Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

YouTube genuinely wants to turn you into a white supremacist because those people watch long videos literally all day.

I m loving inclined to agree with you, gently caress I ve started watching poo poo in a different browser not signed into my gmail account.

I hate the social commentators who want to fight the culture war. They just traffic in stupid outrage click bait poo poo. My personal favorite was tim pool, who just wants to scream CIVIL WAR IS THERE GONNA BE A CIVIL WAR THIS LOOKS LIKE CIVIL WAR

on Jan 6th he shoulda had the worldest biggest boner. instead he was crying WHAT IS THIS NO NO WHAT ARE YOU DOING STOP! NO NO NOT LIKE THAT!

as for peterson seeing the cover for that book with his daughter....I would believe he was just a performance artist troll.

I still maintain that the start of his career he benifited from signal boosting by his critics and like dr phil his philosophy is basically yelling simple advice to stupid people with serious problems.

The simple advice being to clean your room and wash your penis and take care of your problems to get your house in order. Then it turns out he nearly killed himself because he was addicted to benzo and went to loving russia the place he has an unhealthy fixation on.

hmm you know what I would love to see dr phil do a intervention on the peterson family

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021
https://twitter.com/OkButStill/status/1574076809469124609

ElGroucho posted:

This explains why I can't convince youtube that not only do I not want to know what jocko thinks about [thing], the only navy seal who's opinion I give a poo poo about is Jesse the Body Ventura
My nephew became a die-hard Jocko fan and won't accept that he's just another in a long list of self-aggrandizing self-help grifters for young men, and not actually some superhero. His favorites are Crowder, Shapiro, Rogan, Jocko, Peterson, and probably a few others I haven't heard of. Once kids get put on that path, there's no limit to the amount of content that's pushed on them by the algorithm.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

gently caress, condolences.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

PITY BONER posted:

My nephew became a die-hard Jocko fan and won't accept that he's just another in a long list of self-aggrandizing self-help grifters for young men, and not actually some superhero. His favorites are Crowder, Shapiro, Rogan, Jocko, Peterson, and probably a few others I haven't heard of. Once kids get put on that path, there's no limit to the amount of content that's pushed on them by the algorithm.

I worked with SOCOM guys when I was in the 82nd, and they all loving hated the SEALs... said they were hollywood soldiers, and only joined so they could go sell their podcasts and lovely books about how hard it is to run in the sand XD

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

PITY BONER posted:

His favorites are Crowder, Shapiro, Rogan, Jocko, Peterson, and probably a few others I haven't heard of. Once kids get put on that path, there's no limit to the amount of content that's pushed on them by the algorithm.

Rogans the odd one out in that group. In fact when rogan had peterson on , he tripped peterson up. Also I saw joe on another pod cast and he said he would never have trump on, because he "isnt gonna humanize him" he even got called out about well why have alex jones on.

oh where I m going with this Pity Boner is just tell the young man that joe is a sell out who wants to deplatform trump because money etc etc

Also engage with him about why he likes peterson even though peterson basically gave himself brain damage.

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

PITY BONER posted:

Might be time to Ol' Yeller the kid and put everyone out of their misery

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Powerful Katrinka posted:

Might be time to Ol' Yeller the kid and put everyone out of their misery

give him a one-way bus ticket to Texas or Florida and tell him that you are sorry, but he has to start a new life with a new family now

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

PITY BONER posted:

Jocko is a pretty insidious member of that group. He sounds commanding and whatnot when he talks about ~discipline~, but surprise surprise, he’s a huge chud about just about every topic.

He’s also said stuff like he always wanted to be a commando and would have been happy to be in any US war except WW1. Really dude? Knowing what you know now, you’d be happy to have been in Vietnam? Or the Civil War, where you were more likely to die a spectacularly awful death from something like smallpox than from bullets? Ooooook

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

ElGroucho posted:

I worked with SOCOM guys when I was in the 82nd, and they all loving hated the SEALs... said they were hollywood soldiers, and only joined so they could go sell their podcasts and lovely books about how hard it is to run in the sand XD

i always thought it would be badass to have a reputation as like the guy who bullies and beats up Navy SEALS and maybe it's time to tone it down a little, they're people too.

"Christ almighty, stop picking on the SEAL team, Dave!"

"Hey sorry about Dave, fellas."

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I might regret ruining my ignorance and I don't want or need a link, but who's jocko?

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
he's the wallaby from jocko's modern life

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I might regret ruining my ignorance and I don't want or need a link, but who's jocko?

Jocko Willinik, former Navy SEAL, podcaster. He has his hands in a bunch of poo poo. Sports equipment manufacture and sales, management training, Jiu-Jitsu training, energy drinks, etc. His deal is pretty much incorporating supposed military virtues into daily life and promoting the hell out of himself.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I bought one of his books a few years ago not knowing who the author was at all. It's basically a coffee table picture book of run of the mill discipline advice. Like... it's not bad, but you should already know this stuff.

That's what I remember at least.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I bought one of his books a few years ago not knowing who the author was at all. It's basically a coffee table picture book of run of the mill discipline advice. Like... it's not bad, but you should already know this stuff.

That's what I remember at least.

that's the self-help author's scam in a nutshell.

Edit: I wonder if I could become a cult figure with my new book "poo poo You Should've Already Learned but Didn't so Listen Up, gently caress Faces."

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

madeintaipei posted:

Jocko Willinik, former Navy SEAL, podcaster. He has his hands in a bunch of poo poo. Sports equipment manufacture and sales, management training, Jiu-Jitsu training, energy drinks, etc. His deal is pretty much incorporating supposed military virtues into daily life and promoting the hell out of himself.
He’s also big on Made In America, which translates to him being surprised at obscenely high prices for stuff. IIRC he was also on Rogan expressing outrage that Biden wasn’t rapidly spinning up new semiconductor foundries to ease the chip shortage, which, just, lol

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
it's just sand, how hard could it be

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

We're not sending our best when it comes to spec-ops.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

that's the self-help author's scam in a nutshell.

Edit: I wonder if I could become a cult figure with my new book "poo poo You Should've Already Learned but Didn't so Listen Up, gently caress Faces."

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/1250156947/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I just looked it up and it has a 5 star rating. Absolutely glowing reviews.... but I like this one.

quote:

1.0 out of 5 stars Is this a parody?
Reviewed in the United Kingdom on December 5, 2019
Verified Purchase

This book is so bad it's actual comical. By buying it I feel like I've been part of an elaborate prank. Its a non stop roller coaster of disjointed and contradictory ramblings "work hard, push forward, always push forward, unless its more strategic to retreat, never rest, unless you have to rest, then you should rest. always attack, except when you shouldn't. wake up at 4am, but sleep is so important....blah blah blah", and on and on for 100+ pages. You will never ever see another collection of so many cliches in one place. It is quite something to behold. My favorite part was the chapter on Martial arts and how everyone should know 3 martial arts, and that the best martial art was carrying a gun. seriously.

edit:

Zugzwang posted:

He’s also big on Made In America, which translates to him being surprised at obscenely high prices for stuff. IIRC he was also on Rogan expressing outrage that Biden wasn’t rapidly spinning up new semiconductor foundries to ease the chip shortage, which, just, lol

Didn't Biden literally do that? I remember some talk about increasing chip manufacturing.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I just looked it up and it has a 5 star rating. Absolutely glowing reviews.... but I like this one.

Didn't Biden literally do that? I remember some talk about increasing chip manufacturing.
A really high percentage of books have 5/5 ratings, or near it, because mostly only people predisposed to liking them are going to bother reading them.

Also chip fabrication factories take years and many billions of dollars to build. That’s part of the reason for the shortage. Intel or whoever just isn’t going to do that unless they think it’ll be worth the investment years from now.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
the best amazon review for a book was for a book about semtec the explosive and the reviewer said he was lonely but now since he bought the book he some friends...over at the FBI.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
I literally report every single right-wing propagandist or advertiser that I see on Facebook for abuse or terrorism, and I encourage you all to do the same.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Jelly posted:

I literally report every single right-wing propagandist or advertiser that I see on Facebook for abuse or terrorism, and I encourage you all to do the same.

I've been getting like 3 different chud coffee company ads including Black Rifle all the time. Black Rifle came up a long time ago in the TRF "check out these chud companies that you should avoid/protest" thread. I couldn't figure out how to report it (never reported an ad on FB before) but I wanted it out of my poo poo ASAP so I just kept saying they weren't relevant. Now I see an ad for "Peace" coffee lol.

I wanted to report them for some sort of harm but couldn't figure it out atm.

Unfortunately I'm into a lot of chud hobbies so I get lots of ads from all sorts of lovely stuff everywhere. I hate that everyone knows where I shop and what I buy.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

i've been pretty lucky on the youtube recs front for your typical youtube videos

HOWEVER

i've been having far, far less luck with those godawful youtube shorts. they are utterly polluted with reactionary trash and nothing i do seems to work to see less of it

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I don't browse youtube ever so I have no idea what is suggested for me. If I go to Youtube I am looking for something.

I literally didn't know youtube had ads for years because I've used an adblocker for like 15 years. I only found out because I was getting them on my phone years ago.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
https://twitter.com/hum_dunkin/status/1574486518806487040?t=xVc9t1PHJZWZEV8Kpn1FAA&s=19

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Even the people I know who aren’t extremely online have cottoned on to the fact that the YouTube algorithm wants nothing more than to turn people into nazis because nazis watch hours of talking heads a day. It's an open secret at this point.

Presumably there are also people catching on to Facebook doing the same, but I don’t know anyone who actually uses Facebook beyond like event planning.

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Mozi posted:

it's just sand, how hard could it be

It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Now I want to see that scene deepfaked with Hillary. Because of your avatar. Of Hillary Clinton.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

I've somehow avoided most right-wing YouTube, but two weeks ago I clicked on a video about Harry and Meghan that had glommed onto the Queen's funeral coverage and by golly that opened the Harry and Meghan hate jamboree. There's a certain audience that just feeds off each other with conspiracies regarding the royals and I could see how once you get three or four of those dedicated channels cycling their daily updates, it drowns out the rest of YouTube's offering.

So of course I watched some more. I'm surprised the Meghan gossipers haven't teamed up with the Jorpers yet. She's apparently a scheming social climber and doesn't know her place in the heirarchy. The royal family is somehow simultaneously very strict and controlling, but also easily duped by Mehgan. She's a powerful threat but also worthless. Etc etc.

Anyway, took a good three days to get YouTube back to normal.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

I've somehow avoided most right-wing YouTube, but two weeks ago I clicked on a video about Harry and Meghan that had glommed onto the Queen's funeral coverage and by golly that opened the Harry and Meghan hate jamboree. There's a certain audience that just feeds off each other with conspiracies regarding the royals and I could see how once you get three or four of those dedicated channels cycling their daily updates, it drowns out the rest of YouTube's offering.

So of course I watched some more. I'm surprised the Meghan gossipers haven't teamed up with the Jorpers yet. She's apparently a scheming social climber and doesn't know her place in the heirarchy. The royal family is somehow simultaneously very strict and controlling, but also easily duped by Mehgan. She's a powerful threat but also worthless. Etc etc.

Anyway, took a good three days to get YouTube back to normal.

Jorp is too much a provincial colonial for the people who go on about the royal family (mostly British pensioners with literally nothing else to do all day) to take seriously.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

It’s kinda sad how loving one note and miserable these fucks are. Like even the angry political stuff I watch/listen to it’s at least humorous and has levity. These guys are just on constantly and are mad/afraid of everything and it’s the same like 5 reactions to everything. Like just find other Interests then just getting mad at black actors/actresses. Like different things, get into new hobbies and interests. Have friends. Get into different communities, learn new poo poo. Devote time to touching grass or being happy. Christ.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Ups_rail posted:

Rogans the odd one out in that group. In fact when rogan had peterson on , he tripped peterson up. Also I saw joe on another pod cast and he said he would never have trump on, because he "isnt gonna humanize him" he even got called out about well why have alex jones on.

oh where I m going with this Pity Boner is just tell the young man that joe is a sell out who wants to deplatform trump because money etc etc

Also engage with him about why he likes peterson even though peterson basically gave himself brain damage.

When Rogan made the move to Spotify a bunch of episodes didn't make the cut which included like a half dozen with Owen Benjamin who became an insane Holocaust denier and before that was a pretty middling internet comedian whose fame didn't justify even a single appearance. He also had some pizzagate guy on seven times who I'd never heard of despite following this stuff way too closely.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/thebadstats/status/1574877821511442432

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

Legit just laughed out loud when he called incels "marginalized," he's such a clown

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
This dude is a masculine role-model, but can't talk about a given subject without literally crying on television

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
:lol:

This is it. This is the culminative peak of this thread.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

*sniff* nobody's standing up for this marginalised group, assholes who can't get they dick wet

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mr Interweb posted:

i've been pretty lucky on the youtube recs front for your typical youtube videos

HOWEVER

i've been having far, far less luck with those godawful youtube shorts. they are utterly polluted with reactionary trash and nothing i do seems to work to see less of it

It's still an algorithm, I don't get those at all

I only get movie clips and video game trash

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I was on the way to being one of those pathetic young conservative douchebags but then in high school I became a theater kid because I had a crush on a girl and it opened my eyes to actually enjoying things and being tolerant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

lmao, loving lmao

Legit question, why does he cry so loving much? It almost looks like at first he figured it looked sincere to be affected by his own words, and leaned into it a bit too hard, and now he just cracks at everything. Or is it legitimately a result of coma-induced mental illness to be so fragile?