Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Scratch Monkey posted:

When head gaskets blow the mixture is usually like mayo, so I’m guessing he just accidentally (?) filled the engine with coolant instead of oil? Maybe the radiator is full of 10w30

"Milkshake" is an unstable colloid. All you have to do it let it sit for a few hours and it separates back out with coolant on the bottom and oil on the top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Motronic, your new avatar is priceless.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
https://www.blick.ch/schweiz/im-entscheidenden-moment-basler-polizei-steckt-bei-verfolgungsjagd-im-tesla-fest-id17901057.html

quote:

Basel police stuck in Tesla car chase

In Basel, the police wanted to stop two cyclists. The two fled and a chase ensued. At the crucial moment, the police officers could not get out of the Tesla - because the doors of the vehicle were stuck.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

My interpretation of that article is that there was some kind of time delay between stopping and enabling the doors electrically to allow them to jump out, and it was far too long for a police vehicle. The article says they use the manual override now in emergencies.

I still don't know how this ever got approved as safe by the DOT, or accepted by customers. I know I go on and on with how much I love Volvos but there are entire articles written about how serious Volvo is about making sure you can get the gently caress out of the car when you need to, in particular after a crash. They put a lot of work in to making sure the doors stay shut through a wreck and then open on command. And I've worked on a lot of wrecked Volvos, and it's very rare that the door doesn't open when you pull the lever.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

It's almost like a mechanical handle for opening the doors on a vehicle is a very good idea.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

An intuitive and easily accessible manual handle. A manual handle is significantly less useful if it's behind the speaker grill or requires a secret handshake to use.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Darchangel posted:

It's almost like a mechanical handle for opening the doors on a vehicle is a very good idea.

imagine if the FAA just decided there would be no regulation of egress from a plane

guess which of these two vehicle types is more likely to crash in it's lifespan

lol, lmao

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Galler posted:

An intuitive and easily accessible manual handle. A manual handle is significantly less useful if it's behind the speaker grill or requires a secret handshake to use.

Sorry, you're right: that was implied, but should have been stated.

BraveUlysses posted:

imagine if the FAA just decided there would be no regulation of egress from a plane

guess which of these two vehicle types is more likely to crash in it's lifespan

lol, lmao

I know, right?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Darchangel posted:

A mechanical handle? like off of a toilet?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Powershift posted:

Is that a riff off of "Idiocracy"? Because if it is, I respect that.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

...when your car is simply too big.

https://twitter.com/SpeedSportLife/status/1574105069770854400?t=cP13QcqD5DbCqBIXprIfoQ&s=19

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Could definitely use that when pulling into my short garage

I guess I could also get by with a hung tennis ball. Eh, hopefully will be buying a house and moving within a year.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Caddies now coming with assault rifle cameras eh? When will the violence stop?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Perfect opportunity to bust out a website I came across a while ago.

lol.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Christ, that's ridiculous.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

loving hell.

I am so glad such a vehicle is literally too large to use in the UK.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Of course they didn't have a Scirocco, my poor forgotten VW. Its built on the A1 chassis though so close enough. The hood would completely hide my roof being shorter than the Golf sweet holy Moses.

Cool find though, gonna waste some serious time on car size curiosity now.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

That site is kinda neat.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Lol a.smart car fits between the tires of the escalade.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
the site brags about having stuff back to 1908, but they don't have any of mine. lame

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST

If these trends continue they might as well do away with windscreens all together only giving the driver a virtual window to look through.
Behold the truck of tomorrow.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Powershift posted:

That site is kinda neat.

Oh wow so we're just catching up to peak barge now?

Although having seen an Escalade IRL (even a few here in Europe), the side view doesn't even do it justice. The difference in volume is even more ridiculous.

e:

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Sep 26, 2022

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

mobby_6kl posted:

Oh wow so we're just catching up to peak barge now?

Although having seen an Escalade IRL (even a few here in Europe), the side view doesn't even do it justice. The difference in volume is even more ridiculous.

e:

man, those parking spaces are bullshit

thats even worse than this crap i had to deal with in college:

i didnt park in that lot very often; one of the few times it was actually less hassle to just parallel park out on the street

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Powershift posted:

My toilet has push buttons :smug:

Tesla should make toilets with automatic lids and flushing via smart phone

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

My toilet has push buttons :smug:

Tesla should make toilets with automatic lids and flushing via smart phone

They'd be a decade too late.

https://www.cnet.com/culture/flush-with-your-smartphone-toilets-get-bluetooth/

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

Raluek posted:

the site brags about having stuff back to 1908, but they don't have any of mine. lame

Right? My car’s from the 90s and was one of the makers most successful models ever.

Literal internet of poo poo

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Raluek posted:

I emailed the info@site to see if I could help getting a few models added

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Is this your photo ? Where is it? Looks like rural Suffolk

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

coldpudding posted:

If these trends continue they might as well do away with windscreens all together only giving the driver a virtual window to look through.

All I want is a truck with a decent, easy to work on engine, and a minimum amount of computers, and a stereo I can upgrade with anything I want from crutchfield.

The closest I can find is anything 15 years old apparently

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

nitrogen posted:

All I want is a truck with a decent, easy to work on engine, and a minimum amount of computers, and a stereo I can upgrade with anything I want from crutchfield.

I’m surprised it’s that young, honestly.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

knox_harrington posted:

Is this your photo ? Where is it? Looks like rural Suffolk

That looks like the Car Pervert

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQI_9dOL-l8

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

nitrogen posted:

Cars that are easy to work on are getting rare

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Doesn't a car that's 'easy to work on' imply inefficiency in several directions, i.e. an engine bay way bigger than it needs to be, no complex or computerized emissions or fuel efficiency systems, etc?

My first car was an 87 Ram and it was dead easy to work on. A grown man could crawl into the engine bay and shut the hood without moving anything, easily. And it broke down all the time and got about 8 mpg. Meanwhile one of my current cars you have to remove the battery to change a headlight and yet it's never left me stranded anywhere and gets 30mpg.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

Imagined posted:

Doesn't a car that's 'easy to work on' imply inefficiency in several directions, i.e. an engine bay way bigger than it needs to be, no complex or computerized emissions or fuel efficiency systems, etc?

To a degree. My "easy to work on" car has an ECU and ignition computer as well as relatively modern MPFI, but it's not aerodynamic in any sense and the engine bay is cavernous. The end result is that it has ok fuel efficiency but almost nothing that can break is impossible to get to and replace.

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST

nitrogen posted:

"Did you say you wanted a vehicle built like the latest iphone with parts DRM and glued security screws everywhere because that's what I'm hearing"
Car company CEO

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Everybody wants to move up-market, and that means burying the heater core behind 3000 fragile plastic bits, with the first step in replacement is to yard sard the whole interior.

You should be able to fit a mattress under the hood of a 2.7 Silverado but instead it looks like this.

That's a full size truck with a 4 cylinder engine.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

coldpudding posted:

It's wearing a truck-sized oculus! :3:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

From the comments:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Powershift posted:

Everybody wants to move up-market, and that means burying the heater core behind 3000 fragile plastic bits, with the first step in replacement is to yard sard the whole interior.

You should be able to fit a mattress under the hood of a 2.7 Silverado but instead it looks like this.

That's a full size truck with a 4 cylinder engine.

That's insane given how stupidly large the front end of those things are.