Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

change my name posted:

Here's a cool keyboard I saw on display at the industrial design section of the new National Museum in Oslo:

I guess it's like 150%?

Angre Slutt is a good Twitter name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dimestore Merlin
Jul 14, 2007

Obey your Spider-Lord

~Coxy posted:

I'm pressing Scroll Lock+F11 as hard as I can and it's not bringing the Funk, what gives?

Look again, you need Scroll Lock+F10.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
tag yourself I'm "HJELP"

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

im slutt

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

im screaming face

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
constipated thomas the tank engine

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Mr. Yuk lookin rear end keycap.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

I'm really tempted to pull the trigger on this monstrosity, but drat is it expensive. $650 oof.
https://phenotype.us/products/gb-witf-case?variant=39460870717665

.Z. fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Sep 27, 2022

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
Catching up on this thread and do people still recommend buying from WASD? Or is Keychron the preferred choice these days?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Nah, the thread's preferred choice is something super esoteric you pay $500+ for on Massdrop and then wait a year or two to get.

If you mean below that price point then yeah Keychron is in favor. Beats the poo poo out of me why, the boards are adequate but they are a horrible company whose business model of Zero Customer Service, Ever ought not be encouraged.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

lol yes ideally <$200 with minimal assembly required

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

Catching up on this thread and do people still recommend buying from WASD? Or is Keychron the preferred choice these days?

I'm still a big fan of my CODE (WASD backlit offering) but Keychron has a backlit hot-swappable option for like a quarter of the price so while I may not like them as a company it's hard to not gamble on the fact that I won't need support.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

.Z. posted:

I'm really tempted to pull the trigger on this monstrosity, but drat is it expensive. $650 oof.

Keychron just launched something similar today for $200~ (no numpad though) https://www.keychron.com/products/keychron-q10-alice-layout-qmk-custom-mechanical-keyboard

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

.Z. posted:

christ what's the width of that thing

also the group buy runner is 16 years old, credit to them for being transparent about that but still that's a lot of money to trust to a kid

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Yeah I think the thread preference for Keychron has a lot to do with the thread being largely populated with people who have soldering irons and aren't afraid to use them, i.e. don't need customer support anyway, if our keyboard doesn't work out of the box we can strip it down to its base components, identify which one(s) fail to work, replace them, and reassemble the whole thing. And we will enjoy it.

We really shouldn't be recommending Keychron to people who can't or don't want to repair their keyboard themselves, though. Or at the very least please for the love of $DEITY if you must buy Keychron do it from Amazon so you can return it. You won't have that option if you buy direct from Keychron.

Under $200 and if you're not a bad enough dude for God's Own Keyboard, the buckling springs, then CODE is the way to go, if you don't mind it being only barely under $200. If you want a serviceable mechanical keyboard for cheap and don't care about hotswapping then I recommend Tecware.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Sep 27, 2022

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

.Z. posted:

That would go well with the Steel Battalion controller.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

lol yes ideally <$200 with minimal assembly required

if you need a keyboard now, i can strongly recommend the various sizes of ducky one 3 hotswap or wasd hotswap. I would avoid keychron unless you need wireless, and maybe even then

i will not weigh in on unreleased/preorder projects that are nominally better value/performance than either of these

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

good advice all round thanks fam

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

emdash posted:

if you need a keyboard now, i can strongly recommend the various sizes of ducky one 3 hotswap or wasd hotswap. I would avoid keychron unless you need wireless, and maybe even then

i will not weigh in on unreleased/preorder projects that are nominally better value/performance than either of these

Yeah, Ducky 3 is solid and good, simple and not too expensive and flexible since it's a hotswap and if you get more into it you can hotswap them out.

It's understandable that thread regulars are more into keyboards and really into uh, the "hobby" of making keyboards. Or buying them. Or just spending money on a potential keyboard a year from now.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

.Z. posted:

I'm not giving a literal child money with no recourse when they ghost or fail to manage this in a reasonable way.
Also the price on this thing is WAY more than it should be, even for a board of that size.
The GH thread started off pretty spicy
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=118282.0

$825 :stare:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
What was that keyboard site that grew astronomically more profitable after they changed their preorder model to take advantage of their keyboards' scarcity?

Sorry I don't remember the details. I wanted to remind myself how it worked.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Rinkles posted:

What was that keyboard site that grew astronomically more profitable after they changed their preorder model to take advantage of their keyboards' scarcity?

Sorry I don't remember the details. I wanted to remind myself how it worked.

Are you talking about KeyCult and Vickrey auctions?

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I'm not giving a literal child money with no recourse when they ghost or fail to manage this in a reasonable way.
Also the price on this thing is WAY more than it should be, even for a board of that size.
The GH thread started off pretty spicy
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=118282.0

$825 :stare:

Apparently they've run a GMK keycap group buy successfully in the past so that's already more trustworthy than some people on GeekHack but I will say I still would feel very uncomfortable giving them money.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Uznare posted:

Apparently they've run a GMK keycap group buy successfully in the past so that's already more trustworthy than some people on GeekHack but I will say I still would feel very uncomfortable giving them money.

This actually makes me feel less comfortable, not more. Keycaps are entirely different than board GB's with regards to the work that needs to be done, and the resources at your disposal. A successful keyset GB might give them some false confidence and leave them unprepared to handle the nuances of a board GB. Arch was fairly well designed keyset and Ram ran that through a vendor (because GMK only works with established vendors).
I would feel much better if this board were being run through an established vendor of legal age or if this was just a small gb run in discord or something, but a minor with an llc gives me real "trust me bro" vibes. I like even less that he's taking orders but has contracted out fulfilment to keyspensory.

Hopefully for the sake of everyone involved the kid has a fantastic manufacturer, and there's no issues.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

This actually makes me feel less comfortable, not more. Keycaps are entirely different than board GB's with regards to the work that needs to be done, and the resources at your disposal. A successful keyset GB might give them some false confidence and leave them unprepared to handle the nuances of a board GB. Arch was fairly well designed keyset and Ram ran that through a vendor (because GMK only works with established vendors).
I would feel much better if this board were being run through an established vendor of legal age or if this was just a small gb run in discord or something, but a minor with an llc gives me real "trust me bro" vibes. I like even less that he's taking orders but has contracted out fulfilment to keyspensory.

Hopefully for the sake of everyone involved the kid has a fantastic manufacturer, and there's no issues.

Didn't know about the age of the GB runner. Just ran into the thing while poking around for southpaw layouts and thought it was hilarious oddity.

The safer option is to twiddle my thumbs waiting for the AE Boards EXT65 round 2. Which will also be painfully expensive seeing as the R1 was $500 and that was before all the cost increases started happening over the past few years.

:smith:

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

brb registering an LLC under my infant's name

Bark! A Vagrant
Jan 4, 2007

Grad school is good for mental health

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Does anyone have any personal experience with the Moonlander? It’s a bit on the pricey side, and I’d probably swap out any of the switches on offer, but it’s really tempting as an ergonomic split option (of which there are few, near as I can tell)

Moonlander fuckin rules, it's been worth every penny for me. I had some shoulder pain that I think was caused by rotating slightly in to type, and since I've been using the Moonlander it's completely cleared up. Have you used a split board, or an ortholinear board before? Both of those changes will require an adjustment period, and there's a chance you won't click with both of them. Just make sure you're ready for it to take a few weeks to get used to, possibly more if you don't put some conscious effort in up front. Take some time to get the layers customized in a way that's useful for your work.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Thanks, I think this is it. I first learned about it from this thread linking a blog where a friend of the owner suggested an alternate model, and it ended up making them tons of money.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Sep 29, 2022

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

.Z. posted:

Fuuuuuck I said I wouldn't be buying another keyboard this year but I am drat tempted by this monstrosity

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
I saw this today

https://twitter.com/thpoll2/status/1573260216426430465?t=zngtTOeLSL1MDv80JJWf2Q&s=19

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Reminds me of that Art Lebedev keyboard, Optimus or something? Was absolutely amazing a decade ago, amd so is this one.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

LochNessMonster posted:

Reminds me of that Art Lebedev keyboard, Optimus or something? Was absolutely amazing a decade ago, amd so is this one.

Yeah I remember the Optimus being over $1k and thinking how goddamn expensive it was. Now the custom keyboard community has blown away all sense of keyboard price proportion. I'll still never spend over $200 on one.

Looks like they produced more versions of it, too:
https://www.artlebedev.com/optimus/

It makes sense with tiny OLED displays being just a few bucks that someone would put one in every key. A whole board will probably be pricey, but it's a cool project at that point.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

LochNessMonster posted:

it looked amazing, but apparently it was miserable to actually type on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qj7GYU-wedo&t=400s

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

repiv posted:

it looked amazing, but apparently it was miserable to actually type on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qj7GYU-wedo&t=400s

Yeah it was more of an art thing than anything else I think.

Still kicked rear end though.

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR
Just finished a new build that arrived (sandglass ergo) and it feels like the key press throw is really short before bottoming out.
I went from alu plate, zilent 63g switches, and thick MT3 caps to a skeleton plate, foam, holy pandas, and a GMK metro knockoff AliExpress keycap set while I’m waiting for good new caps to arrive.

Which component is most likely leading to this? Switch? Keycaps? Plate? I always assumed the travel distances on switches were all the same.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Probably the switches, silent switches usually have a little bit less throw than regular switches due to the dampening pads at the top and bottom

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Drop's daily email has a pretty cool ergo board, I wonder whSWEET GODDAMN CHRISTMAS THAT'S A PRICE TAG

bonus game: guess how much the price is before you click the link

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

death cob for cutie posted:

Drop's daily email has a pretty cool ergo board, I wonder whSWEET GODDAMN CHRISTMAS THAT'S A PRICE TAG

lmao i was off by half

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

death cob for cutie posted:

drat, I was shy by $600

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

lmao i was off by half
I read your post before making my guess and holy poo poo I was still off by more than half.