Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Ruggan posted:

Seaweed for ATI: where do I get it? Literally trawling small island for the rest of my life?

I don’t think it’s mailable so yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I'm working on horn canteen GM and can't spend the coal/black powder fast enough on other things, so if anyone is exploring BRC for coal and has extra horns let me know.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Klungar posted:

Hit T100 this morning, +2500 inventory feels sooooooooo good.

Just hit it now and yeah, it's niiiiiiiiiiiice.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
That‘s one of the more interesting parts of the game.

Your options are:
A) craft blackpowder and send it to Beatrix for friendship levels. Craft and vendor all the other stuff, this will maximise your uptime on Horns.
B) find a couple of connected GMs (Explosives/Bottle Rockets for Coal) and work out a cycle where you explore zone1 until max inventory, then explore zone2 until max inventory and use everything to craft 3-4 different items.

Focusing on a single GM is way faster but wastes a lot of stamina, working on a couple at the same time is more stamina efficient but it will take significantly longer to actually get the AK.

Personally I went with stamina efficiency, I really hate voiding items. This had the effect that I was AK starved at times but then suddenly finished 3-4 GMs within a day and was short on silver.

Past T100 you will generally be silver locked anyway, like I am tower 134 and have the AK for 149. But missing 180b silver or something stupid. So this, imo, supports my preference for doing multiple GMs concurrently.

Friendship system:
Even if you are not a Beta Patreon, you can already use the Friendship system to get an early start on friendship levels (which will be required for cooking), you just don‘t have the nice mailbox interface for it and can‘t check your progress.
Cooking goes beta this week, it looks neat in Alpha already, so I think it will be 2-3 weeks from Beta to Live. It heavily ties into the Friendship system so it‘s a good idea to start this.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
People are saying you can unlock cooking by building a kitchen in the farmhouse but I'm not seeing it.

Also, is there a reference list of townsfolk's favorite items somewhere?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Salvor_Hardin posted:

People are saying you can unlock cooking by building a kitchen in the farmhouse but I'm not seeing it.

Cooking is Beta only, Friendship Levels is now available to everyone.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Cool, I just dumped a bunch of junk on them and got a few up above L20. I wonder when they start paying out.

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Cool, I just dumped a bunch of junk on them and got a few up above L20. I wonder when they start paying out.

The paying out part is still in beta, they pay out at 10,20 etc...

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Ah well. Back on the various GM grinds. I'm still tower 57 or so.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Salvor_Hardin posted:

https://buddy.farm/townsfolk/

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
I guessed that the rabbit likes carrots and now that sucker is gonna eat my weight in carrots.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
PSA: the townfolk gift menu does not respect your item lock settings.
Don't give them one-offs, super rares, gold, etc.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Ineptitude posted:

PSA: the townfolk gift menu does not respect your item lock settings.
Don't give them one-offs, super rares, gold, etc.

Hopefully that gets fixed ASAP- that’s terrible.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

So I’ve tried cooking. Mixed opinions. It’s a neat mechanic and I’m sure it’s going to develop and grow over time. However, I’m not a huge fan of needing to micromanage my cooking because of all these intermediate timers.

For those of you that don’t know, you start a cooking recipe and during the time the recipe takes to cook, you can “stir”, “taste” and “season” the meal for various bonuses. For instance, stirring reduces the cooking time and seasoning gives you bonus xp. Each of these activities are on their own independent timers and can be done a certain number of times based on the recipe you are cooking. If you aren’t around or watching the progress to click the button to perform these activities and the recipe progresses or completes, you lose the chance to perform them.

As an example, Bone Broth takes 10 minutes and you can stir once 1 minute in, taste once 3 minutes in, and season once 5 minutes in. You can do them all as long as you push their button before the recipe completes. That means that to get optimal rewards for the resources you spend on this 10 minute activity, you need to push 4 buttons. Higher level recipes change the number of each action you can perform (for instance you can stir Onion Soup 3 times as long as you wait out the timer between each stir), and on what cooldown it can be done on.

I gave my feedback in beta chat and got mostly the response that “it’s a reward to do it, not a punishment to not” - to which I’d say, same thing. Maybe the higher level recipes which take much longer have more forgiving timers and I won’t feel like I’m missing out by not babysitting the game.

Also, the QOL perks that you can buy for gold are effectively mandatory. So buckle down for an outlay of at least 350 gold.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

That's a bummer about cooking.

So there's no benefit to upping friendship levels yet?

Unrelatedly, I blew through an inventory (~1100) of mealworms and only got 12 gold fliers, and five of those were double hook luck. gently caress that particular fish.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Hobojim posted:

That's a bummer about cooking.

So there's no benefit to upping friendship levels yet?

Unrelatedly, I blew through an inventory (~1100) of mealworms and only got 12 gold fliers, and five of those were double hook luck. gently caress that particular fish.

Yeah, there is. Friendship levels now grant rewards at 10, 20, 30, etc (might be beta only right now). Some of those rewards are recipes you’ll need for cooking.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Ruggan posted:

Yeah, there is. Friendship levels now grant rewards at 10, 20, 30, etc (might be beta only right now). Some of those rewards are recipes you’ll need for cooking.

Must just be beta, I've got pretty much everybody above 10 and there's no rewards yet.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Friendship Rewards are still Beta only

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Someone has mastered gold fliers.

My god.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
I don't really feel like I needed ANOTHER grind, tbh. I'm not really that excited for cooking. I'm T70 but I might just be done.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Hobojim posted:

My god.

Should be on some sort of watchlist.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Hobojim posted:

My god.

Oh my god

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

It doesn't seem that hard if you have a ton of grab bags from exchange center/capybara/tower. You'd still need to do some manual fishing but they're probably automating mealworms anyway.

Just GMed scissors which now frees up my steel production to finish up red shields. Crossbow is close but it will finish on its own within the next few days. OJ will get there in a couple days by itself too. Just mastered leeks so my farm's on to mushrooms again. Getting real close on garnet and ruby rings, should have those done this week, after which point the tower concern becomes silver instead of AK again. And the monthly AK will push me over for another tower level tomorrow as well, so by my estimation I will have the AK to go from 88 to 95 by the weekend (and silver to only 91). Red shields do sell for a lot more than scissors so that will help with income a bit.

Xerol fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Sep 27, 2022

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

graventy posted:

I don't really feel like I needed ANOTHER grind, tbh. I'm not really that excited for cooking. I'm T70 but I might just be done.

Same.

Feels like the game takes up enough time as it is. I barely manage to spend my daily nets and AP/AC.

Im glad new features are added but we need to have methods to speed existing features up then.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
I’d love to be able to hire some staff tbh. I’m not short of money so could pay a decent wage to a farmhand, someone to man a fishing boat and someone to maybe collect specific items from exploring zones for starters.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

monkeytennis posted:

I’d love to be able to hire some staff tbh. I’m not short of money so could pay a decent wage to a farmhand, someone to man a fishing boat and someone to maybe collect specific items from exploring zones for starters.

Isn’t that what Fishing Charters/Expeditions are for? Paying gold to automate those functions?

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I've said several times I wouldn't mind being able to send a charter out for silver to use up my large nets. Or even just to auto-sell the fish from them with like a 10% cut taken out.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Klungar posted:

Isn’t that what Fishing Charters/Expeditions are for? Paying gold to automate those functions?

Yes absolutely but I want to pay in silver :v:

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

I unlocked Pirate's Cove and got exploring 90 today, so now I'm starting on a towering investment.

I'm only at part 2, so long way to go. I have about half of the herbs and honey I need saved up already. Are there any other upcoming roadblocks I should get started on for that quest line? I've been hucking crab claws in the well for a while already.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Should I be throwing grape juice on stuff to try and level farming? Assuming I am even with grape -> juice production -> consumption in a given day.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

H110Hawk posted:

Should I be throwing grape juice on stuff to try and level farming? Assuming I am even with grape -> juice production -> consumption in a given day.

Yes, you should be max juicing whatever crop takes the longest (Cotton/Beet/Rice/whatever) every day.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Hobojim posted:

I unlocked Pirate's Cove and got exploring 90 today, so now I'm starting on a towering investment.

I'm only at part 2, so long way to go. I have about half of the herbs and honey I need saved up already. Are there any other upcoming roadblocks I should get started on for that quest line? I've been hucking crab claws in the well for a while already.
The step I'm on requires 400 Dragonfly (only from Lemur pet), 400 Grasshopper (only from Lemur pet), 300 Gold Leaf, 300 Gold Feathers, 500 Gold Peppers, 300 Waterlilies and 100 Spiked Shells. A bunch of other stuff as well, but those are the ones that I haven't gathered incidentally or aren't cheap to grind.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Ghostlight posted:

The step I'm on requires 400 Dragonfly (only from Lemur pet), 400 Grasshopper (only from Lemur pet), 300 Gold Leaf, 300 Gold Feathers, 500 Gold Peppers, 300 Waterlilies and 100 Spiked Shells. A bunch of other stuff as well, but those are the ones that I haven't gathered incidentally or aren't cheap to grind.

Make sure to pay attention to which items are Tradeable. People will give you all the Dragonfly/Grasshopper/Gold Peppers you need if you ask for them in Giveaways.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Hobojim posted:

https://buddy.farm/q/a-towering-investment-i/ start looking through this

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Lone Goat posted:

Yes, you should be max juicing whatever crop takes the longest (Cotton/Beet/Rice/whatever) every day.

Cool. That's what I did today and just need to up my grape production a little bit to keep up, especially now that some dumb pet brings me bottles of wine like I'm some kind of lush.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

H110Hawk posted:

Cool. That's what I did today and just need to up my grape production a little bit to keep up, especially now that some dumb pet brings me bottles of wine like I'm some kind of lush.

Eventually there’s a pet that brings you grape juice and they’ll bring you more than enough for your daily needs, so you’ll just have a ton of wine coming in.

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Ghostlight posted:

The orange geckos in that step are my current roadblock. I've been chucking salt in the well for spiked shells, so I've got plenty of those but only like 55 geckos. I could grind them out by exploring, but I'm still trying to max my skill and would rather use my AP/cider for that.

Definitely ask for dragonflies/grasshoppers in the giveaway channel. There's currently no use for them outside of this quest and a lot of longtime players are drowning in them.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

H110Hawk posted:

You get the daily need of grape juice from lvl 6 baboon.

Iirc i had that long before farming 99

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I started playing this recently after messing around a bit a year ago. I'm LLSix ingame. I'm 12/14/7/22. I've read a couple of the recommended guides but I'm not clear on something. Should I invest in a small orchard right away, or just save until I unlock the forest? I've got 100k in the bank and the orchard is only 50k.

On an unrelated note, I hate the quest to get a steak kabob. I need one more and they cost ~10k right now while the quest only pays 1k. I'm guessing this used to be less of a loss before in-game inflation?