Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Yeah, just buy like ten Magsafe batteries and cycle through them. There’s a reason the baseline for battery life is no longer three days. No one needs it, and there’s a cleaner solution for everyone else who does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Bad Purchase posted:

you can kinda do this with battery cases if that's your preference

Oh, yeah I totally do. But for now gonna try something different.

Anyone try these laser etched wood cases off of Etsy? Curious about the structural integrity of the case.

I'm thinking of that or a custom print of just some art pic I like.

Not really looking for functional but curious if anyone has experience

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

mistermojo posted:

drat the cameras are so big the phone wont lie flat even with the official leather case

maybe they could add a little nub on the bottom for balance and for fiddling with

https://www.amazon.com.au/Scotch-SP...s%2C388&sr=8-20

You get two phone's worth for 7 bux!

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Bad Purchase posted:

you can kinda do this with battery cases if that's your preference

It looks like that style of battery case has gone the way of the dodo.

Now they're more about the MagSafe battery pack, which has upsides and downsides.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
On a shortcuts-related note, I’ve spotted there’s a couple of ones for Voice Memos just hanging out in there that don’t seem to be delteable. Any way of getting shut of them short of scrubbing the related app?

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Anyone else have issues with Spotify and battery life? Using it on a 13 mini and it chewed through like 40% of my battery in a few hours. Could it be because it's a new phone and spotify is doing some background indexing? (Downloads had all been downloaded overnight while charging so shouldn't be that).

I've switched to Apple Music, which seems a lot kinder on battery life, but it's also worse in just about every conceivable way - and I really miss being able to easily use Spotify as a remote to control music on any other device. All Apple Music really has going for it is lossless and not giving money to Joe Rogan.

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

Anyone ever experience the camera app being responsible for significant battery usage? I happened to check my battery usage by app because my 14 pro max battery life has been less than ideal and the camera is responsible for using like 82% of the battery over the last 24 hours. Weird thing is that I never opened the camera app and it says it was only “1 min on screen.” If I click each individual bar graph, the camera is “used” at random hours of the day, like between 10-11 PM when I’m in bed and it just says “Connected to charger.”

I went through the privacy settings to see which apps have access and turned off a few, but this poo poo makes no sense.

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,
el que pinta es el pintor.

The Caudabe Sheath is a very nice case—thanks to everyone that recommended it. It feels like the good fabric cases Google made several generations ago for the Pixel.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

GhostOfTomNook posted:

Nope, I was wrong. Airplay is still dogshit that stops the video on my TV if I open the twiiter app on my phone.

I hate that apps are allowed to just steal media focus willy nilly, like no - I'm purposely listening to music right now and the lovely game I'm opening is set to muted in its settings but is intentionally stealing the focus so it can play ads.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
The noise the phone makes when you locate it with the watch has changed. Gone from an echo-y ping to a rapid 123-1-12 rhythm.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Kerbtree posted:

The noise the phone makes when you locate it with the watch has changed. Gone from an echo-y ping to a rapid 123-1-12 rhythm.

My dumb dogs don't like it and bark at it now :argh:

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

EL BROMANCE posted:

I hate that apps are allowed to just steal media focus willy nilly, like no - I'm purposely listening to music right now and the lovely game I'm opening is set to muted in its settings but is intentionally stealing the focus so it can play ads.

I hate that this hasn’t been fixed, it’s all over the map. Iirc Twitter videos will pause a podcast then the podcast, then I have to unpause afterwards to keep playing. Instagram plays at the same time without interruption. Some audio will pause the podcast then it unpauses once it’s done.

But the worst is ads I didn’t want to hear in the first place stealing focus so I have to go back to the podcast player to restart. I just want to be able to keep audio playing until I stop it myself, no matter what else comes up.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The search in the settings app is sure useless. Here I was wondering why my phone didn't want to charge until I've unlocked, and apparently stopped after a while. I seemed to remember a setting back on my 12 Pro, that I toggled. But gently caress me if it were easy to find. You'd figure typing "USB" in the search field would make it show up. But nope. Eventually the interwebs helped me find the "USB Accessories" setting in Face ID -> Enable when Locked. Thanks Tim Apple.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

The Grumbles posted:

Anyone else have issues with Spotify and battery life? Using it on a 13 mini and it chewed through like 40% of my battery in a few hours. Could it be because it's a new phone and spotify is doing some background indexing? (Downloads had all been downloaded overnight while charging so shouldn't be that).

I've switched to Apple Music, which seems a lot kinder on battery life, but it's also worse in just about every conceivable way - and I really miss being able to easily use Spotify as a remote to control music on any other device. All Apple Music really has going for it is lossless and not giving money to Joe Rogan.

i haven’t had that problem on the 14Pro with Spotify /battery life. Speaking of, I just went back to Spotify after a few months on Apple Music, which is surprisingly real bad, especially when handing off to different devices, even if those devices are iOS! On top of that you need to use a separate app to listen to podcasts, which are even worse at remembering your place between devices.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Combat Pretzel posted:

The search in the settings app is sure useless. Here I was wondering why my phone didn't want to charge until I've unlocked, and apparently stopped after a while. I seemed to remember a setting back on my 12 Pro, that I toggled. But gently caress me if it were easy to find. You'd figure typing "USB" in the search field would make it show up. But nope. Eventually the interwebs helped me find the "USB Accessories" setting in Face ID -> Enable when Locked. Thanks Tim Apple.

I just tested on my 11 pro and it’ll merrily charge with that setting off with my thumb over the notch to block faceid. Plug into my pc, no bueno, however.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

This is a common theme with the settings app.

When I was trying to remove the search button from the Home Screen typing search didn’t come up with it which is dumb because it’s actually a toggle for search on the Home Screen

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Kerbtree posted:

I just tested on my 11 pro and it’ll merrily charge with that setting off with my thumb over the notch to block faceid. Plug into my pc, no bueno, however.

It depends on what it’s plugged into.

Charge-only device? Fine when locked.
Charging + data device? No charging unless unlocked.
Flaky cable or dirty charging port? Could go either way, depending on how the phone sees it. If you’re getting this on a charger, there’s a hardware issue somewhere along the way.

It’s a security thing to theoretically protect against stuff like those fake chargers that supposedly steal data/inject malware. I guess they can’t leave the power lines open without exposing the data lines, so the whole thing shuts down.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Kerbtree posted:

I guess I forgot to mention the PC. I'm not entirely sure what the phone is doing here, because there's 5V/500mA on the connection regardless. Can use that and still block data.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Combat Pretzel posted:

I guess I forgot to mention the PC. I'm not entirely sure what the phone is doing here, because there's 5V/500mA on the connection regardless. Can use that and still block data.

There's rules on asking for power over USB and if you're not a dumb charger (with a specific resistance across the data pins) or a device actually chatting to the host, then per the USB Charging Specs:
https://www.usb.org/document-library/battery-charging-v12-spec-and-adopters-agreement and the general usb spec itself, USB devices are required to do various interactions with the D+/D- lines on a connection in order to not count as suspended. If you don't do that, all you'll get is !SUSP, aka 2.5mA.

literally dumb stuff like LED lights and whatever have the right resistor in there, basically.

"A USB device must be able to be
addressed within a specified time period from when power is initially applied (refer to Chapter 7)."

"Maximum time a device can draw
power >suspend power when bus
is continuously in idle state
T2SUSP Section 7.1.7.6 10 ms"

Once that kicks in, the phone would have to talk on the data lines to get the bus out of Suspend.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

the always on screen is really something. and the home screen customization is very sleek, great job by the developers on that one

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
My Mom is using an iPhone 6s Plus on Mint Mobile, and the phone is on it's last legs. In whatever she gets next she needs at least 256gb of storage, but doesn't necessarily need the latest and greatest, just something that will last her another 4-5 years. Is an unlocked iPhone 13 from Apple for $799 her best bet, or is there something older she could look at used that's almost as good?

frogbs fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Sep 27, 2022

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

frogbs posted:

My Mom is using an iPhone 6s Plus on Mint Mobile, and the phone is on it's last legs. IN whateevr she gets next she needs at least 256gb of storage, but doesn't necessarily need the latest and greatest, just something that will last her another 4-5 years. Is an unlocked iPhone 13 from Apple for $799 her best bet, or is there something older she could look at used that's almost as good?

Assuming she's using all that storage for photography and video recording, the 13 comes with sensor shift optical image stabilization on the main lens. It'd bea solid pick imo.
The 6.1 has the same battery life as the 11, but if you use the dark mode wizardry, you get even longer screen on times.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Sep 27, 2022

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

MarcusSA posted:

This is a common theme with the settings app.

When I was trying to remove the search button from the Home Screen typing search didn’t come up with it which is dumb because it’s actually a toggle for search on the Home Screen

Yep, Settings is such a mess. When I got my new phone I was going through everything, there are just so many oddities in the organization.

Can anyone explain why the setting to toggle on/off Live Text (allows you to copy text directly from an image) is in General > Language & Region? An area mostly used to set date formats and preferred units?

Can't find the toggle because it's in a weird place? Don't worry, type "Live Text", the precise name of the toggle, into the search box in the Settings app and you'll get... absolutely nothing! Thanks, Apple!

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
If you think that's bad, you should see what they've done to Settings in MacOS.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

TVs Ian posted:

It depends on what it’s plugged into.

Charge-only device? Fine when locked.
Charging + data device? No charging unless unlocked.
Flaky cable or dirty charging port? Could go either way, depending on how the phone sees it. If you’re getting this on a charger, there’s a hardware issue somewhere along the way.

It’s a security thing to theoretically protect against stuff like those fake chargers that supposedly steal data/inject malware. I guess they can’t leave the power lines open without exposing the data lines, so the whole thing shuts down.

Our work laptops have some garbage security software that blocks USB mass storage and for some reason they can't charge a phone over USB-A.
The USB-C ports work fine. Go figure.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Jose Oquendo posted:

If you think that's bad, you should see what they've done to Settings in MacOS.

macos settings still seems pretty good to me, but maybe that’s because i’m judging it compared to windows and linux desktop equivalents instead of something sane and simple

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Bad Purchase posted:

macos settings still seems pretty good to me, but maybe that’s because i’m judging it compared to windows and linux desktop equivalents instead of something sane and simple

System Preferences has been virtually the same for a really long time. Now it looks like iOS Settings.app. Things that were muscle memory are gone and some things are in weird spots. It will definitely take some adjustment.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Bad Purchase posted:

The fact that Spotlight actually works on mac helps a lot, if you don't know where it is it'll show up on your search. Windows moves settings every six months and the search works about half the time.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Rick posted:

The fact that Spotlight actually works on mac helps a lot, if you don't know where it is it'll show up on your search. Windows moves settings every six months and the search works about half the time.

Spotlight is the coolest goddamn thing on Mac, iOS, and iPad OS as someone who's just recently got into Apple products since about 2 years ago. I still try to use Windows Key + Spacebar on my Windows desktop. I'm kind of surprised to see it's not in Windows 11.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

ThermoPhysical posted:

Spotlight is the coolest goddamn thing on Mac, iOS, and iPad OS as someone who's just recently got into Apple products since about 2 years ago. I still try to use Windows Key + Spacebar on my Windows desktop. I'm kind of surprised to see it's not in Windows 11.

Get power toys and that command will work

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The most baffling thing about modern Windows when I have to use it is that they've "solved" the sprawling Control Panels dating back to 1995 problem by ... adding an equally sprawling "Settings" thing right next to it and leaving Control Panels exactly the same

Where are your trackpad or keyboard controls? Are they in Settings? Control Panels? Some special snowflake Dell add-on dialog panel thing? What if I want to add an external keyboard/trackpad, does it obey ANY of the settings I apply in any of those places, like to reverse the two-finger scroll direction? Lol what do you think

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Data Graham posted:

The most baffling thing about modern Windows when I have to use it is that they've "solved" the sprawling Control Panels dating back to 1995 problem by ... adding an equally sprawling "Settings" thing right next to it and leaving Control Panels exactly the same

Where are your trackpad or keyboard controls? Are they in Settings? Control Panels? Some special snowflake Dell add-on dialog panel thing? What if I want to add an external keyboard/trackpad, does it obey ANY of the settings I apply in any of those places, like to reverse the two-finger scroll direction? Lol what do you think

Whoa whoa whoa. What's with this erasure of having to change settings manually in a unintuitively named .ini file inside a hidden folder with a stupid name left somewhere within My Documents?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
In case people were wondering if the AirPods Pro recall trick was still active, it does. Just grabbed a free set(L/R) with a single malfunctioning earbud.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

SlowBloke posted:

In case people were wondering if the AirPods Pro recall trick was still active, it does. Just grabbed a free set(L/R) with a single malfunctioning earbud.

Did the same recently, too. Didn't even ask for the working one to be replaced but they did anyway.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Pretty sure they just automatically replace both. I had to take mine in last year because one was giving me issues and they just replaced both

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I’ve been having an issue with Notes for a while now, where I’ll switch back to Notes from another app and my note will appear blank. Typing into appears to do nothing.

If I force quit and reopen the app the note will open normally and any text entered while it appeared blank will be there too.

I’m not sure when this started but it’s been at least a year. It may have started when I switched from an 8 to a 13, and continues on my new 14.

I’ve seen other people reporting similar but haven’t found a fix. Anyone know what’s going on here?

The only thing I can add is that all the notes are in a file called Gmail. I’m not even sure how or when that happened, I’m pretty sure they hadn’t been in a folder.

E- sounds like I’m the only one here but if I’m not, this might be worth a try https://www.iphonetricks.org/notes-app-blank-on-iphone-not-showing-text/

Snowy fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Sep 29, 2022

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...
Oh neat. Woke up this morning feeling like something was off and realized my alarm hadn’t gone off. Looked over at my phone 14 Pro (plugged into the charging cable) and it was off. Well that’s weird, maybe I got lint in the port and it died overnight? Nope. Phone wouldn’t power on at all. No charging indicator, nothing. It was like it was bricked.

Finally found out how to force restart (volume up, volume down, hold side button) and it popped back to life.

WTF.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Haven’t even had my phone for 24 hours and the front glass is already scratched deeply. My iPhone 13 made it a whole year without any nicks on the screen. Thanks Tim apple

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Still waiting for my phone to process my pics for photo shuffle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

So I’m on a 11 Pro, and with Verizon’s offer of $800 for trade in, I’ve seriously been debating on going to a 14 Pro, but now I’m even thinking/tempted by the 14 Pro Max.

Has anyone gone from one of the standard size Pros to a Pro Max and have feedback on it?

I had a 6+ then a 8+, but so much of the size was take up by non-screen elements that when I went to the 11 Pro, it seemed like such an improvement.

The +’s always seemed big, and I know the Pro Max is about that size, but having it be all screen seems so nice…