Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

other people posted:

Are those pies?

Giant pumpkin pies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

other people posted:

Are those pies?

looks like pumpkin pies to me

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
Those are giant costco pumpkin pies yeah.

I remember going to costco once and the gal in line in front of us had one of those giant bears, and she told the cashier her wife was going to be really annoyed about her buying one, because it was 'for the dog'. :allears:

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
https://i.imgur.com/G9wx3tH.mp4

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Like a loving glove

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

big dyke energy posted:

Those are giant costco pumpkin pies yeah.

I remember going to costco once and the gal in line in front of us had one of those giant bears, and she told the cashier her wife was going to be really annoyed about her buying one, because it was 'for the dog'. :allears:

Lesbian dog moms do be like that.

I half lesbian dog mom on my mother's side.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Well she should be angry, the dog will not appreciate that doll any more than a significantly cheaper pillow!
Lesbian dog moms are cool and good

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

mobby_6kl posted:

Not all of these are occupational strictly speaking but I think it qualifies
https://i.imgur.com/tPp6ewj.mp4

people cutting content from Gizmo! never fails to make this thread pop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0l01o2-X3A&t=1900s

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/Q7iG96R.mp4

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010

Never seen bags of coke that tired!

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

:hmmyes:

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

That's a truck I don't trust.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Well I don't trust any truck. That truck is just extra not trustable.

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010
I like how the truck steps the breaks in the end, like he's just gonna pull over in the middle of a highway and scrape what's left of his asbestos bags and throw them over the pile, like any responsible fuckler would do.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
beer delivery
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rihh3s8Up11s1vn29.mp4

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ekuNNN posted:

beer delivery

Must be Bud Light, for the mountain goats.

:dadjoke:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

I audibly cheered "yesss" when it finally happened. Was worried the gif was gonna blue-ball me.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/Jmd1XjP.mp4

Workers on the Chrysler building, 1929

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Kith posted:

nope.osha

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Kith posted:

OSHA wasn't around til the 70s. Perfectly safe and legal

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
I can't imagine how windy it is up there and they're like "better not head up without my fedora, gotta look stylish 80 floors up for the guys".

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

ChesterJT posted:

I can't imagine how windy it is up there and they're like "better not head up without my fedora, gotta look stylish 80 floors up for the guys".

I don't think it's about looking stylish, I think it's about staying warm. It's cold as gently caress up in those parts, and hats are pretty good at keeping the wind off of you.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
Wasn't the Chrysler building famous for not having anyone die during its construction? Pretty sure that was just a happy coincidence.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
There are people even now that will say having safety gear makes you more careless. I reckon if you were working in those conditions your be very loving careful, until you weren't.

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021
I think the lack of PPE and more importantly lubrication should be a $10000 fine from OSHA and a 5 yard penalty at minimum.

He started the game as a tight end, but ended it as a wide receiver.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Kith posted:

I don't think it's about looking stylish, I think it's about staying warm. It's cold as gently caress up in those parts, and hats are pretty good at keeping the wind off of you.

I don't see a fedora doing much for warmth considering it's only really covering the top of the head, especially compared to a lot of other available hats at the time like a knit cap. Not to mention the fedora basically has sails built in so the fact it didn't immediately blow off is quite impressive.

This led me down a rabbit hole of reading about hard hats and gave me this amazingly clear picture from 1942 of a construction worker wearing the first type of thermoplastic hard hat called an MSA Skullgard, invented in 1930. He seems pretty badass.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
Cripes, that looks like a stock photo from someone trying to look like an old timey blue collar worker.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Kith posted:

these AI smooth motion videos are amazing.

e,c:

LifeSunDeath fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Sep 26, 2022

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ChesterJT posted:

This led me down a rabbit hole of reading about hard hats and gave me this amazingly clear picture from 1942 of a construction worker wearing the first type of thermoplastic hard hat called an MSA Skullgard, invented in 1930. He seems pretty badass.

They still sell the same model.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Salami Surgeon posted:

Wasn't the Chrysler building famous for not having anyone die during its construction? Pretty sure that was just a happy coincidence.

Construction of tall buildings is surprisingly safe compared to doing tunnels or canals. Eiffel tower killed one worker, Empire State Building* and Sears tower each killed 5.

The original WTC in the '70s actually killed like 60 construction workers.

*Side note: during this era of NYC history, skyscraper workers were preferentially hired from the Kahnawake Mohawk community.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

BlackIronHeart posted:

Cripes, that looks like a stock photo from someone trying to look like an old timey blue collar worker.

It's not exactly surprising: the imagery those stock photos try to recreate had to be created first somehow. So you get one or two genuine articles, then people rebuilding the "feel" over and over again

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Platystemon posted:

no, I think that’s a different guy.

Popoi
Jul 23, 2000

Buce posted:

no, I think that’s a different guy.

It actually is, the helmets are surprisingly effective.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

Probably half the price of each beer is delivery cost

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Platystemon posted:

What is that composite? Bakelite and fiberglass?

HolHorsejob posted:

Probably half the price of each beer is delivery cost

Stupid question, is there some kind of concentrated beer? Not liquor, just something like beer with a higher carbonation and alcohol content, that you could then add water to and have it taste like a normal beer? Seems with all these helicopter and drone deliveries I'm seeing, it could help the logistics.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Sep 26, 2022

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Zero VGS posted:

What is that composite? Bakelite and fiberglass?

I believe that the oldest ones use linen but that they switched to fiberglass at about the time of the war. Today’s catalogs list the material as “phenolic”. Bakelite is a thermoset phenolic resin.

Here’s an old one in the Smithsonian’s collection showing the texture.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Zero VGS posted:

Stupid question, is there some kind of concentrated beer? Not liquor, just something like beer with a higher carbonation and alcohol content, that you could then add water to and have it taste like a normal beer? Seems with all these helicopter and drone deliveries I'm seeing, it could help the logistics.

Concentration Lager?

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Nenonen posted:

Concentration Lager?

:getout:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

I guess you could in theory add carbonated water to like, a tripel or a strong barleywine, but it absolutely would not taste like regular beer.