Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Art Blakey was a very good drummer/band leader.

Everybody should have "Moanin'" it is very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

went to the estate sale of a recently-departed beloved local radio dj today

unfortunately, the dude lived in a small house which was absolutely packed with stuff, so I could have spent years digging down and mining for gold out of the hundreds and hundreds of records in there (and this after the hardcore types had been through for a solid four hours already), but with the room with most of the records in being about the size of a walk-in closet, I grabbed a few things that looked cool or interesting or were a guaranteed good time (like that almost-complete stack of karajan beethoven symphonies there, missing only 7 and 9 out of that set - also, now finding out that karajan did multiple settings of the symphonies, but these all appear to be from the same run - the covers match, at least)

also, uh

yeah because why not, I don't have a copy of it and aielli was the sort of dude who'd throw on whatever he felt like, and if that meant fifteen seconds of dead air while he went digging for a cd (whether it be obscure groups from halfway around the world or big-name pop acts that wandered across his radar or the titanic soundtrack again), so be it.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I am collecting that Beethoven set too!

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I had some downtime between dr. Appointments the other day and hit a few junk/thrift shops.

I finally found a copy of Herb Albert's Rise for $3 mixed in with musty oldies at a dimly lit junk shop. Got it outside and the jacket and record were both in mint condition!

Then I hit a thrift shop and saw one of the weirdest cash grab tie in records I've ever seen.

Had it had shboom on it I would have bitten for the novelty but I passed.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Huey Lews and the News. So be it.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

BigFactory posted:

Herbie Hancock isn’t a drummer either. He played with Freddy Hubbard a bunch of times, though.

Freddy Hubbard isn’t *that* well known unless you’re really into fusion. His solo records didn’t sell great. He was the man though.

I am clearly not hitting on all 3 cylinders today, my apologies for being such a scatterbrain.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I can't believe it but I found this at a garage sale today for $1. The short history of Harumi is he was a mysterious Japanese psychedelic artist that put out this album in 1968, produced by Tom Wilson. Artist credits on the album are largely unknown, except for Harumi himself. The first disc is good (imo) psych-pop. The second disc is a long spoken word conversation over music. The album flopped and Harumi disappeared, never to be seen again. His last name is out there, and supposedly he died in NYC in 2007, but that's never actually been confirmed. His story is still almost entirely undocumented. The record itself is considered a cult album and hard to find, but it's still obscure enough that prices aren't insane (about $50).

Choice cut:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jEoRZ7hRtw

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

people into pop-punk at the turn of the century will probably recognize (as I just have now) this as the basis for the cover of the first me first and the gimme-gimmes record. I had no idea it was this close a thing

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Dead Goon posted:

Art Blakey was a very good drummer/band leader.

Everybody should have "Moanin'" it is very good.

Co-signed. Blakey's probably my favorite but I'll also throw out Max Roach and Idris Muhammad as other fantastic jazz drummers.

I think my personal favorite Blakey album is Drum Suite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Di7ko6eST40

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Ballz posted:

Co-signed. Blakey's probably my favorite but I'll also throw out Max Roach and Idris Muhammad as other fantastic jazz drummers.

I think my personal favorite Blakey album is Drum Suite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Di7ko6eST40

ty

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Whoa that rules

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
karajan did a beethoven symphony like every two weeks

kinda kidding there but he did four complete cycles which was a lot in those days. the first was mono on Decca, iirc, the next two were stereo with Berlin, in '63 and '77. I'm not sure why he redid it but iirc it had something to do with him thinking Berlin had become "his" orchestra by the 70s. the 1963 cycle has practically never been out of print which is really goddamn rare in classical, though i've heard a few say they like '77 more. at the very least the 1977 Pastorale is really well-regarded

Then he did one in 1984 with digital recording and CDs as an excuse. Early Deutsche Grammophon digital sounds like liquid rear end though the remastered versions are apparently alright.

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Sep 25, 2022

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
unsurprisingly there's a shitload of beethoven on LP, if you want to get a full symphony box in stereo i usually recommend these because they're relatively widely available in the US and they're all recommendable

almost all of them (except I guess Leibowitz) are going to have broader tempi than what you might be used to nowadays if you listen to current performance practices, but i'm a sucker for stereo LP-era classical sound, so I don't mind

Szell/Cleveland (Epic, 1964)
it's typical Szell/Cleveland, it's incredibly well disciplined and well played. i don't like Szell/Cleveland as much as some others but he's almost always a safe pick in basically any repertoire you want

Leibowitz/RPO (Reader's Digest, 1966)
neat as a ahead-of-its-time attempt to play Beethoven at near the actual metronome marks, which became much more of a trend in the 80s-onward when period-style performance became a hot topic. also for "Readers Digest", read RCA, it was made with their engineers and sounds as good as you'd expect a 60s RCA stereo classical record to sound

Bohm/Vienna (Deutsche Grammophon, 1972)
Bohm had a "stodgy old German" reputation but this is what you want if you want the VPO with restrained, thoughtful interpretations. this box must have been popular because i see it all the time, usually for like ten bucks. weirdly enough i can't think of a super great Vienna box set other than this one, even with their reputation as a great Beethoven orchestra. Bernstein did one but i think his New York one was better, and the other ones I can think of are modern (Nelsons/Rattle).

Kletzki/Czech Philharmonic (Supraphon, 1968, though every box set i see dates from 1979)
the Czech Philharmonic is one of the greatest orchestras on the planet, and especially from the Communist days where they had a more distinct sound, especially from the winds. very well-recorded too, Supraphon were like the one Communist bloc state record label who knew their poo poo on how to make stereo records

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I was in Newbury Comics today looking at records and I overheard some teenage girl telling her friends about MGMT like it was some hidden gem. When I got done nearly injuring myself from rolling my eyes so hard it made me extremely aware of how rapidly I'm screaming towards middle age.

petit choux posted:

come to think of it, "vegas taint" would be a good band name.

It sounds like a slang term for VD or possibly a sexual injury.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Sep 26, 2022

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

wa27 posted:

I can't believe it but I found this at a garage sale today for $1. The short history of Harumi is he was a mysterious Japanese psychedelic artist that put out this album in 1968, produced by Tom Wilson. Artist credits on the album are largely unknown, except for Harumi himself. The first disc is good (imo) psych-pop. The second disc is a long spoken word conversation over music. The album flopped and Harumi disappeared, never to be seen again. His last name is out there, and supposedly he died in NYC in 2007, but that's never actually been confirmed. His story is still almost entirely undocumented. The record itself is considered a cult album and hard to find, but it's still obscure enough that prices aren't insane (about $50).

Choice cut:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jEoRZ7hRtw

This is extremely my jam. Thanks for sharing.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

CPL593H posted:

I was in Newbury Comics today looking at records and I overheard some teenage girl telling her friends about MGMT like it was some hidden gem. When I got done nearly injuring myself from rolling my eyes so hard it made me extremely aware of how rapidly I'm screaming towards middle age.

Haha. Don't feel too bad. I didn't even know what MGMT sounded like. Looked it up and yeah, I've heard them but had no idea who it was. Coffee shop rock.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

sporklift posted:

Haha. Don't feel too bad. I didn't even know what MGMT sounded like. Looked it up and yeah, I've heard them but had no idea who it was. Coffee shop rock.

Oh I know them well. What I thought was was funny hearing some kid excitedly telling her friends about them like she just discovered some hot new underground band. I was already 5-8 years older than this kid when MGMT first blew up.

In 2009.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

CPL593H posted:

Oh I know them well. What I thought was was funny hearing some kid excitedly telling her friends about them like she just discovered some hot new underground band. I was already 5-8 years older than this kid when MGMT first blew up.

In 2009.

That’s probably like me as a teenager being really excited about Bad Religion like I found this crazy underground band that my friend’s older brother was into

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Yeah that isn't particularly notable. Every teenager ever that listens to a band for the first time that is lesser known than like, The Beatles, thinks they are the first person to ever listen to them.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
I had a similar reaction to CPL when I overheard a teenager explain to her friend that 311 is classic rock.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

The concept isn't noteworthy. It's just that it feels weird when I get to the point of my life where poo poo I liked in my 20s is a thing an old thing a teenager excitedly discovered. On the flip side of that coin it's always been funny to me when boomers are completely bewildered that I like music and films that were from when they were young. It's like they can't grasp the concept of a recording.

Schremp Howard posted:

I had a similar reaction to CPL when I overheard a teenager explain to her friend that 311 is classic rock.

Oh god.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Deftones is classic rock.

Linkin Park is three years away from being classic rock.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Can’t wait to hear an instrumental smooth jazz rendition of “smack my bitch up” in a waiting room

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

CPL593H posted:

On the flip side of that coin it's always been funny to me when boomers are completely bewildered that I like music and films that were from when they were young. It's like they can't grasp the concept of a recording.

They had old movies (20s-40s) playing all the time on tv when they were growing up and they were unambiguously old movies, and they thought of the movies and music of their time would be likewise seen as old by their kids.

Source: I read bunch of this concept in 50s and 60s issues of MAD magazine

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

It’s absolutely true, though.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I never thought of classic rock as the age but a particular era. If you look at what was going on with rock music in the 60s and 70s historically it's a lot different than what was going on before or after. That's why it was classic not because it's old. Rush would be considered classic rock but not Joy Division despite the sharing of the era. So no, Nu Metal is not going to be "classic rock" even if it is 20 + years old. At this point classic rock is arguably a genre.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

CPL593H posted:

The concept isn't noteworthy. It's just that it feels weird when I get to the point of my life where poo poo I liked in my 20s is a thing an old thing a teenager excitedly discovered. On the flip side of that coin it's always been funny to me when boomers are completely bewildered that I like music and films that were from when they were young. It's like they can't grasp the concept of a recording.

YES to your last point. I went to an OMD concert a few months back, and this lady who joined us (who was only maybe 10 years older than me) asked incredulously how I knew of the band. As in, not just curious, but almost accusatory in some way. What's great is that she clearly mostly knew them from the one Pretty in Pink song (If You Leave), whereas I own a decent chunk of their discography and was singing along to almost everything they played.

I'm typically never a proponent of gatekeeping (e.g., if you got into a band because of their song being featured in a commercial that doesn't make you less of a fan than someone who heard them on the radio or from a friend's recommendation; or if you can't name a single song, but like bouncing to the tunes, then hell yeah I'll bounce with you), but I'll absolutely throw shade at only cheering the blockbuster song if you're going to step to me about being too young to know of the band.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

marjorie posted:

YES to your last point. I went to an OMD concert a few months back, and this lady who joined us (who was only maybe 10 years older than me) asked incredulously how I knew of the band. As in, not just curious, but almost accusatory in some way. What's great is that she clearly mostly knew them from the one Pretty in Pink song (If You Leave), whereas I own a decent chunk of their discography and was singing along to almost everything they played.

I'm typically never a proponent of gatekeeping (e.g., if you got into a band because of their song being featured in a commercial that doesn't make you less of a fan than someone who heard them on the radio or from a friend's recommendation; or if you can't name a single song, but like bouncing to the tunes, then hell yeah I'll bounce with you), but I'll absolutely throw shade at only cheering the blockbuster song if you're going to step to me about being too young to know of the band.

Yeah, I hate to sound smug but a lot of times when some boomer is like "How do you even know about (old band)!" like I'm not worthy of knowing about the existence of the old thing I actually know way more about it than they do. BUT! In fairness I'm an autistic weirdo so I naturally have an ability to maintain and encyclopedic knowledge of poo poo and in this case I spend a lot of time reading about bands, their histories, and discographies. I'm on discogs on a daily basis and at least multiple times a week I'm reading wikipedia articles about bands. But I don't care is someone has 80 versions of each album or just the best of CD, I absolutely hate being talked down to by people older than me. Especially when it's on a subject about I am extremely knowledgeable.

I'm also obnoxiously good at trivia games.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

A buddy and I went to a Jethro Tull concert in our teens, back in the 90s, and the old dudes sitting near us were just flabbergasted that we could be into the band. They were super stoked about it though and kept buying us beers all night. Great show.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Side note: Now I'm wondering where that girl and her friends will fall on Congratulations. I vividly remember when that album came out fans argued over it because a lot of people were pissed off that it didn't sound like Oracular Spectacular and others thought it was really good and they liked that the band was moving away from dance music and more towards psych rock. THESE CHILDREN WILL NEVER KNOW WHAT IT WAS LIKE TO LIVE THROUGH THE GREAT MGMT SCIHSM OF 2010.

(Naturally the fans in the latter camp were being the smuggest of hipsters about it and admittedly I was one of them.)

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

marjorie posted:

Go ahead and only cheer to their one blockbuster but kindly shut the gently caress up during the rest of the show.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Can’t wait to hear an instrumental smooth jazz rendition of “smack my bitch up” in a waiting room

How about a lounge version?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KO5Iu2UOvDg

(I hope this is the video I’m thinking of, can’t watch video with sound right now.)

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

CPL593H posted:

I never thought of classic rock as the age but a particular era. If you look at what was going on with rock music in the 60s and 70s historically it's a lot different than what was going on before or after. That's why it was classic not because it's old. Rush would be considered classic rock but not Joy Division despite the sharing of the era. So no, Nu Metal is not going to be "classic rock" even if it is 20 + years old. At this point classic rock is arguably a genre.

If you pull up a WZLX playlist (fellow MA goon), it’s as much Green Day, Foo Fighters, and Stone Temple Pilots as it is Rolling Stones and The Who. That’s the premier classic rock radio station in New England.

Oldies formats are even weirder. It used to be 50’s and 60’s pop and r&b, with a little bit of 60’s rock. Now when you find an oldies station it’s almost all 70s and 80s pop. Almost indistinguishable from soft rock stations from when I was growing up, maybe with a little less Air Supply. Classic oldies stations are out there but hard to come across. There isn’t one in the Boston market.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

CPL593H posted:

Yeah, I hate to sound smug but a lot of times when some boomer is like "How do you even know about (old band)!" like I'm not worthy of knowing about the existence of the old thing I actually know way more about it than they do. BUT! In fairness I'm an autistic weirdo so I naturally have an ability to maintain and encyclopedic knowledge of poo poo and in this case I spend a lot of time reading about bands, their histories, and discographies. I'm on discogs on a daily basis and at least multiple times a week I'm reading wikipedia articles about bands. But I don't care is someone has 80 versions of each album or just the best of CD, I absolutely hate being talked down to by people older than me. Especially when it's on a subject about I am extremely knowledgeable.

I'm also obnoxiously good at trivia games.

Yeah, see my brain is kinda broken and bad at retrieval, so it always kills me a little inside when I say I really like a band and someone does the "oh yeah what's your favourite album" thing and all of the sudden it all drops out and I can't even remember the name of a song by that artist, or I can only describe the album cover because pictures stick better than words. But you put me at a show and I'm playing along to every beat on my leg, or singing every lyric, or whatever because I've listened to them a thousand times. Luckily, most of the people I interact with aren't douchebros (not trying to stereotype, but literally 100% of the people who've asked me that question are guys) trying to prove something, but they're just genuinely excited to talk about the artist and that's their easy intro, so I've learned to redirect to talk about my experiences relating to the music and usually can participate in a dialogue that way. Socializing is hard sometimes, y'all...

Barry posted:

Go ahead and only cheer to their one blockbuster but kindly shut the gently caress up during the rest of the show.

...Though for some people not hard enough to discourage bullshit like this (talking nonstop through a show). It's the number one show ruiner for me. Well that and people who hold their phone up to record for long stretches or even the whole drat show, blocking everyone else's view and\or just distracting from it. Be in the moment, guys!

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

As a 45 year old that works with a bunch of people in their 20's and 30's it kinda does surprise me when they know old poo poo. Most of the time when I try to talk about movies or music I just get shrugs. If a film isn't on one of the major streaming platforms it doesn't exist and the reverence that we held for older music doesn't seem to exist for a lot of the younger kids. I am the go to guy when they encounter a bizzaro movie or something so its kinda fun.

And yeah. Oldies = 50's-early 60's, Classic Rock is late 60's-early 80's and it really depends on the feel. Free Fallin' is straight up classic rock despite coming out in '89 and the Stooges doesn't get lumped in with classic rock despite being of the era. I dunno maybe that's just me :shrug:

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

sporklift posted:

And yeah. Oldies = 50's-early 60's, Classic Rock is late 60's-early 80's and it really depends on the feel. Free Fallin' is straight up classic rock despite coming out in '89 and the Stooges doesn't get lumped in with classic rock despite being of the era. I dunno maybe that's just me :shrug:

As radio formats go this isn’t true anymore. Nirvana is classic rock. I’m Still Standing-era Elton John is oldies. 21 Pilots is modern rock.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

BigFactory posted:

21 Pilots is modern rock.
Just saw them in Seattle over the weekend and that poo poo was awesome.

Most shows I go to usually top off at under 1,000 people, arena shows are buck wild.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
I’m just gonna go watch the Simpsons Hullabalooza episode because that’s basically me right now.

pwn
May 27, 2004

marjorie posted:

Yeah, see my brain is kinda broken and bad at retrieval, so it always kills me a little inside when I say I really like a band and someone does the "oh yeah what's your favourite album" thing and all of the sudden it all drops out and I can't even remember the name of a song by that artist, or I can only describe the album cover because pictures stick better than words. But you put me at a show and I'm playing along to every beat on my leg, or singing every lyric, or whatever because I've listened to them a thousand times. Luckily, most of the people I interact with aren't douchebros (not trying to stereotype, but literally 100% of the people who've asked me that question are guys) trying to prove something, but they're just genuinely excited to talk about the artist and that's their easy intro, so I've learned to redirect to talk about my experiences relating to the music and usually can participate in a dialogue that way. Socializing is hard sometimes, y'all...

I saw this image back about four years ago and a few months later wanted to post it, but couldn't for the life of me locate it, so I was forced to recreate it from scratch, and it isn't very good but it gets the idea across (recreated 2019.02.07)

For what it's worth I too am about the same, I struggle to remember some song names despite knowing them by heart, or can occasionally not remember what album a track is from. Mind you I only listen to albums, never was a singles guy, I really have to listen to at least half of an album at a time if not a whole one. Even *my* band, I can forget which songs go with the titles or album. But thankfully I look like a guy so I don't have to deal with that poo poo

marjorie posted:

...Though for some people not hard enough to discourage bullshit like this (talking nonstop through a show). It's the number one show ruiner for me. Well that and people who hold their phone up to record for long stretches or even the whole drat show, blocking everyone else's view and\or just distracting from it. Be in the moment, guys!

When Belle and Sebastian did their US tour this past Spring and Summer, I was so bummed that I wasn't going to be able to see them when they played about 100 miles from me. I found myself obsessively cataloging every performance from the tour I could find uploaded to YT and FB, sorted by night.

I'm pretty thankful to the people who chipped away at their own enjoyment to capture it, so I could live vicariously through them. It is annoying to others, so try to not block anyone else's view.

I wish I could share about two dozen vids but this guy did a great tour of the Greek venue the night of their show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pojcHFhF6I

Ironically I found video for nearly every stop on the tour... except St Paul, the show I should've seen. Thankfully I stumbled across guy on Twitter who was a taper and lived in the Twin Cities, and he reached out to Stuart to get permission to record the show.

https://twitter.com/thegreatroffels/status/1517517532005023746?s=21&t=jBOgA-QcF1LGmx8bCOM6lg

A month or two later he uploaded it to Archive. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

In marginally-less insane news, my quest to become 12-15 y.o. again continues