Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Shipon posted:

I haven't played with the beta or anything yet so I'm trying out DLSS for the first time and while the FPS uplift is absolutely real (at 4k DLSS Quality I go from 40-43 to 60 in a 208 at all Ultra settings on my 3090), the G1000 display is super blurry. Not blurry so much in the lower resolution sense (although I can tell it is upscaled slightly), but blurry temporally.

do you need to manually install dx12 to use it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Update did nothing for airliner fps drops.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
huge improvement for vr fps, i can mostly run on ultra now with an acceptable framerate

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I tried MSFS2020 again on the Steam Deck because of the huge performance improvements I've seen on my Desktop and at the lowest settings, including resolution (320x240 or something, lol), it was playable at 30~ FPS. It looked like SimCopter visually, but whatever.

I'm baffled that it worked. I might connect my Yoke/Throttle/Pedals to my Steam Deck via dock and try and do some flights on a full sized monitor just for the laughs.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

sigher posted:

I tried MSFS2020 again on the Steam Deck because of the huge performance improvements I've seen on my Desktop and at the lowest settings, including resolution (320x240 or something, lol), it was playable at 30~ FPS. It looked like SimCopter visually, but whatever.

I'm baffled that it worked. I might connect my Yoke/Throttle/Pedals to my Steam Deck via dock and try and do some flights on a full sized monitor just for the laughs.

MSFS is best enjoyed in 320x240 CGA mode.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

lobsterminator posted:

MSFS is best enjoyed in 320x240 CGA mode.

Welp now I have to go generate FS2.0 cover art using MSFS.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Shipon posted:

I haven't played with the beta or anything yet so I'm trying out DLSS for the first time and while the FPS uplift is absolutely real (at 4k DLSS Quality I go from 40-43 to 60 in a 208 at all Ultra settings on my 3090), the G1000 display is super blurry. Not blurry so much in the lower resolution sense (although I can tell it is upscaled slightly), but blurry temporally.

I think I read somewhere that this might be addressed in an upcoming driver update.

Bourricot
Aug 7, 2016

sigher posted:

From Linux or from Windows?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Is OnAir company the only program of it's kind? I want to get back into MSFS but I need something like OnAir to make me actually want to play. It gives me missions, goals, stuff to work towards, it makes the game 1,000,000x better. I just want to know if there are alternatives to it, perhaps something does it better, or provides more choice?

Cat Wings
Oct 12, 2012

There's Neofly which is free, and also FSEconomy still exists.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

Stringent posted:

do you need to manually install dx12 to use it?

DLSS works with D11 too, but I think it needs an RTX card to work. And yeah it makes VR run super fast, and that's without the new nvidia driver that's supposed to make D12 work well. But the blurriness and ghosting of all the displays is kind of annoying, especially when dialing in your autopilot or coms. But honestly, that's a small price to pay for how much smoother it now runs for me.

I am a bit dissapointed that this update still hasn't addressed things like atc, or AI planes refusing to vacate runways or just spinning around on their own axis. Even a small fix would've been welcome, like ATC actually allowing me to answer a call before telling five random AI planes about a traffic alert two continents away. Or just allowing a pilot to say "unable" for some of the more insane altitude requests (and then actually having atc stop asking for it too).

I'm kind of done with all the graphics updates and world updates, would be nice if they fixed the core game a bit more first.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I tried DLSS on my 2070. I like it, but I wish there was an 'even more quality' setting. Because even on the 'quality' setting, there is substantial ghosting. That's fine on the a320's glass displays. In fact, I kind of dig that -- it emulates the low refresh rate of many real displays. So that's actually a plus from me. However the ghosting is also really strong on other things, such as cars on the ground. You basically get 30m long ghost cars streaking across the highway. But it is a massive improvement.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Oh dang, that reminds me. Does anyone know if this new update has the latest DLSS dll file implemented? If not, I'm gonna try updating that later and see if it reduces ghosting

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Related to that, what the hell is taking them with implementing DX12? I've never seen a company have such trouble implementing DX12, particularly one that's partnered with the bloody company that created DX12.

Are there other games that were originally DX11 but made the switch to DX12 quickly and without bugs and performance issues? The ones I'm familiar with have had the same kind of issues as MSFS. If there are any that didn't, they're probably either on a commercial engine like Unreal and/or were doing DX12 development in the background for a long-rear end time without including it in public releases as "you can try this, but it probably won't be great" the way Asobo has.

DX12 puts the onus on the game/engine devs to do a lot of the optimization work that's handled by the GPU driver devs in DX11 (and earlier). That's why Intel ARC cards look reasonably competitive in DX12, but eat poo poo in DX11: Intel doesn't have the years of game/engine specific optimizations in their drivers that AMD and nVidia do. That doesn't matter for DX12, because the game devs have to do it themselves. It's a lot more time and effort, but ultimately probably worth it, especially a game with really complex geometry like MSFS.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
Everything really needs to switch back to Glide, by far the best API.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

So does redlining the RPM constantly in FS2020 actually do anything? Asking because my leisurely flight towards Cologne suddenly turned into catastrophe as my autopiloted Diamond veered and rolled instantly to the left and barreled into the ground with so little warning that I had no time to diagnose the problem.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Are you using one of the Diamond "realism mods" available online?

AFAIK, MSFS doesn't natively simulate any kind of engine wear, or failures from abusing an engine, so that shouldn't have caused any kind of failure.

If you were using the AI "assistant" (not the autopilot fitted to the airplane), that tends to do weird poo poo, so that might be part of it.

Failing that, my only other guesses would be icing or the weather system completely going nuts.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

On my first flight with one of the diamonds, I forgot to switch fuel tanks and my plane ran out of fuel while at 4x sim speed. I just barely managed to smash the pause key in time to diagnose the issue and save the plane from crashing.

When the plane runs out of fuel with autopilot on, I believe the AP will just keep doing its thing, trying to maintain altitude by pitching the plane up as it loses speed, and it'll keep doing this until it stalls and nose-dives. So it could've been that.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I still wish the devs would fix the auto pilot in Flight Sim so it can actually you know, fly from one airport to another and not crash into the ground most of the time. :/

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Autopilot works fine and has done for over a year. GPS procedures are hosed on everything except the G1000 aircraft but it can fly a straight line between two airports just fine.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Black Griffon posted:

So does redlining the RPM constantly in FS2020 actually do anything? Asking because my leisurely flight towards Cologne suddenly turned into catastrophe as my autopiloted Diamond veered and rolled instantly to the left and barreled into the ground with so little warning that I had no time to diagnose the problem.

Were you on live weather? A couple of times I had 200 kt winds appear randomly.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Number_6 posted:

Anyone else learn flight simming on Sublogic's FS II on a Commodore 64? It got maybe three frames/second, tops.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCehXfpJVUA
I literally fired this up a few months ago (still have an old C64 and legit boxed copy of FS2) and it was woeful. Some things truly are better left as memories.

Beef Of Ages posted:

Enabling non-VR DLSS has resulted in gauges getting a bit gauzy and blurred in the A320 but everything else seems to be ok.

I tried it with a G1000 172 (one of the landing challenges) and it was blurry and awful with 12 beta so went back to DX11.

I have not updated my drivers so maybe I'll do that and play around with it.

Speaking of:

Is there a good tutorial/recommended settings for the video options and what they all do?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

azflyboy posted:

Failing that, my only other guesses would be icing or the weather system completely going nuts.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

On my first flight with one of the diamonds, I forgot to switch fuel tanks and my plane ran out of fuel while at 4x sim speed. I just barely managed to smash the pause key in time to diagnose the issue and save the plane from crashing.

When the plane runs out of fuel with autopilot on, I believe the AP will just keep doing its thing, trying to maintain altitude by pitching the plane up as it loses speed, and it'll keep doing this until it stalls and nose-dives. So it could've been that.

See these would be my go-to explanations, but I was at peak green speed, had about 30% fuel and engine noise was good. Full realism, no mods, all natural AP.

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Were you on live weather? A couple of times I had 200 kt winds appear randomly.

I think it must've been something like this. It wasn't like a stall into an uncontrolled spin, but rather like a fist slapping my plane.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

slidebite posted:

I literally fired this up a few months ago (still have an old C64 and legit boxed copy of FS2) and it was woeful. Some things truly are better left as memories.

I used to suffer through crashing into the Sears Tower in FS2 on an Apple IIe back in the day. It was, if you can believe it, even worse. Flying through abstract polygons in glorious 1-2 FPS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtrB5sQtrvA&t=25s

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
With FSII, as you approached any runway for landing, the airport graphics would usually drag the FPS down to a point where you had no idea if you were going to survive the touchdown or not. Nevertheless I played that thing for many many hours (and later, the Sublogic "Jet" combat sim version with the F-16 & F-18). Supersonic dogfights are hard at 2 FPS.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Is anyone playing X-plane 12? How is it? I just now learned that it's out in early access.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Number_6 posted:

With FSII, as you approached any runway for landing, the airport graphics would usually drag the FPS down to a point where you had no idea if you were going to survive the touchdown or not. Nevertheless I played that thing for many many hours (and later, the Sublogic "Jet" combat sim version with the F-16 & F-18). Supersonic dogfights are hard at 2 FPS.

Gunship is the only C64 flight sim I've actually had fun even in recent years. Helicopter flight is more forgiving with FPS and it's smooth enough to enjoy tolerate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8bBV7uzbSs

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

lobsterminator posted:

Gunship is the only C64 flight sim I've actually had fun even in recent years. Helicopter flight is more forgiving with FPS and it's smooth enough to enjoy tolerate.

I played that a lot!
And then later the Amiga version.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Bourricot posted:

From Linux or from Windows?

Linux, I don't run Windows on my Deck.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

I said come in! posted:

Is anyone playing X-plane 12? How is it? I just now learned that it's out in early access.

It's like stock XP11 with Reshade and Enhanced Skyscapes built in and slightly better stock Ortho.

Some of the XP11 plug ins work (Avitab, X-Camera, FlywithLua I've personally tested).

Some aftermarket planes work (just copy them over) but will require updates for it to use the new XP12 features. The more plugin/script heavy the plane, the less chance it's going to work without an official developer update (like the Hotstart planes, FJS Q400, etc.).

I picked it up in Early Access because I figured I'm going to buy it anyways when it hits the full release. If you're in the same boat, and don't mind the fact that it's a beta and many thing you like from XP11 won't work yet, go for it.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I’m reading Cadillac Desert and now I need to do the California/Nevada bush trip again.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Cat Wings posted:

There's Neofly which is free, and also FSEconomy still exists.

Also AirHauler 2 which is very similar to OnAir but with a one time purchase instead of a subscription

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Mister Bates posted:

Also AirHauler 2 which is very similar to OnAir but with a one time purchase instead of a subscription

There’s also TheSkypark that is maybe a little looser, but is my personal preference for “missions.” Also a one time purchase.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

lobsterminator posted:

Gunship! was a great product. The graphics were "just good enough" but the mission generator was good enough so it seemed fresh every time. I don't know if it was truly random but it never felt scripted or repetitive. Microprose had a really good streak with that, F-19 Stealth Fighter, Airborne Ranger, etc.

Bourricot
Aug 7, 2016

sigher posted:

Linux, I don't run Windows on my Deck.

Nice! I'll give it a spin on my own Deck.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Looks like the newest Geforce drivers just released this morning, with the DLSS 2 update for MSFS in it. Time to give it a spin at lunch.

EDIT: Doesn't fix the blurry displays with DLSS it seems, but I am getting an extra 10 frames or so compared to yesterday. I'm on a high-end system that I've seen suggested might not see much improvement with DLSS, and that seems to check out - TAA actually runs...possibly better somehow? for me? Either way I'm cleanly over 60 fps the whole way through, and god drat am I glad for it.

With mostly-ultra settings in TAA, 70 FPS sitting on the ground at Boulder CO in a GA plane, 58-64 taking off from a Marketplace-bought DIA in Denver in an A320neo with FPS in the 70s-80s once I'm in the air? gently caress yeah.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Sep 27, 2022

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Squiggle posted:

Looks like the newest Geforce drivers just released this morning, with the DLSS 2 update for MSFS in it. Time to give it a spin at lunch.

Thank you for the heads up, going to download that right now and give it a try. Right now I can pretty much only play Flight Sim on lowest settings except texture quality I have at high.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

lol I took off from a airport with a stable smooth frame rate. Update is good.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Number_6 posted:

Gunship! was a great product. The graphics were "just good enough" but the mission generator was good enough so it seemed fresh every time. I don't know if it was truly random but it never felt scripted or repetitive. Microprose had a really good streak with that, F-19 Stealth Fighter, Airborne Ranger, etc.

Great manual too. GS2000 was my favourite, long hours slogging blackhawks around behind apaches and cobras because I couldnt figure out how to order them to do lifts and whatnot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Squiggle posted:

Oh this is interesting. My rig is powerful enough that I've never actually suffered (as in felt miserable and like poo poo) from poor performance, but framerate has been uneven, and there's been sections that are just way chuggier than they ought to be with a high-end computer.