Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Venomous posted:

...how the poo poo did Italy not have the same kind of denazification as Germany after the war?

they did, unfortunately

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

Venomous posted:

...how the poo poo did Italy not have the same kind of denazification as Germany after the war?

I mean, I know Italy was the first Axis power to surrender, so they weren't as important in the grand scheme of things, but it boggles the loving mind that the Allies didn't purge Italy of any sort of fascist influence after the war like they did in Germany.

our communist party used its only chance to be in government after the war to promote amnesty in the name of social reconciliation

webcams for christ posted:

they did, unfortunately
also this, lol

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Venomous posted:

The Partito Comunista Italiano were at worst the 2nd largest Communist party in Western Europe in 1945/6.

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

You could draw parallels with Ukraine except the communists in Europe were seen as a greater threat than the Russia of today.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

webcams for christ posted:

they did, unfortunately
give credit where it's due, the various hitlers did a better job than the mussolinis

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

mortons stork posted:

our communist party used its only chance to be in government after the war to promote amnesty in the name of social reconciliation

assuming good faith with political opponents is unfortunately something that happens repeatedly with leftist parties (leftists are too nice). lenin knew the score here

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Venomous posted:

I mean, I know Italy was the first Axis power to surrender, so they weren't as important in the grand scheme of things, but it boggles the loving mind that the Allies didn't purge Italy of any sort of fascist influence after the war like they did in Germany.

The only areas purged of fascism were on the Soviet side and they were all reanimated in the 90s.

The allies not only kept but financed and armed fascist powers in Iberia and Greece. Taking fascists away from power in Germany and Italy was a reluctant act.

THS2 posted:

assuming good faith with political opponents is unfortunately something that happens repeatedly with leftist parties (leftists are too nice). lenin knew the score here

Even Lenin gave a lot of amnesty to what would very quickly become white army generals and officers as soon as the reds let them go in 1917.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Mr Hootington posted:

Are you stupid?

yes, but that doesn't answer the question

This is a good watch, thank you

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Venomous posted:

yes, but that doesn't answer the question

To give you an idea of how thorough the western denazification was, only 24 out of thousands of captured Einsatzgruppen were ever put on trial, since that was how many fit in the court room at once. Out of those only four were executed, the rest were free men less than a decade later. They were responsible for the murders of more than two million civilians.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

...gently caress.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Also, as previously mentioned, look into Operation Gladio, Operation Paperclip and similar operations where ex-Nazis and fascists were re-patriated/glorified, as well as the fact that a bunch of the early leaders of NATO were ex-Nazis.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Lmfao

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

can't believe the dude from SVU is a fascist

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Read this for a different take on denazification: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bleiburg_repatriations

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Venomous posted:

Italy wasn’t occupied by the Soviets.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
https://twitter.com/PADDYWILO71/status/1574017795121205249

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

italy's first big dork nerd idiot prime minister

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

lmao that has to be satire

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Rosie Holt is good

https://twitter.com/RosieisaHolt/status/1286214059226992641

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

lmao

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Carthag Tuek posted:

lmao that has to be satire

I should have known, she's too well spoken.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

also i guess "somebody" bombed the Nord Stream gas pipeline (between Russia and Germany). leaks were discovered yesterday, and now theyre saying seismographs picked up explosions

danish defense has a video of the leak:
https://www.forsvaret.dk/da/nyheder/2022/gaslakage-i-ostersoen/

Carthag Tuek has issued a correction as of 14:44 on Sep 27, 2022

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
the only guy (america) who stands to benefit from this can't possibly do it right, and they definitely don't have the track record at screwing over their vassals either

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Palladium posted:

the only guy (america) who stands to benefit from this can't possibly do it right, and they definitely don't have the track record at screwing over their vassals either

It might've been the baltic states, known for being sensible and not being led by the grandsons of known Nazi collaborators.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Palladium posted:

The US stands to benefit economically the most by far. Every country particularly gung-ho about maintaining the sanctions also has a motive. I don’t see a motive for Russia. Or Germany for that matter.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
it was done by the swedes as a way to test the danish response

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

It sure is weird how the main effect of this was is a giant sales orgy for American weapons and fossil fuels, with literally every other party being drastically impoverished, huh?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

icantfindaname posted:

It sure is weird how the main effect of this was is a giant sales orgy for American weapons and fossil fuels, with literally every other party being drastically impoverished, huh?

Sounds bullish for the USD

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

icantfindaname posted:

Not really.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Orange Devil posted:

The US stands to benefit economically the most by far. Every country particularly gung-ho about maintaining the sanctions also has a motive. I don’t see a motive for Russia. Or Germany for that matter.

Also biden said he would take nordstream off the table months ago, also us ships were in the area, also flew helicopters along the path of the pipe, also...

https://twitter.com/AZmilitary1/status/1574764007126441984?s=20&t=p5rlsj0EsxOTnNWds3DnCw

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol it's absolutely in the US' best interest for this to happen. very intersting!

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

nordstream must be destroyed

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Yes because you blow up a pipeline with aircraft, not submarines.

The notion that the US blew the pipelines is utterly preposterous, get a grip please.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

spankmeister posted:

The notion that the US blew the pipelines is utterly preposterous, get a grip please.

https://twitter.com/radeksikorski/status/1574800653724966915

:getin:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

its only about 60-70m deep, just get a couple limpet mines down there

not saying they did without more info, but you could do that from a chopper

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

spankmeister posted:

Yeah, the US actually wants Germany to conclude a separate peace with Russia. It's good to them

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

If we look past all the posturing, Russia is hosed if they can’t sell their gas to Europe. Also, it’s not like you can close the tap, as far as I know, you use it or lose it. So who could’ve benefited from this attack, someone that is an enemy of Russia and is not directly affected if Germany runs out of gas, hmmm?

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Carthag Tuek posted:

its only about 60-70m deep, just get a couple limpet mines down there

not saying they did without more info, but you could do that from a chopper

According to that Twitter guy, the us was also testing underwater drones nearby

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

If we look past all the posturing, Russia is hosed if they can’t sell their gas to Europe. Also, it’s not like you can close the tap, as far as I know, you use it or lose it. So who could’ve benefited from this attack, someone that is an enemy of Russia and is not directly affected if Germany runs out of gas, hmmm?

In the longer term they can sell their gas on the world market which due to the magic of the invisible hand will get them the same revenue even with Europe sanctioning them. Unless Europe builds a bunch of new nuclear plants, they're going to have to buy fossil fuels externally, and that will bid up the price and allow Russia to make the same money by selling to those third parties. You're just added a step or two

icantfindaname has issued a correction as of 22:07 on Sep 27, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

spankmeister posted:

Yeah, the US would never do anything to stop Nord Stream 2 that's crazy talk.

https://twitter.com/bbcworld/status/1208225259016671232
Nord Stream 2: Trump approves sanctions on Russia gas pipeline

quote:

President Donald Trump has signed a law that will impose sanctions on any firm that helps Russia's state-owned gas company, Gazprom, finish a pipeline into the European Union.

The sanctions target firms building Nord Stream 2, an undersea pipeline that will allow Russia to increase gas exports to Germany.

The US considers the project a security risk to Europe.

Both Russia and the EU have strongly condemned the US sanctions.

Congress voted through the measures as part of a defence bill last week and the legislation, which described the pipeline as a "tool of coercion", was signed off by Mr Trump on Friday.

https://mwi.usma.edu/a-blast-from-the-past-the-role-of-maritime-sabotage-in-strategic-competition/

quote:

A Blast from the Past? The Role of Maritime Sabotage in Strategic Competition

Today, as the US military shifts priorities from counterterrorism to strategic competition, SOF have begun to rebalance to focus on both countering violent extremist organizations and competing with peer and near-peer actors. In light of SOF’s history with sabotage and recent renewed interest in the subject (strategic sabotage was listed as a priority research topic for the Joint Special Operations University in 2020, for example), the time is ripe for an analytical examination of the subject. Maritime sabotage operations in particular deserve further study given the growing importance of maritime regions from the Indo-Pacific to the Black Sea.

Trends in Maritime Sabotage

In a recent report, the Center for Naval Analyses examined past instances of maritime sabotage to help inform policymakers, practitioners, and researchers. My coauthors and I built a dataset of unclassified instances of maritime sabotage to facilitate our analysis, then coded each event according to a set of variables.