Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I do not remember who it was, but the Rock beat somebody with just a People's Elbow and it made the people I was watching with ask what that guy did to piss people off backstage

I want to say Scott 2 lovely... Hahahaha leaving that autocorrect

I want to say Scotty 2 Hotty but why would they be wrestling each other in the first place?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
IIRC the first guy to be pinned by it was Mark Henry

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Lunatic Sledge posted:

he could just go for the pin, but that wouldn't be... electrifying
He could go for the pin, but his opponent gets a saving throw and if he succeeds, The Rock gains nothing. The People's Elbow does damage and The Rock recovers hit points.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Dr. Quarex posted:

I want to say Scotty 2 Hotty but why would they be wrestling each other in the first place?

RAW:Chris Benoit, Dean Malenko, Perry Saturn, Triple H & X-Pac defeat Cactus Jack, Rikishi Phatu, The Rock & Too Cool is apparently the only match to feature both Scotty And The Rock outside of rumbles. So thats neat I guess.

as far as People Elbow finishers go, they're pretty rare. I can find two though.

The Rock d CM Punk Royal Rumble 2013 via peoples elbow.

Rock and Sock Connection d TakerShow via dual peoples elbow

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Huh, thanks. I remember it as a powerful finisher but memory is fallible

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
he usually did the People's Elbow right after the Rock Bottom, too, which further muddies any elbow-based victories

against Hogan he did two Rock Bottoms, then the elbow

like Scotty 2 Hotty would probably be dead long before the elbow dropped

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Well yeah, even the stress of being about to perform the worm nearly killed him, based on his facial expressions

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The Rock Bottom was only deadly when Rock was doing a run-in. Then it could just instantly knock anybody out. Stone Cold could do this to three or four guys in a row with the Stunner. Don't ask me to explain the system math behind it, it's a very specific build.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, I've heard that as well. He was one of the weird examples of Vince Loyalty like his limo driver who's in the Hall of Fame and other folks who were set up for life. That said I also buy the explanation Dunn's bullied his way to the point where only he can do his job, either by getting rid of people who could do his job better (so basically anybody) or nobody wants to put up with him.
My understanding is that it's a combination of everything that's been mentioned.

He had the weird loyalty thing from the beginning because of his dad saving three weeks' worth of TV from the burning car.

HHH and Stephanie didn't dump him immediately as expected because it would be rocking the boat unnecessarily with a major executive.

And yes, there are absolutely people who have worked in WWE who are convinced that the WWE production style has become so complicated as a deliberate tactic on his part to make himself irreplaceable.

And BTW, the clear up a popular misconception: He's not the director and never has been. On top of his executive office role and his executive producer role, he functions as the line producer during TV shoots.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The only thing that makes me think the 'Dunn has made himself irreplaceable' thing is bullshit is, like, if his way of doing things is too complicated for anyone else to do... wouldn't the new person just do things their way/the way anyone else in that role would instead? Like, if they hired Keith Mitchell in that role, wouldn't Keith just do things his way?

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Gaz-L posted:

The only thing that makes me think the 'Dunn has made himself irreplaceable' thing is bullshit is, like, if his way of doing things is too complicated for anyone else to do... wouldn't the new person just do things their way/the way anyone else in that role would instead? Like, if they hired Keith Mitchell in that role, wouldn't Keith just do things his way?

He's not literally irreplacable, he just made the culture in WWE's production department weird and finnicky and a pain in the rear end to take apart and put back together if they wanted someone else to take over and change things. You know, like everything else about WWE's work culture.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Defenestrategy posted:

as far as People Elbow finishers go, they're pretty rare. I can find two though.

The Rock d CM Punk Royal Rumble 2013 via peoples elbow.

Rock and Sock Connection d TakerShow via dual peoples elbow

Rock retained the title at SummerSlam 2000 by People's Elbowing HHH, though that triple-threat was all sorts of delightfully overbooked and at that point Hunter had been bonked with the sledgehammer by Angle if memory serves

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

davidbix posted:

And BTW, the clear up a popular misconception: He's not the director and never has been. On top of his executive office role and his executive producer role, he functions as the line producer during TV shoots.

Who ever is in charge of camera cuts should be fired, and anyone who looked at the camera production and thought it looked good should be sent to an ophthalmologist and then fired.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Defenestrategy posted:

RAW:Chris Benoit, Dean Malenko, Perry Saturn, Triple H & X-Pac defeat Cactus Jack, Rikishi Phatu, The Rock & Too Cool is apparently the only match to feature both Scotty And The Rock outside of rumbles. So thats neat I guess.

That's the one where Kane comes back with Paul Bearer and promptly beats the piss out of the Radicalz and D-X, IIRC. Rock, Foley, Too Cool, Rikishi and Kane along with Paul Bearer being a quasi-faction is really wild when you think about it.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

D.N. Nation posted:

Rock retained the title at SummerSlam 2000 by People's Elbowing HHH, though that triple-threat was all sorts of delightfully overbooked and at that point Hunter had been bonked with the sledgehammer by Angle if memory serves

I don't remember the Summerslam match too well outside of the table break accident but I do remember Rock beating HHH for the title at Backlash a few months earlier with the People's Elbow (although that did have Austin chairshotting HHH twice beforehand). He also beat Rikishi with it at Survivor Series that year.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Has there ever been a tag team or stable that mixed faces and heels, besides things like two singles wrestlers being lumped together for an angle?

Sure, wrestlers would go face and heel all the time and leave their group but did one exist that maintained the difference?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Has there ever been a tag team or stable that mixed faces and heels, besides things like two singles wrestlers being lumped together for an angle?

Sure, wrestlers would go face and heel all the time and leave their group but did one exist that maintained the difference?

Sting & Lex Luger? Sting was a clear face, he thought Luger was a good guy but Luger was a bit dastardly at times, but was always good to his friend Sting.

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Death Triangle has the Lucha Bros who are permafaces, and PAC who heavily leans heel

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

forkboy84 posted:

Sting & Lex Luger? Sting was a clear face, he thought Luger was a good guy but Luger was a bit dastardly at times, but was always good to his friend Sting.

We never did get a payoff to that years-long storyline, did we?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Whatever is going on with Swerve and Keith Lee for the past couple of months

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Dasher Hatfield (face) and Mr. Touchdown (heel) in Chikara did a pretty good job with this dynamic.

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
oh yeah Aron Stevens (heel) and The Question Mark (face, rip josephus) did a great great job with that dynamic in pre-pandemic NWA

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

The obvious angle for that is a double turn as both members slowly grow and learn to appreciate the other's style.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Lurks With Wolves posted:

He's not literally irreplacable, he just made the culture in WWE's production department weird and finnicky and a pain in the rear end to take apart and put back together if they wanted someone else to take over and change things. You know, like everything else about WWE's work culture.
Yeah, it's not so much that doing things differently would be a technical challenge, but that getting rid of Dunn means gutting and replacing an entire department, which is a much bigger ask than firing a department head that nobody likes.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 54 minutes!

Halloween Jack posted:

Yeah, it's not so much that doing things differently would be a technical challenge, but that getting rid of Dunn means gutting and replacing an entire department, which is a much bigger ask than firing a department head that nobody likes.

Yeah, once a department or company grows beyond a certain point, it's very difficult to get their particular culture to change how things are done. Doubly so if the person replacing the department head is an external hire. It's not impossible; as an example, Games Workshop had to replace their CEO a few years back, and the replacement almost immediately started changing how they did things in terms of engaging with customers and particularly the gaming press and social media (the previous CEO had been rather "isolationist" in that regard). But that guy had been a longtime GW employee who was promoted. I don't think WWE has anyone they could promote internally to do Dunn's job, or at the very least they're not in a big hurry to do so even if there is a potentially good candidate for the role.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

Yeah, there's like a billion producers looking for work in Hollywood. All WWE needs to do is ask any of their contacts at Fox/NBC for a reccomendation and they'd get a list of candidates to pick from with whatever experience they want (if they want sports guys, drama/sitcom guys, etc). And places like Full Sail pump out enough new peeps that they could restart the department easily with people who are technically proficient.

The problem is probably that things are probably set up in a crazy manner that everything is just catalogued in Dunn's brain or with a crazy system that only he knows so no one can find anything or they use some lovely proprietary products and software that only 3 people in the world remember how to program for and it would take a long time/money/efot to migrate.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

pseudodragon posted:

Yeah, there's like a billion producers looking for work in Hollywood. All WWE needs to do is ask any of their contacts at Fox/NBC for a reccomendation and they'd get a list of candidates to pick from with whatever experience they want (if they want sports guys, drama/sitcom guys, etc). And places like Full Sail pump out enough new peeps that they could restart the department easily with people who are technically proficient.

The problem is probably that things are probably set up in a crazy manner that everything is just catalogued in Dunn's brain or with a crazy system that only he knows so no one can find anything or they use some lovely proprietary products and software that only 3 people in the world remember how to program for and it would take a long time/money/efot to migrate.

The problem is he's one of the highest executives in the company and is not going to go willingly.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Penguin Patrol posted:

Death Triangle has the Lucha Bros who are permafaces, and PAC who heavily leans heel

Death Triangle has Fenix who is face aligned, PAC who is heel aligned, and Penta who is skeleton man aligned

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation

pseudodragon posted:

Pure speculation on my part, but I'm guessing if they forced Dunn out, any external hire is either going to have to fire a bunch of the existing production staff (and have near-immediate replacements for them on standby), or else try to do their best to learn and navigate the existing operational culture and deliberate institutional problems Dunn has set up in place to ensure that he can't be replaced easily. Which is not something any sane producer wants to have to do when they're coming in to take over the reins of having to produce weekly TV programs that don't have an off-season.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Why did WCW waste that bomb rear end entrance music on Jerry Flynn?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

LionYeti posted:

Death Triangle has Fenix who is face aligned, PAC who is heel aligned, and Penta who is skeleton man aligned

No lies detected

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Bullet Club and Suzuki-gun at various times probably fit your criteria.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Why did WCW waste that bomb rear end entrance music on Jerry Flynn?

Maybe nobody else wanted to walk to the ring to a Boston song?

It's just this song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJ42CLtr7Jg

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

MrBling posted:

Maybe nobody else wanted to walk to the ring to a Boston song?

It's just this song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJ42CLtr7Jg

Oh yeah I assumed it was a rip off/instrumental of a real song because it's WCW.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Oh yeah I assumed it was a rip off/instrumental of a real song because it's WCW.

also, it wasn't quite wasted because Jerry Lynn also got to use the song.

Possibly because whoever was in charge of the music assumed they were the same guy.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
if Boston rip offs are good enough for Final Fantasy 7 then they're good enough for WCW

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

We never did get a payoff to that years-long storyline, did we?

We sort of did with the blowoff of the nWo Sting angle. The real Sting came out the next night after Fall Brawl 96 and delivered the free agent promo, specifically mentioning how he gave Luger countless chances despite everything Luger’s done and said. Luger not believing him when he said he wasn’t nWo was the last straw, and he got fed up with both him and WCW outright.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Pure speculation on my part, but I'm guessing if they forced Dunn out, any external hire is either going to have to fire a bunch of the existing production staff (and have near-immediate replacements for them on standby), or else try to do their best to learn and navigate the existing operational culture and deliberate institutional problems Dunn has set up in place to ensure that he can't be replaced easily. Which is not something any sane producer wants to have to do when they're coming in to take over the reins of having to produce weekly TV programs that don't have an off-season.

Wouldn't how much stock I assume Dunn owes also be a factor? It may be too expensive to buy him out.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Dawgstar posted:

Wouldn't how much stock I assume Dunn owes also be a factor? It may be too expensive to buy him out.

As a publicly traded company it doesn’t matter how much stock Dunn owns. They fire him tomorrow and what? He sells? He’d be one of thousands, and if it was enough to move the stock price the dip would be normalized over time.

I imagine it’s the stress load of running 3x weekly shows with no down time that turns most people off, now try to find 2 or 3 of them to cover all the shows. That’s probably where the real issue is, how many people would be needed in the near to middle term to replace Dunn. Not like WWE has historically had any formalized succession plans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation

Nystral posted:

As a publicly traded company it doesn’t matter how much stock Dunn owns. They fire him tomorrow and what? He sells? He’d be one of thousands, and if it was enough to move the stock price the dip would be normalized over time.

I imagine it’s the stress load of running 3x weekly shows with no down time that turns most people off, now try to find 2 or 3 of them to cover all the shows. That’s probably where the real issue is, how many people would be needed in the near to middle term to replace Dunn. Not like WWE has historically had any formalized succession plans.

One thing that I just thought of that they could potentially do, would be to start slowly outsourcing their TV production to an outside production company. Like start with NXT, then gradually phase Dunn out more and more until the external company is handling most of the production duties. That would give them a reason to eventually cut Dunn loose (as they would have effectively eliminated his position) and just have someone in a position as the executive liaison between WWE and whatever company.

The downsides to that idea, of course, are finding a production company with all the talent and experience necessary to handle doing a weekly wrestling show on the scale of WWE that isn't also already tied up doing other live sporting event shows, and also showing that the costs of outsourcing WWE's TV production would be outweighed by the money saved from not having to pay Dunn (and most of his staff) a salary anymore.