Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
I was in jury selection for a guy who went the pro se route who got the bright idea to reject every single jury candidate available one at a time until the judge got fed up with him. Can’t have a trial if there’s no jury. Sitting there for several hours while he challenged people one at a time was like watching paint dry - but the guy himself was entertaining and was treating the room of 80+ disgruntled people like it was a big party in his honor.

Edit: I was not selected. The other times I got called I was put in the 2nd panel group and they managed to get a full jury out of the first panel so I just sat in the crappy jury break room all day and went home without my $11. The final time they just told us at around 11am they didn’t need any of us b/c cases were continued or something along those lines.

Frank Frank fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Sep 27, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
This one time, at jury duty...

(Fake edit: but really can't wait until tomorrow)

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Wish I had any jury stories but I'm worried if I ever get called up they would see how keen and overly eager
I would be to be a juror and they would pass.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Confusedslight posted:

Wish I had any jury stories but I'm worried if I ever get called up they would see how keen and overly eager
I would be to be a juror and they would pass.

These people actually do show up and you can usually identify them because they wear a suit and tie to jury selection

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
There is no way in hell I'd be selected for a jury. I'd imagine my mental illnesses alone would disqualify me but eh, who knows?

I also have very strong opinions, mostly against our criminal justice system, so that'd definitely come up.

I went to a city meeting and stood up to talk and got into it with the chief of police when he was talking about what they're doing about heroin. My very close cousin just died from an OD and I wasn't happy with his responses. Obviously just punishing people more was the solution. The district attorney approached me in the bathroom, while I was pissing, to tell me that he agreed with me which was nice though.

No way I'd be selected.

edit: I absolutely would not mind being on a jury (I think) and would do my best to comply with the law but I'm going to say what is truly right or wrong and that won't slide.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
I got called to jury duty, went in, and there was probably like 80 people all crammed into a room built in 1973, all masked up due to COVID and uncomfortably close. Eventually they called some people and told them to go fill their meters and head out for lunch. After they all left, they told the rest of us to leave, and that they wouldn’t contact us for a year.

I’m salaried and my company’s stance on jury duty is “we’ll keep paying you for however long it takes, just keep your boss in the loop.” So whatever, it was time spent browsing the forums instead of debugging code. But if I wasn’t, and I had to blow a day’s worth of minimum wages waiting around only to be told to leave, that I wouldn’t be paid for my time, and having to pay for my own parking, I would have been pissed.

It is a privilege to serve on a jury, but you have to be privileged to do so without a material negative impact to your life.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Tunicate posted:

Jury duty is your only opportunity to legally hold the power of life or death over your fellow citizens. Why would you ever give up that chance???????

This is how I view it. You get way more influence on society as a juror than by casting your vote every 4 years that is worth 1 millionth of an opinion.

Unfortunately I'm not eligible for being a juror because lawyers are excluded where I live, probably because they would have an outsized influence on the jury, as demonstrated by the above anecdotes.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Blue Moonlight posted:

I got called to jury duty, went in, and there was probably like 80 people all crammed into a room built in 1973, all masked up due to COVID and uncomfortably close. Eventually they called some people and told them to go fill their meters and head out for lunch. After they all left, they told the rest of us to leave, and that they wouldn’t contact us for a year.

I’m salaried and my company’s stance on jury duty is “we’ll keep paying you for however long it takes, just keep your boss in the loop.” So whatever, it was time spent browsing the forums instead of debugging code. But if I wasn’t, and I had to blow a day’s worth of minimum wages waiting around only to be told to leave, that I wouldn’t be paid for my time, and having to pay for my own parking, I would have been pissed.

It is a privilege to serve on a jury, but you have to be privileged to do so without a material negative impact to your life.

imo the law should be that if you get called for jury duty your employer is A) required to pay your full wages/salary for the duration of the trial, and B) forbidden from firing you from the moment you're called until you're released from jury duty. also mandatory jail time for violators

and if you don't have an employer then the state should be required to pay you a living wage during that time, because obviously you can't go looking for work while you're on jury duty.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

SchrodingersCat posted:

I've been called for jury duty three times.

Every time, they've asked me what my education is. I always tell them I have two master's degrees. I'm always the first one kicked out. First case was a robbery, next two were domestic assault.

That is my jury duty story.

Hey now, you should know better. Only the dumbest, most clueless fucks they can find are allowed on juries in our beautiful country

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

Play posted:

Hey now, you should know better. Only the dumbest, most clueless fucks they can find are allowed on juries in our beautiful country

I love it, it's a get-out-of-jury-duty free pass.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Play posted:

I would always kick engineers if the case was simple because they would invent mysteries and then attempt to solve them.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

imo the law should be that if you get called for jury duty your employer is A) required to pay your full wages/salary for the duration of the trial, and B) forbidden from firing you from the moment you're called until you're released from jury duty.

At the very least B is federal law:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/28/1875

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Yeah any of my jobs I worked at would have fired me if I didn't show up for 2 days for jury duty regardless of the reason and despite me working there for a few years lol.

If it wasn't legal? Well, I'm not about to get into a lawsuit to get my job back where my company now hates me because they legally had to hire me back.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Jury Duty 1, 2001: a robbery/shooting which was fairly cut and dry. We dropped the "with intent to kill" because some old bat on the jury insisted that "if he had wanted to kill him he would have aimed for his head!". The victim charged the defendant from across a Days Inn room but this dipshit thought he had time to take careful aim. There was also an idiot who spun out a crazy story about how the defendant might not have done it for twenty minutes. The foreman finally had enough and said "look, are you voting not guilty or what?", to which the idiot replied "oh he's guilty but I just wanted to exercise everyone's minds!"

Jury Duty 2, 2022: some drunk dipshit nails a woman's car on a country road at night, several witnesses report him exiting the car and walking up the highway. Highway patrol has him on dashcam stumbling up the shoulder and being drunk as hell. Dude's blood alcohol was twice the legal limit. Again, cut and dried, but after three days they finally go to deliberate; as the alternate juror this means I sit alone in a room and fart for half an hour. They call us back in because the dude decided to plead guilty. Thanks dude, wish your attorney had done that in the first place and saved me the time.

Twice inbetween I was summonsed; the first time they announced half an hour in they wouldn't be seating anyone and we were released. Second time, a phone call the night before told me they weren't convening and I was released. Both times I didn't bother going to work anyway and just told my boss it lasted all day and I wasn't seated.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Yeah any of my jobs I worked at would have fired me if I didn't show up for 2 days for jury duty regardless of the reason and despite me working there for a few years lol.

If it wasn't legal? Well, I'm not about to get into a lawsuit to get my job back where my company now hates me because they legally had to hire me back.

You can take a payout instead, don't have to sue for your job back.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Zil posted:

You can take a payout instead, don't have to sue for your job back.

A payout from my company? Like they would pay me to quit? lol. No. They'd just say "You weren't here for X many days that you were supposed to be here so you are now fired." That's it.

I've worked for a lot of corporations including Google (contracted of course) and they'll fire you if you're a minute late. They absolutely do not care about you.

I was in fact fired for working at a very big music company after 2 years (I got a $0.25 raise after 2 years) for being a few minutes late a few times too many despite me creating my own job because the dude who had it before me just walked out one day and never came back because it was so awful and literally no one knew how to do it. So they were like, well here is his computer.... figure it out. I created my own position, title, and obviously figured out how to talk with our international partners. I was the sole international parts distributor for Crate, Ampeg, Tapco, EAW, some other big poo poo. Nah, they didn't give a gently caress.

Got fired for being 5 minutes late again.

gently caress them.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Sep 27, 2022

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

I meant more you sue, and win, to get money instead of getting your job back.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Aren't they legally required to let you miss work if you get jury duty? And yeah yeah I know, "lol legal, lol if they'd care about laws," I get it, I mean isn't that actually the law. Or is it another case of States Rights?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

My experience is they have to let you go to jury duty and can’t fire you for going, but they also do not have to pay you.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

there should be professional jurors like there are professional amazon product reviewers, it's pretty much the same job

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Nah, you don't have to sue them, that's the Department of Labor's job. If you have any evidence (the notice of jury duty alone and a record of when you were on the bench should suffice if they're dumb enough to fire you while you're seated) it'll be a slam dunk and 3-6 months later you'll get a couple thousand sent your way out of your ex-boss's pocket. Not great but if you're gonna get hosed over might as well sic the government on your rear end in a top hat boss.

The Department of Labor does not care if a company pays its worker poo poo wages. The DoL cares intensely if companies violate what few rights workers have, especially with a clear paper trail as so many lovely employers do. You can't get much clearer than "Your worker Frown, Pennywise, was serving as part of a jury between dates A and D. You terminated their employment on B. According to federal law you owe them $ for wrongful termination. If you decide to fight this we'll investigate you for other issues and you'll be paying several workers $$$. Your choice."

On the other hand, as others have said, your rear end in a top hat employer doesn't have to pay you to serve, and if you can't afford that time without money I doubt anyone here will blame you for ducking out.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
i have never seen a news program in my life, I'm too dumb to have an opinion about literally anything, and words coming out of people's mouths signify nothing to me. my vision is restricted to a 2 degree cone directly in front of me, as if I were in the darkest cave. i have never had a thought in my life, i refuse to react to external stimuli, and i mysteriously live in the zone between sleep and wakefulness

i am the perfect juror

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Regrettable posted:

Prison guards are usually the guys that are so lovely they failed the extremely low requirements for being a cop.
We got one of those types once at the security company I work for. Now, as I've mentioned in other threads, we're not armed security. We sit in a shack by a FedEx freight yard, we wave friendly-like to the FedEx trucks, we call in to the dock to ask them where they want the non-FedEx trucks. It ain't complicated, and it ain't glamorous, but it's fifteen bucks an hour.
Dude didn't last two months before claiming he was quitting because he was bored. Big muscle-bro type with the lovingly cultivated high and tight flat top. XCOM Squaddie looking motherfucker, decides security work is beneath him. Jackass, boring is *good* for a guard!

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Play posted:

i have never seen a news program in my life, I'm too dumb to have an opinion about literally anything, and words coming out of people's mouths signify nothing to me. my vision is restricted to a 2 degree cone directly in front of me, as if I were in the darkest cave. i have never had a thought in my life, i refuse to react to external stimuli, and i mysteriously live in the zone between sleep and wakefulness

i am the perfect juror

Sorry, I’m going to ask you to be excused because you haven’t seen 20 years of news stories downplaying tort cases as frivolous.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
is jones ever gonna come back to that court? I'm gonna be sad if we don't get more jones freaking out on the stand.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

LifeSunDeath posted:

is jones ever gonna come back to that court? I'm gonna be sad if we don't get more jones freaking out on the stand.

While the spectacle is, well, a spectacle, I think for the families sake it might be best that he is far from CT.

Like in the depths of the ocean.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

LifeSunDeath posted:

He will be back, Pattis said he's calling him to the stand. I think he said that Friday

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

LifeSunDeath posted:

He's supposed to be back sometime this week. The most recent Knowledge Fight ep goes over his 'special report' from Saturday where he said he would be back to 'tell his side' this week.

Along with a lot of other whining and casting of aspersions on the plantiffs and their lawyer

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Pattis said he wants to call back Alex either Wednesday or Thursday, although I suspect if Alex has anything to say about he’s gonna stay in Texas for as long as possible.

Lord Harbor
Apr 17, 2005
Bruce Campbell: You've stolen my heart, but you'll never take my freedom
Nap Ghost
I'm a bit confused on this. So the prosecution (or whatever you call the parents' lawyer in a civil case) called Jones and questioned him, then Jones' lawyer chose not to question him. When they bring him back, is it a delayed cross-examination or will the prosecution get to cross-examine Jones again afterwards? Basically, if Jones comes back to the stand, will only the defense get to question him or do both sides get another shot?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Lord Harbor posted:

I'm a bit confused on this. So the prosecution (or whatever you call the parents' lawyer in a civil case) called Jones and questioned him, then Jones' lawyer chose not to question him. When they bring him back, is it a delayed cross-examination or will the prosecution get to cross-examine Jones again afterwards? Basically, if Jones comes back to the stand, will only the defense get to question him or do both sides get another shot?

The defense will be bringing him on as a defense witness. Defense questions Alex first, then the plaintiffs.

The plaintiff will get to cross-examine him on anything the defense brings up (which is also how re-direct would have worked - except theoretically the defense would only be able to present on issues the plaintiffs discussed)

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Malachite_Dragon posted:

We got one of those types once at the security company I work for. Now, as I've mentioned in other threads, we're not armed security. We sit in a shack by a FedEx freight yard, we wave friendly-like to the FedEx trucks, we call in to the dock to ask them where they want the non-FedEx trucks. It ain't complicated, and it ain't glamorous, but it's fifteen bucks an hour.
Dude didn't last two months before claiming he was quitting because he was bored. Big muscle-bro type with the lovingly cultivated high and tight flat top. XCOM Squaddie looking motherfucker, decides security work is beneath him. Jackass, boring is *good* for a guard!

His dream job is probably to be on a fascist death squad. He wants the violence of police/military work but none of the responsibility.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Streams up https://youtu.be/9sNtN-P34yg

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

And we're starting, with Plaintiff's arguing about Jones' attempts to bias the jury

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Left channel's out. Thought maybe there was something wrong with my headphones, but no it's the source.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

mojo1701a posted:

Left channel's out. Thought maybe there was something wrong with my headphones, but no it's the source.

It's also out for me

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Interesting, so Jones' is unlikely to testify this week if at all

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
My jury duty story is that I parked in the wrong lot and found out that the daily pay is exactly the same as the cost for parking in the not at all well marked lot. Interesting coincidence.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

I missed it, who's the current witness?

Also, every time I hear "Norwich" I'm reminded of Alan Partridge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

mojo1701a posted:

I missed it, who's the current witness?

Also, every time I hear "Norwich" I'm reminded of Alan Partridge.

Ian Hockley, one of the Sandy Hook parents.