Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Vampire survival-ey shooter (what are we calling these games?) 20 Minutes till Dawn came out for Android today and so far seems to be a fantastic port with great touch controls. It's like $2!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
I think that "horde games" has become the most widely accepted term for a vampire/magic survivors clone

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
I saw an ad for one that advertised itself as a "lawn-mowing game" and, you know what, that's fair

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy
anybody have any recommendations for good games played in portrait orientation? looking for something to play and just kind of zone out on before bed

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

psychoJ posted:

anybody have any recommendations for good games played in portrait orientation? looking for something to play and just kind of zone out on before bed

Card Thief is great for this. Darker color palette, subdued sound design, relaxed pace, and fun without being too engaging to keep you awake.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

psychoJ posted:

Dawncaster is a deckbuilder in Portrait mode.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

If you have a netflix sub Poinpy is a very good one of those play while actively falling asleep in bed games. Papers, Please is great in portrait mode too although that falls less on the "zone out while playing" side because you have to be pretty attentive.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

explosivo posted:

If you have a netflix sub Poinpy is a very good one of those play while actively falling asleep in bed games. Papers, Please is great in portrait mode too although that falls less on the "zone out while playing" side because you have to be pretty attentive.

I do enjoy Paper Please, but I've come to realize that it's essentially work, but with really oppressive overtones.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

psychoJ posted:

Buriedbornes if you'd like a dungeon crawler RPG.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

CainFortea posted:

Dawncaster is a deckbuilder in Portrait mode.

Night of the Full Moon is another that's similar to Dawncaster

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy
thanks for the recs, i'll be sure to check these out later tonite

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
Other than poiny, are any of the netflix games good? Also i have 40+ google bucks.. looking for a great game, any price. Hopefully one i can just buyout

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Play into the breach on netflix.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I've never played Baba is You. How's the Android port? Easy to see on a phone?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

fyallm posted:

Other than poiny, are any of the netflix games good?

Into the Breach is the best Netflix game. The Stranger Things games are also good, very Fester's Quest/ Zelda vibes.

Canuckistan posted:

I've never played Baba is You. How's the Android port? Easy to see on a phone?

Yeah it's a great port

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
Sorry guys not a turn based strat game fan. Any others? Downloading stranger thing games now.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

fyallm posted:

Sorry guys not a turn based strat game fan. Any others? Downloading stranger thing games now.

Moonlighter is pretty good. Roguelite dungeon crawler where you sell your findings in a shop you run in town

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

fyallm posted:

Dungeon Warfare 2
Streets of Rage 4
Castlevania Symphony of the Night
Stardew Valley

SotN actually plays very well without a controller. Same with SoR4. I was shocked, because like most, I hate touch controls.

mirror123
Jan 17, 2006
rice barrel

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Moonlighter is pretty good. Roguelite dungeon crawler where you sell your findings in a shop you run in town

I really liked the concept for Moonlighter but the gameplay on a touchscreen is kinda clunky.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I played it on PC and the gameplay is clunky there too. It's just a clunky game, unfortunately. That and the gameplay loop gets stale pretty quick. I've liked the concept in games like Recettear and stuff but Moonlighter just didn't quite do it for me.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

20 Minutes till Dawn is very fun. It's more of just a twin stick shooter than VS because you control when/where you shoot although the shots auto-aim if you don't point in a direction when you shoot. A bit bummed though because it doesn't seem to have controller support, or at least my Kishi isn't working with it. The touchscreen controls are good enough but it'd be nice to have the option.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
In 20 Minutes till Dawn, is there any meta game? Like permanent upgrades or something? I don't know what the Talent screen is for. There's no information about it in the game that I've found.

Edit: oh, you can buy different guns and such.

Edit 2: oh god this game is going to absolutely destroy my left thumb. Any suggestions to hold off arthritis?

hooah fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Sep 11, 2022

MPLS to NOLA
Aug 14, 2010

i gotta little trigger
twitchin in my brain
and when that doesn't start
there's murder in my heart
In the character select screen press the runes button in the upper right, that's where you spend currency on metaprogression bonuses. This game is great for $2 but it seems flat compared to magic survival. The achievements are unimaginative and there seems like a huge power difference between characters and guns. If you're going for 100% once you've satisfied your curiosity there's no incentive to pick most of the characters or guns until you hit max difficulty. There are a few cool combination talents but no huge surprises in synergies I've seen.

I should say I haven't played it for that long so Im maybe missing something but these games are repetitive enough that I need a reason to deviate from a reliable strategy or I'll lose interest after a few wins.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I did also just notice today that Magic Survival updated again recently and it feels much better now that you can pick up as many Artifacts as you want.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

MPLS to NOLA posted:

In the character select screen press the runes button in the upper right, that's where you spend currency on metaprogression bonuses. This game is great for $2 but it seems flat compared to magic survival. The achievements are unimaginative and there seems like a huge power difference between characters and guns. If you're going for 100% once you've satisfied your curiosity there's no incentive to pick most of the characters or guns until you hit max difficulty. There are a few cool combination talents but no huge surprises in synergies I've seen.

I should say I haven't played it for that long so Im maybe missing something but these games are repetitive enough that I need a reason to deviate from a reliable strategy or I'll lose interest after a few wins.

I'm trying Magic Survival too, on your suggestion. I like that it's portrait. It's also a little chiller than 20 Minutes till Dawn.

drat, this game is definitely pre-v1 though. It often seems to crash when I launch it, it makes no accommodation for the Pixel 5's holepunch camera, and the virtual joystick is an oval. Still a lot of fun, however.

hooah fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Sep 12, 2022

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

My favorite thing about Magic Survival is the fact that every time I play it I will, without fail, eventually hit a point where I basically reach critical mass in terms of on screen effects and cause the game to start utterly chugging on my Moto G6. It kinda rules.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
I just had a great run with Incinerate, Meteor, fireball and spirits? Turning the tank 10 spirits into Nuclear Critical Mass makes it a giant rotating fireball that covers half the screen.

MPLS to NOLA
Aug 14, 2010

i gotta little trigger
twitchin in my brain
and when that doesn't start
there's murder in my heart
Even the unsuccessful runs in that game can feel apocalyptically strong. The thing I really miss in 20 minutes is the power ups and chests on the ground. If you start with low offensive power it feels like there's no catching up.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
In Magic Survival, what is meant by "magic options"? The Scholar class says "Increases the chance that magic options become 4", but I have no idea what that means.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

The (what I assume are) translations have gotten real rough with this newest magic survival update. I don't remember it being that bad but I also have no idea what a lot of the descriptions of the upgrades mean. I think for that one it means that you have a chance of getting 4 picks for upgrades when leveling up instead of 3.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
That does seem to be what it means.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
How do you go about getting access to the netflix games? Do you have to do it through netflix itself or on your phone?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Trastion posted:

How do you go about getting access to the netflix games? Do you have to do it through netflix itself or on your phone?

Download the game on the store like you would any other game, then when you launch it asks you to log into your netflix account. It only ever asked me once fwiw so it wasn't very obtrusive.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Trastion posted:

You just download Netflix versions of the games you want from Play Store. You need to be logged into Netflix on your device to play them.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=Netflix,+Inc.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

When I open the Netflix app, there's a separate Games tab on it which lists them all and links to the downloads.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

WaltherFeng posted:

The new YS mobile game at least nails the visual style of a YS game but the gameplay is so dire it might as well be a visual novel instead.

The only MMO worth playing on mobile is Old school runescape. Probably can't do the extreme late game stuff that require precise movements and tick manipulation at the same time but still tons of content.

Also it has no gacha just the $13 a month for member content. Just treat the free stuff as a demo.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
a game where you spend 40 hours grinding the same 5 click sequence to get 10% of a skill level up is maybe not the best option to play for 5 minutes while taking a dump
osrs is fun at low levels but i wouldn't recommend playing it longterm / in endgame as the grindiness grows exponentially

(unless you are playing it specifically for that flavor of mindless grinding.)

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Starting late yesterday, Magic Survival has been crashing within 30 seconds of starting a run. No idea what changed on my phone.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
kinda wish there was more to 20 minutes til dawn. it looks very pretty and its a nice twist on the magic survivors genre but it only took me a handful of runs to realise you just need to get saccade early so you can farm xp easier, then freeze and the perk that makes enemies shoot bullets on death and youre largely good to just farm for the rest of the run. i did have a funny one though where i got the starting characters "triple the next upgrade" perk, then picked up splinters as the next perk while using the grenade launcher, so every enemy that died was spawning 9 bomblets and making the screen shake really violently

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Magic Survival seems neat, even with the shaky translation, but the minutes section of the timer being perfectly covered by my phone's front camera is a little unfortunate.