Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pygmy tyrant
Nov 25, 2005

*not a small business owner

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

loving lmao

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Tomn posted:

It might slow them down, perhaps? Even if the units aren't really worth much, the Ukrainians still have to slow down some and plan out how to destroy them, since a competent military can't just assume they'll roll over with no resistance whatsoever(that's how you get Hostomel) and a Mosin bullet can kill you just as dead if you're not paying attention. And once you're actually attacking a unit, all the usual friction of going on the offensive goes into play and disorganizes the Ukrainians a little more even if the Russians barely kill a single man. If you're already working under the assumption that the front is so empty that you can't stop the Ukrainians no matter what you do, slowing them down in the short term while possibly organizing something a little more capable of solid resistance in the medium term might seem worth it, if you're OK with tossing conscript lives into a woodchipper. Whether the Russians are at this point actually capable of organizing more solid resistance might be a question mark, but that might be the theory at least.

Like, that's the whole point of defense in depth, right? It's not about creating a massive impenetrable defensive line, it's about creating line after line that the attackers have to overcome, each of which individually they can but each of which slows them down enough for the defender to arrange a countermove?

Simply having more dudes can be useful to an extent, but relying on troops with poor training and morale can create significant vulnerabilities. Stalingrad is a classic example - as the battle went on, more and more German troops and equipment were funneled into the city, while the flanks were guarded by less motivated/equipped Italian, Hungarian, and Romanian troops. The Soviets ended up attacking these flanks, breaking through and surrounding the German forces within the city, forcing their surrender.

That's not to say these quasi-Volkssturm units won't have any impact - their mere presence will force Ukrainian offensives to slow down. But it's robbing Peter to pay Paul - because these units are going to cost just as much in food, ammunition, and fuel as any other unit on the line, but they're going to be much, much less capable and reliable, and will fall apart at the worst possible time.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

:laffo:

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Sounds like WWI

https://mobile.twitter.com/MalcontentmentT/status/1574277002424913920

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Acebuckeye13 posted:

. But it's robbing Peter to pay Paul - because these units are going to cost just as much in food, ammunition, and fuel as any other unit on the line,

I see the flaw in your analysis, assuming Russia intends to keep these ersatz soldiers in supply.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

If true then even worse than I expected. I was thinking fed into a defense for minimal efficacy but, human wave on a modern battlefield is just, lol wat?

Edit: Can your battlefield tactical plan be used as evidence of warcrimes against your own people?

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

:five:

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Make this the forum stylesheet.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Murgos posted:

Edit: Can your battlefield tactical plan be used as evidence of warcrimes against your own people?

We're gonna find out!

Unless those shoddy russian windows get him too

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

:thurman:

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

jesus christ

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I looked at the Telegram and quickly regretted it.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

:lmao:

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Murgos posted:

If true then even worse than I expected. I was thinking fed into a defense for minimal efficacy but, human wave on a modern battlefield is just, lol wat?

There's pics coming out on Telegram and Reddit from the area that are basically Highway of Death, Ukraine Edition.

I guess the main question is at what point does this trigger a revolution. I mean, 1905 and 1917 both began thanks to massive military incompetence in wartime. (1941 would have as well if Nazi Germany weren't a bunch of genocidal maniacs)

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Sep 27, 2022

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
They've lost as many men in 7 months as the US lost in 10 years in Vietnam. It's crazy.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GD_American posted:

I looked at the Telegram and quickly regretted it.

Those dudes didn’t look like they even had body armor. One guy looked like he had sneakers on.

Just an appallingly pointless waste of human life.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

Grip it and rip it posted:

Are you asking if the US government has ever acknowledged that spies killed overseas were a direct result of Snowden's actions? Like what are you looking for here? It would be something of a major coincidence if shortly after a massive cache of methods and intelligence was obtained by Russia that our spies in Asia and Europe started dropping like flies.

The US government has no problem with telling the world that a lot of spies have been getting killed in recent years, so your point that maybe they don't tell anyone seems entirely unsubstantiated.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Dance Officer posted:

The US government has no problem with telling the world that a lot of spies have been getting killed in recent years, so your point that maybe they don't tell anyone seems entirely unsubstantiated.

Oh do you have a list of the names of the spies that were killed?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Lum_ posted:

There's pics coming out on Telegram and Reddit from the area that are basically Highway of Death, Ukraine Edition.

I guess the main question is at what point does this trigger a revolution. I mean, 1905 and 1917 both began thanks to massive military incompetence in wartime. (1941 would have as well if Nazi Germany weren't a bunch of genocidal maniacs)

have you seen something of that scale or do you just mean in the sense of 'bombed out vehicles on the side of the road'

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

What kind of ridiculous argument is this? No government is going to name names, thats the fuckin point of espionage.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

John Bigboote
John Parker
John O'Connor
John Gomez
John Whorfin
John Yaya
John Small Berries

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Snowden's dumps were almost all related to SIGINT methods and wouldn't have really contained anything pertaining to human sources. The end result is that it wound up denying access to previous avenues of information gathering, including several in Europe targeted specifically at Russia.

Manning's absolutely did contain unredacted human sources, and there's always been rumors of it having to resulted in deaths. I haven't really looked into it, because finding anyone who's interested in analyzing that episode in an objective fashion is impossible.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Herstory Begins Now posted:

have you seen something of that scale or do you just mean in the sense of 'bombed out vehicles on the side of the road'

In the sense of “extremely NMS photos of virtually defenseless people post-slaughter”

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

How are those conscripts already at the front? The draft is like 4 days old or so??

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Torrannor posted:

How are those conscripts already at the front? The draft is like 4 days old or so??

If you look back at the last page or 2, there's been reports of conscripts being gathered up and sent straight to the front. They were also stepping up the pace of forcibly conscripting LNR/DNR folks in the weeks leading up to the Russian mobilization, so they may have hailed from closer afield.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
i remain quite skeptical of that specific malcontent tweet, I've seen nothing floating around beyond the same baseline level of carnage that comes out of this war, though I'm also not going to look that much for some godawful footage for obvious reasons. until they post whatever footage they claim to have, who knows tho

re the mobilization: it started the day before it was announced and it's already been 6-7 days. the recently mobilized people on the front is moderately attested to, tho it depends on how much credibility you give to Ukraine MoD and ISW and there's russian wives reporting husbands were already shipped off supporting it, too.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Sep 27, 2022

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

There have been conscripts on the frontline since day one of the war, they've just come from the DNR and LNR.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Much more light-hearted, I'm rewatching The Wire and the bit in the first episode of S2 where Sergei responds to being called Russian with "No, Ukraine, Kyiv is Ukraine" and Ziggy going "well, same difference right" hits a lot different in 2022 than it presumably did in 2003.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

loving Ziggy

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

Murgos posted:

Not if you don’t have one!

*insert guy tapping his head meme*

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/olliecarroll/status/1574683519296716800?s=20&t=qj0v4k3rm5ls2x1HRA7ApA

https://twitter.com/olliecarroll/status/1574684397248434177?s=20&t=qj0v4k3rm5ls2x1HRA7ApA

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
People are fleeing from Russian occupied Ukrainian territory into Ukraine? And they're being let through? It makes sense I guess but I'm rather surprised at how permeable these frontlines can be.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Fragrag posted:

People are fleeing from Russian occupied Ukrainian territory into Ukraine? And they're being let through? It makes sense I guess but I'm rather surprised at how permeable these frontlines can be.

Read the second embedded tweet, though.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
Wager there's a few SVR/GRU amongst that lot.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

IPCRESS posted:

Yup, hence the hesitance in a lot of the Eastern European countries to let them through.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

IPCRESS posted:

They’re easy enough to weed out, just look for a bunch of sequential passport numbers.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

gay picnic defence posted:

They’re easy enough to weed out, just look for a bunch of sequential passport numbers.

And flying 5 hours for a single day trip to visit a cathedral

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://twitter.com/COUPSURE/status/1574741612093181952?t=TMRe6WeIlPYzJ8YAllp3NA&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

https://www.theguardian.com/world/l...f08ef7e8107b31e

OH GEE HOW UNEXPECTED.

quote:

Swedish seismologists registered explosions near the Nord Stream pipelines – reports
The Swedish national broadcaster SVT is reporting that seismologists registered explosions near the Nord Stream pipelines in the last 36 hours. In a report published in the last few minutes it said:

SVT can reveal that measuring stations in both Sweden and Denmark registered strong underwater explosions in the same area as the gas leaks on Monday. “There is no doubt that these are explosions,” says Björn Lund, lecturer in seismology at the Swedish National Seismic Network, SNSN.

The first explosion was recorded at 02.03am on the night of Monday and the second at 7.04pm on Monday evening.

The warnings about the gas leaks came from the Maritime Administration at 1.52pm and 8.41pm on Monday, respectively, after ships detected bubbles on the surface.

SVT has obtained the coordinates of the measured explosions and they are in the same area where the gas leaks were registered.

It further quoted Lund saying of the measurements: “You can clearly see how the waves bounce from the bottom to the surface. There is no doubt that it was a blast. We even had a station in Gnosjö that picked this up.”