Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

oh yeah I forgot that may be the last time we play them fir a very long time. rip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

I mean, Texas and OU are still almost assuredly in thr Big XII next year, and there is still no confirmation that they are moving up to 2024 yet.

Ultimately the game will likely end up being treated the same way a bunch of SWC teams who did not move to the Big XII were: somewhat regular series in football, more often in other sports where the scheduling isn’t as restricted. If they do ultimately reduce the number of conference games to 8, we probably will see it played more regularly, if not annually.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Texas back status: not

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i took an uber home last night from a party and the driver was incredibly pissed about texas losing yesterday lol

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Hooray for tortilla tech!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/1574404001793277952

Sure why not. Sounds like our business.

unrelated: people in Texas who are proud of their German or Czech or whatever white people heritage: stfu

There isn't even a "german" heritage, the country didn't exist prior to the 20th century, and almost all white people here are descended from one of the various teutonic tribes that swept through western Europe every hundred years or so

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/1574404001793277952

Sure why not. Sounds like our business.

unrelated: people in Texas who are proud of their German or Czech or whatever white people heritage: stfu

There isn't even a "german" heritage, the country didn't exist prior to the 20th century, and almost all white people here are descended from one of the various teutonic tribes that swept through western Europe every hundred years or so

Herr, das ist ein Wendy's.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh, I'm one-eighth Wendy's!

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Yeah but kolaches. Must I eat a danish instead?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

my sympathies lie with the kaiser

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

mfers not even calling them klobasneks

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
In 5th grade one of the teachers tried to tell me that my grandfather's family was Russian, not Prussian. While they had spent time in western Russia prior to emigrating to the US, I assure you my name is entirely German in origin.

gently caress you, Mrs. Nunn

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/bradj_TX/status/1574423620235022336

Texas politics editors rending their garments and gnashing their teeth as the lead extends to several furlongs.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

but beto was "closing the gap" all summer!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Me cancelling all of my newspaper subs as Abbott moves into double digit territory

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Is that from New Jack City?

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas, renamed Texas A&M University 1963, historically was an ag school so has Aggie as the student nickname (like Utah State or New Mexico State), which became aggy as an insult from those dirty teasips in Austin.

Oh yeah, another vital part of A&M culture is intense homophobia directed at UT as an institution and Austin as a city.

As much as we recognize ITT how bad Austin's racism can be (particularly compared to its liberal self-image), College Station is a thousand times worse. Imagine a college town that, instead of having the general young progressive vibe of every other college town, had the social values of a lovely white-flight suburb. That's College Station.

zoux posted:

That's some bold loving talk to be spouting on the eve of Oktoberfest.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/AshleyRParker/status/1574145305213272064

(darkly) lmao

But it's insane the amount of blood and treasure we are spending on a fake problem that doesn't exist, and so doesn't exist in Florida that DeSantis has to borrow our legally present asylum seekers so he can do a big stunt that immediately blows up in his face

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

it'd actually be pretty interesting if he lost by ten. loopy was -13.3 in 2018 in arguably a better national environment

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

i say swears online posted:

it'd actually be pretty interesting if he lost by ten. loopy was -13.3 in 2018 in arguably a better national environment

The more credible the candidate, the harder the GOP election machine works. Wendy Davis lost worst than pretty much any Dem previously or since and it's not like she was a worse candidate than Chris Bell

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

LanceHunter posted:

Oh yeah, another vital part of A&M culture is intense homophobia directed at UT as an institution and Austin as a city.

As much as we recognize ITT how bad Austin's racism can be (particularly compared to its liberal self-image), College Station is a thousand times worse. Imagine a college town that, instead of having the general young progressive vibe of every other college town, had the social values of a lovely white-flight suburb. That's College Station.

I feel bad, cause I know there are a few aggies here, but. .
But yeah.

That was deffo my impression if the place.

Like... as individuals, there were good or nice people there, but as a whole?

This thread skews left, so College Station, and aggies were never gonna be our jam.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

College Station is called that because the university was the first thing there. It predated the railroads. The entire city exists around the university in a way that I'm not sure is true for any other school or town

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Why would Abbott help facilitate DeSantis' stunt in any way? That's his main not Trump rival, plus it's just DeSantis stealing Abbott's thunder doing the stunt Abbott invented in the first place. I don't really understand this.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

P/VP posturing

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

zoux posted:

College Station is called that because the university was the first thing there. It predated the railroads. The entire city exists around the university in a way that I'm not sure is true for any other school or town

yeah as an ag college it needed the open space, whereas other college towns had the school spring up from local demand. even new mexico a&m has a hallowed, storied history in las cruces:

quote:

Said institution is hereby located at or near the town of Las Cruces in the County of Doña Ana, upon a tract of land of not less than one hundred (100) acres, This land could be contiguous to the main Las Cruces irrigating ditch, south of said town.

Zwabu posted:

Why would Abbott help facilitate DeSantis' stunt in any way? That's his main not Trump rival, plus it's just DeSantis stealing Abbott's thunder doing the stunt Abbott invented in the first place. I don't really understand this.

he didn't, he was as surprised as anyone when the plane touched down at martha's vinyard. the entire point is that it's an increasingly-heated rivalry that could soon pop off hard

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

zoux posted:

NYT story

quote:

“Love Florida. Love Texas. Love Florida more,” Jeb Bush, a former Florida governor with deep familial ties to Texas, said when asked about the rivalry between the two states.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

love me florida

love me texas

love florida more

simple as

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

he didn't, he was as surprised as anyone when the plane touched down at martha's vinyard. the entire point is that it's an increasingly-heated rivalry that could soon pop off hard

But weren't DeSantis' trafficked migrants from the Texas border? Did he send people into Texas on the down low to work this stunt?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Zwabu posted:

But weren't DeSantis' trafficked migrants from the Texas border? Did he send people into Texas on the down low to work this stunt?

yes. TXGOP had zero idea. my conjecture but abbott was loving furious (i'm right)

i say swears online fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Sep 26, 2022

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

lobster shirt posted:

love me florida

love me texas

love florida more

simple as

please love

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Zwabu posted:

No they were from San Antonio

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

yes. TXGOP had zero idea. my conjecture but abbott was loving furious (i'm right)

So they went and hunted down immigrants in another state so they could kidnap them on the taxpayers dime? That’s extra malicious

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

LanceHunter posted:

Bryan at least has a distinct culture from College Station (and predates the university as a train stop outside of Houston), and has more of a blue collar townie vibe with a lot more diversity, but yeah still a small city in Texas. Over time I think just more of the white community is just segregating in College Station. Both cities also have very high post secondary education levels, and some of the political nuances that come along with that.

As much as I like to hate on Aggies, the political slant of the student body is definitely oversold and focuses on a vocal minority. Plenty of decent people come from that school, and it really isn’t super different from UT.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Bryan is actually worse.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

zoux posted:

Bryan is actually worse.

That was definitely true when we were kids, but then a ton of the white people just moved to College Station. The socioeconomic divide is way more stark now too.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

The Corps experience and A&M made me into the bleeding heart liberal I am today compared to the typical dipshit libertarian-esque type I was earlier in college. The student section is definitely like any regular 'ol college campus

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

OFC I haven't been to BCS since 2005 maybe?

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

DuckHuntDog posted:

Bryan at least has a distinct culture from College Station (and predates the university as a train stop outside of Houston), and has more of a blue collar townie vibe with a lot more diversity, but yeah still a small city in Texas. Over time I think just more of the white community is just segregating in College Station. Both cities also have very high post secondary education levels, and some of the political nuances that come along with that.

As much as I like to hate on Aggies, the political slant of the student body is definitely oversold and focuses on a vocal minority. Plenty of decent people come from that school, and it really isn’t super different from UT.

Trump won Brazos County by >14 points, in 2020. Aggies are more politically conservative than the nation as a whole, which means that compared to other college students they are wildly conservative.

There's certainly a fair number of folks going to A&M just trying to keep their heads down and get a (genuinely world-class) agricultural education. But they are the ones who are in the minority, and the campus culture is designed to minimize them while amplifying the more conservative voices. I used to go to the poetry slams in Bryan many years ago, where a lot of folks who generally didn't fit into the typical Aggie mold (queer folks, POC, etc) would end up. The number of stories I heard about the casual and constant harassment lot of them endured was shocking.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Here's my go to example in that regard. After 2004, a polling firm tried to find the college campuses that voted the most for each of the candidates. What you would expect is that the winner on each side would be a statistical outlier, likely a small, ideologically focused private campus and that is indeed what the found as regards Kerry, with some tiny private liberal arts school having the highest proportion of Kerry voters. For Bush it was Texas A&M. A&M's enrollment in 2005 was 45,000.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

zoux posted:

OFC I haven't been to BCS since 2005 maybe?

If you haven't been since then, you probably wouldn't recognize the town. It's kind of sad because it is the same size now as the glory days of Austin, but it is home to a certain population that will never do anything cool at all ever. A total waste of potential