Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Just test drove the Fiat 595 Abarth Competezione, hilariously fun car to drive, but gently caress me the streets here are an absolute nightmare with this cars suspension, the car was jiggling and shaking the whole way because there’s tons of little holes and bumps that line the main streets that wouldn’t probably appear in european roads, lol sadly this car is definitely ‘fun second car for smooth track only when I become rich’ territory lol.

Another issue is the transmission, the one they had at the dealership was a wierd thing called a ‘automated manual’ which isn’t an automatic but is a manual that shifts by itself mechanically, so you can really feel the car swooping in and out of gears which is not that pleasant.

Still a fun car that’s nice and zippy, also a lot more posher interior than I was expecting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

TheBacon posted:

I sincerely hope that is all Alfa and zero Dodge, because other than branding, Dodge can not make a decent car. The one thing they have is ENGINE BIG HORSEPOWER HIGH BIG VROOM.

Alfa, known for making decent cars :dafuq:

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I was expanding off the goon’s reasoning!

Not like a guilia just left another goon stranded or anything. Anyway I would still rather have some alfa/fiat spaghetti than mopar.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Aren’t they a good car company?

Also the Hornet will be made on Alfa Romeos plant in Italy and has an Alfa Engine and Drive train, it’s slightly tuned and rebadged to be a dodge. Also massively cheaper for better performance.

According to car sites the Hornet is a pretty big success pre-orders wise, so let’s see.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Al-Saqr posted:

Aren’t they a good car company?

That depends on how you define good, good as in toyota good? No. They are notoriously unreliable and expensive to repair. Good as in Ferrari good? Maybe. They can make a fun car, though I am not sure the hornet thing will fall under that umbrella.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

TheBacon posted:

That depends on how you define good, good as in toyota good? No. They are notoriously unreliable and expensive to repair. Good as in Ferrari good? Maybe. They can make a fun car, though I am not sure the hornet thing will fall under that umbrella.

Ah ok thanks for making me aware of this, that’s a huge red flag I should consider. If alfas are unreliable and break down often I should stay away.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Sep 26, 2022

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Alfa is a company with a long history of making interesting cars.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Alfa is a company with a long history of making interesting cars.

I guess I got bamboozled by the name and pedigree so I thought “oh they are an OG luxury Italian car company maybe they’re finely crafted reliable cars” but now I’m reading more and more online about how horrendously unreliable their recent more affordable models are and now I’m fully turned off by anything associated with them. Guess the hornets off the list until I see reviews about their reliability.

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

Al-Saqr posted:

I guess I got bamboozled by the name and pedigree so I thought “oh they are an OG luxury Italian car company maybe they’re finely crafted reliable cars” but now I’m reading more and more online about how horrendously unreliable their recent more affordable models are and now I’m fully turned off by anything associated with them. Guess the hornets off the list until I see reviews about their reliability.

This is pretty old, but they used to have reputation for being great, fun cars, that basically turn into a pile of rusted scrap overnight. I dunno about the modern cars. However, the fact that they're small run Italian vehicles means repairs are probably going to suck.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

The tune guys mentioned that there is apparently a recently released larger GTI turbo that apparently meets emissions standards in the US. Has anyone messed with it? No idea on the manufacturer as it was just a passing comment.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Al-Saqr posted:

Has any "luxury Italian car company" ever been known for reliable cars? Or just Italian...or most luxury brands for that matter, although for the latter you might have to distinguish between reliability vs just expensive as poo poo to maintain.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Al-Saqr posted:

If alfas are unreliable and break down often I should stay away.

I chuckled.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

japtor posted:

Has any "luxury Italian car company" ever been known for reliable cars? Or just Italian...or most luxury brands for that matter, although for the latter you might have to distinguish between reliability vs just expensive as poo poo to maintain.

There was a stretch I think Merc had the reputation of making bulletproof cars, but that ended in the 90s.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Since when were Alfas luxury cars?

Even the big ones like a 164 or 166 don't count IMO

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Premium is probably a better descriptor

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

And don't Ferraris long to be on fire?

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

dissss posted:

Since when were Alfas luxury cars?

Even the big ones like a 164 or 166 don't count IMO

the Giulia is positioned as a direct competitor to the 3 series in size and price

I had the misfortune of renting a Giulia Ti and it was pretty awful! But they still want $50k+ for it

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

MunchE posted:

the Giulia is positioned as a direct competitor to the 3 series in size and price

I had the misfortune of renting a Giulia Ti and it was pretty awful! But they still want $50k+ for it

The only entity that thinks BMW is a true luxury brand is BMW.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
Lazy pic, but here’s my little red wagon. Washed and waxed; low and slow.

Next up, I’m gonna refinish the wheels with aluminum plastidip and I’m seriously considering a window tint, because i don’t like being able to see into the trunk from across the street.

Last weekend i got under the car and was able to diagnose a knocking noise caused by lateral motion as a worn out end link. I was worried it was the new coilovers, but those seemed to be torqued down okay. Likely going to throw on a stiffer sway bar while doing the links, cuz gently caress it why not. Hoping that doesn’t introduce too much oversteer, because right now it handles amazingly on coilovers and a set of UHP rubber. It’s steady at 100mph on the freeway yet can carve up twisty mountain roads without much under steer.

These only came with the k24 and the 5at slush box. but in manual mode, this h atch gets hot in second gear and hauls rear end from 20-60mph with classic honda eagerness

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

great color but sir that is a wagon

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i mean there is indeed a hatch in the back

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

It has been concluded that since there is no wagon thread, the hatch thread must be their safe haven.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Blue Footed Booby posted:

And don't Ferraris long to be on fire?

don't we all?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Arishtat posted:

The only entity that thinks BMW is a true luxury brand is BMW.

I mean I don't know what a "true luxury brand" is, but I bet most Americans would consider BMW to be a luxury car since we don't really get any of the low end/stripper models here. :shrug:

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Dig up VW.

https://www.autoblog.com/2022/09/28/vw-golf-spy-shots-interior-new-screen/

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

That is a hot lookin wagon goon, well done

Time to post my wagon with updated plate (and the damage from being rear ended a month ago :negative: )

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

“I know whose interiors we should copy—Tesla.”

:(

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Residency Evil posted:

I mean I don't know what a "true luxury brand" is, but I bet most Americans would consider BMW to be a luxury car since we don't really get any of the low end/stripper models here. :shrug:

Sorry. I'm just a little salty at having to replace just about every plastic bit that I touch on my car.

Dr. Lunchables posted:

It has been concluded that since there is no wagon thread, the hatch thread must be their safe haven.

I for one welcome our long roof friends. Hatches and wagons are like peas and carrots.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
Sometimes when I’m grumpy, my girlfriend will ask the distinction between a hatchback and a wagon, and a halcyon calm washes over me in an awesome wave as I describe roof lines

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Why would anybody buy a station wagon over an suv.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
:mods:

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer

Al-Saqr posted:

you again :colbert:

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Al-Saqr posted:

Someone ban this goon from this thread. Possibly AI entirely

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Al-Saqr posted:

why dont you saqr al deez nutz

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BraveUlysses posted:

:golfclap:

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

BraveUlysses posted:

New thread title?

You don’t buy an SUV over a wagon because wagons aren’t tall and floaty. Unlike SUVs, they’re fun.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BraveUlysses posted:

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Pull up, fellow hatchback-lovers.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

nitsuga posted:

Pull up, fellow hatchback-lovers.