Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

hoping xi escapes his wack rear end crystal prison

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
he's not in a crystal prison, he's here:

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

stephenthinkpad posted:

Is there conspiracy that say which nuclear club country help Pakistan the most on acquiring the bomb? Also NK. I often wonder why CIA didn't accuse China of helping NK getting the bomb.

Reagan era USA for the former. Like some sloppy colonel was caught in the USA carrying material for nuclear bombs while the mujahideen were being funded.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

PhilippAchtel posted:

https://twitter.com/pradeep_indiaa/status/1573635247081521153

Is there something in the water? What is up with all these maps Balkanizing US enemies?

wishful thinking

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

bedpan posted:

my fav president for life

does his term ever expire? does he ever need to be reelected?

I think one needs to be elected before they can be reelected lol

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/JonReinsch/status/1574237150316752896

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

PhilippAchtel posted:

https://twitter.com/pradeep_indiaa/status/1573635247081521153

Is there something in the water? What is up with all these maps Balkanizing US enemies?
very soon

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

love living my life in Poorly Known Groups

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/rontkim/status/1574122012284526595

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

That was like 2 years ago.
I think we bought some pho and sushi with our gyeonggi bux.

Why is he talking as if it is still around?

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Tankbuster posted:

Reagan era USA for the former. Like some sloppy colonel was caught in the USA carrying material for nuclear bombs while the mujahideen were being funded.

Didn't the guy who started the PK nuclear program basically just use what he learned from his work around EU enrichment programs in the Netherlands (AQ Khan)

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Isentropy posted:

Didn't the guy who started the PK nuclear program basically just use what he learned from his work around EU enrichment programs in the Netherlands (AQ Khan)

IIRC the theoretical side of nuclear weapons is/was pretty much out in the open to anyone who wants to study it. Getting fissile material is the hard part but the theory part of that is also not the hard part. There's not much to really learn, I mean. The hard part is engineering the tools (centrifuges, etc) necessary and actually build them. I think Khan's legacy was yoinking the literal design documents from the euro enrichment chain/program he was working for and also making some friend who later helped supply material. Pakistan's nuclear program was already underway when he just kinda set up a meeting with Bhutto after sending some letters? He definitely did not start the Pakistan nuclear program. He did probably speed it up quite with his mad centrifuging engineering skills but it would have been just a matter of time either way. Not actually sure why he's so well known as the Pakistan nuclear founder guy.

Could be wrong though. I'm not entirely sure how difficult of a time Pakistan's program had getting material for actually setting up their enrichment process. I think there were plenty of controls on the types of electronics and other material needed, but I don't think it was anything compared to what it'd be today. Also not sure how far behind the alternative enrichment process to Khan's was. I'm pretty sure once you have the technical skills and required material coming into your nuclear program you are going to start enriching material pretty quickly without interference like having your centrifuges hacked into exploding or your scientists shot by robot murder cars.

Cuttlefush has issued a correction as of 11:32 on Sep 26, 2022

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Cuttlefush posted:

IIRC the theoretical side of nuclear weapons is/was pretty much out in the open to anyone who wants to study it. Getting fissile material is the hard part but the theory part of that is also not the hard part. There's not much to really learn, I mean. The hard part is engineering the tools (centrifuges, etc) necessary and actually build them.

I won't go into the details for reasons but being around that area, you have to have a very very high level of quality manufacturing to actually convert theory into practice. And unlike say France I don't think Pakistan had a bunch of uranium in one of their colonies.

Thanks for the info!

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Isentropy posted:

I won't go into the details for reasons but being around that area, you have to have a very very high level of quality manufacturing to actually convert theory into practice. And unlike say France I don't think Pakistan had a bunch of uranium in one of their colonies.

Thanks for the info!

It actually sounds like Pakistan did mine all their uranium domestically from low grade deposits. Or maybe they bought some from France. Or elsewhere. But allegedly they mined it all.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Skimmed a book that the official US position is that Taiwan was, past tense, pursuing a nuclear weapons program, but was convinced to drop in 1988.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
a metal gear is gonna bust out of the top of Taipei 101 and threaten to nuke idk unless the mainland agrees with unification as the ROC

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

gradenko_2000 posted:

Skimmed a book that the official US position is that Taiwan was, past tense, pursuing a nuclear weapons program, but was convinced to drop in 1988.

i mean do you really want your colonies to have nukes and then decide later that they don't want to be under the boot anymore

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

We are going to move into a decade of blaming China for global warming

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
"going to"

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

indigi posted:

"going to"

I mean specifically never shutting up about it and it being the only conversation you're allowed to have about climate change anymore

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

gradenko_2000 posted:

Yeah a Taiwanese scientist snitched the secret program to the US. 2 days after little Chiang's death, CIA went into the Taiwanese secret nuclear research facility and blew up most of the equipment, and used cement sealed off the rest. It was very convincing.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

I would like to know more about the taiwanese nuclear weapon program and its destruction

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Marzzle posted:

I would like to know more about the taiwanese nuclear weapon program and its destruction

*CIA agent who monitors this thread puts your name on a list*

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

ikanreed posted:

The list is titled "very smart dudes who want to know cool things"

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Marzzle posted:

NTI sure is an american foreign policy think tank with major biases but it is okay for a rough timeline and further reading on something like Taiwan, especially for that time period. https://www.nti.org/analysis/articles/taiwan-overview/. There are surely better sources but this is pretty short and gets into the secret nuke-makin' attempt in the second paragraph undear Nuclear.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Cuttlefush posted:

NTI sure is an american foreign policy think tank with major biases but it is okay for a rough timeline and further reading on something like Taiwan, especially for that time period. https://www.nti.org/analysis/articles/taiwan-overview/. There are surely better sources but this is pretty short and gets into the secret nuke-makin' attempt in the second paragraph undear Nuclear.

thanks i'll give it a read

ikanreed posted:

buddy...

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

i say swears online posted:

love living my life in Poorly Known Groups

i mean, they had to put all the buttrock bands somewhere

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
https://www.just-auto.com/analysis/china-fast-becoming-leading-vehicle-exporting-nation/

China fast becoming leading vehicle exporting nation

Ranked #3 behind Japan and Germany last year.

First 2 months of this year, up 75%,
about 200k vehicles per month

Gas car takes up about 85%, mostly to ASEAN, MENA, Latin America
Hybrid 11% and EV 4%, half of the EV are Tesla, mostly to Europe

Also all 3 Germany car makers opened new EV factories in China a fewmonths ago (BMW/Mercedes/Audi), this is before Putin shut off Nordstream and triggered the great exodus of Germany manufacturing.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 18:09 on Sep 26, 2022

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

are teslas made in china?

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

I guess they are

love the car

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

stephenthinkpad posted:

https://www.just-auto.com/analysis/china-fast-becoming-leading-vehicle-exporting-nation/

Ranked #3 behind Jaoan and Germany last year.

Furst 2 months of this year, up 75%,

Hybrid and EV 15%, half of the EV are Tesla, mostly to Europe

what a failed state since they aren't #1 in everything

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

stephenthinkpad posted:

I can confirm this in my personal anecdotal experience in the Middle East, within the last five years alone almost half the cars I see around me flipped hard to Chinese cars, it’s really insane how fast it happened.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

stephenthinkpad posted:

changed my mind china is bad again

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Marzzle posted:

are teslas made in china?

Tesla Shanghai produces more cars than almost all the other Tesla plants combined.

https://twitter.com/TeslaKairav/status/1566950499986849792?s=20&t=JiubW3a1vbu8rKtS24CanQ

GlassEye-Boy has issued a correction as of 18:12 on Sep 26, 2022

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
honestly the chinese are doing the west a favour by providing mobile self-immolation devices for the worst people in it

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
lol the only way I’m gonna see Chinese cars in the USA is if they build plants here or Mexico to export here.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Cerebral Bore posted:

honestly the chinese are doing the west a favour by providing mobile self-immolation devices for the worst people in it

Hopefully Chinese Tesla's will start using BYD blade batteries, basically can't catch those things on fire.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

sonatinas posted:

lol the only way I’m gonna see Chinese cars in the USA is if they build plants here or Mexico to export here.

I think American car companies will absolutely lobby to go full protectionist and ban any sizable entry for Chinese cars

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord
do chinese teslas have the same trim and body issues that american ones do? they're inherently hosed up tinderboxes waiting to go off but i always assumed that the problems they have with properly installing the bumper was because their american factories are constantly in fear of a bloated afrikaaner firing everyone because he walked in and saw someone taking too long setting a rivet or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I think the US market goes like this, if a market has decent Korean products, the Korean brands will take over all the potential market share of the Chinese brands. Like in the phone market or the car market. However if Samsung and LG don't make stuff in a smaller consumer appliance market, then you see the Chinese brands compete fairly.

I have never seen a Chinese car in the US, not even custom import conversion like those old R32 Skyline.