Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Do any Soulblight lists even run / synergize well with skeletons? I was super excited by all the new stuff they got and then bummed when every single list that did even remotely well at events was just a million Deadwalker zombies instead, but it's been a while since then so maybe some cool skellie builds have shaken out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

It's not that skeletons are bad, they're fine, it's just that zombies are extremely good. If zombies were bad people would use lots of skeletons and nobody would complain.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Do any Soulblight lists even run / synergize well with skeletons? I was super excited by all the new stuff they got and then bummed when every single list that did even remotely well at events was just a million Deadwalker zombies instead, but it's been a while since then so maybe some cool skellie builds have shaken out.

I'm about to 3d print 100 dire wolves for a meme list. I think this a good idea.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Love those skellies

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

In theory, Legion of Blood. The problem is mainly that zombies are too loving good as tarpits so running skeletons is less popular.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Even going back to WHFB they've had a hard time separating Skeletons and Zombies. They serve such a similar role in the army that you just use whichever one is mathematically better and ignore the other. This time its zombies, next book itll probably be skeletons.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
It was always zombies. They both die the same and while skeletons have traditionally been marginally more adept at fighting it was never the point.

The point was they were there to hold the enemy until the fuckoff block of vampires got there to turn everything into paste.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
skellington, skellington
six foot twenty fuckin' killing for fun

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
Sucker for some good skeleboys

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I have never really liked painting orcs, but the Ironjawz theme was really striking and looked great. Turns out it is a complete pain to paint. So I decided to do up the orcs using mostly contrast paint to try and figure that stuff out. Contrast paint works super well for fur and it made painting the yellow fun actually! I also liked how they turned out. I try to have two armies with the same base theme so they can fight each other. My Necrons and Space marines have city rubble theme, and my Orcs here and their opponents, the Idoneth Deepkin, have a river in the Taiga theme.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
basically my understanding of the issue is skeletons and zombies both die much too easily under the current realm rules its more that 20 zombies are much cheaper than 20 skeletons.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I can’t wait for GHB 2023, I’m so sick of jelly vets

GIRL BRAINS
Sep 5, 2011

The gods are small birds
So sick they have a Brak mini now

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Der Waffle Mous posted:

basically my understanding of the issue is skeletons and zombies both die much too easily under the current realm rules its more that 20 zombies are much cheaper than 20 skeletons.

Even as far back as 5th edition rank and file they always died equally easily. Skeletons used to have a higher WS and I (by like a point, so from below average zombie to human average) while costing a whole lot more because they caused fear and were immune to psychology. None of it mattered as they cost more than a baseline human and their special abilities were balanced by the penalties for losing fights.

Zombies at least cost less.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Der Waffle Mous posted:

It's more that zombies have a 6" pile in which means they don't need to charge into combat, and that zombies do mortal wounds on 6s to hit. Zombies also come in packs of 20 while skeletons come in 10s, so you can have more without spending all your reinforcement allowment.

Skeletons also regen if they've been hit this turn - which means you gotta wait until they get hit. Zombies regen when they hit, which is better.

So - you have more zombies, they do more damage, they get into combat more easily, and they survive more because their regen doesn't require you to wait for them to get hit

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I have never really liked painting orcs, but the Ironjawz theme was really striking and looked great. Turns out it is a complete pain to paint. So I decided to do up the orcs using mostly contrast paint to try and figure that stuff out. Contrast paint works super well for fur and it made painting the yellow fun actually! I also liked how they turned out. I try to have two armies with the same base theme so they can fight each other. My Necrons and Space marines have city rubble theme, and my Orcs here and their opponents, the Idoneth Deepkin, have a river in the Taiga theme.

These dudes look great! What'd you use for the water on the base?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Seldom Posts posted:

These dudes look great! What'd you use for the water on the base?

Thanks! I used Woodland Scenics acrylic "Realistic Water", mixed with a drop of paint, and it took a few layers. Then I used Woodland Scenics "Water Ripples" on the top. The white foam is Vallejo Water Texture Foam Effect.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Z the IVth posted:

Zombies at least cost less.

Zombies were more efficient to cast with Raise Dead/Invocation of Nehek. It was just +1 per level or an easier casting roll, but it still added up when you were adding Rare mercenary Dark Emissaries and casting it multiple times off of one die.

Ahhhh, good times...

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

Is there a good in production GW-scale flying cavalry I can use as a mount for my Flesh Eater Brets? Counts as Crypt Flayers to contrast with my Horror Knights.

If they weren't prohibitively expensive I'd grab some second hand Pegasi but they are so that's out and the Fire forge Albion Knight Pegasi are too small :(

I was thinking the Lord of the Rings eagle's, which I could greenstuff a little saddle for - are they roughly big enough?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Do you have access to a 3d printer?

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

Mors Rattus posted:

Do you have access to a 3d printer?

I think I'm a boomer because that never occurred to me - I could probably borrow a friend's.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

https://www.myminifactory.com/object/3d-print-the-celestial-war-angelic-wrath-mounted-arch-knight-group-207960

These might work for you, dunno if they come with option to remove the riders.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/10/02/sunday-preview-celebrate-warhammer-day-and-the-rise-of-the-lumineth-realm-lords/

Double whammy of AoS pre-orders next week with both Lumineth and Gargant tomes going up, alongside Lumineth Vanguard box and repackaged Gargant boxes.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Pleasant surprise for gargant players to not need to buy a box AND an upgrade sprue for the new guys, I suppose.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/10/03/hear-the-herald-of-a-brand-new-unit-of-chaos-knights

Chaos Knights are finally coming as a multipart kit.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Something no reviewer I’ve seen has noted: in Path to Glory, one of the Tzeentch territories allows you to take Cities of Sigmar unites as Allied. Because cults.

Which, like, take a tank. Or Irondrakes.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

:stare:

Just preemptively pin that hoof.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah, GW's model designers seems to have a contest between each other at who can design the smallest model to base connection point and still be able to get away with it. That's definitely one of the riskiest ones I've seen.

In other news, have a big and stompy battletome preview:
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/10/07/killer-rampages-and-primordial-prayers-abound-in-the-sons-of-behemat-battletome/

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial

moths posted:

:stare:

Just preemptively pin that hoof.

I think those are the same "bodies" as the knights from the start collecting box, which have built in pegs and a slotted base. Still would make me nervous to touch it though

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

One of the start collecting knights has a horse in almost the same position (might even be completely identical), and yes, both copies of mine have broken off.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Geisladisk posted:

One of the start collecting knights has a horse in almost the same position (might even be completely identical), and yes, both copies of mine have broken off.

I've compared mine to the picture and yeah, except for the head and the right arm, they're definitely identical.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Goonhammer has their SoB and Lumineth previews up btw:

https://www.goonhammer.com/lumineth-realm-lords-2022-the-goonhammer-review/

https://www.goonhammer.com/battletome-sons-of-behemat-2022-review/

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Both look improved.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Lambent Light is dead and we can all agree that the world is a happier place for it.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Pretty much anything people complained about got removed, except Total Eclipse, but that's got a casting value of 9 now.

Lumineth seem...fine now? Most of the Great Nations are kind of crap now except for Zaitrec (casting) and Ymetrica (stone boys and the beefman). All the really strong wonky stuff got dealt with, some of the weaker stuff got a boost. Also pretty much every way of dealing with the below average bravery got removed, so that kinda blows.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Oct 9, 2022

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.

Dreylad posted:

Pretty much anything people complained about got removed, except Total Eclipse, but that's got a casting value of 9 now.

Lumineth seem...fine now? Most of the Great Nations are kind of crap now except for Zaitrec (casting) and Ymetrica (stone boys and the beefman). All the really strong wonky stuff got dealt with, some of the weaker stuff got a boost. Also pretty much every way of dealing with the below average bravery got removed, so that kinda blows.

Yeah, Cathallars losing Emotional Transference is a real rough one on the morale front, not looking forward to how many wardens are going to eat poo poo because of that change.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/10/10/pull-back-the-vines-and-catch-a-glimpse-of-the-gnarlwoods-illusive-chameleon-skinks

Looks like the next Warcry box is going to feature a Seraphon warband.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Yeeeeeees give me all the good lizard friends

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Maybe they'll use the opportunity to give us a more allogatory Krox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

If the other side of that new Warcry box is good, I may be very tempted to finally get in to the game.