Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Well we're about 30 seconds from someone posting the whole thing in the spoiler free thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
I'm really interested in how the general audience will split between being "team alicent" or "team rhaenyra"

I'm guessing vast majority side with Rhaenyra at this point

Typo fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Sep 26, 2022

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm team Rhaenyra fr

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

All you had to do was bed the drat princess, Leanor!

Worried bout those kids though, I can't imagine brown haired Targaryens can last that long.

Ubersandwich
Jun 1, 2003

I'm absolutely Team Rhaenyra right now, she was by far the most sympathetic character last episode despite all her flaws.

Though I understand the political reality Alicent has to manage. I imagine we're going to get a few more turns, after all this is a GoT show.

I do wish we got to see Daemon and Laena interact a bit more.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

theflyingexecutive posted:

there's a line from the books when Leanor's sexual preferences came up, along the lines of

"so what of it? I do not like fish, yet when fish is served, I eat it"

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Punkin Spunkin posted:

kinda wish we'd seen laena finding and taming vhagar...seems like a big deal

This show has a really jarring way of just making stuff that feels like a big deal not matter. The first series established that anybody can die at any time and this raised the stakes of the show. This series seems to be trying to establish that anything that matters maybe totally doesn't and it's seriously lowering the stakes of the show.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

They're giving us the minimum necessary context for the continent spanning war that's going to take up the next six and a half seasons

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Worried bout those kids though, I can't imagine brown haired Targaryens can last that long.
For real, how you gonna go 0-3 on kids in 10 years? None of these people are smart.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
The seed is Strong

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
I'm still on team Viserys. May he rot for a hundred years.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

nooneofconsequence posted:

For real, how you gonna go 0-3 on kids in 10 years? None of these people are smart.
Margaery really had the right idea with Renly.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Captain Splendid posted:

The seed is Strong

The Strong pullout game is weak.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Typo posted:

I'm really interested in how the general audience will split between being "team alicent" or "team rhaenyra"

I'm guessing vast majority side with Rhaenyra at this point

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I've read Words of Ice and Fire so i know how generally a few characters end up, but god drat i hope something terrible happens to Cole. He's just such a shithead.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Ubersandwich posted:

I'm absolutely Team Rhaenyra right now, she was by far the most sympathetic character last episode despite all her flaws.

Though I understand the political reality Alicent has to manage. I imagine we're going to get a few more turns, after all this is a GoT show.

It's really obvious where Alicent is coming from though. She really wants to be queen and have Aegon be the king, where Rhaenyra doesn't seem to really care at all about ruling or maintaining her marriage.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Jerkface posted:

Daemon shook his head no to saving the baby, Laena wanted to die a dragonriders death so ran to go get burnt up.

Yeah, I was a little confused on exactly what happened so I looked up the wiki and found out her death is even sadder in the source material.

The baby dies right after being born, Laena is very ill and basically dying from the emotional and physical toll, she wants to ride her dragon one last time but collapses on her way up the steps to Vhagar and dies there.

Ubersandwich
Jun 1, 2003

It's really obvious where Alicent is coming from though. She really wants to be queen and have Aegon be the king, where Rhaenyra doesn't seem to really care at all about ruling or maintaining her marriage.

Rhaenyra is definitely one of those people who love the title and don't care for the responsibility. It's obvious her agreement with her husband has pretty much caused her marriage to suffer a decade of inertia.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I don't think she really wants to be the queen that much, I think the fact that her three children (and likely herself as well) are going to be fed to dragons or beheaded the day Rhaenyra takes the throne is a pretty good motivation.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Right so yall are listing examples of Dany surviving regular fire while Laena was burnt by dragon fire

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

zoux posted:

I don't think she really wants to be the queen that much, I think the fact that her three children (and likely herself as well) are going to be fed to dragons or beheaded the day Rhaenyra takes the throne is a pretty good motivation.

Yeah I’ve never gotten the vibe that Alicent was particularly power hungry.

Caros
May 14, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

Drogon burns the throne rather than Jon Snow, making a metaphorical point about his displeasure over his mother's death in her pursuit of power rather than killing her murderer.

So, fairly smart?

Drogon sees his mom stabbed to death and sets fire to a pile of swords. Poor fucker barely has object permanence.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Mameluke posted:

Right so yall are listing examples of Dany surviving regular fire while Laena was burnt by dragon fire

Her brother would’ve survived his golden crown but when it solidified, it expanded and caused his head to cave in. He survived the molten gold being poured on him tho, he was yelling in triumph until his brains got squished.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

are dragons born speaking high valyrian or do they have to take lessons

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
This is legit speculation but I really hope Alicent and Larys don't have some sort of dark affair or coercive relationship because I kind of got that vibe

ruddiger posted:

Her brother would’ve survived his golden crown but when it solidified, it expanded and caused his head to cave in. He survived the molten gold being poured on him tho, he was yelling in triumph until his brains got squished.

Exactly he was killed by the weight and movement of the metal only

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

He had a heart attack because it turns out molten gold is delicious and he was so overjoyed at being one of only three people alive to be able to taste it.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Mameluke posted:

This is legit speculation but I really hope Alicent and Larys don't have some sort of dark affair or coercive relationship because I kind of got that vibe

"I feel certain you would reward me in time" carries a different meaning in that case.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

DukeofCA posted:

It's a refreshing change of pace that Aegon has absolutely zero interest in challenging his cousin's claim to the throne.

"Oh, Jace is gonna be king before me? Cool. I'm gonna go back to trying to whack off on some poor schlubs' head."

The king we deserve

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
You guys are on tean rhaenyra right now because Olivia Cooke is playing her part like a villain. She is ready to kill Rhaenyra's children to win the throne; Rhaeyra hasn't faced the difficulty question yet and hasn't conmitted to kill Alicent's children for the throne.

My problem with Rhaenyra is that she is not fit for a ruler or bother to learn any realpolitiking. Can't root for her. I am on team hot daemon.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Criston's one of the only characters that hasn't aged a day, while everyone else has aged a decade or two (or four in Viserys' case). Daemon gets a pass because of that Targ/Doctor Who natural age defying beauty. Criston though, dude must have a serious moisturising routine.

It's probably because of its roots as a historical story and the need for constant time jumps but this show - more than any other similar show in recent times - is really nailing the episodic feeling. Each episode feels like an era in these people's lives. It's great.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I am on and will always be on team white walker. Death to all non dead humans.

mweber
Dec 24, 2003
Team Daemon.

Glad that they re-evaluated the wigs they had on some of these characters for this episode.

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

Taem Daemon

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Team Viserys, visibly ageing into a corpse every episode

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Losing Mark Addy was sad but losing Targ Paddy will be devastating

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
So who is going to be the next Hand?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Vegetable posted:

Team Viserys, visibly ageing into a corpse every episode

I hope he’s a literal skeleton puppet in the last episode, still being voiced by Paddy of course.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

great episode, I like that they throw you into the time jump just like the first episode. and very good job by Emma D’Arcy, now thats acting

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

stephenthinkpad posted:

So who is going to be the next Hand?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2BeBdEqmJ0&t=12s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

ruddiger posted:

I hope he’s a literal skeleton puppet in the last episode, still being voiced by Paddy of course.

:same:

Let him rule eternal as a talking skull on the Iron Throne, with a series of ziplines and pulleys to move him around his beloved Valyria model.