Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Hmm that does look like it matches up as using a measuring tape it comes up as a 7. Which matches where I'd put it on the sport band.

So I guess I should go for a 6 as with the sport band I can go one notch less but it's just slightly less comfortable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
If you're anywhere near an Apple Store I'd recommend going in to get sized for the right band just to save time in case you end up ordering the wrong size.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I just realised that I actually might be able to go to one on the weekend, as I’m actually gonna be in the centre of town for the first time in a few years.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I was at a store this weekend and got to play with the solo loops and (just now) tried the band size measuring tool. In the store they just had size 5 on the demo table that felt just a bit loose. Enough that I felt at the time a 4 should be snug enough. Sure enough, the tool points exactly towards the line between 5 and 4 which the guide says to pick the smaller number.

That said hot loving drat $100 for the braided solo loop is wild.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Band prices are ridiculous. The Ultra's trail loop is almost the same thing as the sport loop, except for an additional pull tab. The additional 50 bux are for titanium inserts.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Combat Pretzel posted:

Band prices are ridiculous. The Ultra's trail loop is almost the same thing as the sport loop, except for an additional pull tab. The additional 50 bux are for titanium inserts.

Using a titanium insert in a steel or aluminium watch is going to eventually ruin the dovetails in the case, so i would suggest waiting for clones that use softer metals if you have conventional watches.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

SlowBloke posted:

so i would suggest waiting for clones that use softer metals if you have conventional watches.

YMMV but I've yet to find a knock off that feels as good as the official ones.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Sorry losers, noted watch nerd John Mayer has come praising the Ultra. He's actually a tastemaker in the watch world and has worked with Hodinkee several times.

https://www.gq.com/story/john-mayer-apple-watch-ultra-review/amp

Edit: A little more background from MacRumors about Mayer if yo rear end didn't know:

quote:

Grammy award winner Mayer is considered the watch world's most influential collector, and is responsible for single-handedly spiking the value of individual watches he is spotted wearing in public, and of those he writes about in his column for horology website Hodinkee.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Really not sure if I should be surprised or not

That’s a decent discount

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
So has anyone figured out yet if the 8's temperature sensor is at all useful for the male gender?

My teenaged nephew's old Apple Watch doesn't seem to work anymore, so I've been contemplating getting a new one and giving him my 6.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

Small White Dragon posted:

So has anyone figured out yet if the 8's temperature sensor is at all useful for the male gender?

If you have a period it should be useful

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

dc3k posted:

not great for mountain biking unfortunately

Can't you get gloves with capacitive touch? Seems like it's a common feature accord to this listicle.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I would expect the temperature sensor becomes useful for detecting a flu, but on the other hand by the time you're running a fever you've got a mountain of other symptoms so who cares if your watch notices.

Maybe it'll get used to generate alerts for heat exhaustion once they can teach an AI how to parse it.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Small White Dragon posted:

Probably folks need to collect some data first to see whether things can be correlated. I got a Covid vaccine and hoped for a temperature spike (err, because...), but I'll never know. Is it a reaction to the vaccine the day before, or due to recovering from a mountain bike tour on the day itself?

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I got an Apple Watch 8 45 alu-silver blue solo band today as a gift and opening the box was a mindbending exercise.

Now to go back and watch the original John Ivory video where he talks softly about intention and the sphort band.

I’m amazed I can type in wee messenger.

So much novelty to wear off at varying speeds.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

what

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Does sleep tracking only work if sleep focus is on?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Pants Donkey posted:

Does sleep tracking only work if sleep focus is on?

No, I have that turned off and seems ok

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Toe Rag posted:

Can't you get gloves with capacitive touch? Seems like it's a common feature accord to this listicle.

from my original comment: "my biking gloves dont work well on the watch for some reason (work fine on a phone)"

i dunno what it is with the watch's touch screen. it's super finnicky/inconsistent. same issue on my s4 and s8.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I commute by bike everyday and cycle for fun every other day and I don’t think I’ve touched my watch once in that time.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Any good actual fast charging third party cables that are preferably longer than 1m? I have a couple of 20w bricks laying around but I'd prefer a longer cable than the one Apple has with the watch.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Maneki Neko posted:

No, I have that turned off and seems ok
i have it off during the weekends and both Saturday and Sunday it didn’t have any data. Sunday night, when I have it back on, Health app had data like normal

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Pants Donkey posted:

i have it off during the weekends and both Saturday and Sunday it didn’t have any data. Sunday night, when I have it back on, Health app had data like normal

Weird, I have noticed that I don't get sleep data until I click yes on the "IT LOOKS LIKE YOU'RE UP" prompt on the watch but otherwise seems fine.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

MarcusSA posted:

Huge ymmv but might be worth a check

https://slickdeals.net/f/16059949-ymmv-staples-weekly-ad-has-apple-watch-se-40mm-for-129-44mm-for-159-also-series-7-45mm-for-279?v=1

Just Best Buy them price match a 45mm Starlight for my wife. Actually adjusted it for $10 more so getting it for $270.

Over the chat, I requested a price match and I made sure not to provide a link but simply say to go to staples.com, go to the weekly ad, and it's on page 8. They took care of the rest.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

TraderStav posted:

https://slickdeals.net/f/16059949-ymmv-staples-weekly-ad-has-apple-watch-se-40mm-for-129-44mm-for-159-also-series-7-45mm-for-279?v=1

Just Best Buy them price match a 45mm Starlight for my wife. Actually adjusted it for $10 more so getting it for $270.

Over the chat, I requested a price match and I made sure not to provide a link but simply say to go to staples.com, go to the weekly ad, and it's on page 8. They took care of the rest.

Nice! Probably the best deal you’ll find on a 7 so get it while you can.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I wish the native heart rate graph complication had a sliding window mode and also color the dots/bars based on heart rate zones set on the watch.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

Nice! Probably the best deal you’ll find on a 7 so get it while you can.

Apparently best Buy is not checking orders well so people are getting the SE2 for $129.. ymmv

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I would like Apple to add the option for some sort of sound to the watch is charged notification.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

Can the ultra work with no cellular plan? If I get it and just don't activate the cell part, can I just use it like a normal wifi only watch. I have never needed cellular as my phone is always close.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

badjohny posted:

Can the ultra work with no cellular plan? If I get it and just don't activate the cell part, can I just use it like a normal wifi only watch. I have never needed cellular as my phone is always close.

yeah, just skip the cellular setup and its fine

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

badjohny posted:

Yep

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

badjohny posted:

Yes, as already said. But IIRC you can still dial emergency services without a cell plan (e.g. calling 911 in the US should still work; may be country-dependent), in the outside event that’s ever important.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Took my SS S4 to the Genius Bar today in hopes of exchanging the battery for the $80 or whatever. Prior to WatchOS9 it was showing 77% and to service the battery. As many here noted, after the update it magically was showing 83%. The life throughout the day has not changed so I figured to take it in. Since it's above 80%, Apple will charge me $399 to replace the battery, so now I have to wait until this thing degrades more mathematically, despite in the real world it's unchanged.

Just something to be aware of if you were in my shoes. Guess the play would've been to get it serviced before the OS dropped.

Anything notable to run this thing down? Keep it on the charger 24/7? I picked up a S7 so that's what I'm primarily wearing right now and was going to keep the SS to mix it up, but maybe need to alternate to get more use out of it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's drain/charge cycles that wear the battery out, so the only way to get that percentage down is use the watch normally. I guess leave it tracking gps all day to get it dead asap?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

xzzy posted:

It's drain/charge cycles that wear the battery out, so the only way to get that percentage down is use the watch normally. I guess leave it tracking gps all day to get it dead asap?

Mission understood, thanks!

e: Gonna give it to my 14 year old to wear around like crazy

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(
Managed to get a Series 8 41mm for $249 and SE2 40mm for $129 from Best Buy price matching that Staples ad. Sorta wild.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

grahm posted:

Managed to get a Series 8 41mm for $249 and SE2 40mm for $129 from Best Buy price matching that Staples ad. Sorta wild.

How in the world did you get an 8?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

How in the world did you get an 8?

like most fun price matching shenanigans, lucked out on who responds to your customer service request.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Oh Jesus, sorry if this has been posted and is well known.

I upgraded my phone to the 14 Pro today and everything was largely painless but I just couldn’t get my watch to connect to it and it would vibrate a ton and the app would just be like “sorry!”.

Turns out the blocker was the fact that I never opened the health app and confirmed my details.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

TraderStav posted:

Took my SS S4 to the Genius Bar today in hopes of exchanging the battery for the $80 or whatever. Prior to WatchOS9 it was showing 77% and to service the battery. As many here noted, after the update it magically was showing 83%. The life throughout the day has not changed so I figured to take it in. Since it's above 80%, Apple will charge me $399 to replace the battery, so now I have to wait until this thing degrades more mathematically, despite in the real world it's unchanged.

Just something to be aware of if you were in my shoes. Guess the play would've been to get it serviced before the OS dropped.

Anything notable to run this thing down? Keep it on the charger 24/7? I picked up a S7 so that's what I'm primarily wearing right now and was going to keep the SS to mix it up, but maybe need to alternate to get more use out of it.

Huh, that’s weird. Is this because you have AppleCare+? Why does Apple have two rates for this?

I might skip updating to watchOS 16 in case mine pulls the same trick.