Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

I’m on the fence about this because I understand how deep ideas and conceptions pushed on people during childhood can go, but also as an adult you get to decide what you want to believe and do. I grew up in a conservative household and was raised Lutheran until I was a teenager. By the time I was like 17 I decided “I don’t believe in either of these things” and never looked back.

I always think about a friend I have who was in a very abusive relationship when she was younger. Her ex would fly off the handle and beat the poo poo out of her, then later would cry to her and say that he didn’t mean it but that his step dad used to do it to him when he was younger. Like, that’s not an excuse, it just makes you doing it even worse.

Agreed 100%. Parents can be an explanation for why they believe hateful stuff but it's never an excuse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Lol Luisa has a whole song about how she cannot, in fact, keep up with the pressure.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
We regret to inform you that being slightly wrong on social media is a deliberate ploy to boost engagement.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean that’s probably not true but I don’t doubt the terminally online believe that

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

I’m on the fence about this because I understand how deep ideas and conceptions pushed on people during childhood can go, but also as an adult you get to decide what you want to believe and do. I grew up in a conservative household and was raised Lutheran until I was a teenager. By the time I was like 17 I decided “I don’t believe in either of these things” and never looked back.

I always think about a friend I have who was in a very abusive relationship when she was younger. Her ex would fly off the handle and beat the poo poo out of her, then later would cry to her and say that he didn’t mean it but that his step dad used to do it to him when he was younger. Like, that’s not an excuse, it just makes you doing it even worse.

Stuff like that is a reason, but it is not an excuse

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Skwirl posted:

Being part of a minority group and then joining a group that explicitly wants to kill everyone in your minority group is always a weird thing to me.

It keeps things exciting! Really spices up your friendship group

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ernest Rohm, who was a close personal friend of Hitler and was the founder of the Brownshirts was also homosexual. Guess what happened to him.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean that’s probably not true but I don’t doubt the terminally online believe that
It's more plausible than you'd think, although no it doesn't mean that every single time some dumb poo poo happens it's astroturf:

You're right that online poo poo isn't nearly as important to the bottom line as people like me want to believe it is, but also the people whose jobs involve getting engagement aren't stupid and can run basic cost/benefit analysis the way you'd expect an average college graduate to. It really doesn't cost much in relative terms to astroturf if you have capital and want to do it, and if randos with no skin in the game can imagine how to accomplish it with minimal effort there's no reason to think people who are actually good at social engineering haven't already thought of it and use it as part of their toolkit.

"This is a thing that happens because there's no systemic incentive for it to not happen" is not the same as "There is a coordinated conspiracy to manipulate and control our lives and everything must be filtered through that lens."

Of course that's assuming you're not deliberately just :jerkbag:-ing off to go "Oh you silly terminally online folk always getting it wrong" as a form of discrediting, which I mean again most people aren't so stupid they don't know what's going on. They just choose to ignore it because giving a gently caress is tedious.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean people thought that the whole meming about Morbius was some super powerful studio astroturf. People online just think everything is fake even if it doesn’t make a ton of sense.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean people thought that the whole meming about Morbius was some super powerful studio astroturf. People online just think everything is fake even if it doesn’t make a ton of sense.

Have you even heard of the Gulf of Tonkin???

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Or 9/11

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

CharlestheHammer posted:

This is always the worst for me. It's a huge pet peeve that makes me really salty when someone looks at a video and says "oh that's so fake it's obviously CGI/a trick", because (a) who gives a poo poo [on funny things] and (b) just as often they are wrong as someone posts a follow-up news article, watches frame by frame, or similar

Like most recently I got it really into it with a couple people who could not believe that the cops tied up a woman and put her on the train tracks to be hit by a train, looking right at the video and saying it was fake

Just world fallacy is a real stinker

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Agreed 100%. Parents can be an explanation for why they believe hateful stuff but it's never an excuse.

Plus they'll never truly understand.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

You've got the "and then" part backwards. 90% of far-right LGBT people had those values implanted by crazy parents or by unfettered childhood internet access far before they realized they weren't cishet

Ehh, there's plenty who switch sides after realizing they aren't cishet. Like Dave Rubin having a pleasant conversation with Ben "I don't think you should be allowed to be married, I wouldn't go to your anniversary party and I think it's morally wrong you have children" Shapiro on his podcast.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

This is why you screenshot your tweets, folks

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Conservatives love a forgiveness/redemption arc though, 1) they can claim they are friends with an "other" and it's totally no big deal and then 2) the "other" can repent their ways and be celebrated as one who used to walk on the dark side but now has seen the light. Plus when they fall back to their old ways, they can be saved again through the healing power of prayer!

*offer not available to all varieties of "other"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

My Spirit Otter posted:

I will never screenshot my tweets

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

greazeball posted:

Conservatives love a forgiveness/redemption arc though, 1) they can claim they are friends with an "other" and it's totally no big deal and then 2) the "other" can repent their ways and be celebrated as one who used to walk on the dark side but now has seen the light. Plus when they fall back to their old ways, they can be saved again through the healing power of prayer!

*offer not available to all varieties of "other"

I get why conservatives vaguely accept them, it's a version of "I can't be racist, this is my black friend," I don't understand why the "black friend" goes along with it, that hatred their "friends" constantly espouse is gonna catch up with them and they won't have a support network because those friends won't do poo poo to help them.

Like when I googled Rubin to make sure I was right about him having a kid, it said he was looking to relocate to Florida, and as a gay man with a husband and child, there's serious political groups working very hard to eliminate his right to have any of those in Florida.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

zoux posted:

I will never screenshot my tweets

I guess you'll be the only one enjoying your favorite tweets then lol

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Yes but you see none of those people are the Protagonist of Reality and furthermore...

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

My Spirit Otter posted:

Really that's all that matters

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

My Spirit Otter posted:

Same as it ever was

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/komm_breakfast/status/1573865849198637057

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

freeedr posted:

Same as it ever was

:drat:

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Yes. Correct. Modern.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Skwirl posted:

I get why conservatives vaguely accept them, it's a version of "I can't be racist, this is my black friend," I don't understand why the "black friend" goes along with it, that hatred their "friends" constantly espouse is gonna catch up with them and they won't have a support network because those friends won't do poo poo to help them.

Like when I googled Rubin to make sure I was right about him having a kid, it said he was looking to relocate to Florida, and as a gay man with a husband and child, there's serious political groups working very hard to eliminate his right to have any of those in Florida.

I can only imagine there's a kind of validation from a bunch of superficial positive attention and turbocharged smugness that comes from feeling like you're better than the other people like you. Maybe some kind of social calculus that you can weasel your way into a higher status and then just fade away, but I think that's a small number of cases and not very successful anyway.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
https://twitter.com/ufobri/status/1574176371508551681

https://twitter.com/stvrchilde/status/1574383927074197512
https://twitter.com/fotosmoke/status/1574456460867616768

https://twitter.com/insultsrare/status/1574387562721865728

https://twitter.com/BrandyLJensen/status/1574141610752884737

My Spirit Otter posted:

The second one was like "Now that Italy is voting fascist, making fun of Italians is not just funny but morally correct."

Looks like the second one may have been someone making a joke about that Yarvin guy, but people assumed it was true and ran with it? Not sure on that one.
https://twitter.com/ETVPod/status/1574480751042727937?cxt=HHwWgsC8-dX51tkrAAAA

Read After Burning has a new favorite as of 21:57 on Sep 26, 2022

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Evilreaver posted:

This is always the worst for me. It's a huge pet peeve that makes me really salty when someone looks at a video and says "oh that's so fake it's obviously CGI/a trick", because (a) who gives a poo poo [on funny things] and (b) just as often they are wrong as someone posts a follow-up news article, watches frame by frame, or similar

Like most recently I got it really into it with a couple people who could not believe that the cops tied up a woman and put her on the train tracks to be hit by a train, looking right at the video and saying it was fake

Just world fallacy is a real stinker

All cabooses are bastards

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/radishharmers/status/1574512239872294912

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
https://twitter.com/lilgrapefruits/status/1574148372134793216

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

How is he so good?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
https://twitter.com/burgeroise/status/1574350667116085249?s=46&t=eL_mqGdrqHs6r5pK86RnSQ

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Truss and Meloni now have to have a Thatcher-off to decide who is the cruelest female head of government.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Leon Sumbitches posted:

How is he so good?

The Turkish man assists him by advising the optimal chess moves.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/RadishHarmers/status/1574544493461884949

I know Sridhar from his pre-Twitter days as a logician, and while I'm very happy that he's found success it's a bit strange to see.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/sundellviz/status/1574492250620542980?s=46

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

https://twitter.com/DARTprobe/status/1574538291449237505

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

https://twitter.com/altioraem/status/1574041991435935746

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Read After Burning posted:

Looks like the second one may have been someone making a joke about that Yarvin guy, but people assumed it was true and ran with it? Not sure on that one.
https://twitter.com/ETVPod/status/1574480751042727937?cxt=HHwWgsC8-dX51tkrAAAA

Here's a screenshot from a cached version from Discord:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Wasn't a very good joke tweet tbh -- Besides Moldbug's name, "dark enlightenment" is the only term in that whole tweet that you actually have to be terminally online to recognize.