Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Larry Parrish posted:

can't you still get it from corrupted implicits. it's only the harvest ones that are dead

You can still get 20-25% avoidance from corrupted jewels (regular or Abyssal).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
im trying to think about zooming up a poison spark occultist
i was thinking about using the self-chill tech from jungroan's inquis but i'm not sure how to get high chill effect with a lot of chaso res
there's also golden rule+venopuncture tech but i'm not sure it's worth 2 rings + 1 jewel socket to get 10% chill and replica hotheaded
not sure what other options are available

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
if you really want the self chill tech you'll just have to grab some chill effect on the tree or on gear somewhere I guess. alternatively I bet supporting the forbidden rite with a support that gives ailment effect works. wonder if the Elementalist chill node works on self hits, I bet that does too. probably a pricey forbidden jewel though.

J
Jun 10, 2001

mynnna posted:

Anyone got an atlas tree they like for hunting god touched mobs? Not sure about my current setup.

Seems like prioritizing legion and trying to do as many legions per hour as you can is a really good way of going about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUfnFzvHlVo Check the tree from the description here for an example. Even a lower-end version of this with less juice (but still focusing on legions/hour) is probably pretty good too. He brings up a good point in that god touched legion rares are a lot tankier than normal. Even for people with good, fast clearing builds you'll want to take the increased duration legion nodes to make absolutely sure you have enough time to release any god touched legion rares. It's quite possible people are failing to release god touched legion mobs and not realizing it.

Jinnigan posted:

im trying to think about zooming up a poison spark occultist
i was thinking about using the self-chill tech from jungroan's inquis but i'm not sure how to get high chill effect with a lot of chaso res
there's also golden rule+venopuncture tech but i'm not sure it's worth 2 rings + 1 jewel socket to get 10% chill and replica hotheaded
not sure what other options are available

I played the budget version of jungroan's self chill spark guy and the chill effect felt fine. The two gotchas for chill effect are having too much chaos resist, "too much" meaning close to 75, and having merveil unlocked on your soul of the brine king which bricks the character.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

Hmm alright. Are there non-selfchill ways to put some vavazoom in a poison spark occultist build? I guess I could also shift gears to a bane/death's oath type build. But where is the Zoom. don't say mageblood

Miss Broccoli
May 1, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

JamesKPolk posted:

Warning: POE lore discussion ahead

Not to be overly pedantic, because it absolutely is a narrative about white enslavers, but I got more of a British settlers/sorta Maori?/definitely Polynesian slaves vibe than 'just' white and black (which I read in a North American context, maybe incorrectly). E.g. the Kitava's Torments quest flavor text stuff is 100% a pan-polynesian myth (the Fiji version is closer than the Hawaiian one, according to the pop-history podcast my coworker put on). here's an example : https://www.sacred-texts.com/pac/maui/maui05.htm

I make this point at all because I think it's something this game does really well - it's got New Zealand rear end perspectives on this stuff and even if it's obviously made by white people, the cultural stuff they're concerned with is novel compared to rehashing the European / North American canon. Like how many more deep dives into the Dante's Inferno Expanded Universe does one need? Whereas in the above version of the story Kitava I mean Maui is a hero, which kind of explains Utula a bit more? And really does make us look like an rear end in a top hat

Im Australian. Maori call themselves black. So do indigenous Australians

E: Though typically Australians drop the C

Miss Broccoli fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Sep 26, 2022

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Americans get used to black meaning African American specifically even though it's a word used to describe like literally 1/4th to 1/3rd of the world population or some poo poo and a tiny fraction of that is in North America

Miss Broccoli
May 1, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That happens in general, the rest of the planet doesn't have your race politics full stop. The brits enslaved pasifika and indigenous peoples in both countries well after your civil war and well after they stopped being brits and started being Australians and New Zealanders, they just didnt call it slavery, both nations had different systems and names for it.

In GGGs country its right to say ita not black and white, its Maori and Pakeha

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
https://pobb.in/fmFxj5hcWXDL

can i please get some help idk wtf i'm doing, just beat the story and cleared a few maps. keep dying in the labyrinth trying to get some more ascendancy points. keep dying in maps.

i'm doing minions, something in between golems and dead boys, and i think my minions are pretty survivable but i keep dying if i stand in the same spot for more than half a sec without popping flasks, or i just die randomly to something i have no idea what it was, or the labyrinth boss kills me in one hit. i've just kinda been winging my build so far so i would appreciate any tips. should i just give up and go find a guide for a build similar to mine and try to salvage this guy? or should i restart with a build in mind? thank you.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
I don't know much about Minion builds, but even they need to max their elemental resists and have more than 92% increased life by the time you hit your first maps/merciless Labyrinth. It's easy to fall into the trap of thinking a Bismuth flask is enough on it's own, but that won't be up forever and if you're taking a while to kill stuff it'll catch you eventually.

Someone who knows minions will have to look at your tree/skills, though, I can't help with that.

If this is your first go at this game, I definitely would say to look up a build. It's easy to think you'll be fine winging things, but this game is notoriously rude to new players, and using a build lets you avoid a lot of the most common pitfalls.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

Realistically, you should look up a guide, but if you want to try and convert this character into something that can run white maps without dying

- drop the life recoup cluster and Indomitable Army, plus your mastery points in each cluster
- use those 9 points to pick up the Heart and Soul plus Devotion life clusters
- respec Plaguebringer (your ascendancy) to Commander of Darkness, since you aren't resist capped
- find a way to run Purity of Elements. with Commander of Darkness you're probably resist capped now, or very close and you can finish the rest of it with some bench crafts

From there, pick 1 of SRS or Skeletons, don't use both. Run whichever one you pick in a 4 link with 3 damage supports.

See if you can get Zombie + Meat Shield + Specter in the same 4 link, with a minion life support if they're dying a lot. Running a survivability gem in your zombie/specter link is way more efficient than spending 5 points on a minion defense passive tree cluster.

I don't play golem but I think you want to find a way to give them "aggressive" behavior. The easiest way to do this is probably Feeding Frenzy support.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
yep i'm just a bit puzzled about how to max resistances - is that something i should do on the tree or through my equipment or both? same with life. whenever i look at builds online my eyes go wide and i can't really figure out where to start (other than the clayshaper which was easy enough to buy).

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

12 rats tied together posted:

Realistically, you should look up a guide, but if you want to try and convert this character into something that can run white maps without dying

- drop the life recoup cluster and Indomitable Army, plus your mastery points in each cluster
- use those 9 points to pick up the Heart and Soul plus Devotion life clusters
- respec Plaguebringer (your ascendancy) to Commander of Darkness, since you aren't resist capped
- find a way to run Purity of Elements. with Commander of Darkness you're probably resist capped now, or very close and you can finish the rest of it with some bench crafts

From there, pick 1 of SRS or Skeletons, don't use both. Run whichever one you pick in a 4 link with 3 damage supports.

See if you can get Zombie + Meat Shield + Specter in the same 4 link, with a minion life support if they're dying a lot. Running a survivability gem in your zombie/specter link is way more efficient than spending 5 points on a minion defense passive tree cluster.

I don't play golem but I think you want to find a way to give them "aggressive" behavior. The easiest way to do this is probably Feeding Frenzy support.

ohh poo poo, good stuff, thank you :cheers:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

whypick1 posted:

Only poisons from Viper Strike because the skill has its own 4s duration that adds to the default 4s duration of poison.

Default poison is 2 seconds. Viper Strike does not add 4 seconds to the to the 2 seconds, it overrides the poison to instead last for the duration of the skill, which is a base 4 seconds.

You're implying normal poison is 4 and Viper Strike is 8, when it's 2 and 4 respectively.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

If your specters aren't dying a ton after those changes I'd also grab a jinxed juju from the trade website, it should be easy to search for. Probably sort them by Chaos Resistance, descending, and grab something with at least 30%. "Increased Effect of Non-Curse auras" is a good stat for you, the rest of them don't matter that much.

Speaking of auras: your golems, zombies, and skeletons deal physical damage, so you should probably run Pride. Weirdly, even though Pride is an aura that effects nearby enemies, I don't think it counts as a Curse (like a Blasphemy aura would), so it should be scaled by the aura effect roll on Jinxed Juju. This late in the league you can probably get a max roll on both of these stats for <5 chaos.

I would probably anoint Gravepact on the jinxed juju.

You should also pick up Sovereignty (top left ish), which gives you a huge chunk of reservation efficiency and aura effect, which will allow you to further scale both of your auras as well as give you enough reservation efficiency so you can run them both at once and still be able to cast your spells.

Last thing for me is that I'd probably try to run a level 1 precision, to give your minions some extra accuracy rating, but it's been a while since I've played phys minions so I'm not sure if that's still necessary or not. If you can fit it in though, note that the attack and cast speed from Commander of Darkness is per aura, so it's worth a few chromatic orbs to try and fit it in. Just leave it at level one though.

cytoc
Apr 3, 2009

Foul Fowl posted:

yep i'm just a bit puzzled about how to max resistances - is that something i should do on the tree or through my equipment or both? same with life. whenever i look at builds online my eyes go wide and i can't really figure out where to start (other than the clayshaper which was easy enough to buy).

There has been some really good advice on the tree. Regarding resistances, I would aim to get it from gear, not the tree (though Commander of Darkness is one you should definitely get); purity of elements is a great stop gap before your gear can cover your resists -> it usually takes the place of an offensive aura which will add ~15%-30% more DPS.

You will probably want to eventually choose between going golems or non-golems for damage, as you tend to develop them in different ways; golems eventually want golem specific jewels to reach a decent potential. I love golems, so I usually build around them; I ran carrion golems with two clayshapers and support zombies to boost their damage as my league starter and it worked pretty well.

For non-golem minions, the choice is generally permanent (zombies / spectres) or non-permanent (SRS / skeletons). If you go the non-permanent route, I'd probably drop quite a few of the minion life nodes and look to move them into your survivability, either jewels or your life nodes. You can grab them later on, but you really want to be looking at more than 92% maximum life if you need to stop and cast regularly, something like the following: https://pobb.in/o2Fi3neeo5Nz.

Gear wise, I think you could easily upgrade the following (these searches are all softcore Kalandra league):
Boots: Get MS, life and res, should be 1-3 chaos: https://www.pathofexile.com/trade/search/Kalandra/gGyRDOOHQ
Gloves: Get life and res, should be 1-3 chaos: https://www.pathofexile.com/trade/search/Kalandra/2XlOz8Vtk
Helmet: +1 minion gem level, res and life, with free prefix to craft life, will cost around 1-3 chaos: https://www.pathofexile.com/trade/search/Kalandra/zZQwrVLt4
Body Armour: 6-link, colours are probably 3 red / 3 blue or 4 red / 2 blue will work for most of the minions you're looking at. That's going to cost 5 or so chaos: https://www.pathofexile.com/trade/search/Kalandra/G4VMqDbtb
Your belt and rings could also eventually use improvement, but I believe the above are easier wins at the moment.

cytoc fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Sep 26, 2022

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
woah, that's a lot of good stuff, thanks so much everyone i really appreciate it :tipshat:

will get on this the next time i get a chance to do some PoEing

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I have mathils lightning “flicker strike “ build up and running in maps . It is stupidly fast and does a lot of damage. I am not sure about it’s defenses yet at all tho.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Zero VGS posted:

Default poison is 2 seconds. Viper Strike does not add 4 seconds to the to the 2 seconds, it overrides the poison to instead last for the duration of the skill, which is a base 4 seconds.

You're implying normal poison is 4 and Viper Strike is 8, when it's 2 and 4 respectively.

Yep, I derped there. Embarrassing considering I'm actually levelling a VS character right now. Speaking of:

Finally got my 2H Occultist through the campaign. None of those deaths were to Kitava though, so no ragequitting. For those of you morbidly curious: https://pastebin.com/XT4ELG2R. Obviously need to pick up an actual chest piece and a belt and do Uber Lab. From there I'll see if I can make it to red maps.

euphronius posted:

I have mathils lightning “flicker strike “ build up and running in maps . It is stupidly fast and does a lot of damage. I am not sure about it’s defenses yet at all tho.

Defenses are easy. Just be Mathil. :v:

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

J posted:

Seems like prioritizing legion and trying to do as many legions per hour as you can is a really good way of going about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUfnFzvHlVo Check the tree from the description here for an example. Even a lower-end version of this with less juice (but still focusing on legions/hour) is probably pretty good too. He brings up a good point in that god touched legion rares are a lot tankier than normal. Even for people with good, fast clearing builds you'll want to take the increased duration legion nodes to make absolutely sure you have enough time to release any god touched legion rares. It's quite possible people are failing to release god touched legion mobs and not realizing it.

The big 20 divine drop I got was from this strategy.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I wonder if the AN loot pinata's would of been better received if there was no effect of MF/quantity/party size scaling the drops or if it would still be a awful idea to implement in your dopamine drip game.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It would be fine if the loot conversion was not total . I think that is the worst part .

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I would worry if there's no changes to how god-touched loot pinatas work for next league, there could be pretty rampant inflation in cost of items. This league mostly avoided that through people not figuring out how it worked and how to abuse it until lots of people had already quit the league. If next league is just filled with MF cullers and Legion runners and poo poo I feel like divine cost of equipment and the like might go through the roof.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

euphronius posted:

It would be fine if the loot conversion was not total . I think that is the worst part .

That's where I'm at as well. I see a Drought Bringer or a Corruptor and I know I can safely ignore anything they drop because if the total conversion. Feels bad man.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Insurrectionist posted:

I would worry if there's no changes to how god-touched loot pinatas work for next league, there could be pretty rampant inflation in cost of items. This league mostly avoided that through people not figuring out how it worked and how to abuse it until lots of people had already quit the league. If next league is just filled with MF cullers and Legion runners and poo poo I feel like divine cost of equipment and the like might go through the roof.

I hate that Item Rarity is an important stat, full stop. The D2 metagame of figuring out how much build power you sacrifice to cram in Rarity is not fun to me, and I don't like that it's creeping into PoE (or exploding into PoE if you cull)

I really hope that they just throw Item Rarity out completely from the God-touched calculation.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I found some god touched AN rares when I was testing T16 maps without any juice. It dropped 7 alchs and 2 chaos.

I now want MF to die forever as a concept. Remove all mention in the revision history. Let it never be invented again.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Devor posted:

I hate that Item Rarity is an important stat, full stop. The D2 metagame of figuring out how much build power you sacrifice to cram in Rarity is not fun to me, and I don't like that it's creeping into PoE (or exploding into PoE if you cull)

I really hope that they just throw Item Rarity out completely from the God-touched calculation.

they'll double the effects of item rarity in order to help more players achieve the desirable loot pinata experience

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

I didn't play before Essence league, can a long time player confirm/deny that IIQ Support gem went on everything when it was still available?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

qnqnx posted:

I didn't play before Essence league, can a long time player confirm/deny that IIQ Support gem went on everything when it was still available?

Back then I was struggling to obtain a 4-link from what I recall.

Trade sites didn't exist. I mostly played as if it were SSF, except I interacted with Trade to purchase my skill gems since gem vendors didn't exist

Cretin90
Apr 10, 2006

qnqnx posted:

I can’t confirm at the higher end of extreme players at the time but it was extremely common to run an arc + culling strike + IIQ, optional fourth link in a spell totem or IIR. I still have four or five IIQs laying around in my standard stash.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

qnqnx posted:

As in did people use it? Well it only existed very early on, I think it got removed in the same patch that they started doing proper leagues. Also while it existed you used to be able to roll IIQ on rare gear too, and the values on uniques were higher so it probably wasn't worth it to use a gem socket at that time unless you were already pretty geared. I remember magic find characters being pretty weak power wise so they probably really needed the socket.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

MMF Freeway posted:

As in did people use it? Well it only existed very early on, I think it got removed in the same patch that they started doing proper leagues. Also while it existed you used to be able to roll IIQ on rare gear too, and the values on uniques were higher so it probably wasn't worth it to use a gem socket at that time unless you were already pretty geared. I remember magic find characters being pretty weak power wise so they probably really needed the socket.

nah you use it with a trash skill and cull

e:f;b

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Oh yeah I remember swapping reaper's pursuit to cull Dominus over and over

J
Jun 10, 2001

Pretty neat glimpse into 6k delve and how that self curse boneshatter trauma stack build works. It's clearing faster than I expected. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFN_7KnoMkQ

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Im surprised there are still garbage weapon nodes that deep

LeninVS
Nov 8, 2011

Spent like 5hours being confused over how to optimize switching to Omni LS chsnp from nonomni.
Spent maybe 25divines not convinced I am any stronger.

I should have just made a new character. Now I'm so salty I might just be done with the league

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

LeninVS posted:

Spent like 5hours being confused over how to optimize switching to Omni LS chsnp from nonomni.

I should have just made a new character. Now I'm so salty I might just be done with the league

Pob? We can fix this.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever

LeninVS posted:

what have you done? its a pretty straight forward switch

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

i'm only in t2 maps so who knows how it'll hold up but so far self-chill poison spark occultist is going very well. using doppelganger's guise and divine flesh as primary layer of defense, still trying to figure out a second one. findings:
- 80% chaos res still gets me 22% chill
- shaper of winter doesn't affect the self-chill in any way (i suppose if i pump up my max res even more it'll keep a minimum of 15%)
- this tailwind and onslaught boot i got doesn't do much, the crits are too inconsistent to keep tailwind up
- you might as well go eldritch battery, that ES isn't doing anything for you otherwise
- picking up a resist shrine (90% chaos res) immediately bumped me down to 17% chill

Jinnigan fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Sep 26, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cretin90
Apr 10, 2006
I’m about ready to finish up for the league, anyone want some solid RF gear?