Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Greg Legg posted:

Our soon to be 5 year old LOVES that movie and anything with monsters. I'm not sure what he would have thought at 3. I'm debating if I want him to watch any of the Simpsons Halloween episodes.

Yeah i thought she might be ready because she's generally not very scared of monster type stuff. One of her favorite toys is a Hancock funkopop and she loves sharks so much she once chose a comic book about real life shark attacks at the book store (we checked and it wasn't graphic or gory). Until Nightmare Before Christmas the only thing she was too scared to watch was an animated video of Spamton from Deltarune, which was unexpected and kind of funny (but i turned it off of course).

I'm looking forward to when she starts talking regularly so i can ask her about things like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
TBF spamton is a little unnerving as an adult so I'd imagine as a kiddo it's worse

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Yeah i had figured he was unnerving in ways that would mostly affect adults and that maybe kids wouldn't be affected as much but i guess i was wrong lol

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Atrocious vibes that even younglings can detect

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Btw Pete the Cat and his whole crew are definitely stoners

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

struggling to think of any possible reason a kid who never leaves the basement needs with a cell phone.

to call for help, it would seem

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

yeah covid obliterated any sense of screen time moderation for us. it's impossible to reel it back in it seems.

same.

in fact mine is downstairs right now with cellphone, Switch for splatoon 3, and laptop open all at once.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

pete is so high. dude cant even avoid stepping in every foreign substance in town

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

I do a fair amount of solo parenting while wifey works late or sleeps in and I do not know how you’d avoid screentime in situations like making dinner, or doing any chore other than cleaning, which they can participate in.

I want to get one of those kitchen stepstools so she can participate in cooking, but I’m not positive it’d hold her attention for super long, and we’re about to have another anyways, so like what the gently caress can I do in a situation like that. I do admit this is the path of least resistance, which is all I’m capable of some nights.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Chad Sexington posted:

Got the bill for our five-week NICU stay: $340,000 before insurance.

Now to resume the hunt for daycare that will cost $1,500-$2,000 a month and won't have infant slots open until next August.

Why don't more people have kids?

god drat america

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Dreylad posted:

god drat america

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

meanolmrcloud posted:

I do not know how you’d avoid screentime in situations like making dinner, or doing any chore other than cleaning, which they can participate in.

It helps to have a stockpile of activities that only come out when you need to occupy their attention for a bit.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

PerniciousKnid posted:

It helps to have a stockpile of activities that only come out when you need to occupy their attention for a bit.

special toys or activities are great for stuff where you need to occupy yourself with something other than kiddo

I keep toys I know he likes in my car for that purpose

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

PerniciousKnid posted:

yea, this is basically what the tv already is. I’m ok with some educationally-oriented screentime. baby isn’t even 2, so most things can hold her attention while I make dinner.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

Chad Sexington posted:

Got the bill for our five-week NICU stay: $340,000 before insurance.

So how does this work in America? Are you financially ruined for life? I don't have remotely near this amount of money available.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

AgentF posted:

So how does this work in America? Are you financially ruined for life? I don't have remotely near this amount of money available.

insurance pays it and you pay a fraction called a deductible or whatever

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Pete the cat and his magic sunglasses is hard to read as being about anything other than drugs

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Can somebody tell me how old Pete the Cat is supposed to be?

like, my mom got us a box set of them for my daughter's birthday and in one book he's on a world tour with his band and in another book he goes to the library for the first time. In another book he goes on a class trip to a firehouse, and they let him honk the horn on the fire truck, and then there's a fire, and they let him go with them to help put it out (nobody else in his class goes???) It feels like dream logic in a book

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Pete the Cat sucks but I actually quite like Little Blue Truck (the holiday ones are phoned-in moneygrabs ofc)

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Shockingly, the Pete the Cat tv show on prime is oddly watchable. Decent singing/music, the plots are actually kinda funny, fine lessons for kids.

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽

meanolmrcloud posted:

I do a fair amount of solo parenting while wifey works late or sleeps in and I do not know how you’d avoid screentime in situations like making dinner, or doing any chore other than cleaning, which they can participate in.

I want to get one of those kitchen stepstools so she can participate in cooking, but I’m not positive it’d hold her attention for super long, and we’re about to have another anyways, so like what the gently caress can I do in a situation like that. I do admit this is the path of least resistance, which is all I’m capable of some nights.

Kids helping cook is a+ #1 parenting and it helps them get into foods that they may be picky about otherwise. There is always something they can help with, even if it's just with some of the ingredients. And baby can just jump in a bouncer, or sit in highchair when old enough. If the kid gets bored they run away and then find their way back cause kids love activities

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

AgentF posted:

You have a maximum amount you have to pay out of pocket in a given year. It's capped at the individual and family level. The worse your insurance is, the higher the cap. If you're poor enough, you might be eligible for government coverage under Medicaid.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

silvergoose posted:

Shockingly, the Pete the Cat tv show on prime is oddly watchable. Decent singing/music, the plots are actually kinda funny, fine lessons for kids.

The show is infinitely better than the books.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

my kid loves the pete the cat books but wants nothing to do with the show, utterly baffling

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

Chad Sexington posted:

You have a maximum amount you have to pay out of pocket in a given year. It's capped at the individual and family level. The worse your insurance is, the higher the cap. If you're poor enough, you might be eligible for government coverage under Medicaid.

It's worth noting that the original $300k is a fake amount, and the insurance company or Medicare/Medicaid will not be paying that either. It will be negotiated, and if the hospital refuses to negotiate it to a reasonable amount, the insurance company will stop including it in their network of insured care providers. What happens if the hospital you end up at is already out of your insurance's network? Oh haha, well,

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

silvergoose posted:

MacheteZombie posted:

The show is infinitely better than the books.

have reported this to my wife and she said "there is nothing on earth that will make me actively seek out more pete the cat" which is also fair

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

loquacius posted:

have reported this to my wife and she said "there is nothing on earth that will make me actively seek out more pete the cat" which is also fair

That is completely fair, yes.

Also shockingly good and would have no judgement in someone saying "oh god gently caress no": the If You Give A Mouse A Cookie tv show

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

loquacius posted:

In another book he goes on a class trip to a firehouse, and they let him honk the horn on the fire truck

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

AxGrap posted:

Kids helping cook is a+ #1 parenting and it helps them get into foods that they may be picky about otherwise. There is always something they can help with, even if it's just with some of the ingredients. And baby can just jump in a bouncer, or sit in highchair when old enough. If the kid gets bored they run away and then find their way back cause kids love activities

Agreed absolutely, but it sure takes effort both to motivate them to join in and to help them helping you. And it's no guarantee that they will eat the stuff. Yesterday, I helped the little guy cut drive thyme in the garden, he enthusiastically tried it and liked it, then he picked out all the spices for the chili sin carne sin chili (for want of a better name) and didn't even touch it.

I also recommend baking. Knäckebröd has recently been a favourite here, not least because my kid really likes measuring everything, and it has a fair few ingredients to weigh. It also works decently for cookie cutters, which is always a fun activity.
But cake and bread is also cool and good.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

he just loves his shoes no matter the color

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
personally I love Pete the Cat because my kid loves it so much she wants me to read it all the time and wants to watch it, and it's great to see her so interested in something. It's also been a gateway to her speaking more often, though not fluent conversations yet, mainly just playing games with the story structure (replacing Pete with her name, changing the situations to be relevant to her, asking her different questions, etc)

I haven't come across a children's property yet that I feel frustrated or done with hearing about, but it seems like that's a semi-common parenting experience. What's the reasons y'all get burned out on certain things, is it the kids asking for it constantly, and/or something else?

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

I haven't come across a children's property yet that I feel frustrated or done with hearing about, but it seems like that's a semi-common parenting experience. What's the reasons y'all get burned out on certain things, is it the kids asking for it constantly, and/or something else?

it overstays its welcome such as Pinkfong and cocomelon.

now my 6 yr old likes more serialized shows so I’m now like 25 years late knowing a poo poo load about Pokémon (tv only and we read this big book together) and loves ninjago which to my surprise it’s an involved show full of all sorts of stuff that you would see in prestige adult shows.

but at that toddler stage you gonna wonder when the baby shark phase is ever going to end…

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Yeah that makes sense. I guess one of the minor upsides of my kid not speaking much is that she's basically okay with anything we put on. Sometimes she'll ask for Pinkfong or baby shark (and she'll start pointing with increasing insistence and going "This one! this one!" But if we put something else on she's okay with it, as long as it's one of the many other things she likes. Luckily her tastes are pretty broad so I can often put on one of the many piano youtube channels and just let that autoplay. She likes the ones where you can see the pianist's hands + the midi roll at the same time, and those videos will usually get her to start doing other activities while the music plays in the background.

She hasn't started strongly asserting her TV preferences yet, so that's pretty easy to manage, for now anyway

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

There are certain books that one of our relatives get that we just think suck for various reasons (Pete the Cat is one of these), Corduroy is too loving long compared to every other bedtime book, Cocomelon rots your brain, etc, but the vast majority of stuff can be quietly retired if you don't like it.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

loquacius posted:

the vast majority of stuff can be quietly retired if you don't like it.

very much true.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

https://twitter.com/WalmartInc/status/1574400510806859777

dystopia's a bitch then you die

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

kid can now basically swing herself so one less dad job lets go