making stairway connectors from scene to scene and reading ahead a little bit.

Very tempted to run Blood Lords if so.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

I've seen the Abomination Vaults and Outlaws of Alkenstar ones, and they're both very good.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I know some people who are playing Blood lords on foundry and it's apparently excellent

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I've been running Outlaws of Alkenstar on foundry for some goons and the Foundry module makes it pretty easy.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

The Paizo Foundry APs are so good it almost makes me wish my group would quit playing in person again lol

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

The only downside is, now that I've seen those Foundry APs, I don't want to do any non-Foundry AP campaigns ever again. They've spoiled me.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

I've been playing Blood Lords on Foundry and it does seem to be very well set up for the GM.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Arrrthritis posted:

Are all the ongoing campaign foundry modules as good as the Beginner's Box? Looking at this, there's like, 0 prep work needed to run this aside from making stairway connectors from scene to scene and reading ahead a little bit.

Very tempted to run Blood Lords if so.

Alkenstar is great but far from perfect. A few encounters don't have maps and it assumes previous experience DMing because stuff can get a bit crazy. Considering the module is designed for advanced / high complexity classes I think it is OK if everyone knows what they are doing.

Abomination Vaults is presented in such a way to mostly allow the GM to wing it. Being a dungeon helps.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Enos Cabell posted:

The Paizo Foundry APs are so good it almost makes me wish my group would quit playing in person again lol

I'm glad one of my group lives out of town from the rest of us so we have a good excuse to keep using Foundry.

I'm a Kingmaker backer and I am extremely excited to see what the Foundry module ends up looking like, despite the fact that half my pledge was the Pawn Box and Maps and poo poo.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

https://paizo.com/community/blog/v5748dyo6si5l?Kineticist-Playtest-Analysis

Doesn't sound too bad

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Man that playtest analysis is a great window into what makes PF2e such a well designed system, particularly because right now you can compare it directly to the shitshow that is D&D One

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Want to switch my group off of Lancer and the system vote ultimately landed on this. Haven't read the rules yet but I've done some casual flipping through the book and it seems cool and I am excited. What I would like to know is how does this game actually deal with caster supremacy? The op says, "It also gets rid of Caster supremacy. spellcasters are still extremely strong, but a lot of their strength is in their utility now. The fighter, surprisingly enough is probably the biggest damage class in the game, which feels amazing." but that's the actual problem; linear martials versus quadratic casters. Doesn't matter if the fighter is the highest dps, dps was never why casters were strong to begin with. It was their monopoly on utility and capacity to trivialize encounters with save or die/suck spells/magical means of evading the environment (fly, knock, summon monster, etc.).

At a casual flip through, it's hard for me to parse exactly what actually stymies casters. I have a hunch it's that all of the actually busted utility spells are uncommon/rare/rituals so you largely don't suffer from the wizard or cleric always being a days rest away from having the easiest answer. I know focus spells are talked about a fair bit and they do seem to fit the mold (like monk getting access to quivering palm and ethereal jaunt, both of which are the kind of thing I'm talking about so it's good) but I also didn't see any fighter or rogue focus spells. Is a lot of utility just shunted off into skill feats? Do a lot of class and ancestry feats bolt on spell-like things to fighter and rogue? I see wands still exist, what exactly stops some nerd with a wand of summon monster 1 from invalidating the rogue as a trapfinder?

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Failboattootoot posted:

Want to switch my group off of Lancer and the system vote ultimately landed on this. Haven't read the rules yet but I've done some casual flipping through the book and it seems cool and I am excited. What I would like to know is how does this game actually deal with caster supremacy? The op says, "It also gets rid of Caster supremacy. spellcasters are still extremely strong, but a lot of their strength is in their utility now. The fighter, surprisingly enough is probably the biggest damage class in the game, which feels amazing." but that's the actual problem; linear martials versus quadratic casters. Doesn't matter if the fighter is the highest dps, dps was never why casters were strong to begin with. It was their monopoly on utility and capacity to trivialize encounters with save or die/suck spells/magical means of evading the environment (fly, knock, summon monster, etc.).

At a casual flip through, it's hard for me to parse exactly what actually stymies casters. I have a hunch it's that all of the actually busted utility spells are uncommon/rare/rituals so you largely don't suffer from the wizard or cleric always being a days rest away from having the easiest answer. I know focus spells are talked about a fair bit and they do seem to fit the mold (like monk getting access to quivering palm and ethereal jaunt, both of which are the kind of thing I'm talking about so it's good) but I also didn't see any fighter or rogue focus spells. Is a lot of utility just shunted off into skill feats? Do a lot of class and ancestry feats bolt on spell-like things to fighter and rogue? I see wands still exist, what exactly stops some nerd with a wand of summon monster 1 from invalidating the rogue as a trapfinder?

In short:

Casters get a lot less spells per day, and the power level of the spells across the board is majorly decreased. Compare PF1 Haste to PF2 Haste, for example. Out of combat utility and mobility took the hardest hits in terms of nerfs imho. Even spells like Detect Magic function completely differently and are much less powerful in adventuring.

At the same time skills got majorly buffed and you can do a lot more things without having casting.

Other than the Bard casters aren’t a big issue, and even Bards are not anywhere near as broken as a like Arcanist or Wizard in PF1. They’re just noticeably better.

Mechayahiko
May 27, 2011

Doctor Rope
The game is also designed for high level play. There is alot less save or suck and save or die. All the usual suspects have the Incapacitation trait so they won't shut out your big bads. https://2e.aonprd.com/Traits.aspx?ID=93

Rogues are also no longer the trap monkey. Its more of a thing anyone can do. Alot of traps use other skills to disarm. One in Abomination Vault lets you disarm it with intimidation.

For most of my experience, casters are more debuff focused and AOE. Summons are ok but they are usually a level or two below the party.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Casters also can't use spells to invalidate skills. See Pass Without Trace and Knock, for instance.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Also there's a general level one feat that anyone can take with appropriate skill training for using magic items regardless of class: https://2e.aonprd.com/Feats.aspx?ID=857

I think in general it's not entirely that casters are weaker (though they are) as much as other classes having a lot more combat options in terms of either applying their own debuffs, grapples/grabs/trips/shoves, or other archetype based things. I think martials in general have better choices for picking up a cool free archetype that works with their stats more than most casters do. A second casting free archetype doesn't really do much for you as a sorceror, and you aren't going to want to take something that puts you in melee, but there are far more options you can feasibly take as a rogue or fighter to pick up some specific utility you like for your character.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
also flying takes an action to maintain, not having the move-action distinction means that maintaining flight fucks with your ability to do things badly, especially since most spells are two-action for a much shakier chance of success because of tighter numbers.

there also aren't really spells that Just Work, No Save like 3.5 forcecage or force too many saves to not do something like 3.5 prismatic <blank>

Mechayahiko
May 27, 2011

Doctor Rope
Summons and Pets requiring your actions to use and sharing your MAP make them alot weaker. In my last game we had a mage summon dragons using his highest level slot and even then, they didn't contribute a ton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Mechayahiko posted:

Summons and Pets requiring your actions to use and sharing your MAP

They don't share MAP, except Summoner eidelon and mounts