Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

What early Overwatch had better was memes, funny clips and fanart. Or community:

https://i.imgur.com/cbOaBiv.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/q0DZNih.mp4

I've been reading the old MeiMei thread. Lot of good stuff and I've barely reached the launch of the Overwatch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Just incredible how Blizzard tanked all that good will by pivoting hard to 1) eSports, and 2) developing the sequel, instead of focusing on characters and story via constant updates.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

:yeah:

Content-pause before the OW2 was pretty stupid.
How much does it even cost to publish some Overwatch comics? Comics are pretty dirt cheap and keep fans happy.
Or do some videos to flesh out the storyline outside the hero releases.

Or go full hog and release an Overwatch anime on Netflix, like CDproject Red did for Cyberpunk 2077. They are getting a lot of new and returning players thanks to that.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Jack Trades posted:

What's the difference between GM players and OWL players?

The GM players are on Evolution, for starters. :v:

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Just incredible how Blizzard tanked all that good will by pivoting hard to 1) eSports, and 2) developing the sequel, instead of focusing on characters and story via constant updates.

Every time people blame muh esports, it's always just Blizzard trying to wrestle with the inherent contradiction of fps but also moba and pleasing no one. From how they've handled the actual esports side of things, the idea that they care about it enough to change significant gameplay elements is funny as hell.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
They had a brand new golden goose IP and they let it go to poo poo, it's incredibly funny how bad they are at their jobs. In an alternate reality we'd be discussing the overwatch anime and how it ties to the short single player tracer game they just announced.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Arzachel posted:

Every time people blame muh esports, it's always just Blizzard trying to wrestle with the inherent contradiction of fps but also moba and pleasing no one. From how they've handled the actual esports side of things, the idea that they care about it enough to change significant gameplay elements is funny as hell.

I said they diverted resources towards eSports that could have been better used on the actual game. I didn't say they did it WELL.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Also the thing how they fostered a frat like culture of serial sexual harassment, that was kinda the big potato.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Jack Trades posted:

What level of the playerbase should it be balanced around? Bronze? Gold? Diamond? GM?

Probably Platinum because that’s the average, if not Gold because casual players that don’t rank are probably lower skill on average. Shouldn’t you try to benefit the biggest slice of players?

I guess now you would balance to please whatever group buys the most battle passes and premium content.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Ashcans posted:

I guess now you would balance to please whatever group buys the most battle passes and premium content.

The ideal balance now is to make the latest hero OP as hell so that you HAVE to have it as soon as possible. Then nerf them once the battlepass is over.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

They even gave themselves a 2 week period between releasing a new hero on a way too long battlepass and that hero being playable in ranked, so that they can release an overpowered hero that everyone wants to play (and thus buy battlepass levels for) but then go "oopsie, we accidentally made them too strong, here let us nerf it before it enters competitive".

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

OWL was an amazing scam getting billionaires to pay tens of millions for a slot in the 3rd or 4th most popular esport.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
This discussion of launch overwatch has me thinking of 1) Overwatch Classic lmao 2) trying hard to remember what the game was like at launch. I played a ton at launch and in the first year and I don't actually have a good idea of what's changed, because I was living through it and not really impartially keeping track.

Also, What's up with DIVA these days?

Actually, does anyone have a link to a series of matches that was TF2 pros invited to play against OW devs? It was in the run up to the release and I recall a kings row map where the dev Cassidy was apparently a former quake rail gunner champ and he was a beast. The matches seemed so exciting in my memory, I'd really like to rewatch it but it's been very hard for me to Google.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

the average ladder player is gold and if you took the entire player population the average would probably equate to silver or bronze level

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

comedyblissoption posted:

the average ladder player is gold and if you took the entire player population the average would probably equate to silver or bronze level

Still too generous imo.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

What Overwatch was at the beginning?

Bastion was OP:
https://i.imgur.com/ayN79lZ.mp4

Everyone died to DVA bombs:
https://i.imgur.com/2DbEZbP.mp4

Self-damage sucked:
https://i.imgur.com/30tTHrd.mp4

Junkrat was OP:

People killed themselves all the time:
https://i.imgur.com/nbkIv40.mp4

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

OW2 does some things right and Bastion rework is one of them.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I went in expecting very little from Gundam but it’s just so much fun and there’s lots of potential for improvement.

Zaku II and Sazabi supremacy, baby

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Chillgamesh posted:

Ehh a few of the characters in Gundam are just hard-ported Overwatch characters (Soldier 76 > Pale Rider being the most egregious one) but the movement system and pacing make it feel completely different to me.

Honestly Zaku II to Tracer is the most conspicuous because that moveset is hilariously similar lol

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
https://twitter.com/IdolJose729/status/1573937677648338945

Overwatch also has loving nothing on this for PotG animations

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I sunno, Sombra hacking someone else's PotG is pretty great

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Jack B Nimble posted:

I sunno, Sombra hacking someone else's PotG is pretty great

It was effective literally every single time it would happen to one of our group (when my friends actually played the game).

This was especially true for me, the Junkrat player, who would be all confident about a high kill game, and was sure I'd be getting POTG, only to have it hacked out from under me. Top tier POTG intro. It's not number 1, which of course is Junkrat shooting himself in the balls, but it's up there

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
Torbjorn making lava angels in the bathing suit skin is best.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Other top-tier POTGS:
- Grillmaster 76
- Ana relaxing on the beach
- Both of the DVA self-destructs (selfie and fireworks)
- Shocked hamster
- Bob sweating oil as Ashe does a William Tell

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Torb should get one referencing all those "dead torb and sentry gets 3 kills vids". Just have a sentry firing at targets off screen in the foreground and torb taking a dirt nap far in the background

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.
Torb face planted in a pipe of his goo (or his ragdoll flying in from off screen), turret firing at three different targets, and three kill sounds going off.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

The pharah highlight intro where she takes her helmet off and it does a dramatic zoom on her face is really funny if you use the enchanted armor skin

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Countblanc posted:

Torb should get one referencing all those "dead torb and sentry gets 3 kills vids". Just have a sentry firing at targets off screen in the foreground and torb taking a dirt nap far in the background

Best one of those was a game where Torb managed to glitch through the map as he ulted (when it gave his turret rockets) so the POTG was just him pinwheeling through the void while the kills popped up in the stream.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

TheKingofSprings posted:

Honestly Zaku II to Tracer is the most conspicuous because that moveset is hilariously similar lol

A lot of the Gundam Evo characters are 75% one character from OW and then bits of one or two other characters thrown in. Zaku II is Tracer except it sorta has Reaper's wraith form, Methuss is Mercy and Torb, Unicorn is Lucio with a gun, Exia is Genji with Doomfist's charged attacks, etc. I actually really like Gundam's emphasis on self-sustainability and no pure healbots; everyone has a decent gun and nobody gives up a gun to heal. The game is a hot fuckin mess but it's also honestly pretty fun. It's a neat diversion while I wait for OW2 at least. Dunno what they were thinking adding a hitscan sniper with 1100 damage uncharged headshots though

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

GM Sniper sucks because it's the only suit that's "what if an Overwatch character was stronger" when every other OW analog is demonstrably weaker than their original and better for it.

And the OW character in question is loving Widowmaker

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

I would vote for a president who vowed to make snipers in video games illegal.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Whitenoise Poster posted:

I would vote for a president who vowed to make snipers in video games illegal.

my platform: national gamer ID assigned at birth, a cheating/racism/sexism/etc. ban in one game is *permanent* for that game, and if you acquire X number of bans in other games your ID ceases to function for everything

if you circumvent this in any way you get sent to SuperJail. 100% approval rating

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

28 Days Later is actually a great movie

fuck starcraft

comedyblissoption posted:

this is what ow looked like on release when it was much more popular

2 shield tanks: reinhardt and winston (not really)
3 healers with much lower healing output: mercy, lucio, and zen

Just give me this again instead of OW2

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

DrunkPanda posted:

Just give me this again instead of OW2

They'll release Overwatch Classic in 2030 and charge you for it again

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

BabyRyoga posted:

Welp, this is where we are at with ow1, folks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5vRlbGlFto

It's probably where we were at like 2 years ago tbh.
#1 on europe dps ladder is a blatant cheater advertising their cheats in-game and on youtube lol :shrug:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYeL8YaQsA4

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/overwatch/t/notorious-cheater-rank-1-on-eu-servers-and-still-not-banned/692460

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

hahahahaha

https://twitter.com/pcgamer/status/1574806609116684293?s=20&t=Qj_vKSZWa8w5b82SR5gnWQ

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

heroes of newerth tried that strategy

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Holy gently caress lol

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

You also have to have a working phone number to tie to your account.

I know it's a cheating prevention thing, but I like to imagine it's Blizzard doubling down on "do you guys not have phones?" :3:

Father Wendigo fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Sep 27, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Came here to post that article and ridicule on it.

This is shaping up to be a disaster; hell Cyberpunk has never been better so it's time to pass the mantle baby!!