Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

haven’t watched lotr show, sounds like it’s yet another show obsessed with doing Prestige TV things instead of just making some fun episodes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

jesus WEP posted:

haven’t watched lotr show, sounds like it’s yet another show obsessed with doing Prestige TV things instead of just making some fun episodes

they've completely failed to even do that, there isn't any drama or suspense, no discomfort at all. there are a few minor mystery's but they're so obviously there as mysteries to be unveiled that they are hard to engage with.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

I don't care if they're all secretly Kung Fu masters all of the elves are insufferable dorks and I want to give high king Gil-Galad a wedgie.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
galadriel being the hot headed cop whos kicked off the force just does not work at all. also we already did this secret king plot, we dont need another.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
yeah secret king of the easterlings is weak but Galadriel was canonically a hot headed cop. the actress can't really pull it off and the writing doesn't help her at all though

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

tfw PLEX goes oh hey that film you wanted is available now and you go I did??

:eyepop:

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
Nils Frahm has completed the transformation from kinda competent piano man to head entirely up his own rear end in a top hat Ambient artist. His 3 hour long album is dreck.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

anyone who orders a TV show shorter than 13 episodes per season should be fired, continuing down the chain until a TV exec who understands what the gently caress the word "pacing" means takes the reins

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

after watching a few movies, i've purged power ring from my brain and am ready to deny that it was ever made

mystes
May 31, 2006

dioxazine posted:

after watching a few movies, i've purged power ring from my brain and am ready to deny that it was ever made
Good job powerring down

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Kazinsal posted:

anyone who orders a TV show shorter than 13 episodes per season should be fired, continuing down the chain until a TV exec who understands what the gently caress the word "pacing" means takes the reins

?

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

i saw there was a new animated show on disney+ based on that big hero 6 movie. watched it with the kids and season one was 6 episodes long and each episode was 7 minutes. apparently 45 minutes is good enough to call a season nowadays

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

polyester concept posted:

i saw there was a new animated show on disney+ based on that big hero 6 movie. watched it with the kids and season one was 6 episodes long and each episode was 7 minutes. apparently 45 minutes is good enough to call a season nowadays

it’s called love death robot

mystes
May 31, 2006

Big missed opportunity to call it big hero 7 based on the length of the episodes imo

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

mystes posted:

Big missed opportunity to call it big hero 7 based on the length of the episodes imo

netflix has an animated show called scissor seven if you're into the number 7

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

this seems like a pretty typical length for children's cartoons though? stuff like dexter's lab and powerpuff girls and ed edd n eddy run 7-10 minutes a segment.

on the other hand those old cartoons had like 20-odd segments in a season, six segments is like "here's the pilot we put together to sell the show but no-one offered us money to make anything else"

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

nah it's a shorts collection, disney+ has a few of them and they're generally obnoxious because the credits last longer than the show so you need to hit next all the time

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

yeah im fine with ~11 minute episodes because its half a 30 minute time slot when airing on cable. adventure time is all 10-11 minute episodes, but they have like 30-50 episodes per season

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I finally got to watching the Elon episode of the Simpsons and it is so grim. There is also a followup episode where the A plot is that Mr. Burns is losing money because of all the revolutionary things Elon has done. Lmfao

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

fart simpson posted:

it’s called love death robot

thank you for loving death robot

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

finished barbarians at the gate. the most human any of the people involved seem is when they like get a pizza or take a cab. would have been better off reading the first few chapters to get a feeling for them then a summary of the rest, it's all more of the same.

any recommendations for a noir ish or particularly creative speculative fiction? I'm not sure if there have been any well regarded new publications

e: actually check out this author photo from a book I got given. gotta be fun at least

distortion park fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Sep 27, 2022

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

distortion park posted:

any recommendations for a noir ish or particularly creative speculative fiction?
noir - have you read the classics? hammett, chandler, thompson, cain, ellroy?

noir fantasy - check out glen cook's "garrett pi" novels and daniel polansky's "low town" trilogy

noir sf - george alec effinger's budayeen trilogy ("when gravity fails" and its sequels) will set you right there

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

distortion park posted:

any recommendations for a noir ish or particularly creative speculative fiction? I'm not sure if there have been any well regarded new publications

here:

Carthag Tuek posted:

- when the sparrow falls by neil sharpton. elevator pitch: kind of a cold war spy homage, but with artificial intelligence (its illegal). i think i mentioned this earlier itt? my books.app keeps resetting the added/read dates so ive completely lost track of when i read what book. its very good, anyway

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

When gravity fails and when the sparrow falls both look perfect, thanks!

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

distortion park posted:

e: actually check out this author photo from a book I got given. gotta be fun at least

lmao

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

FMguru posted:

noir sf - george alec effinger's budayeen trilogy ("when gravity fails" and its sequels) will set you right there

fair warning, they go downhill in quality fast after the first one

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Still on a parts unknown binge, Bourdain ftw.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I realized I left myself a trove of unread Discworld books, I’m reading Equal Rites now

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
lucky duck.

they do go downhill in quality a bit in the mid-2000s but otherwise they are wonderful

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
haha
https://twitter.com/vancityreynolds/status/1574865217141481477

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol ryan ryanolds is good value

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

love the aviation gin placement

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I feel like I should watch Logan again but it's pretty sad actually

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
apparently a chunk of star wars fandom is getting loudly indignant that after four episodes of the new 'andor' tv show there have almost no easter eggs or nods to obscure continuity

it is more interested in telling a good story than in making superfans feel good about memorizing wookiepedia

lol

mystes
May 31, 2006

FMguru posted:

apparently a chunk of star wars fandom is getting loudly indignant that after four episodes of the new 'andor' tv show there have almost no easter eggs or nods to obscure continuity

it is more interested in telling a good story than in making superfans feel good about memorizing wookiepedia

lol
This is literally the highest possible compliment that could be given to the show

there's no way that's going to last if the show starts getting positive attention, though.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

mystes posted:

This is literally the highest possible compliment that could be given to the show
i noped out of the obi wan show halfway through the first episode when it decided to tell the origin story of the little toy spacefighter that luke briefly fiddles with in his room on tatooine in the first movie

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

most self-identified fans unironically want this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMBylNJQEbg

nothing new, just a lukewarm bath of nostalgia

qirex fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Sep 28, 2022

mystes
May 31, 2006

qirex posted:

most self-identified fans unironically want this
https://youtu.be/VMBylNJQEbg

nothing new, just a lukewarm bath of nostalgia
I was expecting the link to be something star wars related so I was already planning on writing a post like "it's actually just a series of callbacks like ready player 2 that they want :smug:" until I actually clicked on it and of course it's that song lmao

Edit; oh yeah it was actually called ready player 1 oh well

mystes fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Sep 28, 2022

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
star wars fans mad all the normies liked the mandalorian s1, a mistake that must never be made again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

After episode 2 of andor I thought it might turn into a very small scale repetitive show. Now I'm watching episode 4 and it's totally the opposite and it introduced all this political stuff but incredibly well with zero exposition. I just can't believe this is a star wars show.

mystes fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Sep 29, 2022