Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Welllllllllll...you can't make decent beer with pure, microbe-free water. Infected beer smells & tastes like poo poo.

So yes, drinkable beer was microbe-free liquid. Same with any fermented thing: wine, bourbon, etc.

Now, if you're saying that the alcohol alone could sterilize water: that takes some pretty serious proof levels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Well that sure went fine!

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

This is the perfect example of why "it's not stupid if it works" is a very bad philosophy

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Pretty cool but I don't see anyone dousing themselves with water to keep from getting third degree burns.

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7147283069358116123

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

This poo poo drives me crazy. At least the guy is filming them, but for gently caress's sake why doesn't anybody do more to intervene? I'm not saying assault the guys or some dodgy 'citizen's arrest' that can get you into trouble, but why not just approach and say "hey that's my bike"? I've never witnessed someone so brazenly stealing a bike, thankfully, because IDK if I'd be able to not intervene.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I've got a lithium-powered angle grinder too. I call it "the key to the city"

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

PainterofCrap posted:

Welllllllllll...you can't make decent beer with pure, microbe-free water. Infected beer smells & tastes like poo poo.

So yes, drinkable beer was microbe-free liquid. Same with any fermented thing: wine, bourbon, etc.

The myth is that they drank beer/wine instead of water because water was unhealthy. In fact people mostly knew the difference between water that would make you sick and water that wouldn't, knew that boiling water could render contaminated water safe to drink, and safe water sources abounded in the medieval period. Medieval societies could in no way even produce enough grain and grape to keep everyone's thirst sated with wine and beer.

https://zythophile.co.uk/2014/03/04/was-water-really-regarded-as-dangerous-to-drink-in-the-middle-ages/
https://leslefts.blogspot.com/2013/11/the-great-medieval-water-myth.html
https://www.medievalists.net/2014/07/people-drink-water-middle-ages/

Also not sure what you mean by microbe-free here; beer is absolutely not microbe-free. Some styles involve literally dozens of species of yeast and bacteria to produce the finished result. Boiling the wort sterilizes it, yes, but then it's inoculated with the leavings from prior batches of beer or just spontaneously from stuff drifting in the air. And grape must isn't boiled to make wine, you just crush everything together and the natural microorganisms that were living on the grapes go to town on the sugars you've made available.

quote:

Now, if you're saying that the alcohol alone could sterilize water: that takes some pretty serious proof levels

Yeah. People were definitely not starting off with drink with enough alcohol to kill bugs and then diluting it to drinkable levels. That wouldn't even work unless you had a clean source of water to begin with, because by the time you'd diluted it to drinkability you'd also dilute it to the point where the alcohol wasn't high enough to kill bugs.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Sep 27, 2022

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

TjyvTompa posted:

There are many of these kind of videos on youtube where they make everything from car batteries to gearboxes but this is easily the most insane one I've seen so far. This has nothing to do with "3rd world ingenuity" etc. they just do everything as cheap as possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6v2DwEPVWU

This brings to mind the video posted in this thread (or the crappy construction) way back of a guy in the snapping pieces of rebar like they were pretzel sticks. this is probably exactly how they were made lol.

fake edit: i think it was this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szBiPDIokDE

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Zero VGS posted:

I've got a lithium-powered angle grinder too. I call it "the key to the city"

My grand uncle has go bags for things like that. They're mostly bowling ball bags with a set of tools for specific purposes. We're in the same business, so many of them are tailored to dumb poo poo you run into there. We drive bread delivery trucks.

So I'm there moving house with a rental truck, when the round lock I'm using totally freezes. Key broken off inside and all. "Twenty minutes." Sure enough, dude shows up with a battery-powered angle grinder and a set of iron working tongs. Zip-zap, the door opens.

Some highlights:

We've run into a trailer knocked off it's landing gear: "Twenty minutes", chain ratcheting come-alongs and a spare leg for the landing gear.

Broken locking flap on a trailer's coupler: "Twenty minutes", a couple crowbars and a really big pair of pliers, plus spare parts for the flap.

Snapped off lugs on a truck: "Twenty minutes", compressor, air hammer, full sets of lugs and lug nuts.

"I don't like being slowed down twice by the same thing." Alright then, Frank, I guess not!

After the first time, it's only weird that where ever you are in Tampa Bay help is, "Twenty minutes.", away.

Maybe also weird that the most honest dude I know has tool kits to break into or through anything we've met.

You have to be careful asking for help sometimes. Once mentioned I needed a gas can. A week later he's picked up every can he saw off the side of the highway (seriously, I-75 is a gas can mine or some poo poo). Half the garage is covered in wayward gas cans. "Pick a few."

I needed shelving for the utility room, guy comes over with his trailer and 16 feet of 5 shelf high gondolas a few days later.

Shell retaining springs for a hundred year old Remington Autoloading Shotgun (forerunner to the Model 11)? "My friend Kenny took a look around. Here you go."

It's not hoarding if you give it all away!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Phanatic posted:

Yeah. People were definitely not starting off with drink with enough alcohol to kill bugs and then diluting it to drinkable levels. That wouldn't even work unless you had a clean source of water to begin with, because by the time you'd diluted it to drinkability you'd also dilute it to the point where the alcohol wasn't high enough to kill bugs.

The Ancient Greeks definitely believed it but were completely wrong anyway. There's accounts of them adding a tiny amount of wine to drinking water to "purify" it, which would do nothing but mildly taint it pink. Water filtration and boiling to purify have been known for thousands of years from Egypt to India, even if it wasn't always done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUQRfxpGql4

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Yeah, boiling water to purify it was so established that hippocrates took it for granted, and was credited with inventing an easier-to-make filter for removing sediment from boiled water.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Also humans in general aren't particularly stupid? Nobody in the past was dumber than us, they just didn't have our millennia of institutional knowledge and science. Most people understood that if you set up your village on a good source of drinking water, you shouldn't poo poo in it and drop all your garbage in. Especially not upriver of the people taking it. Drinking water purity started becoming an issue more in the Early Modern period and Industrial Revolution when cities began exploding in population that they weren't capable of handling. Even then, London had built an elaborate water piping system delivering from the countryside in medieval times and its problems were more related to population growth overtaxing it (and eventually a little tiny fire) than the water purity.

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

I think the loop cut happened with the sanding step.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Hotel under demolition takes the easy way out in Hualien, Taiwan (from 2021-10-1).

https://i.imgur.com/ea08AL3.mp4

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
There’s a good post about medieval water hygiene here.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Hotel under demolition takes the easy way out in Hualien, Taiwan (from 2021-10-1).

:stare:

Hope there was someplace nearby with fresh underwear for the scooter rider

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

LOL, the one they got flying is great.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Platystemon posted:

I think the takeaway here is that if you don't know whether or not the water is safe, you can always drink beer/ale/spirits.

poo poo, that philosophy got me through a week in Mazatlan.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

With modern cameras and monitors you need eye protection while watching a video of someone welding or the UV radiation the camera picked up and the screen is emitting will blind you. My uncle told me this fact, he works at Nintendo so he knows what he's talking about.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Drone_Fragger posted:

With modern cameras and monitors you need eye protection while watching a video of someone welding or the UV radiation the camera picked up and the screen is emitting will blind you. My uncle told me this fact, he works at Nintendo so he knows what he's talking about.

Yeah I use a special filter like they used to put on CRTs before reading your posts.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
adds “alien monitors give humans snow blindness” to scifi_ideas.txt

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Child Trebuchet
Sep 4, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Platystemon posted:

Reddit guy posted:

After all, as my most learned teacher puts it, "The Middle Ages love you and want you to be happy."

Why are they all like this.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Kibayasu posted:

I would comment on this but unfortunately I recently watched someone arc welding while not wearing eye protection so I'm blind now.

Speaking of, I was watching Forged in Fire earlier and noticed they had a little dulling screen thing set up behind the guy using the welder so the other people on set wouldn't go blind.

I thought it was neat.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

SuddenCactus posted:

little dulling screen

Turn on your monitor.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

wiegieman posted:

Looks like some authentic American tree trimming to me.

No you need tannerite and tacticool ar-15 for that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCLg6mjJPPU&t=27s

just realised I'm a bit behind but I'll leave it here

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/mDHUpRx.mp4

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Was that supposed to have happened?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

By popular demand posted:

Seems like an anchor for the yellow buoy?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Yeah, the buoy needs to be anchored to mark an obstruction or navigation point.
That anchor would keep several motorcycles safe.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Platystemon posted:

adds “alien monitors give humans snow blindness” to scifi_ideas.txt

I came up with this idea so if you use it you owe me royalties. I have the nft to prove it. No you can't see it.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Oh it's a buoy, I mistook it for a concrete block.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Oh it's a buoy, I mistook it for a concrete block.

and the ever increasingly disturbing gender reveal trend continues....

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

that block lands right on poseidon's balls and poo poo's gonna get real wet out there.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
https://i.imgur.com/j2mM5kI.mp4

And now you know!

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
The ship is towing the buoy by its anchor chain. The chain is released at its destination, which pulls the anchor over board.

The forces involved in pretty much anything nautic turn the "finding out" phase of loving around generally into something you experience only once in your life. From sailboats bashing your brain out with the boom during a turn (conveniently located at neck height in the cockpit on many sailboats btw.), going over board from any large ship being a death sentence, snapping tow lines cutting people in half…

If that dude got any part of his body stuck in the chain, he'd be lucky if the part was just torn off.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

LifeSunDeath posted:

that block lands right on poseidon's balls and poo poo's gonna get real wet out there.

not to kink shame but what exactly do you think Poseidon is in to?

Beef
Jul 26, 2004

Apparently, this technique is used relatively often, and is part of the Belgian equivalent of OSHA rules.

(article in dutch)
https://www.vrt.be/vrtnws/nl/2022/09/27/filmpje-afbraakwerken-op-rogierplein-in-brussel-gaat-viraal/

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

devmd01 posted:

not to kink shame but what exactly do you think Poseidon is in to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Megillah Gorilla posted:

oh my god, the front fell off!

Scratch Monkey fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Sep 27, 2022