Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Epic reprints of Akira are great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

david_a posted:

Is coloring in B&W art ever a good idea? I heard about the upcoming Best of 2000AD collections but the previews that are obviously colored after the fact look pretty lame, although it’s not the worst I’ve seen. Am I just a weirdo for preferring things stayed B&W?

So long it's done well, I don't see a problem and most art starts out B&W anyway so...?

Unless the inked work and the use of contrast and a B&W look is central to the storytelling then I don't really see the harm.

Trouble for me is, so many modern colorists just suck out loud and very few of them bring much of anything to the medium. Photoshop and tablet work has advanced the art form in some ways but has also led us to some really bad habits and a bit of laziness IMO. Too much airbrushing and working with the over saturated color swatches.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It worked quite well with Scott Pilgrim.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Jedit posted:

Unless Brink was originally in B&W the only piece of art on that page which was not originally in colour is the Halo Jones spread, which looks pretty good to me.

Was whatever is below Halo Jones really originally in color? To me, that has that “well, it’s already shaded, just put some solid colors in there” vibe that I get from colorized works.

BiggerBoat posted:

So long it's done well, I don't see a problem and most art starts out B&W anyway so...?

It never looks right to me; it’s like the colors are fighting the inking and it feels cluttered.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Bad colours are just bad colours. There should be no reason a work can't be coloured unless the inks are super heavy or complicated (or both) to texture and shadow everything.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Something that’s drawn with the intent of someone else coloring it in later and something that isn’t often ends up looking a bit different.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

david_a posted:

Was whatever is below Halo Jones really originally in color? To me, that has that “well, it’s already shaded, just put some solid colors in there” vibe that I get from colorized works.

It never looks right to me; it’s like the colors are fighting the inking and it feels cluttered.

Yeah, that's Arthur Ranson. It's from Shamballa in 1991.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Anyways, Fantastic Four Full Circle looks really good

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/JamieLovett/status/1568244522504622082?s=20&t=dseYyAFnkUqCmalmkdoSPg

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Thomas Kinkade has been dead for a decade so he definitely didn't paint this since it says it was painted in 2021. It's from some person at his studio.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Kinkade is an incorporeal demon spirit who passes between hosts when the body dies.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Kinkade is haunting Stable Diffusion.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Joe Fisto posted:

Kinkade is an incorporeal demon spirit who passes between hosts when the body dies.

"Thomas Kinkade" is actually just the name of the process when by pure entropy colors appear and form, what seems to be, a picture with an eponynomous signature. Curiously, it was named after the person who discovered that effect.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
From this week's Sword of Azrael

What a page.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Whether it's really by Kincade or not, now I want to see James Gurney's take on the same scene.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

My favorite Thomas Kinkade thing is that he used his studio as a sweatshop where they would all do like 90% of the painting and then he'd take it, doodle in some details, put his name on it and sell it as an "Authentic Thomas Kinkade Original"

Edit: poo poo, I almost forgot the time he got so loving drunk he pissed on winnie the pooh at disneyland. Dude was a loving rear end in a top hat.

RevKrule fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Sep 10, 2022

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

RevKrule posted:

My favorite Thomas Kinkade thing is that he used his studio as a sweatshop where they would all do like 90% of the painting and then he'd take it, doodle in some details, put his name on it and sell it as an "Authentic Thomas Kinkade Original"

Edit: poo poo, I almost forgot the time he got so loving drunk he pissed on winnie the pooh at disneyland. Dude was a loving rear end in a top hat.

probably right but lol at the pooh thing

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

TwoPair posted:

probably right but lol at the pooh thing

if memory serves he shouted "THIS ONE'S FOR YOU WALT" as he did it

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth

Joe Fisto posted:

I think the shutters are supposed to look like samurai armor and the eggs are i dunno, healy orbs. Spiderman broke his arm and CYBORG X gave him that as a sort of cyber cast because it was the 90s and that stuff was cool as poo poo.

Here's a page from the book, I happen to own this one because CyberSpidey is awesome.

Since when did Parker from Thunderbirds get a medical degree?

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Crossposting from Badass, since it went kinda dead over there

Joe Fisto posted:

If you aren't reading DO A POWERBOMB! do yourself a favor and check it out. A young wrestler gets into a wrestling tournament in Hell, hoping to bring her mother back to life. She teams up with the man who accidentally killed her to win the tournament.

Here's the last page from the most recent issue:

You could post the whole issue here.

Daniel Warren Johnson is the artist.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Strange Tales #146 (1966)
Pencils/Inks: Ditko
Colors: Stan Goldberg(?)

Strange Tales #148 (1966)

Strange Tales #149 (1966)

Really digging the apparent influence on Allred in those last two splash pages.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

I'm not gonna say that gradient shading in digital coloring is a bad thing, because it's not, but I absolutely love how classic colors really had to be made to pop in a different way and the little tricks colorists did without gradients.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Some lowlights from X-Factor. I should have paid better attention to who was doing the art, but I binged a bunch of digital TPBs on a plane so it was hard to keep track.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

^^^I don't mind it and can sort of see what the artist was aiming for there^^^

RevKrule posted:

I'm not gonna say that gradient shading in digital coloring is a bad thing, because it's not, but I absolutely love how classic colors really had to be made to pop in a different way and the little tricks colorists did without gradients.

Way back, they also had to kind of color them "by numbers" where they'd use different combinations of numerically defined printing inks and typically had no idea what that poo poo would like until they saw it printed. Often, they'd try and blend or overprint two colors and results could be...unpredictable. Especially on cheap newsprint.

For those unfamiliar with 4 color printing, it's a big part of why so many golden age comics relied so heavily on primary colors and basic CMYK breaks and combinations. Superman and Wonder Woman, for example: Cyan, yellow and magenta. The Flash is red and yellow. FF wear blue. Certain colors could be mixed reliably. "RED" was just 100% yellow and magenta overprinting. GREEN was 100% cyan and yellow. Purples are red and cyan to varying degrees. It's partially how the Hulk wound up grey initially before they settled on a basic green.

You can see the process an awful lot in old stuff where registering the color seps and "trapping" them was a huge problem and weird poo poo like solid black areas not being consistent in tone since the reds and blues would mix in with it and make it more dense or how often you'd see a "glow", for lack of a better word, where the magenta and yellow didn't register properly and you'd get "pink" artifacts on Spiderman's suit and poo poo.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Darthemed posted:

Strange Tales #149 (1966)

Really digging the apparent influence on Allred in those last two splash pages.

...The Forbush family ghost?

vvv ah, gotcha- I looked him up and learned the needed context.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Sep 17, 2022

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Irving Forbush was sort of Marvel's Alfred E. Neuman in the 60s.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forbush_Man

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

All this is doing is making me sad we didn't get more Nextwave!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Manwithastick posted:

All this is doing is making me sad we didn't get more Nextwave!

gently caress Warren Ellis, give the keys to Zdarsky.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Delicious in Dungeon

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.

Journey To The West / Xi Xing Ji

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
It's beautifully drawn, but that is so very much not how waterwheels work.

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.
Yes, well, something something Buddhist magic. And they're probably not even going to take it after that guy in blue's demon snake wife murdered him.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Parkingtigers posted:

It's beautifully drawn, but that is so very much not how waterwheels work.

I really appreciate the coloring on it as well.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I think the water is going up, so maybe it's not wrong.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Flesh Forge posted:

I think the water is going up, so maybe it's not wrong.

If the water is going up that's definitely not how water wheels work.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

That cave is exceptionally yonic.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

The Punisher #58 (1992)
Pencils: Hugh Haynes
Inks: Jimmy Palmiotti
Colors: Marie Javins

The Punisher #84 (1993)
Pencils: Hugh Haynes
Inks: Mark McKenna; Mick Gray
Colors: John Kalisz

The Punisher War Journal #19 (1990)
Pencils: Jim Lee
Inks: Al Milgrom; Don Hudson (Backgrounds)
Colors: Gregory Wright

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
I love all of them even though the perspective makes no goddamn sense in the second one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I would love to hear your review/impressions on all these old Punisher comics. And in general are you reading all these ol' yarns, or flipping through them, reading blogs on them etc?

I was going through a zillion blogs which post a few pics as well for old comics a while back, including Punisher. SuperMegaMonkey is a good one.

From my research, it seemed to me maybe Punisher ongoing 1-25 and War Journal 1-27 are worth a look, possibly falls off fast after that. And even the early stuff looks like it's a historical document/mixed bag, but with B-movie pulp charm that looks appealing at times.

I did enjoy Circle of Blood. But yeah, the idea that you recently just marathoned through 100 of these Punisher comics is a funny thought. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Reminds me of how Douglas Wolk for his book on all of Marvel, he likes to talk about how he stayed locked up in an apartment and just read all of Punisher in one chunk. And it was a dark time, but he had to get through it.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Sep 27, 2022