Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
lol if my faith is actually rewarded

sorry kokomi, sorry venti, sorry literally all of 3.1 new characters, new archon is always too worth it to not hold for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Genshin's development seems way leakier than other games I've played. What's up with that? Do they send out their betas in some insecure way? Do they not enforce their NDAs?

Are Chinese netizens just way too good at escaping that kind of control?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

It's kind of an inevitable thing when they have relatively largish playerbase and players have ample motivation to know stuff well ahead of time to plan purchases. Mihoyo's absolutely sued people for leaking before and do all the usual tricks to sniff them out (watermarked screenshots, keeping track of every location visited and damage done and when to narrow it down, etc)

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

It usually also depends on the severity of the leaks, which is why leakers usually refuse to post specific details or character designs until it's close to the next beta (if they aren't already in the game, anyway)- it's a legal grey area but them looking at fanart and going 'hmmm this COULD be similar' is shaky enough that it probably wouldn't be worth it to threaten legal action. (Not to mention that leaks do build hype considerably, which is why HYV started revealing the next patch's characters a few days before the beta dropped because they knew footage/designs were gonna leak regardless)

Another gacha I'm involved with had a similar situation where one guy was datamining the game (was pretty much the only one doing it and posting about it, its a smaller game) to get the actual numbers for everything, to sift through the code to figure out damage formulas and whatnot, and the dev studio (which is a smaller studio compared to companies like HYV, by far) privately reached out and said 'hey man we're cool with you using this to just get info on the game itself but can you stop posting content/units that aren't coming any time soon this is actually hurting our business because people are intentionally skipping units that are standard pool' and the guy was like 'yeah i can do that, sorry', and now he's one of the primary sources when it comes to breaking down the mechanical nitty-gritty of new characters/skills/etc because they didn't shut him down completely, just limited what he was allowed/not allowed to post.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Hmm, I didn't expect to see Howie Mandel dancing with Klee today, but okay
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7145167639449472298

Also he looks like there's a gun pointed at him from offscreen

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
I wanted to try and get to Inazuma shortly after the Liyue boss like the above poster because I’ve got a couple characters that need materials from the bloody islands and are stuck low level.

What’s actually happened is I’m exploring the depths of the chasm and absolutely loving it. Way bigger than I expected. Think I’m just a big caves fan in general. I’ll get to Inazuma one day maybe.

Or not because they keep adding large expansions to the overworld that aren’t quest locked

sandorius
Nov 13, 2013
Speaking of leaks, drip marketing hath arrived - the official Genshin Impact twitter has released the gacha art for the upcoming 3.2 characters. We've officially moved out of the era of dubious fanart based on the vaguest descriptions possible, and can look forward to seeing their kits in a few days once the closed beta starts.

Nahida
https://twitter.com/GenshinImpact/status/1574341914215718913?cxt=HHwWgoCx_abol9krAAAA
Layla
https://twitter.com/GenshinImpact/status/1574341101988757505?cxt=HHwWgoCytYO5l9krAAAA

Oh man, I really want to roll for Layla now.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
layla can go on my sleepy team with sayu

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Real Cool Catfish posted:

I wanted to try and get to Inazuma shortly after the Liyue boss like the above poster because I’ve got a couple characters that need materials from the bloody islands and are stuck low level.

What’s actually happened is I’m exploring the depths of the chasm and absolutely loving it. Way bigger than I expected. Think I’m just a big caves fan in general. I’ll get to Inazuma one day maybe.

Or not because they keep adding large expansions to the overworld that aren’t quest locked

You're better off doing what's fun, or time limited, then do inazuma bit by bit when you want a change of pace. As I mentioned if you rush to Inazuma thinking you can finally ascend your Inazuma characters you'll be pretty aggravated by the way you actually have a few more hours before you can get access to those mats.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Reading about Nahida's leaked kit, I don't think I'm going to understand exactly what her E is about until I see it in a video. The leaks say it's like the Fayz Trial camera but without the time stop? What determines what kind of reactions happen? How does it fit into just general gameplay? I can understand it intellectually but it's hard to imagine how it will flow in actual gameplay.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I think the Kenki, Array, the Hypos, and Wolflord are available as soon as you finish Ritou. The duo and the manifestation have prerequisites though.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Sep 26, 2022

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Eimi posted:

I hope they're on Nilou's because I'm going for her sword since it looks like her with and without the sword is pretty stark. They would be very nice bonsuses to grab. But also never expect anything but pain and misery from weapon banner so probably on Cyno's even though she was wielding the 4 star instead of her 5 star in the trailer.

This was a while back, but it looks like this is going to be the case. The new EM sword isn't on the first 3.1 banner.

Also leaks say the second banner will have Jade Cutter alongside Nilou's sword so lol I guess they will run two 5* swords together. Gonna be a dangerous weapon banner for anyone not also getting Nilou.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

Harrow posted:

Reading about Nahida's leaked kit, I don't think I'm going to understand exactly what her E is about until I see it in a video. The leaks say it's like the Fayz Trial camera but without the time stop? What determines what kind of reactions happen? How does it fit into just general gameplay? I can understand it intellectually but it's hard to imagine how it will flow in actual gameplay.

It's probably just like an aimed shot you would do with a bow.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

No Wave posted:

I think the Kenki, Array, the Hypos, and Wolflord are available as soon as you finish Ritou. The duo and the manifestation have prerequisites though.
After Ritou, Kenki, Wolflord, and both hypos you just need to sail to yeah. Array is a little wonky before quests and they'd need to look up the path to get there -Though once you know it isn't bad.

Pearls, sakura petals, naku weed, and beetles all have some sources as soon as you're out of Ritou -even if it's just hopping in your boat and sailing. It's still kind of funny to me that Thoma's gatherable resource is locked the furthest behind quests out of the Inazuma characters I unlocked, since he's one of the more underwhelming.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

BoldFace posted:

It's probably just like an aimed shot you would do with a bow.

Yeah, it sounds like it's just an awkward 1st person aiming skill. You aim, fire, and hit them with a Dendro attack (applying Dendro) except it's framed as a camera instead of a bow. And then when a reaction happens they take a 2nd hit. I don't doubt it's powerful, but it sounds annoying to use, tbh.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Clarste posted:

Yeah, it sounds like it's just an awkward 1st person aiming skill. You aim, fire, and hit them with a Dendro attack (applying Dendro) except it's framed as a camera instead of a bow. And then when a reaction happens they take a 2nd hit. I don't doubt it's powerful, but it sounds annoying to use, tbh.

It might be okay if it just multi-locks on quickly and the gimmick requires you to position yourself so as many enemies are on screen as possible when you go into first person mode.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I mean who the gently caress knows what the game camera is doing at any given moment.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

Is it possible to get all the Aranara chests? From what I can tell, I was only able to unlock like 5 or 6 of them, which seems really weird; I can't imagine that it's actually the case that I've only found less than half of them. I still occasionally find stuff in the overworld, but it's reached the point that it's very rare. My exploration % is 80-95% in every Sumeru zone (except Lost Nursery; I should probably search around there some, only at 62%).

edit: Oh gently caress yes, just noticed this next banner actually has two 4*s I really want.

there are a total of 76 aranaras to find, 12 of which offer you to play a game (which don't count for the room chests because they reward their own)

if you get all 64 of the other aranaras you can open every single chest in that room. IIRC The very last aranara unlocks the middle 3 (Exquisite X 2 + Luxurious)

Kale
May 14, 2010

Garrand posted:

Hmm, I didn't expect to see Howie Mandel dancing with Klee today, but okay
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7145167639449472298

Also he looks like there's a gun pointed at him from offscreen

Mihoyo putting in some social media viral marketing I guess. I always assume these viral videos are started by the selling agency itself.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Harrow posted:

This was a while back, but it looks like this is going to be the case. The new EM sword isn't on the first 3.1 banner.

Also leaks say the second banner will have Jade Cutter alongside Nilou's sword so lol I guess they will run two 5* swords together. Gonna be a dangerous weapon banner for anyone not also getting Nilou.

Jade Cutter would be a nice prize if I whiff, Keching could use it. Or any of the other swordies I have and like. I really like swords.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Eimi posted:

Jade Cutter would be a nice prize if I whiff, Keching could use it. Or any of the other swordies I have and like. I really like swords.

Yeah I'm extremely tempted just because Jade Cutter seems like at least the second-best option for anyone who can use a sword just because it has a ton of crit and a universally-good passive. But I'm also not going to be pulling for Nilou so there's a big landmine on that banner...

Still, I want that 4* EM sword very very badly so I was going to be doing some pulls on that banner anyway.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

It's ok JC gives 20% HP. So it's totally her second best weapon.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah that weapon banner is a big gigantic gift for any Nilou wanters/soon-to-be havers. Both of the weapons on it are going to be great for her.

Looking back, assuming the leak is accurate, this will be the first time that could ever happen, mostly because it's the first time both featured 5* weapons are the same weapon type.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Clarste posted:

I mean who the gently caress knows what the game camera is doing at any given moment.

I really wish the devs would implement native gyro support on PC already. I can either have decent controller controls at the cost of being able to use archers for their intended purpose, or I can use archers on my controller at the cost of menus being awkward as gently caress to navigate, but I can't have both at the moment.

no, i cannot get used to just regular keyboard+mouse for an open-world action-rpg, that would be too easy or sane

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

would love a jade cutter but I gotta save up for 3.2

:sigh:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Harrow posted:

Yeah that weapon banner is a big gigantic gift for any Nilou wanters/soon-to-be havers. Both of the weapons on it are going to be great for her.

Looking back, assuming the leak is accurate, this will be the first time that could ever happen, mostly because it's the first time both featured 5* weapons are the same weapon type.

Maybe it's to try and tempt people to roll on it since Nilou's sword is insanely niche.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!
Good lord grinding for Artifacts continues to suck and is the biggest thing I wish they'd fix as I really hate having to interact with this part of the game as it's just so anti fun compared to the rest. I don't care about the substats, just give me a loving crit rate circlet in the husk set. Honest to god at this point I'd buy one if that option were available. Time to do something else before I get even more tilted.

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy

Eimi posted:

Maybe it's to try and tempt people to roll on it since Nilou's sword is insanely niche.

Plus anyone hoping to get a jade cutter and getting Nilou's sword instead will immediately want to go for Nilou. Clever.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Playing more Honkai Impact 3 yesterday it just has a massive number of currencies like a more typical gacha game to the point where it's just kind of overwhelming and off putting really. I was going through random menus with icons showing they needed attention since the last time I played and it was just dropping random stuff on me left and right that is very specifically tailored to some special shop sort of function like a returnee one or battle pass one. Then there's like these fragment things for specific character unlocks. B-Chips seem to be the main currency you would purchase and then that can be exchanged for various other things. It's just a bit much, and then I look at the actual Open World game and Yae Sakura is floating several inches above the ground at all times and it just really doesn't feel very polished or like it's even the same company making the game. I guess my expectations for it were a little high after Genshin, but I find myself more interested in the actual Honkai story than playing the game itself after a few sessions of it just throwing so much ever loving loving poo poo at me to keep track of and and just not getting a very good impression off the gameplay itself when it's actually letting me play it instead of pulling a new currency or monetization system out of it's rear end every 5-10 minutes like a standard gacha title. Basically a lot of the things that put me off games like Fire Emblem Heroes and where Genshin won me over by putting the emphasis on exploration, characterization and lore as opposed to banners and confusing menu and item systems.

I'll give it a few more whirls, but maybe I'll just find videos of the story stuff on youtube and continue to experience it that way like I did with the visual novel, animated PV, and manga stuff.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

ExtrudeAlongCurve posted:

Plus anyone hoping to get a jade cutter and getting Nilou's sword instead will immediately want to go for Nilou. Clever.
Jade cutter has the added bonus of potentially nudging you towards Nahida's C2, blooms can crit, no idea whose crit it scales off of if leaks are to be believed.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I rolled for the best possible weapon outside of Homa

it's not remotely worth it over a new 5 star or a powerful constellation unless you just have excess cash

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I like weapons more than 5 star constellations. I don't make a habit of it though, two pities a year or so. 5 star cons just make future characters you pull feel weak.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Kale posted:

Playing more Honkai Impact 3 yesterday it just has a massive number of currencies like a more typical gacha game to the point where it's just kind of overwhelming and off putting really. I was going through random menus with icons showing they needed attention since the last time I played and it was just dropping random stuff on me left and right that is very specifically tailored to some special shop sort of function like a returnee one or battle pass one. Then there's like these fragment things for specific character unlocks. B-Chips seem to be the main currency you would purchase and then that can be exchanged for various other things. It's just a bit much, and then I look at the actual Open World game and Yae Sakura is floating several inches above the ground at all times and it just really doesn't feel very polished or like it's even the same company making the game. I guess my expectations for it were a little high after Genshin, but I find myself more interested in the actual Honkai story than playing the game itself after a few sessions of it just throwing so much ever loving loving poo poo at me to keep track of and and just not getting a very good impression off the gameplay itself when it's actually letting me play it instead of pulling a new currency or monetization system out of it's rear end every 5-10 minutes like a standard gacha title. Basically a lot of the things that put me off games like Fire Emblem Heroes and where Genshin won me over by putting the emphasis on exploration, characterization and lore as opposed to banners and confusing menu and item systems.

I'll give it a few more whirls, but maybe I'll just find videos of the story stuff on youtube and continue to experience it that way like I did with the visual novel, animated PV, and manga stuff.

At least play until you get to APHO and play that. If you don't enjoy how that plays, might as well quit, it doesn't get much better than it (Except maybe APHO chapter 2). The older open worlds (the japan one and shicksal base) are preeeeeetty crappy though, yeah.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Infinity Gaia posted:

At least play until you get to APHO and play that. If you don't enjoy how that plays, might as well quit, it doesn't get much better than it (Except maybe APHO chapter 2). The older open worlds (the japan one and shicksal base) are preeeeeetty crappy though, yeah.

The new open worlds also suck poo poo

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Tae posted:

The new open worlds also suck poo poo

Well I can't exactly disagree that they suck as open worlds but the combat system in APHO is really pretty fun as a weird knockoff devil may cry wannabe.

Kale
May 14, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clk1X1m_hPU

Extremely good fan made video from off of Bilibili for the second anniversary. As for Honkai it's just as much the overwhelming amounts of poo poo the game throws at me reminding me it's a gacha game every 10 minutes or so particularly compared to Genshin.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

sakura samsara is like 6 years old now at this point lol. was pretty cool when they first added it, though primarily as an example of mhy really trying to push the boundaries of what they can do in a phone game. it absolutely is not impressive or interesting and a bunch of the progression was removed from it + it was balanced around characters that have been power crept to an insane degree so none of the mechanics work properly anymore.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Radical posted:

sakura samsara is like 6 years old now at this point lol. was pretty cool when they first added it, though primarily as an example of mhy really trying to push the boundaries of what they can do in a phone game. it absolutely is not impressive or interesting and a bunch of the progression was removed from it + it was balanced around characters that have been power crept to an insane degree so none of the mechanics work properly anymore.

I'm kind of reminded of the difference between FFXIV a realm reborn and everything that's come since basically. It was so stark the difference in overall polish, voice acting, quest and story line pacing and battle design+power creeping that they've streamlined the first major arc of the game since long after I finished it to at least make the experience shorter. Except here it seems possibly even more stark and I have a feeling it's going to mostly stay that way at least up until the whole Herscherr of the Void arc. I've read the Gratitude Arc manga which I've heard the Sakura Samsa open world thing is largely a retelling of so if it gets a little redundant I'll probably just skip through this as it's not nearly as good at telling the story as even the main game early chapters IMO.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
A meme about 'new US VAs if the anime takes off'

I would roll for Venti if Charlie Day voiced him
"Stormterror in the sky, eh? Okay, now you're talkin' my language! You know what happened? I bet it drank some poison blood, turned evil and terrorized the sky."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Urbane II
Nov 25, 2012

Coolness Averted posted:

A meme about 'new US VAs if the anime takes off'

I would roll for Venti if Charlie Day voiced him
"Stormterror in the sky, eh? Okay, now you're talkin' my language! You know what happened? I bet it drank some poison blood, turned evil and terrorized the sky."

The new character preview page really does sell the Venti rerun. As you cycle through the characters, they start monologuing about battle, their ideals, etc. in determined voices. Then you get to Venti, and he opens with "I LIKE TO DRINK!"

It's always sunny in Monstadt.