Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

TheSpartacus posted:

When installing the alarm system, I paid for this super nice mining grade system that alarmed with a horn and lights. When it was installed a lady confronted me and asked if it had a flashing light, telling me she had epilepsy and she couldn't believe it and was upset that I didn't consider her disability.... I guess she doesn't think deaf people are a thing? Told her that if it sounds, it means there's less than 18% oxygen and to loving book it.

It sounds like if there's a flashing light she cannot, in fact, book it? I'm guessing this got resolved somehow anyway.

Escape From Noise posted:

I'm actually surprised someone didn't die or at least get hospitalized.

You can always do your part to help this along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Why did you assholes not TEST THIS first before unleashing it on live projects with client money attached to them!!!???

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Why did you assholes not TEST THIS first before unleashing it on live projects with client money attached to them!!!???

There's your answer, hidden within your question, namaste.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Motronic posted:

Incorrect, but nice research-free assumption.

I know OP's in Japan, but assume all the other poster aren't.

Besides, whenever horrible unsafe working conditions are mentioned, assuming it's America is a pretty safe bet.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Its extra weird cause like, curry shops have CO2 meters installed in public facing areas in Japan so I don't get why his business lacks one in a potential death room

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Barudak posted:

Its extra weird cause like, curry shops have CO2 meters installed in public facing areas in Japan so I don't get why his business lacks one in a potential death room

Wait, did they do this prior to 2020?

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Barudak posted:

I could be wrong, but would those sensors be more for propane/natural gas and carbon monoxide? Or are we talking the ones for COVID?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Escape From Noise posted:

I could be wrong, but would those sensors be more for propane/natural gas and carbon monoxide? Or are we talking the ones for COVID?

You know you're probably right they're for that. I only see em at cramped spots with open flames.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
This is the context in which I first heard of them, I think.

https://twitter.com/kprather88/status/1416781235926433792

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Around COVID local governments started requiring CO2 readers in dining areas, but it was about checking capacity (amount of CO2 I guess equals higher risk of airborne viruses). For a sensor used to warn of more deadly levels, I think you want something hardier with a really loud alarm.

TheSpartacus
Oct 30, 2010
HEY GUYS I'VE FLOWN HELICOPTERS IN THIS GAME BEFORE AND I AM AN EXPERT. ALSO, HOW DO I START THE ENGINE?

Volmarias posted:

It sounds like if there's a flashing light she cannot, in fact, book it? I'm guessing this got resolved somehow anyway.

You can always do your part to help this along.

I told her at what Hz the light flashes at and that she had to speak with her doctor, if that was triggerable for her or not. Since gas accidents tend to result in multiple casualties, it is necessary to have light and sound though so as not to be ignorable. I'm not sure what else could be done given the nature of the hazard though. I didn't want a simple alarm because we have instruments that beep/boop/alarm constantly, needed to clearly distinguish the hazard.

It did not loving help that a few weeks later production installed a light and buzzer to let the QC lab know when samples arrived that was placed right next to the deadly hazard alarm lol. Took months for people to get comfortable because everyone would look up and think it's the oxygen alarm.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Platystemon posted:

This is the context in which I first heard of them, I think.

https://twitter.com/kprather88/status/1416781235926433792

I'd rather they measured hydrogen sulfide because then I'd know which theater smells the least like farts.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

McGavin posted:

I'd rather they measured hydrogen sulfide because then I'd know which theater smells the least like farts.

The one without you in it

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!
I work part-time at a Mcdonald's in the UK.

Our C02 tank is kept in a small room and there are alarm sensors everywhere. If the alarm goes off, the entire joint has to be evacuated.

A few weeks ago we had a flood which damaged the sensors, setting them off. The siren was an unholy din which made me want to leave the building immediately. The company who monitored our c02 levels also woke up our restaurant manager and franchisee (at about 5am) to ask what happened.

Being lackadaisical about c02 safety is incomprehensible to me.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

Sad King Billy posted:

Being lackadaisical about c02 safety is incomprehensible to me.

People just don't want to work anymore

Termyie
Aug 18, 2022

Always choose violence.

I been off for a week and I come back this morning to find out that my Fill-In doesn't want to work on Days because he is losing too much money not working nights. This is ontop of not doing anything for the past week and being combative with everyone on the day office staff. This over 50 Cents a day.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Termyie posted:

I been off for a week and I come back this morning to find out that my Fill-In doesn't want to work on Days because he is losing too much money not working nights. This is ontop of not doing anything for the past week and being combative with everyone on the day office staff. This over 50 Cents a day.

wait the shift diff for night shift is 50 cents a day?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

MrQwerty posted:

wait the shift diff for night shift is 50 cents a day?

:lol: even if it's 50 cents an hour

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

McGavin posted:

:lol: even if it's 50 cents an hour

Lol yeah I get paid ~$2.50/hr and it's nowhere near enough to deal with 1st shift's utter busybody horseshit, having to deal with that crap while losing that much pay would drive me insane

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Sep 26, 2022

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.
shift differentials are like 8% for evenings and 15% for midnights here

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I'll get 25% extra for nights and 50% extra for Sun and Holidays

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

MrQwerty posted:

Lol yeah I get paid ~$2.50/hr and it's nowhere near enough to deal with 1st shift's utter busybody horseshit, having to deal with that crap while losing that much pay would drive me insane

Is this service work? gently caress your stupid country wtf

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Outrail posted:

I'm guessing that's a shift differential, not an overall pay rate

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Salami Surgeon posted:

People just don't want to work anymore

The best part about people who say this seriously is that it's just dumb on its face.

I mean, has anyone, in the history of man, actually wanted to work? The loving foundational myth of Christianity is basically "we lived in a paradise where no one had to work and there was food everywhere then those dipshits hosed it up and now we have to grow grain and poo poo." Vikings don't split logs and stack bricks in Valhalla, they drink and gently caress and eat and fight. Work you actively want to do is called a hobby, and the important part of that is that is that if you wake up and don't feel like it you can gently caress off because it's not what you have to do in order to keep living indoors and eating.

I'd just love to see the person who woke up at 6 am on a cold, drizzly, 19th century Welsh morning all "holy gently caress I can not WAIT to head down the coal pit!"

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Cyrano4747 posted:

The best part about people who say this seriously is that it's just dumb on its face.

I mean, has anyone, in the history of man, actually wanted to work? The loving foundational myth of Christianity is basically "we lived in a paradise where no one had to work and there was food everywhere then those dipshits hosed it up and now we have to grow grain and poo poo." Vikings don't split logs and stack bricks in Valhalla, they drink and gently caress and eat and fight. Work you actively want to do is called a hobby, and the important part of that is that is that if you wake up and don't feel like it you can gently caress off because it's not what you have to do in order to keep living indoors and eating.

I'd just love to see the person who woke up at 6 am on a cold, drizzly, 19th century Welsh morning all "holy gently caress I can not WAIT to head down the coal pit!"

Work looks pretty good if you hate your family.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Sure, but absent work you could go fishing or go to a bar or gently caress your girlfriend or any one of the other things that isn't "spend time with the family I hate" or "do work."

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I mean, I like actually doing the core parts of my job since it's directly focused at helping people who are in pain, but I definitely don't like the parts that are ancillary to it like bureaucracy

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Cyrano4747 posted:

https://twitter.com/paulisci/status/1549527748950892544?s=20&t=uY21Y53752Xkll2BQ4n3zw

Oldest in the thread is 1894 so people have been saying that same bullshit for over a century

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Outrail posted:

That's a shift diff, man.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

My boomer boss can't comprehend why anyone would want more vacation than our company's max. He claims he's "old school" and wants to come to work everyday. He also can't reconcile his work ethic with the fact that he's in a loveless marriage, only gets to do his favorite things/go to his favorite restaurants when she's out of town, came in to the office every day during COVID instead of working from home so that he didn't have to be around her, and his only friends seem to be through work where people are forced to interact with him.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Salami Surgeon posted:

My boomer boss can't comprehend why anyone would want more vacation than our company's max. He claims he's "old school" and wants to come to work everyday. He also can't reconcile his work ethic with the fact that he's in a loveless marriage, only gets to do his favorite things/go to his favorite restaurants when she's out of town, came in to the office every day during COVID instead of working from home so that he didn't have to be around her, and his only friends seem to be through work where people are forced to interact with him.

Dumb poo poo Your Work Does: Deliberate Victims of Capitalism

Borosilicate
Aug 26, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Plenty of people have wanted to work throughout history, the issue arises when people are spending a huge chunk of their life working and having almost all the value they create from it stolen by the ruling class that gives them almost nothing in return.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

`Nemesis posted:

https://twitter.com/paulisci/status/1549527748950892544?s=20&t=uY21Y53752Xkll2BQ4n3zw

Oldest in the thread is 1894 so people have been saying that same bullshit for over a century

lol at the 1894 one:

The context for that was a nation-wide strike after wages were slashed for coal workers in the face of a financial panic / recession (pre-1930s financial cycles can be wild and a lot of modern terminology is hard to really apply to them). A strike that involved poo poo like strike breaking rent-a-cops firing on crowds of thousands of protesting workers with machine guns, killing at least five of them.

So, yeah. "no one wants to work."

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Burn it all down. Don't plan what to do next, provide no foundations to rebuild on. Every scrap of guidance we provide to those who come after increases the risk they just reproduce our failings. Only if they have to start from nothing can they avoid our patterns.

We might need to kill ~all humans.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Cyrano4747 posted:

lol at the 1894 one:

The context for that was a nation-wide strike after wages were slashed for coal workers in the face of a financial panic / recession (pre-1930s financial cycles can be wild and a lot of modern terminology is hard to really apply to them). A strike that involved poo poo like strike breaking rent-a-cops firing on crowds of thousands of protesting workers with machine guns, killing at least five of them.

It's never surprising how incredibly lovely both companies and governments can be to anyone who would dare try to improve their conditions at work. Back during the Depression Ford had a whole anti-union force inside the company filled with violent psychos (the Service Department) and led by Harry Bennett who had opened fire on a worker's protest march that was completely peaceful until the Dearborn cops opened fire on it. Somehow, despite bragging how he shot people that day, Bennett was still working for Ford five years later and not in jail, so he was able to lead 40 goons out to beat a few union organizers the gently caress up during another protest. The first time the US government used planes to bomb people it was striking coal miners. It's amazing that all Starbucks is doing to retaliate against unionizing staffers is shutting down stores, illegally firing organizers and offering different, better benefits to people not in the union. That's almost mild compared to poo poo they would do before.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

Cyrano4747 posted:

lol at the 1894 one:

Absolutely wild that coal miners went from being the vanguard antifa pro-union foot soldiers to being braindead simps for their corporate bosses in like, slightly more than a single average life-time.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Salami Surgeon posted:

People just don't want to work live anymore

FTFY

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

I'll get 25% extra for nights and 50% extra for Sun and Holidays

I don't get anything extra for being on evening shift, but at least holidays and Sundays are full x2 pay for me in the rare event I actually do have to work them.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Cyrano4747 posted:

Somewhere between purpose and belonging, most people want to do something productive for their family or community.

This is exactly the weakness capitalism has seized on and seeks to exploit. Because of and resulting in alienation from our labor and it's results for our family and community, our productive tendency is isolated and thrown into an ever increasing heap of capital for capitals sake.

Calling work you like doing a hobby is a little inaccurate although it's a good measure of your current alienation while doing your current productive task. Human experience tends to be a sliding scale so even paradise would come with it's own chores of having too much fun. The goal is to then be doing work while connected to family and community instead of some rich guys bank account because you will never be unsure of where you stand.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Really tired of brewery owners who put their own convenience and ego over the quality and integrity of the beer, and who value what they overheard as a homebrewer over the input of their brewers who have three decades of professional experience and education between them.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Serious_Cyclone posted:

Absolutely wild that coal miners went from being the vanguard antifa pro-union foot soldiers to being braindead simps for their corporate bosses in like, slightly more than a single average life-time.

It's more a change in how coal mining was done in the 1910's and prior vs. the 1930's. There were few machines on site in mines for a long time, so everything was dug by hand or with basic power tools if possible. By 1930 mechanization had taken over in mines and a bunch of new seams were exploited with open pit mining or mountaintop removal. These two things made the mining population drop as some places closed entirely due to not being able to compete with the new methods and the mines that replaced them had fewer people on staff and paid them less. The union also got crazy corrupt and out of touch with the rank and file, or more less culminating in the United Mine Workers' President putting a hit out on the guy who just lost an election to him and had been accusing him of rigging the vote. The union members and most other coal miners became really easy for the company to propagandize when they felt like the coal jobs were scarce and the union didn't care about them, only wanted their dues. That's how you get the "My grandfather was a coal miner, my father mined and now I'm down there. Someday my sons will mine coal, too." quote you see in every. Single. Article about coal mining. Back in the 1920's coal mining wasn't exactly the proudest job, it was something you would hope your kids didn't end up doing because of how brutal it was on the body and how dangerous it often became. Company propaganda has wiped that from a lot of memories and a lot of people internalized it over the years until it became a self replicating myth of how proud and important coal mining is and the people who want to stop coal mining are evil and bad and want to stop that way of life.

This happened with a lot of industries. The number of people I know who hosed up multiple parts of their bodies from repetitive manufacturing tasks numbers in the dozen and they all love the company and a bunch of them would tell you how proud they were the day their son/daughter joined the company. I knew a woman who worked safety at a coal plant who had completely hosed her lungs by crawling in the ash collection system without any airway protection for 20 years and who could do nothing but talk about how great the company was and how when she got her diagnosis lawyers wanted to represent her, but she knew they were all Democrats trying to shut down the plant and so she refused. People are really loving stupid, I guess is the point of all this. They'll work against their own interests because they are worried anything different than what they've always known will somehow be worse than a bad situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Lazyfire posted:

The first time the US government used planes to bomb people it was striking coal miners.

Flying right past WWI with this post, and it was county deputies with private planes. Blair Mountain is important but it's not quite the same, especially since many striking miners chose to surrender to federal troops when they arrived.