Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Nah I’m good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Shageletic posted:

I think the show wasn't as imaginative as it could be and was def stuck in a retro take on futurism, down to the 80s like exploitation of female nudity, but I thought the short number of eps and how decisively it dealt with its various characters, aping a noir like mindset, was pretty cool, esp for anime.

I don't think it was a lack of imagination so much as it was just efficient worldbuilding; the show felt more focused on the gang member dynamic than expanding on/exploring Cyberpunk 2077 branded lore. I get how one could argue a lack of imagination though, but I figure the nutty visuals helps offset that criticism. I also figure the series leaning hard in retro-futurism is just a byproduct of it being based on a game that — in my surface-level observation — heavily does the same.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
The game was written in the 80s and they just basically kept all Pondsmith's ideas of what the future would be like over the decades. It's true blue 80s Cyberpunk that's only been mildly updated and has, as a consequence of its age, become retro-futurism. I find that very fascinating.

The stuff that's dated is so interesting to me. We all did think that bionic limbs would be around by the 2020s. Six Million Dollar man was a decade earlier, and they had just made an artificial heart. Seemed plausible. The flying cars, of course that's in there. The Japanese mega-corps. That kind of thing.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The game was written in the 80s and they just basically kept all Pondsmith's ideas of what the future would be like over the decades. It's true blue 80s Cyberpunk that's only been mildly updated and has, as a consequence of its age, become retro-futurism. I find that very fascinating.

It's definitely a genre of sci-fi that's totally my poo poo, having grown up watching Ghost in the Shell, Appleseed, and Akira several times over. Any similar content will almost certainly align with what I find appealing, at least aesthetically.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

teagone posted:

It's definitely a genre of sci-fi that's totally my poo poo, having grown up watching Ghost in the Shell, Appleseed, and Akira several times over. Any similar content will almost certainly align with what I find appealing, at least aesthetically.

Same, my dude, but even further back. The late 80s-early 90s sort of cleaned it up a little bit as a consequence of the End of History poo poo, but that early 80s stuff where they'd just come out of the very grim 70s and the death of the 60s optimism was complete was extremely my jam. It's where my earliest memories are set. You can actually watch it in the art; the 70s futurism is all nature and harmony and clean sparkling cities with perfect parks and everyone in high-tech jumpsuits and by '83 it's hell in a cell and you're wearing a tattered trash bag.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Ok, I see how people would like how retro it was. Fair enough. Can I say how bad the dialogue was? I had to watch it in Japanese because at least it was a little bit more bearable as another language lol.

There is great examples of english dubs out there. Feels like the translators were too locked in to replicating the japanese dialogue, which really only works in that language (tho it isn't that spectacular there either).

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

Nah I’m good

The live action is fun

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Shageletic posted:

Ok, I see how people would like how retro it was. Fair enough. Can I say how bad the dialogue was? I had to watch it in Japanese because at least it was a little bit more bearable as another language lol.

outrageously wrong

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Oxxidation posted:

outrageously wrong

Naw, I posted last week about how atrocious I thought the english dialogue was. I'm planning to switch to Japanese to finish the series if I ever get back around to it. Seemed cool otherwise.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I don’t get it. What was wrong with the English dialogue? The slang they use is accurate.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I'm talking about just the writing in general, characters stating their motivations to each other like they are strangers in super basic terms. In a show supposedly targeted to adults the characters are speaking like an after school cartoon. The mom and kid talking in the car before they got attacked was just amazingly bad to me. Maybe it's just as dumb in Japanese, but at least I'm hoping it won't stand out as much.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Wait, are you watching it in a language you don’t know with the subtitles off?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Huh? No I was watching the English dub and found the words coming out of the characters mouths to be really dumb words.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I never watch anime dubs. I always prefer subtitled with Japanese audio. Guess I'm a weeb.

[edit] Actually that's a lie, I think the english dub of Street Fighter II: The Animated Movie is vastly superior.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

I don’t get it. What was wrong with the English dialogue? The slang they use is accurate.

Trite. Explicitly stating their thoughts. Obvious attempts at cool lines that fall flat. Just a general dearth of anything approaching humor or interesting lines.

E: even anime can do better than that.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Shageletic posted:

Trite. Explicitly stating their thoughts. Obvious attempts at cool lines that fall flat. Just a general dearth of anything approaching humor or interesting lines.

E: even anime can do better than that.

Sure but switching to subtitles doesn’t fix that

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Tiny Timbs posted:

I mean, sometimes it does? I don't watch much anime these days, but don't they still try to shoo-horn not quite right dialogue in to fit the mouth movements that were originally animated for the Japanese voices? I was hoping that's the case here anyway.

raven77
Jan 28, 2006

Nevermore.
Someone mentioned a show named High Maintenance in this or another thread, and it sounded interesting, so I started it. It's on HBOMax, each episode is 30 minutes, and there's four seasons. The only constant is the main character, The Guy, played by Ben Sinclair. (He also co-created the show.) The Guy spends his days bicycling around New York City, until he gets a phone call asking him to "hang out" with one of his clients, and it's soon revealed that he's a pot dealer. It's a peek into so many lives, as he goes in and out of them. It's sometimes funny, sometimes sad, but always touching. There are two problems with the show: a) it made me wish that I lived in NYC, because every episode is fascinating, and b) it's only 4 seasons, so I'll be very sad when it's over.

raven77 fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Sep 27, 2022

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

Completely subjective but to me it softens it. At least it's not as jarring and doesn't quite have the same "no one talks like this" factor.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

teagone posted:

I never watch anime dubs. I always prefer subtitled with Japanese audio. Guess I'm a weeb.

Honestly I couldn't imagine watching this subbed.

The MC is Dominican, there's a Japanese biker gang that still speak Japanese, and fuckin' Gus Fring plays the villian.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

What doesn’t he play a villain in?

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

a sexual elk posted:

He really tried. There were articles talking about how he had to, like, leave his Fring glasses in his trailer so he wouldn't bring the character home. Real efforts to say that it wasn't just a great performance, but a true transformation that was really difficult for him (so please don't just give me twenty more of these types of roles).

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

a sexual elk posted:

He needs to show up in Dragon Ball Super ++ Season 9000 as Autistic God God DeathTrue2 Garlic III Blue Waffle

Then the cycle will be complete/destroyed/wtf

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Anyone else watching The Patient on Hulu? It’s good

Although probably not a bad series to just wait and binge. The 30 minutes eps really leave you hanging.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Nightmare Cinema posted:

I've got a PS5 and it looks like it won't be too bad as long as I'm in performance mode.

Ugh might pull the trigger now though instead of waiting another half a year for the dlc.

It’s good you should play it

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Everybody sing along:

I couldn't wait for you to come clear the cupboards

But now you're going to leave with nothing but a sign...

lol I'm an rear end in a top hat

Nightmare Cinema fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Sep 27, 2022

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

veni veni veni posted:

Anyone else watching The Patient on Hulu? It’s good

Although probably not a bad series to just wait and binge. The 30 minutes eps really leave you hanging.

Yeah, I am. I'm liking it so far, but this format is not sustainable. Is it supposed to be a limited series? Or is the plan for a multi season arc? If the latter, we need a change very soon, but I'm struggling to see where they would go with it. It's good, but not nearly on the level as their previous effort, The Americans.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Nihonniboku posted:

Yeah, I am. I'm liking it so far, but this format is not sustainable. Is it supposed to be a limited series? Or is the plan for a multi season arc? If the latter, we need a change very soon, but I'm struggling to see where they would go with it. It's good, but not nearly on the level as their previous effort, The Americans.

Season 1 finale, he escapes and his captor is arrested. He returns home, and a few weeks after he's out getting dinner and blacks out. Wakes up in a basement, a completely different patient sits down and says "Doc, I hear you treat people like me...."

THE DOCTOR WILL RETURN IN SEASON 2

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Athena on Netflix has some absolutely magnificent one take scenes, including a crazy opening scene. The other aspects of the movie are fine. I recommend it if you're in the mood for a drama about police racism in France.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Medullah posted:

Season 1 finale, he escapes and his captor is arrested. He returns home, and a few weeks after he's out getting dinner and blacks out. Wakes up in a basement, a completely different patient sits down and says "Doc, I hear you treat people like me...."

THE DOCTOR WILL RETURN IN SEASON 2

Heh, I will not watch season 2 if that is what happens.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Nihonniboku posted:

Yeah, it's a limited series.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Evan Peters seems like he's having a little too much fun playing Jeffrey Dahmer....

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
It weirded me out because I was sure it was Peters in the music video for Psycho Killer made a few years ago and he looks exactly like that in the Dahmer series.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

mcmagic posted:

Evan Peters seems like he's having a little too much fun playing Jeffrey Dahmer....

I think he's really good in it but my girlfriend says he reminds her of a dark Joe Pera and now I can't unsee it.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Shageletic posted:

You can do better

Can they? It's already too late to watch zero anime.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Aphex- posted:

I think he's really good in it but my girlfriend says he reminds her of a dark Joe Pera and now I can't unsee it.

Yes! I thought the same thing

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Tagichatn posted:

Can they? It's already too late to watch zero anime.

Start and stop at Akira. Problem solved.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Athena on Netflix has some absolutely magnificent one take scenes, including a crazy opening scene. The other aspects of the movie are fine. I recommend it if you're in the mood for a drama about police racism in France.
Yeah, I can't say it was entirely politically coherent but it's well directed and gorgeous. From the music video director son of Costas-Gavras

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Shageletic posted:

There is great examples of english dubs out there. Feels like the translators were too locked in to replicating the japanese dialogue, which really only works in that language (tho it isn't that spectacular there either).

I like Edgerunners but the dialogue is an active impediment to me enjoying it. They communicate the concepts and use the slang but it's written so unnaturally. It's just not how people talk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I like Edgerunners but the dialogue is an active impediment to me enjoying it. They communicate the concepts and use the slang but it's written so unnaturally. It's just not how people talk.

you understand that this by itself is not a meaningful statement, right

if you want dialogue that represents “how people talk” then you have to go to early-oughts mumblecore or something. nearly all dialogue is compressed or stylized otherwise